Swann’s greatest mistake has created all of this vitriol

Swann’s greatest mistake has created all of this vitriol

Arrow5
  • I admit that I’ve been very vitriolic in my assessment of Helton. Many of us have. Does he deserve all of this criticism and vitriol? In my opinion yes. Have we pushed it so far that it’s gone beyond good taste and decency? Maybe.

I think most of us are so bitter because we needlessly endured this for far too long and many of us felt it was entirely unnecessary. Helton should have been fired last year, plain and simple. That bad taste in our mouths was allowed to ferment and fester. As upset as we were last year, it steamrolled into something utterly ugly this year because Swann didn’t do the right thing at the right time.

I don’t post much, but I read these forums a lot and I can’t ever remember so much angst and hate against a coach. But I don’t necessarily blame Helton, not entirely, I mean if you were getting paid that much, would you willingly leave? I blame Swann more than anyone else. He put us in this situation...but I still honest to goodness dislike Helton as a coach and as a person very much; there’s just something very disingenuous about him. See, I never really felt that way about him last year, now I do. Thank you, Lynn Swann.

• Discussion
  • The disingenuous thing has been going on for quite some time. Even during sam’s second year I stopped watching the media scrums. Before that I always watched the instant analysis and coach pressers, but I had to stop bc it was so annoying listening to him say things that were obviously not true and which were clearly talking points and deflections of questions. I figured he was a phony then, but we were still doing all right, even though some of his decisions were really frustrating. When he started really losing there was just no room for forgiveness and you’re right, he was already beyond redemption for many fans, myself included, barring a playoff run and having to let the bad taste of him simmer for another unnecessary year has turned my annoyance with his schtick into full blown hate.

Then every time I think I need to calm down and have a heart he says some other Bs lie or gives the game ball to the AD and I remember he is making millions of dollars, doing a terrible job, and embarrassing the school every time he’s in public... then I feel less guilty. The guy makes 4 mil a year while sucking at his job and we’re supposed to be worried about his feelings? No way.

This post was edited by WebbTowerAdult 9 days ago

• I'm just wondering, do students share this vitriol? I remember Larry Smith getting yelled at by a student on campus once. Can anyone out there see that happening with Clay?

• Shrapper said... (original post) I admit that I’ve been very vitriolic in my assessment of Helton. Many of us have. Does he deserve all of this criticism and vitriol? In my opinio...

Part (most?) of the blame for the vitriol is the fact that if any of us performed so stupidly as Haden-Swann-Helton we would be fired immediately. But SC has paid them millions. That breeds anger.