10 on Sunday (Bills Edition)

10 on Sunday (Bills Edition)

• Shoutout to Shelley and Patty and the Browns Backers Tucson for providing a home away from home for the game. Great turnout at the Trident III.

1). The difference of red zone offenses. Browns only getting worse with 10 “and goal” plays for 0 yards while the Bills didn’t have to think twice about scoring. Until, of course, the pass that finally broke the ice jam somewhere north of Siberia.

2). Siebert is definitely suffering from Greg Joseph Syndrome. As focused and consistent as he’s looked on FG’s (his 47 yarder in the third at the noriously tricky east end of the stadium was clutch), he has now pushed 3 PATS wide right. Yea, it didn’t come from the usual distance because of the taunting penalty, but you’d think Siebert would focus more to prevent the obvious cause and effect. The miss really added a mouse turd upon the hot fudge sundae of an opening drive. The Mayfield TD pass was typical of last year: a dicey choice to a covered receiver, but perfect accuracy had it work out.

3). Be careful what you wish for. So many fans have been insistent about Chubb getting it on short yardage situations, and after his terrific run that ended in a scrum down at the 1, the Bills just stuffed him at every opportunity. Chubb saw his yac go from about 8 down to 2 once he was in the red zone. This is where they needed any running plays with both Chubb and Hunt in the backfield. Would this turn into yet another 14 point swing? It didn’t, but it was the start of a major momentum shift.

Their second “and goal” drive saw similar results with a very risky bullet pass to Landry in a crowd, and the same fake inside handoff fake and pitch to Chubb that most decidedly didn’t net 9 yards the second time around. The 4th down attempt was to merely draw encroachment, but turned into a false start. If that was truly an attempt to draw a penalty, what does anyone on the unit have to do but... not do anything?

4). Gut check with 14:30 left in the half, did you get the feeling that the Bills survived the onslaught of the Browns first two drives, and that their adjustments worked better than Cleveland’s? Browns came out with a couple of haymakers, and all they had to show for it was 6-0 instead of 14-0.

Gut check II with 9:10 left in the game. Offense stalled, and it seems like a matter of time before Allen takes advantage of his clean pockets and starts making accurate throws.

5). Regrettably agree with the pass vs. fumble call re/ Allen. Surprised that Garrett didn’t use his right hand to swipe at Allen’s arm and knock it loose. Allen still had the strength to manage the ball forward. Everybody knows the intent behind the throw (avoid the sack), but dems de rules.

6). I’d have thought that with under 20 seconds left in the half, the Browns would go vertical to at least draw a PI, but they seemed content to conservative and pad the rushing yards. They couldn’t even put themselves in position for a Hail Mary.

7). On Browns safety, Mayfield didn’t look in the direction of the guy who sacked him? Oblivious? Not enough time to get off the play to adequately scan the formation? An empty backfield that deep in their own end? Pick your poison. All don’t reflect well on the team.

8). Dawg scraps....

Team really missed Vernon. Garrett was double teamed a lot, and if PFF can award a negative grade on pass rushing, Thomas was definitely capable of earning it. Allen had a clean pocket most of the way.

Can we give the inside screens to Chubb in a crowd a rest?

Terrific outlet pass to Hunt on the right side in space, but the sideline pass to him a few plays later was an alarmingly bad target selection. It seems like when the Browns have many average receivers, Mayfield simply chose targets who were open. With impact receivers, Mayfield seems more intent upon targeting them, even when they’re not open. That worked in the case of Landry’s TD catch, not in the case of Beckham in the red zone or Hunt blanketed along the sideline.

9). Typical TCE play. Richardson chucks the ball out of Allen’s grip, Browns defenders around the ball, but just of reach, and a Bills lineman comes charging in to snatch it back. The TD overturned by NY merely meant the difference of 30 seconds less. The capper would have been the shovel pass being viewed as a pitch and thus being returned for a TD. Fortunately two such plays, besides having the similarity of being disasters, have to both scbe viewed as forward passes.

And yet a divergence from the usual script allowed for a sputtering drive with third down conversions, and two icebreakers: the TD pass, and a hard luck kicker NOT saving the best kick of his career against the Browns.

10). So now what?

A victory is a victory, but the Browns needed the help of the Football Gods to pull out a win (or an avoidance of overtime) when they should have been up 21-7 at the half. I just don’t think the win bought Kitchens as much as some might think. The playcalling wasn’t predictable so much as repetitious, like Freddie made a bet that he could go the entire game on just 25 plays.

If the Steelers clean their clock, and partially because the Browns continue to play poorly, then it’s only matter of whether Dorsey has been maneuvering behind the scenes to hire his second coach, and no interim. Wasn’t Marty a mid season replacement who was not deigned an interim?

No 10 on Thursday. I’ll be flying back east that night. Cross your fingers that this icebreaker is the springboard for even better play against the Steelers.

• Discussion
  • Vaark said... (original post) Shoutout to Shelley and Patty and the Browns Backers Tucson for providing a home away from home for the game. Great turnout at the Trident III.1). Th...

Goal line O- OMG. LOL. (Except for the laughing part...)

Hunt- I think his addition can be a big improvement if used correctly.

Landry- Started badly, but ended up having a very, very nice day. I could hardly have made a better catch than the one he made at the end.

Freddie- I see a glimmer. It looked like there was a new energy to the play-calling and hence the execution. Quite often. Not always. Getting the penalties a bit more in order. A glimmer, though. Keep it up Freddie. Hang in so you can hang on.

2 ways to look at it: BFD, we barely won a game we should have won. Or maybe we're getting back on track even if it was sorta ugly at times.

• I’ll never agree with awarding forward progress to the offense on a fumble. If you fumble the ball forward and you recover then the ball should be returned to the original spot of the fumble. Bills shot themself in the foot and were awarded for it.

• ergoipso said... (original post) Goal line O- OMG. LOL. (Except for the laughing part...)Hunt- I think his addition can be a big improvement if used correctly.Landry- Started badl...

SD:

One technical point of order ,Thomas maybe lucky if not good , he snagged a sack and got away with slapping Allen and snatching him by the shoulder Pads .

Garrett could use a lesson.…..……..…

>>>

SoulDawg

• Well we won the game, but I don't know how. Forcing the ball to Beckham will only work if he catches it. He had only 1 catch on 6 targets with 2 drops in the first half. Seems like a small return on our investment.

I also feel OBJ's attitude is rubbing off on Landry. His lack of professionalism after his TD catch is concerning.

At this point I'm starting to ask myself " is Freddie trying to get fired"? 3 times they pitched the ball to Chubb down at the goal line, yet they didn't run that play once anywhere else on the field. Is that really a red zone play? If it is, it needs to be scraped b/c it lost yardage all 3 times. The plays they ran in the red zone were ridiculously ineffective. If they wanted to get wide they should have used Hunt. Between the 20's the line run blocks pretty good, but their power running in short yardage stinks. They get zero push. You have to be able to run it in from the 1 yard line. If you can't, you're not going to win many games.

Defensively Wilks is killing us. Seems on every 3rd and 10 we play off coverage at the sticks, and every time it seems we give up the first down. Happened last week in Donkeyland and again this week. Even I can complete those passes. Zero pressure plus soft zone coverage equals first down. We can't get off the field unless they drop a pass.

Nine games in and we still are playing like it's X game 1.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Well we won the game, but I don't know how. Forcing the ball to Beckham will only work if he catches it. He had only 1 catch on 6 targets wi...

Your comments are like a synopsis of all the new things this WIP is still figuring out:

- OBJ and how best to use him and what affect he has on the team around him

- How Freddie is doing as a rookie HC

- How Hunt should be used

- How Wilks is doing as DC

Naturally, there are negative things in the development we can pick out. (Actually, some ugly things that really stick out.) But on balance I see a baby step forward as the team tries to figure out NFL life together. Overall, Landry played really well. Which may partly have been a result of the D fixating on OBJ. Chubb and Hunt looked good. (A combo that needs to be utilized as best as possible). Baker had ups and downs but not so bad. Same with Freddie. Say what you will, but OBJ is out there and looks so close to getting in rhythm with Baker. If Ds start to think more about the Chubb/Hunt combo, he may be ready to spring.

The end result was that we did get a victory against a team that has looked better than expected this year. Short week, so let's feel good as we get ready to thump the Squeelers.

• Vaark said... (original post) Shoutout to Shelley and Patty and the Browns Backers Tucson for providing a home away from home for the game. Great turnout at the Trident III.1). Th...

Some credit to the Bills D, but those failed red zone runs start with the offensive line not getting things blocked up. We ran outside and we ran inside and we ran nowhere. The passes to Beckham didn't bother me as playcalls. He had both hands on the fade, and by his own admission, he dropped a number of balls he should have caught.

Nick Chubb is the man. How many runs were extended by 3, 4, 5 yards on his effort and sheer will not to go down. People can drag Landry for his dumb penalty, but is there anybody on the offense playing with more fire than him and Chubb. I get that Higgins is in the doghouse, and we know why, but not playing him is the team cutting off their nose to spite their face. Higgins just makes plays, and the more plays he makes, the less attention Beckham and Landry will attract. And hey......did Callaway even play today?

I don't understand Wilks' reluctance to blitz inexperienced QB's. He finally dialed some up in the 4th quarter, but there were situations earlier in the game where the Bills were 20 yards behind the sticks, and Allen had a lifetime in the pocket and the arm to rip off a long gain against zone coverage. Major credit to the defense for every yard they denied on the Bills' last drive, making the FG attmept a little longer than Hauschka could convert.

Also thought the tackling was better.

Talking about plays that should be retired. The little flip in the air jet sweep got blown up in NE and was almsot the head shot today. Looked like Baker was late with the toss, maybe Hunt's game speed was a half step faster than practice speed.

Saw a little bit of the Steeler game after the Packers/Panthers finished here in NY.. The Rams may not be all that this year, but the reports of the Steelers' demise seems stupidly premature. Dupree and Watt pressuring from the outside, Bush roaming around the middle, and Fitzpatrick controlling the back end....doesn't bode well for a happy Friday for us. If Wilks has an aggressive bone in his body, he needs to locate it. Another green QB coming up. Let him sit in a clean pocket and he will hurt us.

• Callaway was inactive- don’t know if injury-related.

• Must have been a disciplinary thing. In the post game press conf, Kitchens said the reason was between him and Callaway.

• Vegas was spot on. Browns by 3, thanks to a Bills missed field goal from 37.

Nice win, but if they play like this they won’t beat the Steelers or Ravens.

Nick Chubb is a beast. Such a joy to watch him operate. And Hunt is going to provide a big lift for this offense. 7 catches, 74 yards from scrimmage and he also threw some blocks for Chubb. He had a huge catch for a first down on 3rd-and-7 on the game-winning drive.

Landry had a great game catching 9 passes in 10 targets, including an awesome catch to set up the winning TD. Beckham was just OK, but he had at least five catches for the fourth game in a row so he’s gradually starting to contribute.

If not for the inability to score from inside the three-yard line this game would not have been that close. They had the same problem against the Broncos. To be fair, OBJ would have had two TD’s if not for pass interference.

Great call on the TD to Higgins. They put all the "shiny objects" on the left which left Higgins man-to-man by himself on the right. Baker looked left and came back to Higgins who had totally lost his man for an easy TD. They need to remember that play. Baker and Higgins have great timing.

I’m all for Monken to take over the play calling. And can we either figure out how to do a shovel pass or stop running it? I mean, it’s a pass that travels three feet. How do you miss the receiver entirely? They also had one to Chubb broken up on the goal line.

Mayfield played pretty well except for one awful throw that should have been picked but bounced off the defender’s chest.

On the Bills’ first touchdown I was calling the QB draw as soon as I saw the spread formation. Sure enough it was a QB draw and Allen jogged into the end zone untouched. I can’t believe I knew what was coming but the Browns were clueless. At least they were ready the next time the Bills tried it from the same spot.

The defense did a great job holding the Bills to 16 points. Not that the Bills have a good offense, but 16 points is good against anybody. No turnovers, but Allen hasn’t thrown a pick in over 100 passes. The Bills only got 84 yards rushing.

Denzel Ward did a nice job in coverage and Greedy looked pretty good as well. It’s good to see Ward breaking up passes again.

That was a much-needed win against an average team but a win is a win and the Browns desperately needed this one.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 10 months ago

• That taunting penalty by Landry almost killed us. It cost us a point because it looked like the kick would have been good from 15 yards closer. If the Bills make one of their two field goal attempts we're going to OT, which is the last thing we need with a Thursday night game coming up. Also, we could have lost in OT.

And what did Landry have to taunt about? The guy had him totally covered but Baker just made a tremendous throw.

I think having Randall in place of Whitehead at safety was a big help.

• The safety was entirely on Freddie Kitchens. The team got the call in late. I watched the clock. He huddled up with 14 seconds left. Broke the huddle with 10 got lined up with 5.4.3.2.1... Didn't even have time to move someone or even read a defense and yet he hiked it... Baker is getting F-Over because of plays like this. It happens at least 1 or 2 times a drive and 9 times out of 10 its a wasted play. THAT is all on Freddie unless you think a 2nd year QB should call a play get to the line make adjustments all in 14 seconds. Add in the fact that he went 5 wide on our own 2 yard line with Hunt and Chubb on our team is just some bat ***** crazy stuff

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) That taunting penalty by Landry almost killed us. It cost us a point because it looked like the kick would have been good from 15 yards closer. ...

Yeah, yeah. The taunting thing wasn't smart. But overall, Landry had a very good game and made some key catches. In fact, the TD catch that led to the taunting penalty was very good. I disagree it was all about Baker's toss. I have a feeling Landry has some sort of history with some of the Bills defenders. Don't think it's part of his usual MO.

Freddie and Monken really need to figure out how best to use Chubb and Hunt together. It could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Hunt looks like he could become a Duke on steroids. If Ds start to focus on stopping them, hello OBJ and Landry.

But with all that said, given the unholy rise of the Rats and the Squeelers, I fear that any improvement will be too little too late this year. But it will give one hope for next year. (Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah. Right here.) We have enough talent on the roster. Do we have the right HC, though?

• mythrand said... (original post) The safety was entirely on Freddie Kitchens. . Add in the fact that he went 5 wide on our own 2 yard line with Hunt and Chubb on our team is just ...

Oh yeah. You could see that safety coming from a mile away. With our tackles, why the f"""k go empty right there? It's like Kitchens is drunk or having thsee strange mental lapses out of nowhere. The only way you run that formation in that situation is if you're throwing a slant on timing and the ball is out on Mayfield's 3rd step. Dumber than dogsh'''t.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Oh yeah. You could see that safety coming from a mile away. With our tackles, why the f"""k go empty right there? It's like ...

SD:

You can't go five wide empty inside your 20 with our oline maybe from our 40 or beyond running tempo with a lead going downhill with a team on its heels , but not then and not there.

Freddie did his damndest to blow that game ,with his monkey throwing darts approach to play calling .

Landry's makeup play all game was to atone for his selfishness that cripple us from really grabbing the first half by the jugular .

It influenced Freddie pressing and recklessly pursuing TD's forestalling the sure points ,and if not for Hubbard snapping Freddie back into reality and retaking the lead , today's news is about Kitchens firing preceding the inbred game instead of a win.

>>>

SoulDawg

>>>>>

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) That taunting penalty by Landry almost killed us. It cost us a point because it looked like the kick would have been good from 15 yards closer. ...

While I don't know, on one of Landry's catches earlier on that drive, one of the Bills defenders gave him a two armed shove in the chest well after the play was over leading to some jawing after the play. If it was the same CB, it could have been a continuation of that. Even so, it was stupid. Play with fire, I get it, but the Browns have no margin for error right now, and as one of the leaders, he need to show the way. It's one thing if he gets a penalty standing up for a teammate, but this was just for him.

That said, he kept his head the rest of the game, so it's an isolated incident that fortunately didn't cost the team.
  • ergoipso said... (original post) Freddie and Monken really need to figure out how best to use Chubb and Hunt together. It could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Hunt lo...

Yep, this combination, if used effectively, could save the offense, along with Higgins coming back. Like Baker said, we need a "consistent third receiver".

The addition of Hunt changes everything because of his ability and willingness to do everything: run, catch, and even block.

"I hate seeing my man make the play. If I'm blocking that man, he's not going to be nowhere near the football and if he is, I'll make sure it won't happen again." - Kareem Hunt after the Bills game

Here's a guy that led the NFL in rushing as a rookie and he's more than willing to be a lead blocker and not only that, he wants to be the best at it.

He also caught seven passes with no drops. He's tremendous with the ball in his hands. And he blocks like a fullback

The Browns can put him in the slot and have him block like a tight end on running plays to that side. Or they can have him run a pass pattern out of the slot - linebackers can't stay with him. Or they can hand him the ball or use him on screen passes. They can fake a handoff to Chubb to freeze the linebackers and swing a pass to Hunt in space. So many options.

They had a nice play yesterday where Hunt lined up wide and came in motion across the backfield. They faked a jet sweep to him and then handed off to Chubb up the middle for 16 yards.

With a below average offensive line the Browns need to find ways to get the ball quickly into the hands of Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, and Landry. If the Browns can keep all their skill players while improving the offensive line in the off-season this offense could be exceptional next year. Right now they're limited in what they can do by the deficiencies at RG, RT, and LT.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Oh yeah. You could see that safety coming from a mile away. With our tackles, why the f"""k go empty right there? It's like ...

Yeah, dumb play and they got it in late. Baker didn't see the safety blitz but he was supposed to throw a quick pass so it wouldn't matter. The Bills jammed up the route so Baker looked the other way but by then it was too late. I suppose he should have thrown in away if the first option wasn't open.

• The positive takeaway is the Browns were playing a good defense and they came real close to putting 30 points on the board. If they scored TD's on the two possessions where they had first-and-goal from the 1- or 2-yard lines instead of settling for one field goal it would have added 11 points to the total. They have to realize they don't have the offensive line to power it over the goal line. They should just throw and give Landry and Beckham the chance to beat their coverage. Beckham beat his man twice and forced pass interference, giving the Browns more plays from the one.

I liked the concept of putting Beckham and Landry on the same side, drawing the focus of the defense, and leaving Higgins isolated on the other side against their 3rd or 4th corner. Easy TD on the first try yesterday. Higgins is a bigger target, has great hands, and he and Mayfield always seem to be in sync.

A DB shoved Landry after the play just before the taunt. Shoulda been a penalty if they were going to call Landry for what he did. Not sure if it was the same DB, but I understand why Landry did it.

eta - Oops, DSkribes already mentioned it. That's the problem with responding serially. My bad.

This post was edited by JabbaTheMutt 10 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The positive takeaway is the Browns were playing a good defense and they came real close to putting 30 points on the board. If they scored TD&#x...

I forgot to mention the Higgins element. Along with the Hunt addition, we have plenty of talent on O other than the line. Just needs to be used right by the Fredken Twins. If Wilkins can keep the team in games, it could be a good finish to the season. Too little, too late. But we may end the year with the sign that things are getting figured out. Wilkins doesn't have the fire of a Gregg Williams, but he does a fine workman-like job. (Every time I see him on the side-lines, he always looks like Denzel Washington's serious older brother.)

We better be figuring out how to function together. With the rise of Landry and what's been happening in Pittsburgh, we'll need all the help we can get. Kicking the Bungles around is all well and good. But it gets boring after awhile and really doesn't lead anywhere.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The positive takeaway is the Browns were playing a good defense and they came real close to putting 30 points on the board. If they scored TD's ...

I get what you're saying, but based on 9 games, it seems pretty clear that those 11 points aren't there, and so "close" isn't really a positive. But I'm really responding to your last sentence about the Browns needing to realize they don't have the power game to say this: Kitchens is way too stubborn.

While I understand why he went for it for the 8th time in a row - show your guys you trust them - he also needs to look at the game situation and understand that the FG puts them up 2 scores. That's a different situation than if the score 0-0 or otherwise tied. When the team comes off the field saying they wanted to go, that's a pretty good explanation. And, as we saw, those three points would have changed the end of the game significantly (although maybe the Bills go for it on 4th and score the TD, but I digress).

Then they get back to the 1 and try to go for it again. My tongue is nowhere near my cheek when I say that Hubbard's false start was one of the most positive plays of the game. Again, you can believe in your guys and score points. This lack of game situation is manifesting itself in too many places, and it seems to be about things that aren't about winning games, or at least not about the longer view of putting the team in better situations to win (obviously scoring the TD puts you in a better situation than a FG, but it's okay to be realistic about your team and take points).

It's good to push your team, it's good to trust them, but it's better to understand where they are and what they can do and make decisions that are for the greater good rather than proving a point.

This post was edited by DSkribes 10 months ago

• DSkribes said... (original post) I get what you're saying, but based on 9 games, it seems pretty clear that those 11 points aren't there, and so "close" isn&#x...

Agree 100%. The strength of this offense is not rooting out defensive lines in goal line situations and there are stats to show that. They need to realize those aren't the plays most likely to be successful and spend a lot of time in practice working on something else. They need to use Beckham and Landry in those situations. Harris was open against Denver but failed to get his feet down. He's a big target with good hands.

Isolating Higgins worked perfectly - I can see them going back to that.

A play action pass to the tight end seems to be the most consistently successful goal line play but I don't have any stats to support that.

• MYTH:

WTF was he suppose to do? He had 4 seconds from the time they lined up to snapping the ball. Did his OL even have time to change the protection? I am sure he was looking at the play clock trying to get the play off in time and he probably had been instructed not to burn TO's needlessly...

AA:

Four seconds is enough time to check for the most obvious danger: an unguarded defender on either corner, and then call time. The field level replay had a terrific shot of Edmunds in the foreground and Mayfield looking straight ahead. I’d say avoiding a safety (at best) or a strip sack TD is more than worth a timeout.

MYTH:

The fact that after a TV time out the play and package got in so late is 100% on the coaching.

AA:

Absolutely, and that’s not the first time they’ve had to rush it following a tv timeout. This is one huge impediment that hasn’t been solved with the passing weeks, and that becomes a severe indictment.

MYTH:

The play call was stupid.

AA:

Don’t know the play other than a pass, but going to the LOS with seconds left puts you in a more than precarious position when an Edmunds is standing on the corner ready to make a beeline to a QB who didn’t see him coming because he never looked that way for starters. I don’t buy the “he’s only a second year QB” excuse when he already showed himself to be very heady as a rookie. I’d say the lack of time attributed to playcalling is 90% of the problem. But Mayfield has to provide a minimum of attention to the obvious... and the obvious is a defender with a clear shot to take his head off in two seconds flat.

• DSkribes said... (original post) I get what you're saying, but based on 9 games, it seems pretty clear that those 11 points aren't there, and so "close" isn&#x...

"It's good to push your team, it's good to trust them, but it's better to understand where they are and what they can do and make decisions that are for the greater good rather than proving a point."

-- The "obvious" that so often gets de-valued is that the Browns are a WIP. Once we get past the pre-season excitement that we had about how awesome they are, that's the simple truth.

Given that, was a rookie HC of limited decision-making experience really the right guy for our GM to choose? Especially when he had other options staring him in the face? If the 3-6 record- and ugly play at times- is an indication of the learning curve Freddie has been having, the answer right now might be: Hell no.

However, if the trend shows a progressing team and an improving HC by the end of this season, it may be a "Hell yes" as far as Freddie's future. If so, that's also a "Hell yes" as far as Dorsey's ability as GM. As far as that, if Jim Bob is a half-way competent owner, he should have a few trusted advisors who are experienced in management who help him evaluate Dorsey's performance simply as a manager of a franchise. (Independently evaluate it, btw. Not associates of Dorsey.) No esoteric football stuff. Just basic management stuff.

But that calls for a half-way competent owner who has a creative and critical approach. Being Jim Bob, I doubt he does. Probably he puts all reliance on Dee's wisdom...

• ergoipso said... (original post) "It's good to push your team, it's good to trust them, but it's better to understand where they are and what they can do and m...

We have four games left against weak opponents (AZ, Cincy x2, Miami) and three games against strong opponents (Balt, Pitts x 2). I'm thinking Freddie won't get a lot points for beating the four bad teams, although he'll be screwed if he loses to ANY of them at this point in the season. His job will come down to how we do against Balt and Pitts. If he wins two or three he should be fine. If he wins one - I don't know. It could depend if the other two come down to the final minute. If we go 0-3 and end up 7-9 I think he's gone because that means he's only beaten one good team all year (Ravens) and one average team (Buffalo).