10 on Sunday (Bengals Edition)

10 on Sunday (Bengals Edition)

• Gameface64 said... (original post) The politics stops right here. You've both had your say. Next thing I see that touches on the subject gets waxed.

Thanks. I didn't start it, and I don't come here for it.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Thanks. I didn't start it, and I don't come here for it.

Pittsburgh started it!

• TheDutchman said... (original post) 13 snaps for Hodges and 15 for Ratley.....did Higgins even see the field?? Unless he's hurt again, I just don't understand his lack o...

I think Higgins catches that interception that bounced off Hodge. Hig is taller and has great hands.

Nobody seems to know what's going on with Higgins. He was Baker's favorite receiver last year. His catch percentage was the highest on the team. He came out strong this year with a couple of catches on the opening drive against Tennessee, then hurt his knee. By the time he was ready to play it seems like Freddie wants nothing to do with him. Now he's behind Ratley in the pecking order and was the #5 receiver last week, not getting a single offensive snap.

Getting absolutely nothing from Higgins AND Callaway this year (other than Higs' late TD against the Bills) is one of the most shocking developments of the year. Some players were picking these guys as possible breakout candidates with the defenses expected to be focusing on OBJ and Landry. In fact, I can't think of anything personnelwise that has surprised me more, other than maybe Baker having the worst starting passer rating in the league.

• Agree, it's perplexing. Like I wrote elsewhere, the coaches have had some strange doghouses. Creating the right culture, or cutting off their noses to spite their faces?

Always loved the Patriots ability to scheme utility from B list players. We seem to be the opposite. But the Pats also have the strongest team first vibe in the league, so it may be apples to shotguns.

• GF:

Agree, it's perplexing. Like I wrote elsewhere, the coaches have had some strange doghouses. Creating the right culture, or cutting off their noses to spite their faces?

AA:

Or fighting a losing battle to keep OBJ happy.

An ongoing cart/horse debate is draft a FQB and then build around him versus build the cockpit first before drafting the pilot.

Same is true for a FWR.

Beckham was one of 3-4 premiere #1 receivers, a bona fide deep threat.

His acquisition was figured to provide a synergy of allowing Mayfield to go deep (remember he had a very high rating on deep patterns his rookie year), free up Callaway as the other deep threat who could face #3 corners, and open up underneath for Higgins and Njoku, not to mention spreading the field for Chubb & later Hunt.

But Mayfield's deep balls usually came with his buying time to maneuver in the pocket or roll to his right.

The tackles couldn't sustain blocks all that well on 7-step drops.

A third of their vaunted interior OL went from the penthouse (Zeitler) to the outhouse (law firm of Corbett, Kush & Tretter).

Receiving threat underneath of Njoku was gone (and his speed allowed him to be more of an intermediate threat than a safety valve).

Other TE's were more receivers than blockers/chippers.

And given the time Mayfield had to throw (on the Tim Couch two second pitch count), Beckham was good for one perfect slant pass TD. But since all defenses now religiously guard against that, he's reduced to short patterns in traffic, or long patterns where he looks back hoping to see a ball 5 yards from hitting him, or Baker in the middle of a throw to him, and instead sees his qb scurrying about in the pocket about to get hit.

So Beckham catching balls 7 yards past the LOS in traffic is a waste of his speed, and puts his diminutive build in harm's way. Landry is the underneath guy. Beckham is a fish out of water.

The Browns accommodated most of Beckham's foibles and eccentricities because of the expected payoff in stellar play. That included giving him and Landry the lion's share of snaps. Higgins and Callaway? Oh, take your time, and we'll get to you. We don't want anyone horning in on the stars' PT.

But the end result was that Landry's production justified his targets. The offense was structured in a way to not be able to exploit Beckham's game. At all.

And ya can't have it both ways. Three weeks ago, nobody heard of OBJ having a sports hernia or groin injury. If he's injured, he should be held out week by week or go on IR. Nobody gets a medal for gutting it out if they're useless on the field.

Yet the coaches waiting to get word from on high. OBJ said he was good to go, so they played him, hoping the next game would be his monster turnaround with 11 catches for 203 yards and 3 TD's. Then he'd be happy, and of course everybody else would be happy as well.

Thank God the Browns didn't draft Andre Rison, thinking he'd make Bernie sooo much better. Kosar had a fading Ozzie Newsome, a good one in Slaughter, and pedestrian receivers like Brennan and Langhorne, who Bernie made a whole lot better.

Mayfield did the same thing last year with one very good receiver (Landry) and a bunch of no names.

Getting the top shelf #1 wasn't going to work when the rest of the offense was even less geared to accommodate him than last year's model.

GF:

Always loved the Patriots ability to scheme utility from B list players. We seem to be the opposite. But the Pats also have the strongest team first vibe in the league, so it may be apples to shotguns.

AA:

And the bloom is off the rookie QB as the leader. I think his stock has taken a bit of a dive this year. Last year, he was one of the guys. This year, he was one of the Fab 4 at the presser, and the commercials come off as tone deaf. It's certainly not Baker's fault that they're overplayed, but there they are.

Mayfield can certainly reclaim his position, but it seems like he's lost a few of the attributes fans showered him with last year.

• Nice post, but I don't see how playing Ratley and Hodge over Higgins affects anything related to OBJ, and keeps him happier. I don't see how ditching Fells for Harris, or tossing Avery, Charles, or any number of other B list players for different B listers has improved the team noticeably.

Perriman and Corbett I get, although it'd be nice to have Perriman back, wouldn't it?

This post was edited by Gameface64 1 month ago

• The only thing I can figure is that Hodge is taking over the Callaway role - very fast receiver with deep speed to stretch the defense and open things up in the middle of the field and sidelines for OBJ and Landry. Higgins is kind of a poor man's Landry so maybe they figure he is redundant.

Ratley is also very fast. It looks like they want one burner to threaten deep. It was supposed to be Callaway, but he flamed out. Word is they traded for Hodges because they want more outside speed. Probably why Ratley was drafted because it sure wasn't his production.

• GF:

Nice post, but I don't see how playing Ratley and Hodge over Higgins affects anything related to OBJ, and keeps him happier.

AA:

Playing Higgins gives Mayfield cause to go with a familiar target and take away tosses from the less familiar Beckham.

GF:

I don't see how ditching Fells for Harris, or tossing Avery, Charles, or any number of other B list players for different B listers has improved the team noticeably.

AA:

Fells and Charles may be better blockers than Harris and Seal-Jones and have provided more blocking support for the longer routes.

AA:

Perriman and Corbett I get, although it'd be nice to have Perriman back, wouldn't it?

AA:

Meh. He was successful on longer routes, the ones the Browns can’t sustain now for OBJ.

• Playing Higgins might have resulted in more first downs, and forced opponents to defend 3 receivers instead of 2, opening more space for Beckham. Secondly, OBJ doesn't just run deep routes, he should be winning on slants and outs. It's possible his injury is has robbed him of the extra half step of speed and separation. It may be the route combinations aren't scheming him open. It may be that Mayfield's sophomore funk is the issue. Above my pay grade, but in regards to Higgins, a rising tide blah blah blah.

Good point about Perriman, but again, Beckham can't be running nothing but go routes. It's good to have more than one burner. It's great to have guys who run pristine short routes, but you can't ever be too rich or too thin or have enough team speed in the NFL Mecole Hardman in KC gets one or two targets every game, and every other game he scores a long touchdown. He's a tiny cog in the Chief offense, but in Mob parlance, he's an earner.