Browns make yet another rookie QB star

Browns make yet another rookie QB star

• What is it with this team , different coaches different front offices even different ownership and one dumb azz constant , we take anybodies

backup QB and make him a star .

Too bad their rookie played more fundamentally sound football than us.

Randalls backfield range was missed , far too many times our safeties lost track of the ball , need a top Dawg there as much as OT and linebacker.

I like the kid from tOSU over Delphit , much tougher fierce tackler and solid fundamentally.

Browns defense didn't make stops in critical spots , they allowed huge third down conversions from third and longs because the Browns didn't play with either heart or smarts.

Offensively ,Harris dropping that Touchdown was a killa dilla.

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Discussion
  • Turning the ball over right before halftime is what killed this team.

Harris --- I have seen enough, he looks like a basketball player in pads, and can't block. Carlson is better tight end.

If the Browns don't turn the ball over today, they win. They turned it over and lost. One of the best running back tandems, QB trying to thread needles with bad hand. I have a hard time believing what I saw.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) What is it with this team , different coaches different front offices even different ownership and one dumb azz constant , we take anybodies bac...

This shytte was so easily predictable I didn't even watch. Just so tired of the frustration.

• Moving the ball against the Steelers D at home was always gonna be a problem....letting their offense, as short handed as it was, put 20 points on the board against us is ridiculous.

Our D plays with no heart and no emotion....bunch of candyasses. Got em pinned on their one yard line....desperately needing a 3 and out....and we let em dig it out to midfield while eating up most of the clock and all of our timeouts.

I think it's time to dispense with the mantra that we have two great cover corners.....Ward has regressed and I think we're seeing why Greedy slipped to the middle of the 2nd round....made a star out of James Washington.

Another December with nothing to play for.....wait til next year....again.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) This shytte was so easily predictable I didn't even watch. Just so tired of the frustration.

SD:

Well your gonna have to wear your big boy pants and toughen up buttercup .

You really can't credibly comment from the head in the sand view of the game.

Dorsey tried to turn these boys into men and make a run sooner than their mental and physical makeup allowed, the lack of team espri de corp one for all all for one complimentary play that Gregg developed in key part to last years run , never developed under Freddie and the let the boys be boys nonsense he espoused has turned on him and gobbled him up.

Instead of the game plan which spurned this mini run we resumed to the one we used when losing.

Long balls to double covered X receivers instead of the short misdirection everybody is a target offense.

Your Bouyee pulled a Jason Garret today ,climbed back up on the burner and turned on the stove.

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• The better team won. As I feared, the Steeler defensive line dominated the Browns' offensive line, holding the offense to 13 points. The key was after the Mitchell interception the Browns had the ball on the Steeler 30-yard-line trailing by a TD. However, they threw two incomplete passes and gave up a sack as the pocket collapsed on Baker every time.

The only chance for a win was the defense stuffing the run and confusing the rookie QB into throwaways and picks. Didn't happen. The Duck was more than up to the task, throwing only one pick as opposed to four by Rudolph. If Hodges had taken over for Ben at the beginning we would not have won the first game. We got a break when Tomlin went with the wrong guy.

I had a feeling Hodges would have a big game. He threw for over 14,000 yards in college. The offensive line gave him a lot of clean pockets and he took advantage with accurate throws downfield that their receivers came down with as our DB's kept their backs to the QB at all costs.

I am so sick of watching our defensive backs play the man instead of the ball on long passes. So many times they are in position to get a pick or at least a breakup if they just turn around and play the ball. But they keep their back to the ball and stare at the receiver as he makes the catch, or reach in too early and get called for interference. Carrie could have easily intercepted the long TD to Washington if he just looked up and saw where the ball was. Instead he reached out and grabbed at Washington before the ball arrived, then overran the play and gave up the catch. I've been frustrated by this for years, but nothing changes.

The receiver is looking back and seeing the ball; the defender is staring at the receiver. Which one is going to catch the ball? Duh.

Vernon returned but didn't make an impact. He appeared not to be 100%.

I wish the Browns would throw to their TE's more. TE's are huge, they catch the ball, and they get YAC. Carlson had a big catch-and-run and then ripped the ball away from the DB on his other target. Harris had a big gain down the middle and almost had a TD on the next play but the throw was high.

Another quiet day for Beckham. I hoped this would be the game where the unstoppable receiver we saw the last 4-5 years finally emerged. Nope. I'm starting to wonder if the 390 catches in five years has taken its' toll on his body. He was hurt all summer and hardly did anything at TC.

Obviously we can't go into next season with McCray and Hubbard at the tackles. Not an option.

I was impressed with Kareem Hunt's rushing ability. He's not just a pass receiver and lead blocker. With just an average OL this offense would be unstoppable.

No playoffs, but this team doesn't deserve to go. Too many holes and not enough veteran depth. Maybe with Garrett, Robinson, and Randall they had a shot, but who knows.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago

• TheDutchman said... (original post) Moving the ball against the Steelers D at home was always gonna be a problem....letting their offense, as short handed as it was, put 20 points ...

They are being taught differently this year. Last year you saw ward turn every time and make a play on the ball. This year they look like college DB's where they play the reciever and never turn back to the ball. I have seen this all season long and Greedy may be the laziest DB i have ever seen. There are plays where he just takes it completely off.

Redwine is HORRIBLE.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Well your gonna have to wear your big boy pants and toughen up buttercup .You really can't credibly comment from the head in the sand vi...

"Dorsey tried to turn these boys into men and make a run sooner than their mental and physical makeup allowed, the lack of team espri de corp one for all all for one complimentary play that Gregg developed in key part to last years run , never developed under Freddie and the let the boys be boys nonsense he espoused has turned on him and gobbled him up.
    Instead of the game plan which spurned this mini run we resumed to the one we used when losing."

-- That sounds like something you might put on their headstones if you planned to bury them. I wonder what's going through Jim Bob's mind right now. For Dorsey and Kitchen's sakes, I hope the team doesn't finish the season on a downward trend.

• mythrand said... (original post) They are being taught differently this year. Last year you saw ward turn every time and make a play on the ball. This year they look like college ...

I just wonder when they are going to sit down, look at the film, and admit that ignoring the ball and playing the receiver isn't working. Redwine broke up one long pass by knocking the ball out of the receiver's hands, but it took perfect timing. Every other deep pass that was catchable was caught.

• Looked to me like Denver v2.

An underachieving bunch of bums

• The 2019 Cleveland Browns are a disappointment and embarrassment once more. And obviously we're not even close to being as good as we thought we were.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Well your gonna have to wear your big boy pants and toughen up buttercup .You really can't credibly comment from the head in the sand vi...

Just more nonsense from a know nothing. I don't need to watch to know what coming. I've been telling you all year this is not the team you all thought they were, and here we are.

And of course here you are with all the other knuckleheads crying for yet another coaching change. And then of course you'll be back again next year crying once again when they fail to meet YOUR expectations. Lather, rinse, repeat. Somewhere along the line you have to plan a flag in the ground and say "No More".

No More mob mentality. No more lack of patience. No more ridiculous expectations for a team not ready. No more constant change b/c the local fools are frustrated.

Feel free to place yourself anywhere among those groups.

But I'll say this, if they do change the HC, they need to change the GM too. Not only is this Dorsey's mess, if he stays all we're going to get is Freddie 2.0.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Just more nonsense from a know nothing. I don't need to watch to know what coming. I've been telling you all year this is not the team ...

SD:

Team culture is at issue .

I'm not blaming all this on Freddy as you mistakenly postulate .

I am making you severely aware that Freddy seriously hampered his argument as to his return as HC

With the volatility of this ownership and the track record with coaches that is not tobe taken lightly for fans of Freddy .

First time HC's are gonna make there share of mistakes ,

However , too much of a shortfall as to whats expected ,and ownership will reach the point of diminishing returns and weather the bumps of more change instead of weathering the storm.

Todays loss was a big step back for Freddie and a severe setback on the balance of this season .

The math says we're out even if we're not mathematically eliminated .

Nobody in the organization or this fan base including yourself expected such an ugly end this soon .

Dorsey didn't go all in for these results ,nor did management .

It is what it is , the Record isn't anywhere near the talent of the roster , which then falls to the coaching .

>>>>>>

SoulDawg

• DUTCH:

Another December with nothing to play for.....wait til next year....again.

AA:

At 1pm, we rejoiced that it was December, and we were playing Pittsburgh in a game that really mattered!

Well, at least we got about 16 hours into December for that to hold true.

Talk about baby steps!

0 0

• Vaark said... (original post) DUTCH:Another December with nothing to play for.....wait til next year....again.AA:At 1pm, we rejoiced that it was December, and we were playing Pitt...

I guess we gotta take whatever solace we can find.....the NFL, in their infinite wisdom, dicked us out of another 3 hours of relevance by flexing us out of the 4:00 game so they could show the Chiefs kicking the ***** out of the Raiders.

No respect I tell ya.

• TheDutchman said... (original post) Moving the ball against the Steelers D at home was always gonna be a problem....letting their offense, as short handed as it was, put 20 points ...

The OL is Bud Carson-esque, or worse, maybe even Palmer-esque.

Dorsey = Accorsi.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Just more nonsense from a know nothing. I don't need to watch to know what coming. I've been telling you all year this is not the team ...

This team needs an ownership change, an FO change, and I'm starting to think a coaching change.

Total revamp.

• They just need two decent offensive tackles, a decent RG, a starting caliber DT, and an impact safety. Somebody like E-Rock, Polamalu, or Ed Reed, or even a slightly lesser version. That and another year of experience for Baker, Greedy, Mack, Carlson, and Chad Thomas. They don't need a total rebuild.

• After Freddie's scripted plays, it looks like he is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. Discombobulated in every game but the Ravens, who are going to wax the in Cleveland. Browns have been outscored 105 (30 of those against the Ravens)-154 in the 2nd half this year. They have outscored their opponent 3 times, been outscored 7 times with 2 ties. Half time adjustments are just a myth though according to some. Also his situational awareness sucks yinzer dong. After that Int ran back into steeler territory they only needed a few yards to be in FG range, 2 passes and a sack later and no chance to cut the lead to one score. Before half after giving up 3 points, needing to eat clock and three straight quick passes to give the inbred plenty of time for the tie and momentum. You would think he would learn after what? At least 3 times this year his **** has been bit before half like that?

Edited to add: Hunt and Chubb had a total of 6 carries in the 2nd half

This post was edited by glousterbrown 1 month ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) They just need two decent offensive tackles, a decent RG, a starting caliber DT, and an impact safety. Somebody like E-Rock, Polamalu, or Ed Ree...

"They just need..."

-- What the Browns need first of all is to be sure they have an off-field power structure that is competent in handling the progression of a franchise that was 1-31 not too long ago. Those occasional flashes that get you excited are all well and good. But how a team manages growth is what matters in the long run. "Woulda coulda shoulda and wait for next year" starts to sound hollow at some point.

How the Rats have handled the transition from a Flacco O to a Jackson O has been done well. I have a feeling the Squeelers will handle their current mini-down-turn as best as possible. Not sure about the Haslam Era Browns.

• glousterbrown said... (original post) After Freddie's scripted plays, it looks like he is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. Discombobulated in every game but ...

Great point about the Browns being outscored 154-105 in the second half. This clearly points to Freddie being outcoached.

As for whether Freddie gets a second chance, all I can say is what's the strongest argument for keeping him around? I can't think of one, other than the fact that they beat Baltimore and Pittsburgh in the same year for the first time STR. But in a 16-game schedule two impressive wins isn't a whole lot when stacked up against the disappointing losses, especially in Denver and Pittsburgh to quarterbacks nobody ever heard of.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Great point about the Browns being outscored 154-105 in the second half. This clearly points to Freddie being outcoached. As for whether Freddie ...

"As for whether Freddie gets a second chance, all I can say is what's the strongest argument for keeping him around? I can't think of one..."

-- I can! He doesn't make Dorsey feel threatened that his control over the team might be lost.

Nah. Just kidding. No way Dorsey's ego went into his decision to make a career position coach his first Cleveland HC. Freddie is Baker's security blanket and he's a tough, no-nonsense, blue collar guy who really knows football and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. And even if he's a bad HC, if he goes all continuity will be lost.

And stuff like that. Did I miss anything...?

• Joe Posnarski makes the case against Freddie.

https://theathletic.com/1426245/2019/12/02/posnanskis-browns-diary-freddie-kitchens-saps-pride-right-out-of-browns/?source=dailyemail

I might add that when you're leading the league in penalties, when one player got suspended for kicking an opponent in the head, another was suspended indefinitely for using a helmet as a weapon against a player not wearing a helmet, when you lose two games to quarterbacks with a combined total of one start and 27 pro pass attempts, when you have a player wearing a $300,000 K watch during the game and then clown shoes next week, when a player gets released for threatening fans on Twitter before even taking off his uniform, when you suspend your starting safety before the biggest game of the year for something he did during the week, when you consistently get off to good starts that you can't maintain....it makes it look like the wheels have come off and the coach doesn't know how to fix it.

All Freddie can say is some variation of, "We will learn from this and we will get better".

As for Freddie's defense, I can think of three things. One, according to powerrankingsguru.com the Browns have played the second toughest schedule in the NFL to date. The NFC West is very strong this year and the Browns lost to the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks. They haven't played the Cardinals yet. Two, Freddie did manage to beat the Steelers and Ravens in the same year, which no Browns coach has accomplished since the old Browns moved to Baltimore. Three, I suppose he could argue that the penalties and turnovers have declined dramatically, but that only points out how unprepared the team was to start the season. Just go back and watch the Titans game where the Browns broke out of the starting gate and ploughed right onto their faces. Freddie did not have this team ready to compete in Week 1, so he can't take much credit for the penalties and turnovers returning to normal levels. They should have been at normal levels to begin with.

Unless the Browns sweep the last four games, including a win over the Ravens which seems all but impossible, I don't think there is much of a case to keep him other than "continuity". If you call a plumber to fix a problem in your house and he makes it even worse, do you call him again because he's familiar with your house and you like continuity?

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago