Some Chatter Coming In

Some Chatter Coming In

• Chatter coming in that Bohn is trying to finalize a new coaching hire so he can announce at the same time he fires Helton. Bohn wants to do this the right way and seperate from the past ADs who had no clue how to hire. Aslo, Bohn is trying to get a meeting set up with Helton for a face to face either tomorrow or day after. We may have to endure this another 24 + hours. Holding very close to the vest, but thinking is, not Meyer but still someone who fan base will be truly excited about.

• Discussion
  • Saban moving West to avoid Coach O? :)

• I do hope this is the case. Seems like with all this turmoil, if Helton was staying, Bohn would have squashed it today. I can wait if they truly are finalizing a deal.

• Grouler1 said... (original post) not Meyer but still someone who fan base will be truly excited about.

What other coaches would the fan base be truly excited about? After all this Meyer talk all year, it seems like anyone else is going to be a let down.

• racea911 said... (original post) What other coaches would the fan base be truly excited about?

Rhule, Campbell, Norvell, Franklin... & Fleck, maybe?

This post was edited by oldtrojan 93 4 days ago

• I'm just giving you the info that I was given which is probably imperfect. Still could be Meyer. It is who I want, but would be stoked with Campbell, Franklin, Wittingham, even Fickell/ Rhule.

This post was edited by Grouler1 4 days ago

• racea911 said... (original post) What other coaches would the fan base be truly excited about? After all this Meyer talk all year, it seems like anyone else is going to be a let d...

My god. Would love to get Meyer, but there are some other great options out there. Helton is an absolutely terrible football coach with an even worse rolodex. It is not a stretch that somebody besides Meyer can get this program back to a championship level.

• I really want Meyer to be our coach and it is true with all the talk for so long it will be a major disappointment not to get him. All other coaches would be a 1A at best. Personally I don't want Franklin. He, as all the coaches mentioned would be a huge improvement over Helton but I don't know if he could be a NC HC. I'm not sure he will ever be that great coach that takes titles. I'd rather go with a HC like Campbell who isn't proven yet but has all the potential or someone like Petersen if available who has over achieved at small schools. He took a less talented UW to the playoffs. Franklin didn't at Penn St. Just my opinion.

This post was edited by Hockey10 4 days ago

• I'm not a Meyer or bust guy. ANY of these guys you all are mentioning are 100x's the coach Helton was when we for some reason hired him to learn on the job here. These guys all have resume's and Helton had no resume at all so yes, any of these guys would make me happy. Franklin I am less thrilled about than the others.

Regarding Petersen taking UW to the playoffs and Franklin not taking PSU to the playoffs, Petersen didn't have an Ohio State to go through to get to the playoffs. No chance UW sniffs the playoffs if Ohio State was in the PAC 12.

• At the end of the day, Franklin is just another Sark-esque young guy whose reputation and name recognition exceed his talents as a coach. Just another ex QB who loses big games. If he's the hire, that's a big "Meh" from me. Pretty much all the other names on the short list would be better imo

This post was edited by WebbTowerAdult 4 days ago

• racea911 said... (original post) I'm not a Meyer or bust guy. ANY of these guys you all are mentioning are 100x's the coach Helton was when we for some reason hired him to learn o...

Petersen played atleast 4 teams in the top 25 that year including a loss to #3 USC. Penn St could have lost to Ohio St. and went 11-1. That would get them in. Petersen got in losing to USC and going 10-2 so using the tougher conference excuse isn't working for me.
  • If Bohn is going to have it all nailed down at the same time (fire Helton, hire coach xxx), it’ll need to be someone that is available now (Meyer, Petersen, gasp Del Rio).

• Pass on Franklin, the guy does not win big games. Lost to Clay in the RB, lost to Minn and OSU this year. We need a proven winner, I think Bohn knows he will be defined by this hire and cannot mess it up.

• TrojanZeke said... (original post) If Bohn is going to have it all nailed down at the same time (fire Helton, hire coach xxx), it’ll need to be someone that is available now (Meye...

Peterson ain’t coming and I don’t think he’s a good fit anyway. I’d prefer JdR to him and franklin. JDR is a tough guy. He would be a clear culture changer. Hard nosed football that we could be proud of. I am so sick of being a soft team.

• racea911 said... (original post) What other coaches would the fan base be truly excited about? After all this Meyer talk all year, it seems like anyone else is going to be a let d...

Don't underestimate the "anyone but Helton" sentiment that pervades us all....Reality can set in later. For now, drinks on the house!

• Grouler1 said... (original post) Chatter coming in that Bohn is trying to finalize a new coaching hire so he can announce at the same time he fires Helton. Bohn wants to do this t...

Who are you, Richard Crenna talking to Raven (John Rambo)?? With Tim Tessalone playing Sheriff Will Teasle? Are you one of those guys who sits in a dark room with a scanner going 24/7?

• Grouler1 said... (original post) I'm just giving you the info that I was given which is probably imperfect. Still could be Meyer. It is who I want, but would be stoked with Campbe...

So USC is "hesitant" to pay helton buyout but would pay the buyouts of the mediocre coaches you listed?

BTW, ain't you the delta airlines info guy?
  • oldtrojan 93 said... (original post) Rhule, Campbell, Norvell, Franklin... & Fleck, maybe?

No, no, no and no..,

• TrojanZeke said... (original post) If Bohn is going to have it all nailed down at the same time (fire Helton, hire coach xxx), it’ll need to be someone that is available now (Meye...

What I like about all 3 of these names is Defense. They all get it. I, like many am skeptical of Del Rio. He has had some success in the pros but he's an unknown to us and the recruits in college. He may bring the toughness, disapline, and attitude this team needs or he may not have what it takes to succeed at the college level. I personally feel we need a sure hire this time. We have to reestablish that we are serious about Football to the team, recruits, and fans. Possibly with the right hires at coordinators and a solid dedication to fundamentals Del Rio could work. Meyer is a no brainer and Petersen with the right staff and more skill then he's ever had may really turn this team into something special.
  • If he’s set on firing Helton I don’t think there’s any benefit to dragging out the uncertainty until a new hire is finalized. The problem with the post kiffin and sark process wasn’t that they didn’t have a guy lined up already (if rumors are correct, Haden was in fact pretty set on sark when kiffin got fired).

• Hockey10 said... (original post) I really want Meyer to be our coach and it is true with all the talk for so long it will be a major disappointment not to get him. All other coach...

Franklin has gotten the most out of every team he has coached. People said he would fail at Penn State, he hasn’t. Plays in the toughest division in his conference on the side with the traditional best teams in OSU and Michigan. He has beaten both. I really don’t know what more anyone can ask from the man? No Big 10 school is going to consistently beat OSU when they’re at their apex. He’s a great coach. At a school like SC he would take the next step imo. Penn State has nowhere near the access to talent or recruiting advantage SC has. He’d get the best of the best instead of getting leftovers that Ohio State doesn’t want. theblogic people use against him is off. He’s a damn good coach. I’d definitely take him if I couldn’t land Urban.

• WebbTowerAdult said... (original post) At the end of the day, Franklin is just another Sark-esque young guy whose reputation and name recognition exceed his talents as a coach. Ju...

Loses big games? He’s beaten OSU and Michigan. Who do you dudes think Penn State is lol? Nobody wins 100% of they games or college football would be littered with undefeated teams it’s not...

• usctrojanglory said... (original post) Loses big games? He’s beaten OSU and Michigan. Who do you dudes think Penn State is lol? Nobody wins 100% of they games or college football ...

You lose to helton with Saquon Barkley and everything else you have done goes out the door...
  • Ive been saying for a while now, its the financial buy out. Solve that first

• GusFring505 said... (original post) You lose to helton with Saquon Barkley and everything else you have done goes out the door...

We had Sam Darnold, Ju Ju, Rasheem, Adoree bruh knock it off.

• trojans2015 said... (original post) If he’s set on firing Helton I don’t think there’s any benefit to dragging out the uncertainty until a new hire is finalized. The problem with ...

It could be that Bohn will keep Helton if he can not get someone he really wants as HC. While I personally think there are many many coaches who would be upgrades, why pay off Helton if you can not get a high calibre replacement. One thing that should obvious is that it is a lot easier to fire a bad coach than it is to hire a great one.