USC defense full of Poly players

USC defense full of Poly players

• defense is super slow. Yall wanted Poly players, you got them.

Watch the games, poly players missing and getting smoked.

• Discussion
  • 5:50 mark, Team Nansen doing work.

https://youtu.be/UTf6kxZZfkE

• So if the Chargers miss tackles, its all those black peoples fault?
    I actually agree with some of the speed part, but cmon, just make a substitution. Its not a white black or poly thing.

• TROJANZ said... (original post)So if the Chargers miss tackles, its all those black peoples fault? I actually agree with some of the speed part, but cmon, just make a substitution...

Its a poly vs black thing. Nansen decided to only recruit Poly players on defense and look at the results. People here actually wanted Nansen here just for the fact that he recruited poly players.. There is definitely a correlation here.

• Here's a gif of said play I made last week.

I called out Nansen for organizing his family reunion and calling it recruiting awhile ago.

At one point we had 9 Poly LBers (7 now that 2 have moved to DL) . When he literally went to the island to get Falaniko, who was a raw project, I really looked at him sideways.

Now you might get called racist for pointing out or alleging Poly players are slow or have others chime in and act like the conversation is off limits, but I'd argue that on average they probably have slower 40 times at LB and S, of which we have 7 and 3 at each respective position) and if a coach we had was clearly bringing in a specific race of player, which Nansen clearly was, then it's fair game.

IE is slow, Goforth seems faster than he actually plays, and Mauga doesn't have particularly good wheels. Hufanga is not fast and Helton claiming he runs 4.4 was a bigger lie than him claiming it was windy, wet, and dry all at the same time in Tucson. He's a 4.6 type guy that many don't believe has wheels enough to play S in the NFL. IPM is straight athletically. None of the other LBs or S strike me as having above avg speed.

Ie.gif

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 7 days ago

• Poly players are not necessarily slow. Troy P ran a 4.3 40. JuJu Smith is plenty fast, as was Junior Seau. Hufanga's speed seems fine, but he is nicked up. IPM is not a speed demon however, which has been evident in a couple of plays this season, including the long swing pass for a TD by ASU. A lot of people think Gaoteote is slow, but that could be masked to an extent by moving him from the Will to the Mike position.

The most glaring position on the defense that seems to lack speed is the nickel safety spot, which has no poly players. Max Williams and Greg Johnson both seem alarmingly slow to be playing in a Power 5 secondary. I'd rather have ITS (4.32 40) there than having him play a backup corner.

This thread is another reason why considering moving Bru to defense makes some sense, although I think it's too late to do so this year.

This post was edited by albertocrespi 7 days ago

• albertocrespi said... (original post)Poly players are not necessarily slow. Troy P ran a 4.3 40. Hufanga's speed seems fine, but he is nicked up. IPM is not a speed demon however, ...

You picked a supreme outlier/HOFer in Troy P. I said on average.

Again, Hufanga isn't fast. This isn't some hotly debated topic. He just isn't man and it has nothing to do with injuries.

IPM ran an electronic 4.54 with a 35 inch vert at age 17, 4 1/2 years ago. He should be a high 4.4 now or when he tests at the combine.

As for Williams and Johnson, I don't necessarily disagree. I wasn't big on Williams as a corner coming out of hs due to his size:speed ratio. Real small without great speed to offset the size disadvantage, along with injury history . I liked Johnson better as a RB and he hasn't displayed great on field speed.

I liked Bru's upside on D before, but he's a little twitchier with better feet than I thought, so keep him at receiver. And remember, he's only about 220lbs. He's a smaller version of Hunter Echols who's already light in the *ss and has issues converting speed to power coming off the edge.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)You picked a supreme outlier/HOFer in Troy P. I said on average.Again, Hufanga isn't fast. This isn't some hotly debated topic. He j...

I was replying to the OP...not you.

This post was edited by albertocrespi 7 days ago

• albertocrespi said... (original post)I was replying to the OP...not you.

Ok (shrugs).

You didn't quote him so what difference does it make and are we supposed to mindread?

If you post on a thread without a quote and someone replies with a response that is pertinent to what you said, who cares?

• Easy on the lectures there BLL.....there is a "quick reply" box right below the OP's message, which I used to make a quick reply. If you have a problem with this, talk to 247.

• albertocrespi said... (original post)Easy on the lectures there BLL.....there is a "quick reply" box right below the OP's message, which I used to make a quick reply. If you have ...

No one lectured anyone.

If you don't want people to have the audacity to reply to your public message board posts then quote who you're talking to or send them a private message.

You're the one who seems to have an issue with the message board features, not me sir.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)No one lectured anyone. If you don't want people to reply to your posts then quote who you're talking to or send them a private mess...

Simple solution is for both of us to use the ignore feature on the other. I'm doing that now....cheers.

• Or Nansen is just really bad at talent evaluation....

• PxPxTrojan said... (original post)Or Nansen is just really bad at talent evaluation....

That too but imo nansen was lazy recruiting.

Why try to go after a 4* S from texas or a 4* LB Georgia when all you have to do is go to the island and get all the above without breaking a sweat?

Plus you won't have any competition for said recruits because nobody else wants them but Hawaii or San Jose state.

Then when training camp comes along and helton closes practices they can make up any story they want about how 2* LB from Hawaii was turning heads the first day of camp and is looking like a 1st round talent...

This post was edited by GusFring505 6 days ago

• To be fair, if Solo and Iosefa were healthy perhaps this subject might not even be a topic of discussion. What ifs.....

• I'm actually agreeing with the Team speed. Im not calling you guys racists..
    Defensive speed is key to Elite top notch defense. But where you guys say Poly this Poly that...All I'm saying is..Make a Substitution. We got more on this defense and this team than just Polys.
    In other words, the current coaching staff must not and cannot rely on excuses. It is their job to make the appropriate adjustments. If they cannot, then it's time to Fire them all...Wholesale. No excuses.

• Junior and Troy all time great poly players were not slow lol

• Wow interesting thread. Nansen was a problem for sure. I didn’t think his recruiting strategy was intentional but now seeing the number maybe it was? I’m telling you one thing I’ve heard straight from the mouths of recruited black players who went elsewhere is that USC is negative recruited re: the high number of Poly players on defense. As I said in another thread there is also talk about Clay showing preferences to Poly players because they are less likely to complain or rock the boat re: playing time or deficient coaching. No one ever knows anyone’s true intent so who knows with Clay. But he is a lazy unimaginative coach. Either was something needs to be done. If y’all making claims like this on a message board imagine what opposing recruiting staffs are saying. The problem must be fixed. We can’t win without a robust number of black players on defense so I don’t care what’s true or false I just want it fixed! We need black LBs& safeties who are Good, not some 2-3 star prospects. It’s also worth noting the 5 star Poly players like DJ want nothing to do with USC either. Over the last 3 years most of the Poly players coming here are 3 stars so they may not be a fair representation

• TROJANZ said... (original post)So if the Chargers miss tackles, its all those black peoples fault? I actually agree with some of the speed part, but cmon, just make a substitution...

Sadly the only substitution we could make to address the speed issue is Abdul-Malik but he’s in the doghouse or transferring. I don’t care about race or ethnicity we just didn’t do a smart job recruiting & recruiting essentially the same kinds of player over & over again. Whomever thought this combo of LBs could work well together must have been high.

• albertocrespi said... (original post)Poly players are not necessarily slow. Troy P ran a 4.3 40. JuJu Smith is plenty fast, as was Junior Seau. Hufanga's speed seems fine, bu...

Juju is half black for whatever it’s worth. As was Sua Cravens. The lack of speed at the nickleback position is a problem too. But it’s not nearly as bad as the lack of speed in the front 7. Greg johnson is sufficient, not great. Same for Max Williams. Our combo of LBs is not sufficient. They are absolutely the weakest link. They don’t play well together.

• inferno256 said... (original post)Junior and Troy all time great poly players were not slow lol

Cherrypicking..

Outliers..

On average..

All terms you should get familiar with before posting 2 HOF players as examples to refute a claim made regarding a sample of at least 100-200 players, and then laughing like you did something, as if none of us heard of those grossly unheralded players or said every Poly player was slow.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)Cherrypicking.. Outliers.. On average.. All terms you should get familiar with before posting 2 HOF players as examples to refute a claim made ...

Your a racist or just different then your race so an ethnic hater.

The problem is simple, it’s to many 3 star recruits or just not coaching up the higher ranked players.

I think it’s both.......

• OldSunsetFan said... (original post)Your a racist or just different then your race so an ethnic hater.The problem is simple, it’s to many 3 star recruits or just not coaching up t...

You lost all credibility trying to call me racist, though I find the term "ethnic hater" hilarious.

By the way 25% of the team is Poly but 28% of 3 stars are Poly so they actually are slightly overrepresented in that category as well.

I wonder how our percentage of Poly LBs vs Poly DL measures up to others? I think other squads may have larger percentages of Poly DL and not so much at LB like us. 64% of our LB are Poly and that's taking into account Echols and DJack who really function as DE. Without them the percentage jumps to 78%.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 2 days ago

• OldSunsetFan said... (original post)Your a racist or just different then your race so an ethnic hater.The problem is simple, it’s to many 3 star recruits or just not coaching up t...

Your 2nd sentence is spot on.

But WTF? Calling people racist or ethnic haters? Come on dude.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)You lost all credibility trying to call me racist, though I find the term "ethnic hater" hilarious. By the way 25% of the team is Po...

The interesting thing about this is if USC had an all white LB corps I think people may feel more comfortable calling foul, or at least acknowledging that it’s probably not the best way to field an elite winning defense.

This post was edited by Chocolaterunner 2 days ago

• If we’re talking race, this is just an observation and not racist, but our three best receivers (sorry TV you’re the fourth best) and our best receiver with an injury redshirt all have a white mother and black father

ARSB

Drake London

Bru McCoy

Kyle Ford

This post was edited by OxyTrojan 1 day ago