10 on Sunday (Bills Edition)

10 on Sunday (Bills Edition)

• Vaark said... (original post) MYTH:WTF was he suppose to do? He had 4 seconds from the time they lined up to snapping the ball. Did his OL even have time to change the protection? ...

I looked at that play again in the NFL highlighhts. We had 4 recievers running verticals and Hillard running a shallow cross underneath. Mayfield looks left (away from the blitz) for the outside WR who's trying to drive his defender downfield and do a quick stop. I believe that was the designed first read. Couldn't really see the defender in the frame, maybe he wasn't far enough off, but Mayfield doesn't pull the trigger. Just as he starts to look back to Hilliard he gets creamed by the blitzing safety.

Just poor situational awareness by all. If Mayfield would have ID'd the blitzer he could have gone to Hillard as his hot read for a short gain, maybe 2 or 3 yards. Hard for the outside WR to see the blitz from across the field, he might have cut his route shorter if he did. Maybe Mayfield was afraid of the DB driving on the stop route and walking a pick into the end zone. WTF do I know, but 4 verticals, even with a stop built in, seems to be risky with the QB setting up on the goal line.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) We have four games left against weak opponents (AZ, Cincy x2, Miami) and three games against strong opponents (Balt, Pitts x 2). I'm thinki...

I agree that the team's record down the stretch will have a big value as far as Freddie's evaluation. (And it should also apply to Dorsey's evaluation as well). But beyond that I think how well the team looks in being prepared and disciplined and how well Freddie looks in real-time game management will also have a big value. Losing and winning will matter even more when judging Freddie if it looks like they are despite or because of him. HCs and GMs are judged just like the rest of us: What's the value-added when it's all weighed up?

I guess owners- especially ones who come from family money- are exempt from that in many cases. Jim Bob is a little bit more of a real-world business man than RandyJams. But not a ton. He's accomplished some things, but it's not like he was ever going to be a 7-11 clerk if things didn't go his way.

• DSkribes said... (original post) While I don't know, on one of Landry's catches earlier on that drive, one of the Bills defenders gave him a two armed shove in the chest ...

It was not the same DB and Landry was running his mouth at the guy before the shove. No penalty was called but the refs saw it and said something as the players were separating. I would bet that influenced the flag being thrown on the TD. Just not smart, and made worse when you've lost 4 in a row.

• ergoipso said... (original post) I agree that the team's record down the stretch will have a big value as far as Freddie's evaluation. (And it should also apply to Dorse...

In response to an ESPN radio host calling the Browns "dumb" and "super-undisciplined", Joe Thomas had this to say...

“I think if they do want to go on a little bit of a run and make it interesting down the stretch here and try to sneak in with one of those wild-card spots, they have got to start playing a little bit more like a veteran team, because going down to the goal line and getting zero points in eight plays is not smart, winning football.”

I think Thomas' opinion is very respected and he was saying the Browns did not play smart, especially on the goal line plays. He said they are a young team that will do stupid things, but they need to play more like veterans the rest of the season.

I agree that part of the decision on whether to retain Freddie will be on whether this team plays "young and dumb" or more like a veteran team down the stretch.

One example was Antonio Callaway, who pretty much epitomizes the young and dumb aspect of this team. He stayed in the team hotel the night before the game but took advantage of Freddie allowing players to go home on Sunday morning and reporting to the stadium on their own. Callaway was 20 minutes late, possibly because he didn't park in the right lot, so Freddie deactivated him. Give me a break.

The Browns acknowledged that Callaway was in the game plan. He was being counted on. He caught five passes last week and seemed to be getting back in the groove after his suspension. Then he goes and does something dumb. What the F was so important that he needed to go home for? Why not just chill in the hotel and take the team bus?

This crap has got to stop, along with the taunting penalty after a touchdown gives you a 6-0 lead early in the first quarter. Really, Jarvis? It's not like that TD won the game in OT. That stupid penalty could have lost us the game and Landry is not a young, stupid player.

I don't think the Browns can beat the Steelers and Ravens the way those teams have been playing the last 6-7 games, but it will be important to be competitive and to play like a smart, veteran team and not like a young, stupid team.

This is a veteran team with the exception of Callaway, Mack Wilson, and Greedy Williams. Mayfield, Chubb, and Ward are second year players but they have started most of their games. Two rookie starters on defense, none on offense. A lot of mid-career veterans. I disagree with Joe Thomas - this is not a young team, they just don't have anybody over 30.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• mythrand said... (original post) The safety was entirely on Freddie Kitchens. The team got the call in late. I watched the clock. He huddled up with 14 seconds left. Broke the hud...

Yeah well you need to take it up with Joe Thomas Myth. I just listened to a interview he gave with Bull & Fox where he said and I quote " That safety was 100% on Mayfield. He looked the wrong way, the play was supposed to go to the right. That's where his "hot" was, he turned left".

So if you don't believe me, believe Joe.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Yeah, dumb play and they got it in late. Baker didn't see the safety blitz but he was supposed to throw a quick pass so it wouldn't ma...

Joe Thomas said that safety was 100% on Baker Mayfield. So there you go. He said it on Bull &Fox.

• midhawk said... (original post) It was not the same DB and Landry was running his mouth at the guy before the shove. No penalty was called but the refs saw it and said something a...

The DB Landry was jawing at was a former Bama player where as Landry is former LSU

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Joe Thomas said that safety was 100% on Baker Mayfield. So there you go. He said it on Bull &Fox.

Has Joe seen Freddie's playbook? I believe the play was to go right. However, Baker still missed the safety being lined up, so it is on him mostly. Play call at that field position is kind of stupid though.

• The point wasn't whether mayfield messed up... The point is Freddie put him in a less than ideal situation to win the play. First by getting it in late he doesn't give him time to get set and see the field. Second he calls a 5 wide inside our own 5... What are the %'s on a play call like that? i want a coach that tries to give Baker every chance to succeed... That means calling a play with a higher % success inside the 5. Getting the play in so he has enough time to see everything and make adjustments. You fail more often if you aren't doing everything in your power to maximize your chance for success AND that was my point. Freddie is putting Baker in sub-optimal situations when its not necessary which in turn lowers the chance of us scoring, sustaining a drive etc..

• glousterbrown said... (original post) The DB Landry was jawing at was a former Bama player where as Landry is former LSU

And, the guy that shoved Landry played at LSU.

Regardless, after you've already run your mouth and the refs are watching you is a hell of a good time to shut up and play. In the end it didn't cost the Browns a win, but it would have been nice to be up 4 and not have to worry about a FG sending you to OT.

• mythrand said... (original post) The point wasn't whether mayfield messed up... The point is Freddie put him in a less than ideal situation to win the play. First by getting ...

Blah,blah,blah. Paint it anyway you want. But the fact remains that Mayfield didn't execute the play as called. Had he, he wouldn't have taken a sack/safety.

I know Baker is your hero, but that doesn't mean every mistake he makes on the field is someone else' fault.

I don't like the offense we're running either, but if Baker was the QB everyone seems to think he is, he could execute the plays called whenever/ wherever on the field.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Blah,blah,blah. Paint it anyway you want. But the fact remains that Mayfield didn't execute the play as called. Had he, he wouldn't hav...

"but if Baker was the QB everyone seems to think he is, he could execute the plays called whenever/ wherever on the field."

-- I think that road runs in 2 directions. The player makes the HC look good by executing the play called, the HC makes the player look good by calling plays that he is able to execute well.

But the neat thing is that the HC and the QB were put in place by the same GM! Their performance is a direct reflection on his ability to function competently or incompetently.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) We have four games left against weak opponents (AZ, Cincy x2, Miami) and three games against strong opponents (Balt, Pitts x 2). I'm thinki...

I agree--6-10 or 7-9 won't do it. That's a sign of regression with a better roster.

• ERGO:

But the neat thing is that the HC and the QB were put in place by the same GM! Their performance is a direct reflection on his ability to function competently or incompetently.

AA:

But the reflection last year when the HC was the OC was markedly different than this year.

So which more accurately reflects the participants?