Defensive End

Defensive End

• Can any knowledgeable roster guys out there comment on what may happen at the position. Couldn't find anyting about this, and it seems to be a concern. Thanks

• Discussion
  • Well Avery could've helped, but we gave him to Philly

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Well Avery could've helped, but we gave him to Philly

SD:

Doesn't fit this system where speed is paramount at linebacker , we Gleaned a 4th rounder in trade as well as picked up a better longer DE prospect vs Avery's more hybrid frame .

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-de-bryan-cox

>>>>

SoulDawg

• WVDawg99 said... (original post) Can any knowledgeable roster guys out there comment on what may happen at the position. Couldn't find anyting about this, and it seems to be ...

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Doesn't fit this system where speed is paramount at linebacker , we Gleaned a 4th rounder in trade as well as picked up a better longer ...

I believe Avery played DE in college and was moved to LB when he entered the league. Wilks was working him at DE this last TC.

Slice it anyway you want, but the kid was a good pass rusher who had 4.5 sacks last year in part time duty.

Brian Cox Jr isn't Brian Cox Sr.

• Ok. I was aware of Cox, but just wondered if there was any other DE's out there we might go after. We also have Porter Gustin on the practice squad, but is he really an option for playing time if needed?

• poppa9601 said... (original post) I believe Avery played DE in college and was moved to LB when he entered the league. Wilks was working him at DE this last TC.Slice it anyway you ...

SD:

No doubt because Pops could play a mean linebacker.

However we have an opening at DE so his skillset fits in this instance even moreso than Avery

who had tweener size and build ideal for a hybrid linebacker in a 34 , not so much as a true dedicated 43 DE.

He brings young fresh legs middle of the season with 17 games of NFL experience unlike a raw rookie UDFA which lends hope he can contribute quickly in some part .

Younger players get better , as a whole this team collectively should be rising in their abilities to go out and compete, if the Garret incident raised their intensity awareness and focus , so much the better .

They finally played good team ball vs the Sucklers we improve on that , we can match anybody left on the schedule including a double on both the Rats and the Inbred.

We win out , we're in ala the wildcard or out right division Champs .

The hardest way and damn near impossible ,

The Browns just won't have it any other way .

>>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Division champs? Maybe.....if Lamar breaks his leg this week. They're 8-2, they'd have to lose 3X and to us to fumble the North crown. We ever been so lucky? I can't imagine that the Rams, Niners and Bills can knock them off week over week.

• One thing I noticed in my 50+ years of watching the game, rarely does the best team in Oct/Nov stay the best team come Dec/Jan now Feb..
    Many years ago, I read a book by Jerry Kramer/ Dick Schaap called "Instant Replay" . it was a day to day diary of the 1967 Packers. Vince Lombardi would build them up to start the season, purposely wear their shine down in the middle of the season, only to build them up again at the end of the season and playoffs. His theory that NO team could hold that edge all season long. It was true then and its still true today.

• yogi8 said... (original post) One thing I noticed in my 50+ years of watching the game, rarely does the best team in Oct/Nov stay the best team come Dec/Jan now Feb..Many years ag...

"His theory that NO team could hold that edge all season long."

True. But some teams' edge is a little sharper than other teams'. Getting "built up" ala the '67 Packers- going from great to good and back to great for the playoffs- isn't the same as going from mediocre to bad and back up to mediocre to end the season. Harbaugh will need to channel his inner Hue Jackson for the Rats to avoid winning the AFC North. And, at the same time, Freddie will need to channel his inner Vince Lombardi to be in the hunt come December. Meanwhile Tomlin- who seems to suddenly be labeled "great HC" by the media in their never-ending quest for brainless attention - doesn't need to channel anyone. Just his tried and true reliance on cheap-shots and good luck, with a bit of talent on the side, may be enough.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Division champs? Maybe.....if Lamar breaks his leg this week. They're 8-2, they'd have to lose 3X and to us to fumble the North crown. ...

SD:

We shut out the Rats the inbred and the puddyCats

We’re division Champs and it forces the Rats to be the wildcard even with a better record No ?

>>>>

SoulDawg

• We run the table and we're 10-6. They're 8-2 right now. They'd have to go 2-4 the last six for a tie. They've got Rams, 49ers, Bills, Jets, us and Steelers. They just beat Seattle, NE, and destroyed Houston. I just can't picture them losing to the Rams and Bills both. God love ya though, you ol' battering ram.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD: We shut out the Rats the inbred and the puddyCatsWe’re division Champs and it forces the Rats to be the wildcard even with a better record N...

Uh No. Going undefeated in the division doesn't trump overall record.

The Rats are going to finish with at least 11 wins, that's enough to win the division regardless of if we sweep.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:No doubt because Pops could play a mean linebacker.However we have an opening at DE so his skillset fits in this instance even moreso than Av...

As Nas said years ago, "The only way out is the only way through."

• ergoipso said... (original post) "His theory that NO team could hold that edge all season long."True. But some teams' edge is a little sharper than other teams'...

I'm all good with Rudolph being the starter with no suspension. I felt Hodges was a better backup for them.

No Pouncey for 3 games is big. They go 1-2 in those games they are 6-7, with another date with BAL looming at the Ravens. Go Bengals and get your first division and season win next week.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Uh No. Going undefeated in the division doesn't trump overall record. The Rats are going to finish with at least 11 wins, that's enough ...

You're right.

The '89 Bengals went 5-1 in the division (!) but finished FOURTH at 8-8. Weird. Underachieved and should have won 11 games that year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1989.htm