Urban/USC thoughts

Urban/USC thoughts

• Been following this the last few days and thought I'd give an outside opinion.

On Urban as a fit:

I don't see it. He's not going to have the control he needs at USC. The "insider" reports are that he wants USC to be more lenient on compliance, which means he wants compliance to tell the NCAA to pound sand if they come sniffing. That's not a money thing and it may not be a decision Bohn makes. Speaking of presidents, he was more or less forced out of OSU by the president, and probably is hesitant to go into another gig where the president isnt thrilled about him being there. Even with Folt's blessing her opinion is more or less known. I think the media in LA would be split on him. I think the national media would crucify him, and I think the OSU faction would instantly hate him. I wouldnt under rate the OSU thing because that's his home base and they shield him from a lot of criticism. If he started grabbing coaches/recruits from them they would lose it.

On what I think happened in this situation:

I think he felt betrayed by OSU after last year and was furious. I think he immediately started looking at options to come back to college and I 100% believe whatever is happening between he and USC has been for a long long time. I think he could have even given boosters the nod he was coming. Things change though-- and when huge decisions come up a lot of ancillary factors are ignored until then--fantasy becomes reality. I think his wife likes being OSU first lady on twitter all day and living in Columbus. They would be HATED them the first day he took the USC gig. I think coming back a year after retiring because of his "brain cyst" would look peculiar and he probably knows it. 2 years after is a lot more understandable. I think he likes being in the media somewhat. I think there is an off chance that he ends up back at OSU because their president just retired and Day could jump to the NFL. That's the dream scenario for him--he's a fit there and everyone around him could be happy that way. OSU wouldn't care too much about the optics either.

More than anything I think he took stock and realized there isnt a huge rush to get back into coaching and time off could open better opportunities for him. If USC was 100% behind him as an administration and school then I think he'd take it, but any hesitation is a huge red flag for him. The situation he's in now is comfortable enough to let things blow over longer and wait it out. I think there is a plausible scenario where Helton stays and he gets hired after next season at USC, but that's kind of a dangerous game to play for Bohn.

• Discussion
  • A voice from Michigan -- okay. You are not seeing Meyer fitting in with USC. I suppose there's more to the question when you consider life in California. How ever much the Mrs. likes Columbus she will surely love her life as an aristocrat in Los Angeles. Not to bash the mid-west, which I love, but life out in the sunshine state is a whole different ball game. There is such opportunity for growth here for UM, he must feel it every time he steps off the plane. As far as coming back too soon -- It's real. Even without considering the optics, he still has genuine health concerns. He could be out of here in a year. But USC would be nuts to wait a year. The program would be seriously undermined. Recruits gone. Players transferring -- making life so much harder for the next coach. It would be like wasting two years. Lastly, as far as OSU fans hating him -- these days folks don't seem to dwell on those things too much. It's something UM could probably live with as he looks out across the Pacific Ocean to the sun setting in the West. We know the national media would hate it, too. But then, SECPN has their money invested in the SEC, so the last thing in the world they want is for USC to rise up again and take some of the attention going Southeast. Fox may benefit -- Ha!

Wish we weren't bogged down in this stuff at this time of the year.

F.O...…...

• USC is the most diverse college in the USA. Los Angeles is diverse. Next question.

• troy75 said... (original post) A voice from Michigan -- okay. You are not seeing Meyer fitting in with USC. I suppose there's more to the question when you consider life in Califo...

Not everyone wants to live in Los Angeles.
  • troy75 said... (original post) A voice from Michigan -- okay. You are not seeing Meyer fitting in with USC. I suppose there's more to the question when you consider life in C...

Is this TroyJD? Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't have any interest in living in California, regardless of the financial situation. We have no clue whatsoever if the idea of living in California is a positive or negative in this discussion.

• Luuuma said... (original post) Been following this the last few days and thought I'd give an outside opinion.On Urban as a fit:I don't see it. He's not going to hav...

100% bullshit. UM has publicly stated he put himself in the wrong position at the start of his LATEST episode, and there was no way out for him. He wasn't forced out at OSU - he screwed himself over, knows it, and left OSU with no choice at all but to tell him to leave. You might have noted that OSU publicly consulted with UM on the next head coach, retaining the staff, etc.... That's not exactly "forced out".

UM knows that he is a really bad fit for USC. He does not like boosters sticking their nose into the program, and USC is absolutely eaten up with that. He does not like fair-weather fans, and USC is absolutely eaten up with that. UM does not want the compliance office sticking its' nose into the program. He has had public run-ins with compliance at Florida, semi-public run-ins with compliance at Ohio State, and you can bet the ranch USC will insist on having compliance with more than its' nose in the football program. In addition, there is a lot of public question about how serious USC is about its' football program, and UM cannot stand not having 100% public commitment to the football program.

"Brain cyst" in quotation marks, indeed. If you haven't see the MRI, or seen him down on the sidelines during games, you simply have had your eyes closed. Dumbass.

What, exactly, is the incentive for UM to come to USC? It's not the football environment. It's not the money. It's not the fame. It's certainly not dodging the homeless, wading through rivers of pee and poop, and the crime rate. Treated like royalty? That's good for a laugh. Exorbitant cost of living is supposed to be an attraction? The glory of dragging your long-time-ago once-proud football program up from the ashes and through an unwilling school bureaucracy on a pittance budget to maybe win a PAC title and someday dream of a CFP (or whatever its' called then) bid?

Quit kidding yourselves. UM could go to FSU or Miami tomorrow and have much greater success much quicker in a much more football-friendly environment with the backing of a football-friendly school administration for the same amount of money USC would offer. And would not have to deal with half the problems / baggage that comes with a USC job.

• Urban still has to work the big 10 title game and show his face on tv.

I doubt he wants to be hammered with questions if he’s named the head coach this week.

Next week we get our answer

• haha, I've lived in the bay area for 10 years now. Listen, as a Michigan guy I want Meyer to go to USC so he takes some guys with him that are at OSU. The insider chatter got me excited and I actually was pretty convinced it was happening until this delay. And ya, I dont want OSU's recent recruiting success in CA to continue--I think a strong USC is actually good for UM now.

If this was happening I think you would be hearing more rumblings from the OSU side of things and there is nothing right now. There was earlier in the year but not currently. I also think if you look at Shelly Meyers twitter it really doesnt look like someone ready to jump town. When I say they will be HATED in Ohio I'm not kidding--the reaction will be crazy. Meyer at USC is not good for OSU. They will put a lot of effort into smearing him and my guess is they have ammo. Other factors: if Meyer cant convince Marotti/Pantoni to come with him it's going to affect his decision. He also absolutely HATES losing, and a first game back vs Saban of all people isn't something to look forward to. The PR hit from returning after 1 year off will be a more than if he leaves after 2 years. I do agree that he will never go the NFL route.

There are places that could be open soonish that are better fits: Weirdly I could see him replacing Saban at Alabama. I could see him sticking around to see what happens at OSU. Aside from those 2 though I think USC is the best option for him, but he has to accept that he will have to do things a bit different there. LA media is a lot different than Columbus media. In Columbus the media wouldnt dare cross him--that won't be the case in LA. If a fire sparks in LA it will be a lot harder to put out than if it were in Columbus. If that whole Zach Smith thing were to happen in LA the Times would dig.

I'm not saying that LA isnt a great place, it is. I'm just not sure USC will give into his nonmonetary demands that he would want--and they go further than relaxing admissions standards. I also am not sure a lot of the people on this board are getting the full picture of what he brings. I mean, you're getting a ferrari, but it's stolen and has a history of breaking down. You're really gonna have to circle the bandwagons against national media and have a USC against the world mentality as a fanbase. Division isn't going to play out well if it exists in your university/fan base.

If you can grab a guy like Ruhle I think he would be a better fit and possibly more successful long term due to stability. You only need someone to convince the locals to stay home--You don't necessarily need a top 3 coach to win a championship at USC. You just can't hire disasters like Helton, Kiffen, Sark etc.

• troy75 said... (original post) A voice from Michigan -- okay. You are not seeing Meyer fitting in with USC. I suppose there's more to the question when you consider life in C...

True. And the rats in LA are far larger and more aggressive than the 5-pounders in Youngstown.

• crimsoninnky said... (original post) 100% bullshit. UM has publicly stated he put himself in the wrong position at the start of his LATEST episode, and there was no way out for hi...

Amazing how you know what Urban is thinking. Why not hire out as a stock market consultant?

• crimsoninnky said... (original post) 100% bullshit. UM has publicly stated he put himself in the wrong position at the start of his LATEST episode, and there was no way out for hi...

OK. I'd do some research on arachnoid cysts. An MRI will only image the cyst--and these things aren't some rare brain disease--like 2% of men have them. I don't doubt he has one at all. However it is EXTREMELY rare that they cause debilitating head aches, and the frequency and timing of onset was, well....

I agree with the awkward fit and compliance. Your attack on living in CA/preception of the USC program is ridiculous, but I've read nearly those same words on other boards.

• FightOn714 said... (original post) Urban still has to work the big 10 title game and show his face on tv. I doubt he wants to be hammered with questions if he’s named the head coa...

If Urban was coming this year he wouldn't give up the recruiting weekend. Zero chance he'd set himself back like that, especially with how bad things are right now.

• I can't say confidently that UM has been a candidate for the job for the last month or more. I thought at one time he was. No sure anymore. But, I think SC faithful are used to standing against the world. L.A. is a very different place -- but we're not knee deep in pee or poop. The fans have been beaten senseless by the failure of leadership at USC. First, there was no push-back against the NzAA's unprecedented penalties designed and levied solely to crush the one school that was capable of ruining the money machine in the Southeast. Then the hiring of the child Kiffen, who proved himself incompetent, the humiliation and dismissal of Coach O, and then the hiring of the impaired Sark, all by ridiculous, inexperienced, untrained celebrity administrators. Yes, there is a certain desperation at USC -- but it's the product of such mind-numbing incompetence the likes of which could never have been imagined. So, we want a sure winner. We are tired of such phrases as "good for the long term development of the program." No, we want to win now. We have had some great athletes, and there is a very good squad coming back next year. We really don't want a mediocre coach. So, if UM is interested -- yes, please. We'll take one of those and the hell with everyone else.

F.O...……..

• troy75 said... (original post) I can't say confidently that UM has been a candidate for the job for the last month or more. I thought at one time he was. No sure anymore. But...

Ya, digging into this I was surprised at how disorganized the adminsitration seems to be. I'm just syaing there are coaches out there that can win big that you wouldn't have to stick your head in the sand to support. You've had 3 total disasters in a row which is a lot to take. Hell if Harbaugh didnt come in 14 I was done--cant imagine another failure after hoke. Desperation does weird things though. I wonder how many people would want Meyer if you were on the tail end of the PC run. Ruhle is your guy I think if you can snag him. He's not the sure thing Meyer is but I think the experience would be more enjoyable.

BS, people are leaving CA in droves and I was one of them. There are several people on these boards that fled the state. In LA you have the phony superficial rich people or the opposite, dregs of society, gang violence and abundance of illegal immigrants. Top it off with horrible smog most of the year and overcrowding causing ridiculous real estate prices and over taxation by state legislators. Then throw in the worst traffic in North America. Many people (coaches and families included) just don't want to live in So Cal.

• Luuuma said... (original post) Ya, digging into this I was surprised at how disorganized the adminsitration seems to be. I'm just syaing there are coaches out there that can ...

I think Matt Rhule is pretty happy at Baylor per his presser yesterday.

https://twitter.com/colt_barber/status/1201601206424162304?s=21

• NebrVandal said... (original post) I think Matt Rhule is pretty happy at Baylor per his presser yesterday. https://twitter.com/colt_barber/status/1201601206424162304?s=21

In miserable Waco, TX, good for him

• Urban is a ND guy he is not going to the pac 12. You guys are suffering Helton disease. Trump 2020 landslide victory ??