When Urban Meyer declines the USC HC position

When Urban Meyer declines the USC HC position

• Anyone you name is a longshot at this point. That guy from Iowa St has turned a perennial dog into a mediocre team with some fight. Does that mean he can take a program like this back to the top? Who knows? Personally, I would like to see a former NFL coach - he's got the first hand knowledge to say what it takes to make the pros and we had good luck with the last one.

• TroyJD said... (original post) Anyone you name is a longshot at this point. That guy from Iowa St has turned a perennial dog into a mediocre team with some fight. Does that mean h...

Josh McDaniels kind of resembles the Pete Carroll resume: NFL coordinator, stint as NFL HC, back to coordinator, plus he's been under Bill Belichick for a long time.

• Just knowing HOW a successful team is assembled and developed doesn’t necessarily mean a young coach can execute in the manner needed to succeed. Most need time and maturation to find there own way to create a winning team.

I’m not sure Pete could’ve had the success he had at SC 5 years earlier. Look at CEO. He’s had chances before that didn’t stick. Some never put it together. Some have all the knowledge and experience but they just don’t have the personality.

Find a 50-ish HC that knows what he didn’t know and is really successful in a smaller program and give him the next opportunity

• Bill Belichick was fired at all of his head coaching jobs before N.E. And has been pretty good, but you still need the talent.

• My cat.

• Sounds about right, given the fact that you think Belichick “has been pretty good” as a coach.

This post was edited by USCTraveler 4 days ago

• rosebowl07 said... (original post) Bill Belichick was fired at all of his head coaching jobs before N.E. And has been pretty good, but you still need the talent.

He’s in the GOAT conversation. Pretty good ?

• jpltrojan1 said... (original post) Just knowing HOW a successful team is assembled and developed doesn’t necessarily mean a young coach can execute in the manner needed to succeed...

I think coach o would have a had great yr the year after he fired. he played everyone close, but lost a lot. so they canned him. but even though his team had a bad record, they were very competitive in most of their games against a loaded schedule. a couple got out hand late. but they were actually the best 3-9 team you will ever see. but they were younger and still inexperienced. but the next yr, they had everyone coming back. a ton of talented veteran guys that ed o had recruited. the new coach, nutt, came in and did really well right away with ed o's recruits. it was a very veteran team that yr. that was ed o's team. I thought they fired coach o one yr. too early.

This post was edited by UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN 4 days ago

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) I think coach o would have a had great yr the year after he fired. he played everyone close, but lost a lot. so they canned him.

My personal opinion is that it had nothing to do with the results, he did not come off sophistocated enough for our high brow opinion of ourselves. I wanted him solely because he put some fight in a totally discouraged USC team that year - that was good enough for me. Well, that plus knowing he had been a great recruiter for us, too. And, I went on Cowherd's show and argued it with him - he was decidedly of the opininon that hiring from within is a mistake.

This post was edited by TroyJD 3 days ago

• TroyJD said... (original post) My personal opinion is that it had nothing to do with the results, he did not come off sophistocated enough for our high brow opinion of ourselves. ...

I’m rooting for LSU to win it all this season.

• NebrVandal said... (original post) I’m rooting for LSU to win it all this season.

Me too!

• TroyJD said... (original post) And, I went on Cowherd's show and argued it with him - he was decidedly of the opininon that hiring from within is a mistake.

He probably got that from Ryan!