10 on Thurs - substitute

10 on Thurs - substitute

• 1. Great game by the D- Burnett played with a chip on his shoulder- Mack Wilson made some plays- Ogunjobi up the middle- Garrett was a monster- ‘TIL the end- too much of a monster- he was provoked by Rudolph - although that gets lost apparently. And with the game in hand and the clock expiring... come on man!

2. Mayfield played a smart game. Threw the ball well. Threw it away at times. Only took one sack I think. Spread the ball around.

3. Hunt looked awesome again. Glad to have him in all facets of the offense. Would love to see him more in the fullback role blocking for Chubb, although looks like they put Brown in that role albeit a little late. Why go away from something that worked so well last week? Et tu, Freddie?

4. Some of those calls that gifted the stools their only td were pretty ticky tacky- just sayin- particularly the PI on Greedy, IMO- although Aikman called it an easy call..

5. Play calls still coming in a little late- had to burn at least one TO with the play clock expiring.

6. I guess Beckham couldn’t see that ball in the end zone on his back shoulder? Zero effort. Prima Donna needs to step it up.

7. Siebert’s bad misses on 2 fg’s didn’t matter, this time.

8. Cold night game with a lot of injuries on both sides... hopefully our boys will be ok. ***** the stools.

9. Three ejections for our Brownies- people been sayin we need to man up against the stools forever- be careful what you ask for... I like it that we kicked those mfers in the teeth and will accept any repercussions, personally. Been a long time comin.

10. 4-6. Could really use a Houston win on Sunday. Gonna be tough to catch the Rats, but ya never know. Lamar could get snapped in 2 at any time- not wishin- just sayin. Regardless, they could lose 3 out of their next 4 vs Houston, Rams, 49ers, and Bills. Things could be interesting week 16 in Cleveland...

$.02

• Discussion
  • dawgmusic said... (original post) 1. Great game by the D- Burnett played with a chip on his shoulder- Mack Wilson made some plays- Ogunjobi up the middle- Garrett was a monster- ‘...

First half looked the Morgan Burnett revenge game. He was playing out of his mind. The Defensive line controlled the vaunted Steeler O-line. Stuck a foot up their ****. Loved running the ball down their throat to kill the clock at the end of the game, like they've done to us for years.

Too many stalled drives, should have won by 28. Missed a bunch of turnovers too.

Defense won the game. Hats off the Wilks for being aggressive and dailing up the blitzes against Rudolph that he left out of the Denver game.

Randall doesn't deserve a suspension. That was a full speed hit.

I noticed Watt being chippy at least twice after the whistle with one of our guys on the ground.

Had to laugh at OBJ and Landry giving Tomlin the yawn sign after their TD's for his reaction to the Browns' signing Beckham. Yeah, f"""k you Tomlin.

NFL Network is defending Garrett a bit. James Jones opined that Garrett should lose the season, and McGinnest pointed out that Rudolph started it and didn't back off when his helmet was gone by running into the scrum. Garrett wouldn't comment on what Rudolph did. Rudolph was playing the innocent victim in the presser. What a puss. James Jones pointing out it's more than just Garrett going insane. Pouncey kicking Garrett in the head while he was down.

I'm torn on this. I can't forget the hits that Steelers knocked out Massaquoi and McCoy. They f"""ked us over physically for years. It really took the shine off the win, and hurt the team by getting suspended. But damn, they had some payback coming. Just not quite that much.

This post was edited by Gameface64 2 months ago

• Great job by the defense but they were lucky there was no Ben, Conner, or JuJu. Without those three the Steelers didn't have much offense. Finally we got some turnovers by the defense. Give Wilks credit for a great game plan and the players for executing it. Conner left early and apparently wasn't 100% to start with. JuJu got crunched and left with a concussion.

The offense was just good enough. It was great to see some new guys step up with Callaway released and Higgins apparently in the doghouse despite the game winning catch. Hodge made a huge catch and Carlson, fresh off the practice squad, made an impressive TD catch on 3rd down. I think that was the first catch of his career and what a time for it.

Joe Schobert was awesome with the two picks, a sack, and a pass breakup or two. I agree with the commentator who said he should be named the defensive player of the week before the even play the Sunday games.

Chubb was a stud as usual, gaining over 90 very tough yards and becoming the only back besides Jim Brown in franchise history to rush for 1,000 yards in 10 games.

Did we really score three times from the red zone? Wow, anything's possible now.

I didn't know that Pharoah Brown and Seals-Jones were off the injured list. The Browns used a lot of two-tight end formations with Callaway gone and Higgins not in the game plan. Possibly the idea was to give Baker more protection.

I'll never understand why defensive backs are coached NOT to look back for the ball on fly patterns. So many times the ball is slightly underthrown and the receiver has to slow down causing the defensive back to run into him and get called for interference. The Steelers got their TD on a long pass that Greedy could have easily intercepted if he just turned around, but he kept his back to the QB and run right into the receiver. I've been watching defensive backs do this for years. Drives me nuts.

Great win that turned into a loss, as usual. Garrett will be suspended for multiple games. The rematch against the Steelers in Pittsburgh will be nasty. I won't be surprised to see attempts to injure Baker or the Browns' wide receivers as payback to shot Randall took at their WR and the Garrett helmet swing. Obviously the Steelers will be hell bent on winning the game and getting some revenge.

Garrett is an idiot. With 17 seconds left, up by two TD's, and the Steelers 85 yards from the end zone, why even rush the passer? Just play back, let him complete a throw and make the tackle. But no, Garrett wants to lead the NFL in sacks so he was going for one more, meaningless though it would have been. As a result he ended up throwing Rudolph down after he released the ball. Rudolph, clearly frustrated by the loss and the four interceptions, lost his temper and tried to pry Garrett's helmet off and almost succeeded. Garrett lost it and went after Rudolph's helmet in response. Unfortunately he was able to get it. Too bad the Steelers' lineman who was pulling Garrett off Rudolph couldn't have got him off before Garrett got the helmet. There would not have even been a flag.

I'm positive the Steelers will win the rematch. I should be ecstatic about this rare win over Pittsburgh but I'm just not, not after how it ended.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Great job by the defense but they were lucky there was no Ben, Conner, or JuJu. Without those three the Steelers didn't have much offense. ...

SD:

I dunno ,Ogun shovin that mouthy Beeyatch to the ground ,showed team bondin

In for a penny in for a pound.

Rudolph is lucky is head didn't come off with the helmet ,if he did or said somethin so bad it made Garrett attack him.

It should look good next to a Turkey Jones ,spiking Bradshaw on his head .

We took their heart today .

We will go in and rip up the rest of them in the re-match.

>>>

SoulDawg

• Proud to root for this team last night. Strong performance by the defense. Only the division games count to me, and Browns are 2-0. I still cannot put my finger on the offense, lots of theories. One thing I do know, whatever they are trying to do isn't looking very good or efficient. Had a chance to kick a field goal at the end of the game and didn't pull the trigger. Might have made the special teams feel better.

• I am really torn here. I loved that we were laying the wood to their asses, and hurting them as they have done to others for years. I loved Myles fighting (wish he had more help before the helmet thing) with the stooges. However, the helmet swing was uncalled for. Wish he would have dropped that and then went off swinging and kicking. Probably be suspended 4 games now. F the sheep shaggers though

This post was edited by glousterbrown 2 months ago

• Burnett and Schobert played their best games of the season.

Chubb gets over a thousand yards on the season - in ten games and leads the NFL for the moment.

The offense continues to look slugish and misses much of what we saw last year. Mayfield is completing just over 1/2 of his passes and the plays continue to come in late. Very little motion to identify the defensive set. These are 2 things hinder Mayfield.

Baker was at his best last year completing passes to multiple players and at least to me, looks like they are still trying to force the ball to OBJ.

OBJ and Baker are not on the same page. I don't know if Odell is not running the right route or what the issue is.

All said, the Browns have won 2 in a row and have beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

• Yes, the 't plays coming into the huddle in a timely fashion. I thought the radio would improve that situation. Freddy is the focal point, either he can't think of a play fast enough, or he knows the play but refuses to call it into the huddle, or maybe its all on purpose, you know to deceive the other team. Hey if the Browns don't know what to run, the opposing defense can't prepare for it.

• Nice rundown by the substitute teacher....Vaark would be proud.

The defense finally stepped up and played with some heart and passion....albeit against a shorthanded team that got more shorthanded after we laid out a couple of their WRs early on. If they had played like that against the Broncos, we'd be 5-5 right now and actually in the playoff hunt.

The offense was pedestrian and left way too many points on the field....but, they made some big plays when we needed them and the opening drive was big in setting the tone. No turnovers and only one sack....five below what big mouth Bush had predicted.

And just when we thought we had the kicking game settled...up jumps the devil. Those were two of the worst kicks I've seen in a long time....both dead shanks. I'm starting to wonder if Siebert's effective range is inside 40.....back to holding your breath when our designated midget trots on the field.

The Myles suspension is gonna hurt....hopefully, Pouncey gets a few games off too. I don't see how they can let the instigator Rudolph get off scott free.....but, they'll probably just fine him and let him walk.

• ranierdawg said... (original post) Burnett and Schobert played their best games of the season. Chubb gets over a thousand yards on the season - in ten games and leads the NFL for ...

The offense got 21 points against an outstanding defense and it was enough. I would have liked to see more points considering the four interceptions, but on a cold, windy night when both field goal kickers missed makable kicks, three TD's was more than enough. They could have scored 27 if Siebert makes those kicks, but the 50-yarder was into the wind and too short even if it was on line.

I noticed how in his post-game remarks Freddie slipped in the comment that the Browns beat the Steelers and Ravens in the same season for the first time ever. He's lobbying for another year. He gave himself a chance last night, but I don't think he closed the deal. The defense was outstanding with four picks, four sacks, and allowing only 58 yards rushing. The Steelers averaged only 3.7 yards per play. But some of that was due to the early departures of Shuster-Smith and Conner, along with having to play with an inexperienced backup at QB.

The offense struggled, but Baker came up with a few big throws - the 42-yard post route to OBJ that set up the first TD, the perfect long strike to Hodge after Baker dodged an unblocked rusher that set up the second TD, and the laser to Carlson that iced it. I thought that was a dumb throw because he drilled it into a tight window and it could have easily been picked when a field goal would have made it 17-7. But Baker took a shot and Carlson made a hell of a catch.

It was tough sledding as the Steelers played great run defense, holding Chubb and Hunt to 3.2 yards per carry. They also got consistent early pressure on Baker when he tried to throw. Overall I thought Baker played pretty well, given the caliber of the defense. One sack, no turnovers, and he made three big plays that set up 21 points.

Hunt had 12 touches for 58 yards. The Steelers did a nice job containing him and Chubb as neither were able to bust a big play other than a 20-yard reception by Hunt.

Joe Schobert had the best game of his career with 10 tackles (two for loss) 1 sack, 2 interceptions, and 4 passes defensed. Incredible numbers; he was all over the field. I've been seeing so many dropped interceptions this year (including one by Ward last night) that it was great to see a linebacker catching the ball like a wide receiver. Mack Wilson seems to be coming on after eight games and Takitaki is now in the rotation.

I have a feeling Morgan Burnett is done for the year since they said it was an Achilles. We're getting very thin at safety. Whitehead was released and Murrey is injured. This could be a problem, but at least we have 10 days until the next game.

We still have the Ravens and Steelers to play, with the Steelers game on the road with no Garrett. Who knows if Shuster-Smith, Conner, or Johnson will be able to play against the Browns. I figure they lose those games and end up 8-8 while going 4-2 in the division. That might just be enough to buy Freddie another year if they finish strong.

• So, do you think the Steelers will be egging on the Browns in the next game? You know trying to trip the fuse?

• westsidewahoo said... (original post) So, do you think the Steelers will be egging on the Browns in the next game? You know trying to trip the fuse?

No doubt, but the loosest cannon won't be on the field.

I read the Steelers didn't feel the hits that knocked their two WR's out of the game were dirty. If they have a beef with anybody it's Garrett and he won't be playing. They'll need the win to stay viable for a wild card spot so I expect their focus will be winning the game. Tomlin will tell them to put any personal vendettas aside, not that there should be any.

Same for the Browns. If they don't stumble against the Dolphins they wil be 5-6 going in. A win would keep their playoff chances in order. Both teams will be focused on business, knowing the refs will be quick with the ejections if things start getting chippy.

• Browns looked like Burfict’s Bengals last night.

• I think Garrett is looking at a 16 game suspension. I think the league position will be...you used a helmet on an unhelmeted player. That's a crime. One year suspension automatic. No nuance will be allowed for who started what. Those fines and whatever will be levied in isolation to what Garret did.

Garret will have to enter anger management therapy and approach the league for early reinstatement after game 4 next year.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Tomlin will tell them to put any personal vendettas aside, not that there should be any. Same for the Browns. If they don't stumble against ...

This is so naive... Tomlin isn't going to go after players? The guy has made a career out of allowing this sort of stuff. They will be trying to hurt Baker or Chubb. Mark my words. If they do it I expect the entire team to do exactly what Myles did. They are not going to go down without a fight. I still think that the broken leg on our center was intentional and i am positive Carson Palmer was intentional and we all saw James Harrison's antics. Honestly I was proud of Myles putting those punks in their place.

• mythrand said... (original post) This is so naive... Tomlin isn't going to go after players? The guy has made a career out of allowing this sort of stuff. They will be trying ...

The Browns brutalized the Steelers. Put out their star receiver and dominated their supposedly very good ol. They made Minkah look bad.

I think Rudolf keeps blabbering and the Browns go into that game pissed off. The Steelers will try stuff, but the refs will be watching like Hawks and jump on them.

When all is said and done, Rudolf was unharmed. Didn't miss a snap. Looked like a wanker ******, too.

• westsidewahoo said... (original post) Yes, the 't plays coming into the huddle in a timely fashion. I thought the radio would improve that situation. Freddy is the focal poin...

I thought the plays were getting in earlier last night, but maybe what I noticed was not the usual. I did see a number of plays where Mayfield had time to move guys around to adjust to the defensive look, make blocking adjustments or audible. He looked comfortable, and was getting the snap off with 3 or 4 seconds to spare.

• Gary Reents said... (original post) The Browns brutalized the Steelers. Put out their star receiver and dominated their supposedly very good ol. They made Minkah look bad.I think ...

100% agree on Rudolph looking like a bitchass. His press conference was lame.

They're saying his hand was stuck in Garrett's facemask. But sure looked like he was pulling hard on the back of Garrett's helmet. I do give the Yinzers' credit for not piggybacking the hits on Shuster and the other WR with the brawl.

• Game I watched that carefully last night and the biggest problem was 1st down. Every-time they made a 1st down especially in the 3rd QTR the next first down play was late getting in. EVERY time on one drive (it was the one that they had to take a time out on). 3 of those 1st downs we didn't have time to set and move people.

• Thanks Myth. I wonder if NFL Network will replay the game this week. If they do, I'll watch more closely. Like I said though, I did see a number of plays where Mayfield had a comfortable amount of time. So they got it right at least a few times.

• Gary Reents said... (original post) The Browns brutalized the Steelers. Put out their star receiver and dominated their supposedly very good ol. They made Minkah look bad.I think ...

Most physical Browns team since the Mangini era, maybe Butch, maybe Marty. But undisciplined. Shurmur gets mocked rightly around here BUT one thing he did in 2011 was he helped the Steelers lose to Tebow the following week. How so? Our Browns lost a close one at home in the 2011 finale, 13-9, but we put the hurting on Ben and others and did *enough* to slow them up for the following week at Mile High.

A part of me *almost* says the suspension is worth it, not because Garrett was wrong for doing that (he was!) but for setting the tone for the organization. They won't take crap from anyone.

But in the future they will just have to be careful and pick their spots.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 2 months ago

• Pluto had this observation, which has been overlooked in all the Garrett-Rudolph conversation:

"The Browns offensive line allowed one sack. Mayfield was hit only twice. No offensive linemen had any penalties. No holding. No false starts. No personal fouls."

Partially as a result, the Browns committed no turnovers against the team that is second in the league in takeaways. I never thought I would see a game this season where the Browns offensive line was not penalized and allowed only one sack. Mayfield got flushed a few times but overall the offensive line had their best game of the year, stepping up big time.

The Browns were also 3-for-3 in the red zone, where they've been among the worst this year. Also, the tackling was much improved. I didn't notice a single missed tackle, and certainly not one that resulted in a chunk play by the opponent.

I agree the Browns played physical, and not just the two helmet hits on their wide receivers, neither of which appeared to be intentional. But the reason they won was they had no turnovers while forcing four picks by Rudolph and they made big plays on offense like the catches by OBJ and Carlson while minimizing penalties. Finally, the coach didn't screw anything up. The playcalling seemed to be OK and there were no WTF moments.

If the offensive line can continue to protect Baker like they did Thursday while avoiding penalties, this offense will explode. With Hunt and Chubb we have a 1-2 punch at running back that no one can match. Njoku is eligible to play against Miami, adding another weapon. Even though the loss of Garrett will hurt the defense, he only had one tackle and no sacks against Pittsburgh. The defense seems to be coming together as a team. We're still in this.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Pluto had this observation, which has been overlooked in all the Garrett-Rudolph conversation:"The Browns offensive line allowed one sack. ...

Stats don't tell the whole story Pros. Garrett's presence will be greatly missed. But I'm more worried about the backend. Our safety situation is for crap.

I think it's time for Dorsey to put in a call to Eric Berry before some other team does. Surely he's got 6 games plus left in him. We could use a ball hawk now that the pass rush will be diminished.