Some things to know about Arizona State……..

Some things to know about Arizona State……..

• Overall: In a lot of ways ASU is like USC this year-sometimes good (W vs. Michigan State 10-7, beat WSU 38-34) but play bad games as well (lost to Colorado 31-34 and UCLA 32-42 and was shut down by Utah 3-21 despite 4 Utah TOs). Like USC they are led by a true Freshman QB in Jayden Daniels who sometimes exhibits frosh characteristics regarding decisions. Coach Herm Edwards had a pretty good year in 2018 (7-6) and was 5-4 in conference. ASU averaged 29.9 ppg offensively and gave up 25.5 ppg defensively. ASU is 13-22 vs. USC overall. USC won 6 of the last 10, and is 3-2 in the last five at Tempe.

ASU in 2019: They had started 3-0 (OOC) but are 2-3 in the last 5 (all conference games). The common opponents shared with USC are Colorado (USC-A 35-31,TYds 518-520,PassY408-324,RunY112-196/ ASU-H 31-34,TY453-475,PY345-337,RY108-138),and Utah (USC H 30-23,TY381-457,Pass Y368-210,RunY13-247/ ASU-A 3-21,TY136-342,PY25-191,RY111-151). USC is ranked 28th by Sagarin with the nations 4th toughest strength of schedule and ASU is ranked 42nd with the #37th toughest schedule. In conference ASU runs in about 52 % of its plays. USC passes in about 57% of its plays.

What USC must do to beat the Devils. Don’t turn the ball over. Overall ASU is better than USC in the TO margin. USC excels over ASU in the passing game, scoring O, converting 3rd and 4th downs, and on D in the sack area and TFL. Frosh QB Daniels doesn't toss many interceptions but takes lots of sacks. He can be rattled by pass rushes IMO. The defense by ASU can be stout at times but the offense is sporadic (held to 24 or less points in 4 games). Watch out for penalties. ASU isn't the lowest in the PAC12 but less than USC.

Bottom Line: Sagarin calls it as a 3 1/2 point game for USC , cut down to 1 1/2 since its at Tempe. It will be good to get back 2 more D starters but an returning USC RB like Carr could swing the game. This is a tough game but the defense in rushing the pass could well be the difference. My Forecast; USC 28 ASU 24.

This post was edited by GaryD 5 days ago

• Discussion
  • GaryD said... (original post) Overall: .What USC must do to beat the Ducks.

I thought it was the Sun Devils?
  • Morale is low. I wanna see if we can fight for the win

• This game will pivot on whether we can stop ASU's rushing attack (not great) and covering the edge. We have done better lately, even against Oregon, but given past death spiral's, this will either be a close game or ASU will pull away in the second half if they have success running, setting up the play action.

• These kids are more concerned about social media and trending other than winning. Dont believe me? Check out theit social media. They are more concerned about getting that perfect picture. Its annoying seeing O.G running out the tunnel doing his jump dab infront of cameras just so he can get comments and likes. Hope the next coach does a major overhaul on the roster.

• ASU will win.

• “Sagarin calls it as a 3 1/2 point game for USC , cut down to 1 1/2 since its at Tempe.”

You’re gonna have to spot our team a lot more than 2 points to make up for us playing on the road.

• The game will be a 30 to 30 tie. Oh wait there are no ties in college football anymore. Well I will row the dice on this game. Snake heads. Who wins?

Logically ASU should win but I'll probably be proven wrong.

• GaryD said... (original post) Overall: In a lot of ways ASU is like USC this year-sometimes good (W vs. Michigan State 10-7, beat WSU 38-34) but play bad games as well (lost to Co...

Gary, do ever pick sc to lose? It throws your objectivity right out the window when you show that you have no objectivity. we might beat asu. but did't you pick to win at nd, uw, and oregon? I think Vegas had usc as the dog. you are a good guy, but analysis always seems so biased towards sc.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) Gary, do ever pick sc to lose? It throws your objectivity right out the window when you show that you have no objectivity. we might bea...

Yeah I picked Notre Dame- I picked SC vs Utah, Stanford, Arizona, etc. My count is on this site 6-3 in posts.

I will give you the likelihood of picking USC over FSU, BYU and others but likely not against Stanford, and Utah. Perhaps ditto with not against Arizona . that puts you unofficially at 6-3 or 5-4. Am I wrong?

I actually put these 'things to know'' because I do look at a lot of things related to the game of which the opening post is but a little.

Sometimes things like TO's , inexperience, injuries, and yes Coaching decisions mess that up, but in the case of ASU they have similar problems, a lesser passing game and susceptibility to the sack and TFLs which puts a team off their game.

This post was edited by GaryD 5 days ago

• Gary, which teams head coach makes the front of your pants tight?

• I was at the game and just now started to watch the replay on TV. Looking at the final result showed domination by Oregon but in that Q1 it was all USC and showed what might have been, and wasn't.

USC was up 10-0 and completely dominated play on both sides of the ball. The stands were rocking. 10 min to 5 on TOP. 81 to 16 on yards gained. 4 of 6 3DC. And they had sacked Herbert twice and intercepted him (only his 2nd of the entire year). And USC was driving into the second quarter.

What happened? USC threw an interception at the Oregon 31...what else, that's their key fault this entire season. And the game started to turn. They later turned the ball over on a fumble inside the UO 5 and the game went South. We know the final result but what would have been if USC scored to make it a 17 point lead? Lots of "what if", but that's what ball games are all about.

If USC can play like they did the first 1 1/2 Q I think USC will win by 2 TDs or more. But TO's can make it the nail-biter I forecasted.

This post was edited by GaryD 4 days ago

• Two of the biggest issues with this team all year has never left the roost. USC can’t pass protect and they can’t stop the run (at least without giving up the house).

Any pressure on Slovis rattles him and he WILL throw an interception. Once he throws one interception, he tries to overcompensate and ends up throwing a lot more. And the lack of a running game means opposing teams will tee off on him, increasing that pressure. Finally, the offense is too simple, too predictable. You can almost guess the plays before they even happen.

Likewise, the defense plays slow. They’re naturally reactionary instead of imposing their will. Their lack of tackling ability, speed and proper angles is only matched by their lack of vision and anticipation; they‘re dumb, blind and slow out there with alligator arms. I’m sorry, I don’t know any nicer way to put it.

Someone like Saban could take a team full of walk-ons, coach them up and would almost assuredly beat a Helton team filled with 5*. And that’s not an exaggeration.

This post was edited by Shrapper 4 days ago

• GaryD said... (original post) Yeah I picked Notre Dame- I picked SC vs Utah, Stanford, Arizona, etc. My count is on this site 6-3 in posts. I will give you the likelihood of picki...

so you did pick usc to lose 3 times this year? or how many times did you pick sc to lose this year.? i thought sc would lose to nd, ore, uw, asu and utah this yr.