Scratch off Campbell

Scratch off Campbell

• Discussion
  • Let him eat corn

• This is an unfortunate turn of events. Possibly related to USC coaching search.

• They will all use SC to get extension and raises he must have been contacted by SC and went back to their administrators at ISU and ask to match $ or he's out.

This post was edited by Trojanfolife11X 9 days ago

• Trojanfolife11X said... (original post) They will all use SC to get extension and raiseshe must have been contacted by SC and went back to their administrators at ISU and ask to m...

FSU...

• Campbell is 26-24 in 4 seasons as head coach.

Add in this years 7-5 and you'd swear helton was head coach at Iowa state.

Mediocre at its FINEST!!!!

• GusFring505 said... (original post) Campbell is 26-24 in 4 seasons as head coach.Add in this years 7-5 and you'd swear helton was head coach at Iowa state.Mediocre at its FIN...

I'd respect this argument more coming from someone who hasn't held up Kevin Sumlin and Kris Richard among others as great coaches.

• GusFring505 said... (original post) Campbell is 26-24 in 4 seasons as head coach.Add in this years 7-5 and you'd swear helton was head coach at Iowa state.Mediocre at its FIN...

Before Campbell, since 2008, ISU was 2-10,3-9, 7-6, 5-7, 6-7, 6-7, 3-9, 2-10, 3-9.

• editnorth said... (original post) Before Campbell, since 2008, ISU was 2-10,3-9, 7-6, 5-7, 6-7, 6-7, 3-9, 2-10, 3-9.

So what, his record is still average in a far below average conference, other than OU

• OxyTrojan said... (original post) So what, his record is still average in a far below average conference, other than OU

Given Iowa St football history, he's exceeded expectations and has turned the program around. Matt is 62-39 overall as a HC.
  • OxyTrojan said... (original post) So what, his record is still average in a far below average conference, other than OU

If you cant see that he's turned the program around, that's on you.

• He went triple OT with Northern Iowa and just lost to Kansas State. He had a lot starters coming back too. No thanks.

he does not get good players at iowa st and still competes well. he is not my top choice, but I think he is a good coach.

• trojans2015 said... (original post) I'd respect this argument more coming from someone who hasn't held up Kevin Sumlin and Kris Richard among others as great coaches.

Because Dino Barbers is light years better huh?

GTFOH fish sticks...

trojans2015
    Posted on Oct 29th, 2018, 5:11 PM, , User Since 99 months ago, User Post Count: 1,935
    Oct 29th, 2018, 5:11 PM
    99 months
    I like Babers, but I have some reservations:

- Before this year, he'd never done better than 4-8 in a season at Cuse. I know they weren't in good shape before he took over, but it's still reason for hesitation.
    - He did decently at Bowling Green, but they weren't bad when he took over (10-4 the year before).
    - Syracuse has a pretty bad defense. Babers could probably improve our offense considerably, but he'd need to hire a good DC to have a chance at fixing things on D, which is necessary to make us nationally relevant again.
    - Cuse is improved this year, but needing 2OT to beat an awful North Carolina team at home, plus a loss to Pitt, still gives me pause.

Bottom line for me - if he finishes the year strongly (say 9-3 with either an upset of ND or a competitive loss) and we exhaust better options, I'd be open to taking a chance on him. As I said earlier, I think he would be really dependent on a good DC (someone better than Clancy) to succeed.

YOU MEDIOCRE ARSE HOLE...

This post was edited by GusFring505 9 days ago

• GusFring505 said... (original post) Because Dino Barbers is light years better huh?GTFOH fish sticks...trojans2015Posted on Oct 29th, 2018, 5:11 PM, , User Since 99 months ago, Us...

GusFring505 said... (original post)

I believe Kevin Sumlin could come to USC and have a run better than PC did.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/board/29/Contents/deer-gusfring505-helton-skelton-makes-a-top33-list-117156115/?page=1#M117165307

• trojans2015 said... (original post) I'd respect this argument more coming from someone who hasn't held up Kevin Sumlin and Kris Richard among others as great coaches.

Don’t forget about Mel Tucker, David Shaw, and Herm Edwards.

• 89 til Infinity said... (original post) Don’t forget about Mel Tucker, David Shaw, and Herm Edwards.

If you don't hire him your racissuser generated

• Why does gus love BBC so much?

• DeMatDeTes said... (original post) Why does gus love BBC so much?

The heart wants what the heart wants.

This is not really that complicated. Helton would not have been able to do what Campbell has done at Iowa State. Not even close. Campbell has overachieved with a historically garbage program and Helton has underachieved with a historically strong program. You can't just look at their W-L records and compare them directly. Does anyone think Saban would have won the Big 12 this year with Iowa State's roster? Top notch coaches still have to have top notch players in order to win it all.

It’s not average when you consider Ames Iowa is in the middle of nowhere and Iowa State is a traditional doormat team. Context is everything. The same people saying Campbell is average would have never given Saban a chance. He was even more average than Campbell is in his tenure at MSU and outside of 1 years at LSU. What really should be asked is if you can field a competitive team and build a program. Campbell has proven he can. He’s also beat teams way better than his team. He has the makings of a great coach.

• OklahomaTrojan said... (original post) He went triple OT with Northern Iowa and just lost to Kansas State. He had a lot starters coming back too. No thanks.

Northern Iowa is a good small school. They’re akin to Appalachian State. You’re acting like it’s a crime for Iowa State to lose to Kansas who is traditionally a better program. The logic you dudes use is incredible. Kansas State has won Big 12 titles. They also have a really good coach in Klinesman.

• GusFring505 said... (original post) Because Dino Barbers is light years better huh?GTFOH fish sticks...trojans2015Posted on Oct 29th, 2018, 5:11 PM, , User Since 99 months ago, Us...

Hilarious that you went diving through my history for that. Even the post you quote expresses a bunch of reservations about him, and was contingent on several things. I liked what he did at Syracuse last year, but was cautious about the limited track record of success. I would have taken him (along with a good DC) over Helton, but he was far from my first option. I think he may still be a good coach, tough to win consistently at Cuse, but I wouldn't take him coming off of a 5-7 season (still probably better than Helton tho, I doubt Helton could ever win 10 games at Syracuse and he went 5-7 last year with USC talent).

More to the point, I didn't hold up Babers while dissing anyone else besides Helton. You dismiss guys like Campbell while boosting other guys that are clearly inferior. The inconsistency is what I'm highlighting.

This post was edited by trojans2015 8 days ago

• Aww man, he was #1 on my list

It's all relative, Gus. Iowa State was a dog's dog in CF before Campbell. BUT, if he thinks he has it made there, he'd better lookup the history of Kansas State. For over 100 years, they were just about the WORST program in CF; after some success, they now have the expectations of a major program.

• TroyJD said... (original post) It's all relative, Gus. Iowa State was a dog's dog in CF before Campbell. BUT, if he thinks he has it made there, he'd better lookup ...

Iowa State is the wazzu of the Big8/12. They could always count on beating K-State until Bill Synder resurrected the Mildcats program.