USC QB Mount Rushmore

USC QB Mount Rushmore

• Saw an article about it. They had Peete, Palmer, Leinart and Darnold.

I would replace Darnold with Barkely. I think Matt got USC through its worst football era and stayed committed. Thoughts?

• Discussion
  • Good stuff. If you replace Darnold with MB7 do they have different careers? Hard to tell, but off the field Barkley was the true leader of the program after Pete left for Seattle. I'm good with that swap.

• Mark Sanchez had a chance to be an all time member. SC looked ready to win another title in 2009. Against CPC's advice he left for the NFL. SC finished 9-4 that year. This after being ranked pre season #4. Sanchez started fast in the NFL and fizzled out. He might have needed one more year at SC.

• Traveler1616 said... (original post)Mark Sanchez had a chance to be an all time member. SC looked ready to win another title in 2009. Against CPC's advice he left for the NFL...

Or maybe just a better coach in the nfl too

• Traveler1616 said... (original post)Mark Sanchez had a chance to be an all time member. SC looked ready to win another title in 2009. Against CPC's advice he left for the NFL...

What if he Barkley’s himself and didn’t get picked in the first round the following year? He made the smart choice regardless of how his NFL tenure went

• sdotk11 said... (original post)What if he Barkley’s himself and didn’t get picked in the first round the following year? He made the smart choice regardless of how his NFL tenure ...

Strongly disagree. His name has become nearly synonymous with being a bust (granted, not at the Ryan Leaf level), and he not only screwed the team over by leaving he showed just how UN-ready he was for the nfl. And he will never be able to undo that. Only simps have as their major goal "to be picked in the first round." It's success in the NFL, and Sanchez never came close to the brass ring, and THAT will be what fans (and he) remembers, not where he was chosen. Don't forget, Ryan Leaf was the #2 overall pick of the draft . . . but that is not what folks remember. People remember the desert and the main course, not the salad that began the meal.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Strongly disagree. His name has become nearly synonymous with being a bust (granted, not at the Ryan Leaf level), and he not only screwed the ...

Incomplete take. Sanchez' draft class was the last (or close to it) class to have insane guaranteed rookie contracts. He got over 40 million guaranteed. If he got hurt/underwhelmed and waited a year he could have lost over 30million in guarantees (Tebow was the 2nd QB taken after Cam Newton in 2010 and that's what his contract was).

His playing career was a bust but that doesn't mean he made the wrong decision. He cashed in a winning ($) hand.
  • USCinMN said... (original post)Incomplete take. Sanchez' draft class was the last (or close to it) class to have insane guaranteed rookie contracts. He got over 40 million gu...

Oh, if money is such a dominating theme for you, I suggest drug-dealing or similar occupation. Much more lucrative and you don't end up as a punchline on ESPN in their Top Ten Busts of the NFL. Talk about "incomplete takes". . . . All the money in the world won't erase the smirks that greet him every day--and he knows it. Sanchez screwed the team and he screwed himself and you can't pay that away.

This post was edited by PaulDrakeLives 3 months ago

• sdotk11 said... (original post)What if he Barkley’s himself and didn’t get picked in the first round the following year? He made the smart choice regardless of how his NFL tenure ...

Have to wonder who's decision it was. His own? Or someone else who didn't have god given talent. Someone who saw him as a golden goose maybe?

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Oh, if money is such a dominating theme for you, I suggest drug-dealing or similar occupation. Much more lucrative and you don't end up as a ...

lol what the heck? Yes - being a millionaire from a poor performance sports career is akin to making millions selling drugs. Hot take during a hot time.
  • PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Oh, if money is such a dominating theme for you, I suggest drug-dealing or similar occupation. Much more lucrative and you don't end up as a ...

What????? Hahahahaha
  • Raygoza said... (original post)Saw an article about it. They had Peete, Palmer, Leinart and Darnold. I would replace Darnold with Barkely. I think Matt got USC through its worst f...

Not a chance. Barkley had a below average arm and was very poor at down field passing. He couldn't throw a tight spiral and would inexplicably miss on easy passes at times. I would take Darnold over Barkley any time.

• poodlemothra said... (original post)Not a chance. Barkley had a below average arm and was very poor at down field passing. He couldn't throw a tight spiral and would inexplic...

Yeah the extra year didn’t expose him. His lack of natural talent did him in. This would have been evident whenever he came out. Great guy, led the program through tough times and no way is he on USC’s QB Mt. Rushmore. Unathletic undersized drop back guy w/a below average arm.

This post was edited by troy4300 3 months ago

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Oh, if money is such a dominating theme for you, I suggest drug-dealing or similar occupation. Much more lucrative and you don't end up ...

He needed more college starts so his pro career would have been built upon a stronger foundation. He had only one season plus a few starts in the Booty broken finger season. By financial measures he made the right decision, by pure football measues—did you take the proper path to get the most out of your talent?—he did not.

This post was edited by troy4300 3 months ago

• USCinMN said... (original post) what the heck? Yes - being a millionaire from a poor performance sports career is akin to making millions selling drugs. Hot take during a hot tim...

As I'm sure we all did, I watched his presser with Pete, and not only was Carroll displeased, but it was clear then (and from what transpired later) that Sanchez' brain was as mature as those spring breakers we all saw cuddling on the Florida beaches. He was an immature kid and he made a kid's decision. My point is that he went from being the toast of the LA Hispanic community to a nobody and no amount of green will ever change that. What I am glad to see is that he finally grew up, and he is heavily involved in various charitable causes, etc. All to the good. But that doesn't change his stupid decision back then. You can bet that on his death bed, when he thinks back, he'll wish he could take that one back.

• poodlemothra said... (original post)Not a chance. Barkley had a below average arm and was very poor at down field passing. He couldn't throw a tight spiral and would inexplicably ...

Barkley went in to the shoe as a true frosh and got the W.

Not too many or any true frosh can say that.

Darnold has the Penn State game but what Barkley did was light years ahead of what Darnold did in the Rose Bowl.

As because of that one game I would give it to Barkley...
  • GusFring505 said... (original post)Barkley went in to the shoe as a true frosh and got the W.Not too many or any true frosh can say that.Darnold has the Penn State game but what B...

Ehhh. Barks made some good throws on that drive (one in particular) but it was Joe McKnight that bailed him and the team out repeatedly on that drive.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)As I'm sure we all did, I watched his presser with Pete, and not only was Carroll displeased, but it was clear then (and from what transpired ...

Okay, boomer.
  • poodlemothra said... (original post)Not a chance. Barkley had a below average arm and was very poor at down field passing. He couldn't throw a tight spiral and would inexplic...

Darnold is the better qb no doubt. I just am focusing on what Barkley meant for USC during the sanction period. He stayed committed and was an exemplary Trojan during difficult times. Plus he beat the buckeyes at the shoe, bonus point.

• must make you a snowflake

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)As I'm sure we all did, I watched his presser with Pete, and not only was Carroll displeased, but it was clear then (and from what transpired ...

I had no clue the LA Hispanic community thought of him as a nobody now. I'll spread the word to my friends.