10 on Sunday (Dolphins Edition)

10 on Sunday (Dolphins Edition)

• mythrand said... (original post) I don't think you can use Arian's health as an excuse when in fact Freddie almost died on the field in Arizona with a much more serious ...

I'm not using an excuse. I'm imagining all the excuses Dorsey could employ. It's his hire, and he can think-- rightly or wrongly-- on anything he wants, including Bruce's fedoras.

And I had a torn heart valve. Believe me, if one ever has to be saddled with a heart ailment, that's the least threatening one to have.

In fact, two days after surgery, I had some volunteer guy walk into my room and tell me about a support group for heart patients, and would I like to join? He described his own situation of a quadruple bypass with stents and-- Lordy-- I don't what else.

I told him this all sounded like a noble effort, but sheepishly added that I didn't think I really qualified with such a hard core bunch since all I had was a slight tear. He confirmed my suspicions by responding that he didn't think this group was really meant for the likes of me, and "well, good luck to ya."

"Hey, good luck to you. You're the guy with the engine rebuild."

When the Browns were looking for HC, Arians was 66 and a prostate cancer survivor. And with a wife nagging him to get out of the game. Kitchens was 43. If you're looking for a HC to be more than a Pope Benedict seat warmer, there's no comparison.

• Vaark said... (original post) "Me: I can't imagine on what evidence Dorsey would have been making a judgment on Freddie's "player likes".AA:They're c...

"Admit it? You've been banging on dualing drums of doubt for a long while: Dorsey's ego unwilling to take on an experienced HC who could challenge him, and the ever looming threat of Haslam sticking his nose back into the football operations side o' things. Never mind that his visibility has taken on Howard Hughes proportions. He COULD come back any day now!"

-- And he could!!!!!!!! A few more half-crazed helmet attacks for all to see, a few more suspensions, a few more losses as Freddie looks clueless, a few more times the team looks mismanaged. Just when it looks like we've hit rock-bottom, Jim Bob can take it down to a new depth if given the chance. The horror...

But let's look at the bright side: We've won 3 in a row and red-faced Rudolph got benched last game. Every cloud has a silver lining. This wacky ride may somehow come to a good ending.

• ergoipso said... (original post) "Dorsey went ahead and hired Kitchens, believing the two had similar player likes, or that Kitchens would shape his coaching around Dorsey&#x...

It's all of the above. My guess is Dorsey didn't want to pair Baker with a temporary HC that why Arians wasn't considered. It's not like Bruce was going to be around for 10-15 years. Secondly, Bruce might have wanted Freddie as a OC, but Freddie didn't want to work under Arians. BA pissed down his neck in Arizona when he promoted Leftwich ahead of him.

Anyway BA hasn't shown anything in Tampa that says our record would be any different, It's time to stop worrying about what might have been. There's no going back, no do over's. In 2 divisional games Freddie has us 2-0 against the Rats and inbred, unheard of STR. So stop Bytchin'

• The lull is Freddie. When you have a 28 to 3 lead you really don't need to throw slants into a crowded middle of the field. Thats the time for high percentage 5 to 6 yard gains on first down. The Browns have two wrs that can get the rest with almost no risk.

Instead Freddie kept up with the higher risk throws into the most congested parts of the field.

Stupid! Stupid!

• poppa9601 said... (original post) It's all of the above. My guess is Dorsey didn't want to pair Baker with a temporary HC that why Arians wasn't considered. It'...

"It's time to stop worrying about what might have been. There's no going back, no do over's. In 2 divisional games Freddie has us 2-0 against the Rats and inbred, unheard of STR. So stop Bytchin'"

-- Actually my "worrying" and "bytchin'" isn't about the past and wanting a do over. It's about right now evaluating the thought-process of our GM that his past actions have indicated and what it may mean for the future progress of the franchise. That's kind of important. I think the Dorsey honeymoon is now over and we need to wipe the stars out of our eyes when looking at him. Of course not all that he's done is wrong-headed. Far from it. On the other hand, the In Dorsey We Trust glazed chant can pretty much stop.

As far as Freddie, he has indeed gone 2-0 against the Rats and Squeelers so far. All to the good. But let's also remember the Titan game, the Niner game, the Bronco game, the penalties, the suspensions, the odd calls, etc.

I'm not making any final judgment on Dorsey or Freddie. Just saying that there's plenty of bad to go with their good and it's still up in the air whether or not they are the right guys to have in our power structure. Sadly, I think our bar has been so lowered in the last few years that we're ready to love even a half-decent GM or HC.

• ERGO:

It's about right now evaluating the thought-process of our GM that his past actions have indicated and what it may mean for the future progress of the franchise.

AA:

Evaluating actions is one thing. Deeds are done and easy enough to discern. But evaluating "thought-process" is a Sam's Club-sized can of guess work. And the ready example is motivations behind hiring Kitchens. Three factors in descending order...

Freddie jump started the offense and Baker's rookie season- not hard to see, and Dorsey wanted to keep his FQB happy, cuz by mid-season, a beleagured Baker looked like he was getting in line with the other shellshocked troops and counting the days to free agency.

Freddie had to get the top job because it was the only way to fend off competing suitors- in retrospect, overblown. But keeping Freddie as OC was a tough sell for any candidate, and Gregg wasn't a viable one. He's had a history of wearing out his welcome.

Freddie wanted a rookie HC who wouldn't challenge his personnel choices- well, that's the cynical side of any GM wanting to hire a HC who was copacetic with his personnel preferences. And rather than think that Dorsey didn't want to deal with Williams' considerable ego, maybe it was more a deal of Dorsey figuring that Williams wasn't willing to deal with Kitchens as his OC. Gregg would have seen Freddie as Dorsey's pet, and that they'd gang up on him like Gregg and Todd did to Hue.

So pick these or other poisons, but the idea of fans judging Dorsey beyond his actions gets wading into moving flood waters.

ERGO:

I think the Dorsey honeymoon is now over and we need to wipe the stars out of our eyes when looking at him.

AA:

NOW over? It was over after week 1 if not before,

Corbett became a fiasco in TC and preseason. The seeming trade-off of Zeitler for Beckham was glossed over at the time with many fans even deriding Kevin on his way out the door. But it came back with a vengeance as Dorsey scrambled to solve the problem with a bushel basket of 3rd stringers.

This has been more the case of typical Browns fans acting like it was their first time in a canoe, rocking back and forth from one extreme of gushing admiration to the other of becoming the lynch mob.

ERGO:

Of course not all that he's done is wrong-headed. Far from it. On the other hand, the In Dorsey We Trust glazed chant can pretty much stop.

AA:

People just need to sit down in the canoe and quit shifting their weight from waaay the hell one side to well the hell over to the other.

ERGO:

As far as Freddie, he has indeed gone 2-0 against the Rats and Squeelers so far. All to the good. But let's also remember the Titan game, the Niner game, the Bronco game, the penalties, the suspensions, the odd calls, etc.

AA:

Sure. If you're the Ohio State coach, a 3-8 season is a disaster. The fact that it included a defeat of Michigan softens the blow, but still.... 3-8 doesn't afford many more seasons.

ERGO:

I'm not making any final judgment on Dorsey or Freddie. Just saying that there's plenty of bad to go with their good and it's still up in the air whether or not they are the right guys to have in our power structure. Sadly, I think our bar has been so lowered in the last few years that we're ready to love even a half-decent GM or HC.

AA:

Sure. And time is needed to see how draft picks turn into great players-- no wait, players in huge sophomore slumps.... wait, now they're improving.

Callaway was a worthwhile gamble-- wait, now he's gone.

Avery is a typical Steelers LB, slowly getting worked into the starting line-- oops, he's gone as well.

Thomas is a non-entity, only now he's not. But let's wait and see.

And I'd venture to say that the fan appetite for draft picks with off field concerns is starting to wane like that week old tuna salad in the fridge.

• Chemdog64 said... (original post) I’m surprised that nobody remembers we were up 28-0 at the half of the first Bungles game last year.

You and me both, especially when I mentioned it in the 10 after the game! Was that the game where Baker gave Hue the stink eye, or was that the second game? Browns had the same pattern: up 28-0, but gave up a score at the end of the half, and Dalton's backup came in to spark scores, though later as Cleveland was up 35-7. Thanks for what amounts to pointing out the pickle jar right in front of my nose when I couldn't find it.

Now I'm wondering what the hell Chris Myers was talking about.

• Gary Reents said... (original post) The lull is Freddie. When you have a 28 to 3 lead you really don't need to throw slants into a crowded middle of the field. Thats the time ...

Listening to one of the comentators and he thought Freddie comes in with a scripted play book. The plays in of themselves are not so bad but once the defenses catch on Freddie doesn't have an answer. Goes back to what i've said over and over. Freddies doesn't adjust. Like you are saying he keeping sticking with the script instead of adjusting. Don't know if its subborness (I kinda do. He is stubborn in numberous ways) or inept. Whichever its not a good thing. If we keep winning then bitching won't mean a thing and Freddie will continue on.

On the whole win out and get into the playoffs. Outside of the Ravens its a real possiblity. Bad thing is we face the Ravens when something can be on the line. Bad thing is the Steelers have them as their last game when most likley nothing will be.

• I think the Browns won 44-6 against the Cards in 2003, but we were only up 20-3 at the half.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200311160cle.htm

We were up 28-0 against the Bengals last year.
    Other than I don't think we've ever had many blowouts. In the 2014 Steelers win, we were up 31-3 at one point before they got a cheap TD at the end.

• Vaark said... (original post) You and me both, especially when I mentioned it in the 10 after the game! Was that the game where Baker gave Hue the stink eye, or was that the secon...

IIRC, Baker’s leer at Hue was the second game Vaark.

• The first game was Randall handing the interception to Hue, and Baker giving him the cold shoulder in the post game hug fest. IIRC.

• ergoipso said... (original post) "It's time to stop worrying about what might have been. There's no going back, no do over's. In 2 divisional games Freddie has ...

You funny E. You talk about the Titans, 49ers and Donkeys as if the team lost guaranteed wins. They didn't.

Not only I, but SD told anyone who would listen that the Titans were a bad matchup against the Browns. Of course, no one listened.

The 9ers? the 10-1 9ers? Yeah we should have won that one. SMH. West coast road trip against a undefeated team, should have been a gimme.

The Donkey game I'll give you, but that was lost by Wilks. Unknown QB playing his first ever game at the NFL level and we play a soft zone with off coverage. Brilliant!!!!

You and everyone else seem hell bent to blame either Dorsey or Freddie for this season. But just 2 weeks ago your hero QB plainly said he didn't do the little things during the offseason to get in sync with his WRs. Said he thought he could just show up and throw it to OBJ and Landry and win games. Candidate admission.

The good news is we're on a 3 game winning streak, the bad news is lose Sunday and the season is over. Either way, both Dorsey and Freddie will be here next year. As well they should, as nothing can be adequately judged from such a turbulent year so full of change.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) You funny E. You talk about the Titans, 49ers and Donkeys as if the team lost guaranteed wins. They didn't.Not only I, but SD told anyone wh...

SD:

That's right Pops keep predicting doom every week and rubbing that Rabbits foot wearing the same pants while we bust this move.

Nevermind this winning streak Horeshit .

We're on one in a row week 4 , the past doesn't matter and we can't look past Sunday and not take care of that business.

Tomlin is 12-0 at home vs the Browns , 13 ain't happenin , this Sunday .

Why ?

Because we're gonna go into Pissburg and roll them Urine clad inbred Lizards like the foul NFL dandy Beeyatches they are .

Get the Goose , get the Duck and line em all up for this f cuk .

Death to the inbred ,

>>>>

SoulDawg

• hamster said... (original post) Listening to one of the comentators and he thought Freddie comes in with a scripted play book. The plays in of themselves are not so bad but once t...

"Don't know if its subborness (I kinda do. He is stubborn in numberous ways) or inept."

-- As a rookie HC, he probably has a bit of both as he takes the Learning Curve. (Talk about stubborn, he refuses to acknowledge it exists. Either it's stubbornness or insane delusion...) I don't think Freddie is necessarily innately inept to be a good HC in the future. But watching the games, not just the record but how we have looked in many of the games, doesn't reflect well on his ability to put a solid team on the field each Sunday at this point.

What we all want- and what Freddie really needs to show- is an upward trend as the season finishes. A good record is always welcome. But even more importantly, in this his rookie year, is for the team he HCs to close out looking like the classic "well-oiled machine" that is being well-coached. Perhaps Myle's helmet swing a few weeks ago was also a cold slap of reality for Freddie as well.