So IS Bama gonna drop us for TCU? That would inflate our overall

So IS Bama gonna drop us for TCU? That would inflate our overall

• record artificially, of course, but might just keep the dufus afloat at lest one more year. Oh the humanity!

• Discussion
  • No way, no way, no way, no way and no way......

SC will... play Bama in September and Helton will have to deal with it.

• eftzoons said... (original post)So IS Bama gonna drop us for TCU?

If they do, and we manage to cruise through the schedule, then Helton will cement himself as the luckiest Muthaphucker in the history of Muthaphuckery.

• ALREADY cemented.

• Let's just wait and see if the L A schools get to play this fall. L A and the County is on it way for another shutdown.

• oldmanjay66 said... (original post)Let's just wait and see if the L A schools get to play this fall. L A and the County is on it way for another shutdown.

Outside of the box solution: Move both teams and staffs to less infected county or counties for duration of season. Distance learning for any classes not a problem. Needs: practice fields/ offices, hotels, facilities, etc. Not cheap, may run 5-6 million per team, but those costs offset by TV revenue, revenue that would totally be lost if ucla and/or usc cancels.

This post was edited by PaulDrakeLives 3 months ago

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Outside of the box solution: Move both teams and staffs to less infected county or counties for duration of season. Distance learning for any ...

An idea that should have already been in the works. It might be too late to set something like that into motion now.

This post was edited by oldtrojan 93 3 months ago

• Drake strikes home again with one very enlightened post. Seems a very good idea to me. anyhow.

• Great Idea, Perry Mason

• oldtrojan 93 said... (original post)If they do, and we manage to cruise through the schedule, then Helton will cement himself as the luckiest Muthaphucker in the history of Muthap...

Helton could not "cruise through" playing a scrimmage against air. He will find a way to bungle at least 2 games on his own, and his weak prep insures our Heltonized players will have weakened since arriving under his special "care." (not talking primarily S&C here). Put simply, if one of the definitions of good leadership is that the leader makes those around him or her better, Helton is the opposite: he weakens everything he touches or associates with, whether it's players or staff.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Outside of the box solution: Move both teams and staffs to less infected county or counties for duration of season. Distance learning for any ...

Substantial crazy talk here. You want to quarantine teams through the season? Drugs are bad, mkay?

Bama stands to make 6 mill from this game. At best, you'd be looking at break even for one game under your hypothetical situation. Probably lose money on the rest of the season, since TV revenue isn't going to cover the shortfall in ticket revenue. Bama sells out most games - a foreign concept to USC, but it happens to other teams.

Good luck finding "less infected county or counties" with the required facilities. If you can find them AND they're not already in use, they aren't going to be cheap. Not to mention input from families, girlfriends, etc... are totally going to keep some players from participating. Not to mention distance learning does not apply to all courses, particularly higher up the class rank or those that require hands-on labs (chemistry and biology come to mind).

If week zero and week 1 games are cancelled, chances are the season is cancelled. The season may well wind up being cancelled after a few games, anyway, particularly if there is fan attendance and someone catches something and sues someone.

I cannot see how this is practical in any way, much less a good idea.

• crimsoninnky said... (original post)Substantial crazy talk here. You want to quarantine teams through the season? Drugs are bad, mkay?Bama stands to make 6 mill from this game. At ...

There are those who welcome ideas. Then there are those who are open to ideas. Then there are those like you. I answered some of your "points" in my original email, but you overlooked that. The situation in LA County is different than in either Podunk or Possum Counties, you have no clue. The issue is not whether this is a great idea when looked at abstractly. Here, let me use an analogy you'll understand. Say your dad, who is the head preacher of the Holy Snakes and Apostolic Junction Church of Bear Bryant, goes to open up the church one fine Sunday morning, only to find out that his prized copperhead snake ("Biter 1") has escaped and is somewhere in the sanctuary. He searches and searches. Nothing. Then the church doors open and, as BJ says, "the regular crowd shuffles in." All of a sudden Biter 1 emerges from behind a pew and heads for your daughter. One of the parishioners pulls out his always handy .45 and blows it away, thus saving your daughter. Unfortunately, two people lose their hearing because of the gunshot. So, was it "ideal" for your parishioner to shoot the snake with a weapon like that? Maybe not. But he saved your little girl, Julie May. So now she can grow up and marry your nephew Billy Bob.

Like that. Got it? Or do I need to put it in possum? When someone is drowning, one is disinclined to sniff that the rope thrown to them is dirty.

• It's looking more and more like conference games only or even move season to spring. Spring might not be that bad and idea specially if fans can go to games. TV coverage would be way better if pac12 is the only conference playing football in the spring. I would rather see some football than the whole season cancelled.

• Truth be told, with the latest uptick in infections happening in Texas now, no one might be playing.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)There are those who welcome ideas. Then there are those who are open to ideas. Then there are those like you. I answered some of your "p...

The only coherent point in your entire rant is the condescension. Congratulations. You also employed the Republican defense: when you cannot deny, refute or defend, immediately change the subject. Nice combination, although the subject matter is way off point.

By the way, it's spelled "opossum". That USC education shining through, I suppose.

LA county is in a situation of its' own making. Just like the rest of California, too many rights, too little responsibility, and now you get to pay the price. How big a price that will be is yet to be determined, but thanks to people like you, it will be higher than it had to be. Now you have to do it the hard way, so more people will get sick, more will wind up in hospitals, more will die, and this will drag on until who knows when.

You're so desperate to watch people play a game that you're willing to put 105+ people in quarantine for August through December somewhere off campus and spend much more than the paltry 5-6 million than you "estimated". Money your athletic department doesn't have. And riddle me this: Has anyone asked any of those 105+ people if they think it's a good idea to jump through those hoops? Do they think it's a good alternative?

• PDL was simply giving other scenarios as to how NCAA football could play. Obviously a lot of people aren't even paying attention to MLB rules they are putting in place. I'll share a few just to give you an idea as to why I highly doubt we see any sports in Liberfornia. No sunflower seeds or spitting. Each batter must have their own rosen bag and donuts. If there's a runner on base the opposing team cannot talk to runner on base. If a ball is hit in foul grounds all players on field must get out of way if runner. Base coaches cannot leave the area and approach base runner to talk. Players must get their own glove and equipment, even if they are the last out. No high fives, fist bumps or hugging your own teammates. Any player that argues with umpire and invades 6 foot rules is subject to suspension and fines. Players are encouraged not to throw ball around infield after an out. Catcher must walk onto the grass if they want to relay signs to the infield. Pitchers must have their own wet rag to get their fingers wet because you can no longer lick fingers. Mascots are allowed in stadium, but not onto the field. All individuals entering stadium must fill out questionnaires and are subject to Coronavirus test every other day. So if you can't high 5 your own teammate or come within 6 feet of them, how do you suppose there will be a huddle? What will they run out iPad to every player on field and have a zoom huddle? Every player must wear gloves? With rules like this, it's not even worth playing. It's a wonder people haven't realized that control is the only game that will be played all year. Say goodbye to your freedom and sports.

This post was edited by CalSCBrown76 3 months ago