The nagging trouble with our current coaching staff is that we

The nagging trouble with our current coaching staff is that we

• critics of this dismal business, critics of Clay Helton, critics of the air raid O as a gimmicky piece of duct tape soley attempting to shakily preserve Clay Heltons head coaching position be abandoned forthwith because, as we have so often declared, such a gimmicky Offense is in any case doomed inevitably to being replaced by an O that can run the ball in robust fashion. This inevitable abandonment of the Air Raid O must be recognized by all sober officers of the USC athletic department as a sort of elephant in the room we now are shutting our eyes to with immense foolishness.It is an unsolvable answer to all our diverse shortcomings. It leaves many wounds untreated and attempts to distract us from these wounds, to wit Clay Heltons inveterate soft and wussy "leadership" that promises never to be corrected short of firing Helton outright and starting afresh with an actual tough and football savvy head coach that is inherently devoted to tough practices, etc., which will be a keystone to our rehabilitation as a true blueblood college football force to be reckoned with, an elite program that can and must attract four and five star O linemen henceforward. We MUST be able to do such if we entertain ANY hope of returning to national relevancy, any hope of our making it to the playoff with the slightest hope of defeating any such program as was included in this past season's playoff, which, BTW does anyone out there actually see as a viable possibility whilst softy head coach, Clay helton, remains at the helm of USC's football team? If you do, then respond here now or forever hold your peace. We MUST and CAN, if only we really wish to, remove this conspicuous elphant in the room, meaning Caly Helton himself, or we are only whistling Dixie on all our vain efforts to build up toughness and football savy whilst making believe that this can be done under the head coaching of, again, Clay Helton.

• Discussion
  • eftzoons said... (original post)critics of this dismal business, critics of Clay Helton, critics of the air raid O as a gimmicky piece of duct tape soley attempting to shakily pre...

So what you're saying is that we have a cobbled-together Frankenstein monster with nothing in the brain pan??

• Beautifully put.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)So what you're saying is that we have a cobbled-together Frankenstein monster with nothing in the brain pan??

Thanks for the Cliffs.

• goslugsgo said... (original post)Thanks for the Cliffs.

Oh, I got visuals too. Here, Dr. Bohn tries to control his creation but in the end is rebuffed & Heltonstein goes berserk (all with love, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7NyKw0VYQ

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Oh, I got visuals too. Here, Dr. Bohn tries to control his creation but in the end is rebuffed & Heltonstein goes berserk (all with love, ...

And of course, in her first major role, Carol "Smiley" Folt will be playing Teri Garr's part this evening.....Thank you, remember, tip your waitress....

• I have never seen anything like this. It’s like they know Helton can’t get it done but refuse to get rid of him.

Instead, they’re spending money to build a strong foundation around him.

I like everything they have done, except fixing the actual problem

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)And of course, in her first major role, Carol "Smiley" Folt will be playing Teri Garr's part this evening.....Thank you, remem...

Ugh. Why did you have to do that to me? Now I have Folt singing “Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I’ve found you.” as Helton gives her *ahem* the game ball.

This post was edited by SCgrad96_ 18 days ago

• shryder83 said... (original post)I have never seen anything like this. It’s like they know Helton can’t get it done but refuse to get rid of him.Instead, they’re spending money to ...

Agreed. It is the dam*est thing I've ever seen, and it's obvious to everyone

• Yes, the damnedest flurry of patent tomfoolery I myself have ever beheld. With this nagging reality unaddressed, that any formidable D facing us, easily capable of handling our one dimensional O by dropping as many as eight men into coverage and double teaming any and all air raid receivers we falsely hope to flood and thus overwhelm them with, daring us to run. Yeah, we can always beat piss poor Pac 12 teams every year, but is this our ultimate goal at dear old Troy?

This post was edited by eftzoons 18 days ago

• eftzoons said... (original post)Yes, the damnedest flurry of patent tomfoolery I myself have ever beheld. With this nagging reality unaddressed, that any formidable D facing us, e...

You know, I would love to hear a reporter actually ask Folt what SHE thinks ought to be the ultimate goal of the football program, as to its results on the field (Ryan, are you listening?). After all, she's been here for a while now, and by now likely briefed on the basics of both football as a sport and SC's role historically in it. One could tell from her early banal pronouncements that she was basically clueless as to both issues, but there is no excuse now. Bohn should have had more than one sit-down with her by this point, getting her up to speed. Whether he did or not, and whether it sunk in are, of course, entirely other issues. But, as I see it, her job at the coming selection process for a new commissioner is to ally herself with the more football savvy presidents when it comes time for discussions and to vote. She just needs to stay out of the way and not do something stupid (sort of like Helton). So, if there are any P12 presidents who actually love the sport and respect its possibilities, the conference's only hope is that they be given free rein to select a football-first guy. And presidents like Folt need to go along---just raise their little hands or hit the right buttons on Zoom or Teams at the right time. No sand in the gears. If they hire someone even remotely like Scott, the conference is finished as a national player in football. It is on life-support now.

• shryder83 said... (original post)I have never seen anything like this. It’s like they know Helton can’t get it done but refuse to get rid of him.Instead, they’re spending money to ...

Nail+Head.

One of the most crazy things I've seen. And I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Bohn's office if he ever spoke frankly on this subject and what his strategy/reasoning is. As Paul points out, "cobbled together" is the only way I could describe it as well. But, here's what we know: this is all Bohn's doing. So I'd have to presume he has a plan. We know it was Bohn who was talking to Aranda, and almost landed him, before he was offered and accepted the Baylor gig. We know it was Bohn who then switched gears and got Orlando, which also included Naivar; and then went out and brought So'oto and Snyder aboard. His biggest coup to date is how he somehow convinced Williams to join this mess.

Where it gets interesting to me is the assistant coaching hires following last season. If the hires after last season were a splash, this year's haven't even rippled the water. And appear to have Helton's fingerprints all over them. Why? Did he tell Helton, "replace and hire your own coaches this year, I'm staying out of it?" What did Bohn say, or possibly, guarantee to the coaches he hired last year? Why would they want to come aboard the luxury liner that is plain for ALL to see struck the iceberg and is taking on water at an alarming rate? Why does it appear this year he's totally hands off after who he brought in last year?

Now, is he continuing to address areas that needed addressing, such as recruiting and support staff, that SC was woefully thin on? Definitely. But still, it doesn't add up unless he knows there's almost a guaranteed chance that this is Helton's last season at the helm. That he's seen enough. That the buy-out will be palpable now. Or was told the buy-out had to be under a certain figure. That he knows something. But again, what bugs me and concerns me, is if he finally replaces Helton and brings "his guy" in, there's no guarantee the coaches he assembled are retained by the new coach. And I have a had time believing any head coach worth his salt will be told what staff he needs to retain.

Puzzling...

FIGHT ON!

This post was edited by nitch19 17 days ago

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)You know, I would love to hear a reporter actually ask Folt what SHE thinks ought to be the ultimate goal of the football program, as to its ...

"After all, she's been here for a while now, and by now likely briefed on the basics of both football as a sport and SC's role historically in it." Classic.

"She just needs to stay out of the way and not do something stupid (sort of like Helton)." Priceless.

"So, if there are any P12 presidents who actually love the sport and respect its possibilities, the conference's only hope is that they be given free rein to select a football-first guy." Not a truer statement has ever been quoted. I wonder if most P12 football fans have any idea the enormity of this hire as to the future of the sport as it relates to competing with the other, current P4 conferences?

FIGHT ON!

• Simply hire an Urban Meyer or other head coach of his ilk, though there are admittedly not many, and greatness will be attracted to your program automatically, great S&C or other assistance, with no deed of further meddling by your Folts or your Bohns of this world. Well we done let the big one get away and off our hook for sure when Meyer went to the pros, seeing no future for himself at bungling and meddlesome and confused USC. We CHASE AWAY greatness with amazing dexterity. WHEN will, on the other hand, Carrol Folt ever retire from her current role as chief agent in quest of keeping USC securely down in the dumps forever as a continuing football under-achiever?

This post was edited by eftzoons 18 days ago

• Nagging trouble is that this coach has totally crushed all of the sunshine pumpers on this board and many other USC boards

• TROJANZ said... (original post)Nagging trouble is that this coach has totally crushed all of the sunshine pumpers on this board and many other USC boards

Yeah, the last of them checked out after the 2018 to mid-way through the 2019 season.

FIGHT ON!

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)And of course, in her first major role, Carol "Smiley" Folt will be playing Teri Garr's part this evening.....Thank you, remember, tip your w...

Except Teri Garr is MUCH better-looking AND a far bette4 human being that Folt the Dolt will ever be.
  • nitch19 said... (original post)Yeah, the last of them checked out after the 2018 to mid-way through the 2019 season.FIGHT ON!

Yep; I myself was an ardent defender of Helton until I had the misfortune of attending the 2018 debacle in Austin; that was my wakeup call, and I've been boycotting USC ever since.
  • TrojanSkyCop97 said... (original post)Except Teri Garr is MUCH better-looking AND a far bette4 human being that Folt the Dolt will ever be.

Definitely more Frau Blucher.

• jpltrojan1 said... (original post)Definitely more Frau Blucher.

Col. Rosa Klebb

• The Rocky Horror Show?????

• So you are saying the Air Raid offense has to go, and Helton has to go. I can't object to either of those ideas. It also appears you are opposed to the use of the period --- but I will write that up to a sign of your enthusiasm which I respect.

I actually think if we had to choose, and we could only get rid of one of the two, I would probably select the Air Raid. I assume that would mean we would be getting a new offensive coordinator --- and I think that might give us the best path for success. If Orlando gets the defense dialed in, Donte keeps recruiting like a mad man, and we get a new offensive coordinator that really understands the game, and can install a balanced offense that will allow us to become USC again, I like our chances.

On the other hand, if Helton goes, we are still stuck with Harrell and the Air Raid, and I am not sure that is going to work. I have noticed recently that Shotgun seems to believe USC can win with the Air Raid. I respect his opinion, but I don't see it, although I realize there are many teams (even in the NFL) having success with variations of the Air Raid.

• Air Raid is a recipe for failure. Oregon did 1 thing. Placed their safeties Deep. Thats it. That was their adjustment. Thats all. The OC couldn't even get the blocking schemes right. Did not even set the RBs to chip Oregons #1 pass rush threat till too late. A high school DC could've out gameplanned our OC. This dude is learning on the fly and doesn't seem to have countermeasures or a backup plan just in case some team sets their defensive backfield far back. Unbelievable.

• It didn't once occur to these O geniuses to double team Thibideaux. THAT ALONE tells me a lot about their bonifides as legit Offensive geniuses. But he also has billions of other woeful details to fix, so I am not expecting a ton from such alleged geniuses. Maybe this new wizard of O line performance will figure THAT out at least, McGuire is his name, right? Well I fold my arms and wait, my soul within me smoking like an incinerator.

• SealBeachSandy said... (original post)So you are saying the Air Raid offense has to go, and Helton has to go. I can't object to either of those ideas. It also appears you are ...

If Helton goes, how are we still stuck with Harrell and the Air Raid? Or are you referring to Helton being fired during the season?

FIGHT ON!

• SealBeachSandy said... (original post)So you are saying the Air Raid offense has to go, and Helton has to go. I can't object to either of those ideas. It also appears you are ...

I would give half of the Los Angeles Basin to get the best O-line coach/recruiter on the planet. Americans have always gone west to fulfill their dreams, how in the world has our loony coach changed the migration route to the eastward? easy. Helton doesn't know squat about the value of an elite offensive line--not how to recruit them, not how to develop them, not how to hone them into tough guys. Speaking of tough guys....Just a reminder that your grandad or dad or great uncle was not always the kindly old man who sat in the over-stuffed chair. Now THESE are tough guys.....