When do you think USC football will win another championship?

When do you think USC football will win another championship?

• I predict 2035.

• Discussion
  • Assuming you mean the big one, we are not trending well, and I am afraid we have crossed a social-political rubicon that marks the marginalization of violent sports like football among significant segments of the country. I do not see the same cycles repeating themselves as they have in the past. Here's what I think will happen, although I do not claim much certainty for some of these predictions:

** the south's domination of football will continue, with occasional outposts of success in the upper Midwest. These enclaves are strong, and the populations there fit the fuel that football needs. They will resist trends to do away with violence in sports better than anyplace in the country. As a general rule, people who embrace the 2nd amendment also embrace football.

** USC and the Pac12 are not in that group as a whole, although Utah, OSU, and WSU have significant constituencies that will likewise resist national trends. But they will never be good enough to win a NC. USC thus remains the ONLY university west of the Rockies that has a chance to win a NC. Ever.

I do think that there is building up a backlash against the Foltian Doctrine of football that has allowed a nincompoop like Helton to survive, and eventually, there will be enough momentum to give USC football one more last try at excellence. One. It might take 2 years. Maybe 4. But not much longer than that because of bad trends working against that. But after that, finis. I know there are those on this board who see football excellence as all teams riding endless Ferris Wheels when one team has its turn on top, but then the great coach leaves and they cycle down, while another team rides the wave up. I DO believe that the cycles theory has merit, BUT it is simply wrong to think that all teams have the same duration of cycles. And I also see that this is not 1990 or even 2000 now.

Look, forget USC for a moment. Look at what happened to Oregon in their "bowl game." They got kicked around by Iowa State. Does anyone see ANY Pac12 team looking ready to challenge nationally?? I sure as hell don't. The conference went "0-fer" in their bowls and looked bad doing it. Saban has a machine in Tuscaloosa; Swinney has it going in Clemson, and Day owns Columbus. Kelley is doing well in South Bend, but it was obvious they were not in the same class as Bama. You just know that Folt is sniffing around admissions and the athletic department making sure there are no more Aunt Beckys and her magical, mystical jail bait crew girls. I know some of you guys surf. You know how sometimes the wave you just rode in was the last one. What social trends can anyone point to on the west coast and say "Yes, HERE is a positive sign for football"? Kedon Slovis basically had to write Emperor Newsom and BEG him to play. I didn't see any of that sh*t in the SEC, did you? So I give USC one more shot, but even that is basically a Hegelian salute to the backlash that are thoroughly sick of Helton. I have NO DATA to back that up. We could be done.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Assuming you mean the big one, we are not trending well, and I am afraid we have crossed a social-political rubicon that marks the marginaliz...

i hear what you are saying.

The second question is. Should the Pac 12 be downgraded from a power 5 conference and have some other none power 5 conference take its place?

• FAN1978 said... (original post)i hear what you are saying. The second question is. Should the Pac 12 be downgraded from a power 5 conference and have some other none power 5 confe...

Yes. And I also think we need to get the hell out of the P12. I think you and others called for that long ago, and you were right. Every time I hear our conference's BS slogan "The Conference of Champions" I want to barf.

• 1 year after hiring a good to great coaching staff. The transfer portal can help get good fb players that wanted to be Trojans but Helton forced them elsewhere.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Yes. And I also think we need to get the hell out of the P12. I think you and others called for that long ago, and you were right. Every time ...

Conference of champions???...ha ha ha, maybe in water polo, but not football.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)Assuming you mean the big one, we are not trending well, and I am afraid we have crossed a social-political rubicon that marks the marginaliz...

USC will start winning when USC gets a coach that understands football is a game of beating the hell out of each other and quit passing the ball so much.

Keeping the athletes home instead of playing for Alabama, Ohio State, ND and everybody else won't hurt either.

This "culture of violence" isn't going to hold water when USC starts winning, not when they start bringing funds into the University.

Believe it or not, there are people out there that got their act together, you just gotta hire one.

I would also disagree with USC being the only team west of the Rockies that could win a NC. I think it's easier now for teams to win it that wouldn't have been voted No.1 or been included in the top two before it went to the current format.

• anoldguardawg said... (original post)USC will start winning when USC gets a coach that understands football is a game of beating the hell out of each other and quit passing the ba...

1. Who else besides USC could win one? Don't see anyone with the remotest possibility. Give me a candidate.....

2. You mention hiring a good coach as the key. You forget who guards that door: the university president and BOT. She was not hired by accident, and the BOT represents the culture of the school. And we got some lu-lus

• JDL -- so sad, but true. One thing -- the NFL in L.A., may impress some with the billions associated with football --- and the Superbowl coming up will make it clear that FB is a big thing. (For those paying attention.) Seriously, if Carol didn't know football was important at USC -- she never should have taken the job. We are not in Charlotte. USC has been, and will always be perfectly positioned to be a tremendous power in intercollegiate sports. We just need the chuckleheads to GET OUT OF THE WAY. If UM comes, and we go on a run -- that is something capable of blowing the eggheads off their thrones. But, having said that, such was the case when PC caught fire, and things fell apart with his departure. There were too many people in HH who were only interested in protecting their turf. Does that situation persist? Are we getting sissified? Yes. Can we stop it. I sure hope so because we need a little hair on the back to withstand the charge that's coming our way from across the Pacific.

F.O.............

• 2033 ... same year Svedka wins vodka of the year

• Raygoza said... (original post)1 year after hiring a good to great coaching staff. The transfer portal can help get good fb players that wanted to be Trojans but Helton forced the...

Good point. The coaching staff mostly meaning the head coach. The head coach isn't just the CEO of a team he is the leader that gets the most out of his teams talent and capability. He brings the best out of a team. However Helton is not one of them because he is too ahead of his foot and too consumed with ice cream. He is the wrong coach for USC by a margin of 100 to nothing.

Maybe after Helton is gone a championship might be within thinking.

This post was edited by FAN1978 3 days ago

• user generated

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)1. Who else besides USC could win one? Don't see anyone with the remotest possibility. Give me a candidate.....2. You mention hiring a g...

If you're talking about consistently making a run for the NC, it's of course USC. If we're talking teams that could win one, it just takes 1 great team in the conference, They don't have to be great year after year. I've watched the conference long enough to see a lot of great football teams rise and fall. It may be a 1 or 2 year run at that level, but that's how most programs are outside of Alabama. I don't understand why it can't happen again, a lot of teams have the facilities and support. It comes down to leadership.

Utah has the physical thick Polynesians that can make up for the lack of linemen that you get in the South. I still think that team Utah had with Urban Meyer would have beaten USC back in the day and won the NC. Wittingham plays the physical style that I think can win one. Why couldn't they duplicate that?

I hate to say it but the quackers have the resources.

Stanford under Harbaugh was physical enough to beat an SEC team at the time. It wouldn't blow me away if they got back to that level.

Washington's had some good teams.

Things go in cycles. West Coast football is down ,I get it, I don't believe it stays down.

Regarding your impression of USC's administration, former Trojan QB Mike Holmgren is on the local radio up here all the time. He was talking about USC football and Urban Meyer. He's pretty confident USC went after him and offered him, he just wasn't ready to get back into coaching.

Do you believe it?

• troy75 said... (original post)JDL -- so sad, but true. One thing -- the NFL in L.A., may impress some with the billions associated with football --- and the Superbowl coming up wi...

Basketball is BIG at UNC so Folt does know the importance of sport. The troubling thing, for whatever reason, is that she isn't supporting football.

The only thing that she , the BOT or any anybody else in power understands is money. The only power that alums, donors and fans have is boycotting games [season tickets, suites, etc], not making donations and not buying gear.

Right now Folt is telling us to "eat cake". What are we going to do about it?

• Raygoza said... (original post)1 year after hiring a good to great coaching staff. The transfer portal can help get good fb players that wanted to be Trojans but Helton forced the...

Agreed. Urban would've placed SC in the playoff within 2 years:

1-Player personnel: via existing roster, recruiting and transfer portal

2-Coaches: his rolodex is extensive. Additionally, coaches would seek him out much like they do Saba.

3- Philosophy: Urban his his own pprocess.

4- Intangible: While it is unlikely that hje can match Saban's 7 Natys, he could surpass him by winning Natys at 3 different schools.

If Urban is truly unavailable then you need to find someone who has a history of success and the drive to establish a legacy. Not sure where you find that person but it is imperative that you try by seeking help from "football people" not the existing sycophants within any part of the university.

• You all saw what happened in the "Planet of the apes'! The USC football program along with the Pac 12 will be prey to the Planet of the apes!. The apes in college football will take over.

• anoldguardawg said... (original post)If you're talking about consistently making a run for the NC, it's of course USC. If we're talking teams that could win one, it just takes 1 g...

I don't think the Poly pop. in the West matches or makes up for the absence of AA Southern talent. They're overrepresented based on pop numbers, but that doesn't mean they're similarly represented in the top tier of the talent pool.

Size is not everything. Quick feet, athleticism, twitchiness, etc. matter.