5-11

5-11

• Lack of discipline and turnovers.
    Time to rebuild this.
    And another good draft.

• Discussion
  • Will this have been our most talented 3 to 5 win team?

• This isn't talent this is Coaching.... all Coaching.

Challenging a offensive Pass Interference play....

Taking a penalty on 4th and 11 by sending your punt team back out there so you don't have to take a timeout and make it 4th and 16 vs the top defense in the league.... Pure Genius

Details... blowing TO's, getting plays in on time, messed up substitutions

Player discipline comes from the coaching staff by being disciplined and detailed in practice...

I would fire Freddie today

If anyone told you chubb would run for 100+ on the Pats and lose by 3 scores what kind of odds would you give them

This post was edited by mythrand 2 months ago

• Freddie doesn't drop passes or fumble.

Freddie doesn't commit boneheaded penalties over and over.

The players know they cannot make dumb penalties and drop passes over and over again. They bear the brunt of the responsibility.

Ward drops a pick in the EZ. Is that on Freddie?

OBJ drops a crucial 3rd down pass is that on Freddie?

Etc.

• Yes it is because they know there are zero repercussions if they do not execute. Discipline starts at the top. Hold yourself and everyone else accountable. False start... no repercussions. Offsides no repercussions. You have to hold people accountable if you don't then you get a lot of sloppy mistakes. If people under me at work make mistakes i go over it with them and tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it. They do the same thing I give them a warning and tell them what i plan to do next time. If they do it again I actually do what i say. I suspect Freddie talks but never follows through.

• SeattleBrowns said... (original post) Will this have been our most talented 3 to 5 win team?

2010 and 2012 had 7-win potential. I am sorry if I am too negative but they are just very sloppy. That is not emotion speaking either.
  • So what is Freddie suppose to do Myth, bench OBJ? Chubb? He already benched GR.

The game was lost on 3 consecutive offensive plays. Fumble, fumble, interception. Otherwise the Browns out scored the Pats the rest of the game, 13-10.

Don't just pop off, tell us who YOU would bench?

• Its too damn late now. This stuff has to be set in training camp. How efficient they are in running drills, are meetings quick and too the point. Do you set the tone in practice and follow the steps i mentioned during training camp. What are they doing every minute you got them to get better? Are they wasting time in the locker room? Are you disciplining them consistently and fairly?

I don't care about stuff like what happened on those turnovers. A fluke kick on Chubbs arm, a great play by a defender and just a bad play call by Freddie for the three turnovers. No what gets me is the false starts, the having 10 men on the field on D and having to waste a TO. The fubar'd take a penalty with the punt team to save a TO BS. Turnovers are going to happen but the jumping and offsides etc are just bad discipline and that is coaching.

• Right, in other words all complaint and no cure. Got it.

• Whatever Poppa you got nothing... Seen the same ***** every game. Penalties, lack of discipline la di da... yet you won't even consider that this guy is in over his head. Kitchens was a typical Brown BS hire 100x worse than Chud who did more with what this guy was given.

• mythrand said... (original post) Yes it is because they know there are zero repercussions if they do not execute. Discipline starts at the top. Hold yourself and everyone else acc...

You gonna bench Bitonio for causeing two fumbles? The OL takes turns making false starts. Players need to get it together.

• 5-11. Nope. We're about to rip off a winning streak. Just stand by.

• Actually, I think this game saw a number of glimmers of the team that could be. Going down like they did 17-0 and getting embarrassed, hell, they couldve packed it in, but they came back fighting. Closed it to 17-10 and then what I think was the turning point, a 60 yard screen pass on 3rd and 10 in the mid 3rd quarter.
    Of course there was an illegal block in the back call that was missed. But the score then went to 24-10 and all themomentum that the Browns had gained back, was lost.
    Ball game.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) 5-11. Nope. We're about to rip off a winning streak. Just stand by.

Hope you are right Game!

I honestly would not feel bad at 2-5, IF:

1) SF game is closer and we play crisper. We go into the half down 14-10 and lose say, 31-21, it's a totally different narrative ("CLE gives SF a fight in the Bay").

2) TEN game we play better and don't get Robinson ejected. It was 15-13 before the roof caved in.

3) Pats beat us, but we are in it with a minute left. Narrative changes nationally if we lose 30-24 or 31-27.

Yes, 2-5 would be 2-5, but fans and media would at least feel more confident in that the team is losing just due to less talent than the elite teams, rather than sloppiness, lack of discipline, attention to detail and paying too much attention to their press clippings.

I actually felt it was going to be worse (34-17) but the D showed some good things today.

I'd love to get this thing going and get to 5-5 after the first Steelers game, then go from there.

@Denver W

Buffalo W

Pittsburgh W

Miami W

@PIttsburgh L

6-6 (?)

• yogi8 said... (original post) Actually, I think this game saw a number of glimmers of the team that could be. Going down like they did 17-0 and getting embarrassed, hell, they cou...

It does seem like the Pats are just operating on another level, like the '80 Russian hockey team.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) The game was lost on 3 consecutive offensive plays. Fumble, fumble, interception. Otherwise the Browns out scored the Pats the rest of the game, ...

I would include a fourth play - the 59-yard screen pass. That was a back breaker, just like the long screen pass for a TD against the Titans.

But most games are like that - they're decided by three or four key plays and the other 130 plays are a wash.

Bitonio was a half step too slow to block the lineman on the intercepted shuttle pass. On the first Chubb fumble Bitonio pulled out and was about to pancake the defender and he just fell on the ground to avoid a big hit. Bitonio's momentum carried him over the defender, flipping his legs up in the air where one of his feet hit the ball. It was a one in a million shot. In all the decades I've watched football I've never seen a play like that where a fumble was caused by a linemen getting upended and kicking the ball out of his teammate's grasp.

Of course it bounced right to a defender for an easy six points. On a rainy day on the road against the best team in the league you can't have that happen. It seems like every bounce this season goes against the Browns.

However, once the Pats got ahead 17-0 they dialed back the offense to try and run the clock and avoid turnovers. If the game had been closer they would have been more aggressive and scored more points. After each of the Browns first two scores the Pats came right back with a long scoring drive. They could have scored as many as they needed to win.

Mayfield wasn't that bad, IMO. He threw one ball that should have been picked and a couple of others that were too high to be caught and another that was underthrown and hit the safety on the helmet. He also got sacked five times, but those were only partially his fault. OBJ dropped a big pass. But he completed 20 passes, including a TD, on a team that only allowed one TD pass so far.

The offensive line is blocking well on running plays but the pass blocking is very shaky. Of course, the Pats are the best pass rushing team in the league so you can't take too much from this game. Against Seattle Baker wasn't sacked at all.

The pre-snap penalties are incredibly frustrating along with the dumb hands-to-the-face and offensive pass interference penalties. But the Pats have easily the best coverage unit in the league and the Browns' receivers were not able to get separation without pushing off or setting an illegal pick.

At this point I'm not confident this team will ever look like a well-coached, disciplined, professional team, at least not this season.

• Pretty sure browns were leading the league in penalties at some point last season. Dumb players get you beat and the browns have a lot of them. There’s a lot of blame to go around. But even if the browns dont turn the ball over the patriots would of found other ways to beat us. Im not mad at the browns for losing this game. But it is disappointing we havent been able to beat any play off teams beside baltimore. 7-9 looks good at this point.

• oasis05 said... (original post) Pretty sure browns were leading the league in penalties at some point last season. Dumb players get you beat and the browns have a lot of them. The...

At this point, 7-9 would be a miracle. (5-4 to finish the season).

I feel cheated.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) . The pre-snap penalties are incredibly frustrating along with the dumb hands-to-the-face and offensive pass interference penalties.

The false starts I blame on the players. Nobody coaches how to remember the snap count. This is the most basic of football skills, you just have to keep it in your mind from the huddle to the line. If you start benching guys for making this mistake, you'd have to replace almost the whole line.

OPI, that's something that can be coached and practiced. There's an art to setting a legal pick, Adam Henry needs to get these guys on line.

Speaking of WRs, man I liked the one handed catch Higgins made.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) At this point, 7-9 would be a miracle. (5-4 to finish the season).I feel cheated.

Dude, the schedule gets softer than your best pillow and we Kareem Hunt back next week. Higgins is healthy. Chubb's a monster. I really thought OBJ would come out this year burning to be the top WR in the league. I see effort and desire from him, but his hands aren't all that for some reason. Definitely not vibing with Mayfield yet. Got work to do, but we've got some get well games coming.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Dude, the schedule gets softer than your best pillow and we Kareem Hunt back next week. Higgins is healthy. Chubb's a monster. I really tho...

I will say if Mayfield becomes a baller my attitude will change immediately. And if he becomes an alpha and gets everyone on the same page we may see a different team.

There was a picture posted about the Browns' and Patriots' sidelines and how they contrasted. I'll have to find it. I hope FK and BM6 post it in the locker room and tell them how the media is making fun of them.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) The false starts I blame on the players. Nobody coaches how to remember the snap count. This is the most basic of football skills, you just have ...

The pick route shouldn't have been challenged--it was a legal, fair call against us. Freddie wasted that challenge and that bit him. The Pats had an incomplete pass the Browns couldn't challenge later on because they were out of challenges.

That's concerning me about Freddie.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 2 months ago

• mythrand said... (original post) Its too damn late now. This stuff has to be set in training camp. How efficient they are in running drills, are meetings quick and too the point. ...

You had me at "This stuff has to be set in training camp." +1,000,000, thank you for posting this. Almost cathartic.

• Browns finished 2018 season with 7-8-1 record.

If you add the last half of 2018 + the first half of 2019 together the Browns record is 7-8.

That is symmetry boys, symmetry. And the entire defensive philosophy was changed (for the better) at the same time.

Now, if the Browns finish 2019 season with more than 7 wins (5 or more left) ....... then they will be improved, correct?

Hunt, Greedy, Ward, Higgins, Wilson ---> these guys should/could all contribute more in the second half of 2019 than they did in the first half of 2019.

There is a gleem men, there is a gleem.

This post was edited by westsidewahoo 2 months ago

• westsidewahoo said... (original post) Browns finished 2018 season with 7-8-1 record.If you add the last half of 2018 + the first half of 2019 together the Browns record is 7-8.Tha...

If they finish 8-8, considering a 2-5 start, that will at least show improvement. I don't expect playoffs this year, but 8-8 will save Freddie. 6-10 or 5-11 won't.