Feels like tanking

Feels like tanking

• Why do I feel like we're not trying to win this week? Am I crazy or are we mailing it in this week as an apology to the Rooney family?

LT out with mid week concussion?

FS a "healthy" scratch?

#1 TE practicing for 3 weeks still not ready?

Vernon still out?

The most important game of the year. Whatever happened to " all hands on deck"? Something not right here.

• Discussion
  • Apology for what? We don't owe the Rooneys jackshit.

• Something weird seems to be afoot.....almost like we're tying our left hand behind our back because the Squeelers are short handed. And then Freddie has to go wear a f------ "Pittsburgh Started It" T-shirt out in public a few days before the game....after saying this on Monday....

“I want them to go into this game with one thing and one thing only on their minds, and that’s to do their job,’’ Kitchens said in a conference call on Monday. “And anything that overshadows that in any way is not acceptable and it’s not the best for the team.”

Dumb. Will T-shirt gate have any bearing on who wins the game??....No. But, c'mon man....at least practice what you preach.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Why do I feel like we're not trying to win this week? Am I crazy or are we mailing it in this week as an apology to the Rooney family?LT out ...

This is the stupidest thread I've ever seen. Yes, you're crazy if you think the Browns are deliberately trying to lose this game. You're crazy if you think anybody in the Browns organization thinks we owe the Steelers a win as an apology for what Garrett did.

Robinson really has a concussion. The team doesn't get to decide if he plays or not. It's up to the medical staff. They give him tests to determine whether he's fully recovered. If he still has symptoms, he can't play. It's that simple. The team can't overrule the doctors by saying, "Hey, this is a big game, we need all hands on deck".

If you think he's been medically cleared to play but Haslam has ordered him benched because he's hoping to lose this game, then yes, you're crazy.

Randall is out for a specific reason. Details in Rumor Central. Hint: the reason is not that Haslam has ordered Freddie to "tank".

Njoku may or may not play. More details in ATI. I can't reveal Insider content but if Njoku is not active it won't be because Freddie has been ordered to throw this game. There's another reason. I think part of it is because they rushed Callaway back to action immediately after his suspension was over and he clearly wasn't ready to contribute. He didn't know the plays, ran a route than isn't even in the playbook, and let a touchdown pass bounce off his arms and cause an interception that turned the game around. Freddie may be concerned about something similar with Njoku.

If Vernon doesn't play it's because he's not fully recovered from an injury severe enough to cause him to miss 3-4 games. No other reason.

• I don't think anybody's really concerned about tanking.....I sense some sarcasm and frustration on Poppa's part.....and, it is a little frustrating that we've got some key players that we can't seem to get back on the field....or keep on the field.....for whatever reason.

But, I do hope we're ready for the cauldron we're gonna be walking into in a couple hours....and it's got nothing to do with the Myles - Rudolph melee.

This is a de facto playoff game. The Squeelers won't go quietly into the night....they'll bring everything they've got in the tank (no pun intended).....and then some. I just hope we're ready to do the same.

This won't be a game for the faint of heart.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) This is the stupidest thread I've ever seen. Yes, you're crazy if you think the Browns are deliberately trying to lose this game. You&...

If you finds this thread stupid Pros, I invite you to read any one of those posted by you this past preseason. Or have you forgotten, "NFL coaches fear the Browns"? Talk about stupid, that's was it times 10.

• TheDutchman said... (original post) I don't think anybody's really concerned about tanking.....I sense some sarcasm and frustration on Poppa's part.....and, it is a ...

"This is a de facto playoff game"

That's it exactly Dutch, yet we don't seem to be pulling out all the stops to win it. On top of which the Stealers have been a giant millstone around our necks STR, any chance to beat them in the burgh is huge for the franchise going forward.

And yeah, the way Haslam "begged" forgiveness from the Rooney's and the Stealer organization, while completely ignoring the fact that the entire situation was caused by Rudolph, gives me pause now that we are heading into the rematch while deliberately hindering ourselves. Just strikes me as odd.

If we come home with a win, no one will be happier or more surprised than me. It just seems the outcome has already been predetermined.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Why do I feel like we're not trying to win this week? Am I crazy or are we mailing it in this week as an apology to the Rooney family?LT out ...

SD:

Browns playing a rookie QB is enough to panic anybody !

>>>

SoulDawg

• If we lose this we still have a shot, although tanking to 5-11 would give us a top-10 pick.

Browns are 2 drafts away.

• No...they need a ballhawking safety, an OT...and a stout, run stuffing, athletic defensive lineman and a lot of work in the weight room coupled with film study and removal of a couple more headcases.

All of that can be accomplished via FA, trades and the next draft draft IF they maintain continuity.

• As down on them as I've been all season I don't think they are throwing games...that would be too depressing to even contemplate.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) If you finds this thread stupid Pros, I invite you to read any one of those posted by you this past preseason. Or have you forgotten, "NFL c...

"NFL coaches fear the Browns" was not my doing. It was something I read in a column. A reporter was talking to NFL coaches and execs at the winter meetings (I believe) and that was what he heard. I was just passing it along for those who missed it.

As far as I know it was accurate. It looks like the coaches overestimated the Browns just like many of us did. It's also possible this team would be a lot more fearsome with a better coach.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago

• mortdogsr said... (original post) No...they need a ballhawking safety, an OT...and a stout, run stuffing, athletic defensive lineman and a lot of work in the weight room coupled w...

Agree. They've also had a very tough schedule.

The loss of Zeitler at right guard hurt and I'm not sure Vernon has made up for it.

• The reality of the situation is that Myles killed any remaining chance of making the playoffs. Any loss on that defensive line after that was going to be catastrophic.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Agree. They've also had a very tough schedule. The loss of Zeitler at right guard hurt and I'm not sure Vernon has made up for it.

"The loss of Zeitler at right guard hurt and I'm not sure Vernon has made up for it."

-- An interesting side-note is that the Dorsey Meter is at an all-time low right now. Current play raises the question: Were Baker and Denzel the right 2 guys to draft where we drafted them? Corbett a bust for where Dorsey took him. Was Freddie the right guy to name as HC? Why part ways with Baker's 1st QB coach? Who won the Zeitler/Peppers/1st round pick vs. OBJ/Vernon trade? Is this really the best we could do at O-line?

Meter readings are fickle, of course. Even the good ones go down a little bit for a little while before bouncing back up. Bad ones stay down for a long while.

• ergoipso said... (original post) "The loss of Zeitler at right guard hurt and I'm not sure Vernon has made up for it."-- An interesting side-note is that the Dorsey ...

In hindsight maybe we pass on Baker, take Bradley Chubb, and trade down from Ward to take Lamar Jackson. We still take Nick Chubb. With Bradley Chubb on board we don't need a DE so we keep Zeitler and don't trade him for Vernon. We end up this season with the same offensive line as last year, Bradley Chubb in place of Vernon, Zeitler in place of Kush/Teller at RG, and Jackson in place of Baker at QB.

That couldn't happen because everybody had Jackson as a mid-to-late first round pick and we weren't going to pass on a QB at #1 only to take the risk that somebody would jump in front of us to swipe Jackson. I think you can go back in every draft and find better picks that could have been made.

Yeah, Dorsey's stock is down - it has to be after starting 5-7. Some of his gambles aren't paying off. Callaway was a small risk and he's gone. Corbett was a big mistake at #33. I'm not sure Ward was a good choice that high - he's a little shrimp with tacking issues, potential concussion issues, and he lets bigger receivers rip balls away from him. No interceptions this season and he missed four games with an injury after getting knocked out with two concussions last year.

The Zeitler for Vernon deal is looking sketchy. The OBJ deal so far isn't paying off. I can't think of a win this year where OBJ's play was a significant factor, although he did catch an early TD against the Dolphins.

The hiring of Freddie Kitchens is what has him in the cross hairs as the season winds down. As Pat McManamon said, the Browns will have to decide if Freddie just needed a year to acclimate to the job or whether his hiring was a mistake that another year would only perpetuate.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) In hindsight maybe we pass on Baker, take Bradley Chubb, and trade down from Ward to take Lamar Jackson. We still take Nick Chubb. With Bradley ...

"As Pat McManamon said, the Browns will have to decide if Freddie just needed a year to acclimate to the job or whether his hiring was a mistake that another year would only perpetuate."

-- To quote Johnnie Cochran: "If the man can't acclimate, he must not perpetuate". Or something like that. I don't see a lot of acclimation in Freddie. He seems intent on butting his head against a brick wall and hoping it'll fall before he does.

Given the expectations we had going into this year, it's been pretty much a major disappointment. While there may be less talent in some areas than we initially thought, it also seems clear that we aren't utilizing the talent we have as best as possible. Talk about perpetuate, it needs to be figured out what needs doing and then it needs to start getting done no matter who's ego gets hurt. Otherwise the Browns will go down as one of those "woulda coulda shoulda been a contender" types as they sink into oblivion yet again.

The Rats seemed to have re-invented themselves successfully. And I'd bet that the Squeelers won't go too far astray before they get back into things. The perpetual floundering of Cincy is small consolation...

• ergoipso said... (original post) "As Pat McManamon said, the Browns will have to decide if Freddie just needed a year to acclimate to the job or whether his hiring was a mist...

It's amazing what the Steelers have accomplished despite the early loss of Ben, the poor play of Rudolph, and the injuries to Conner and Shuster-Smith. It would be like if the Browns lost Baker, Chubb, and Landry in the first couple of games but still went 7-5.

The Steelers success with a depleted roster makes Freddie look bad.

• The Steelers invest in their OL and front 7, take Haden as we cast him away, trade for Minkah, have depth at RB, and good coaching... saved the best for last.

Still can’t believe we lost that game, up 10-0.

What a freakin joke of a team.

8-8 is unlikely and 9-7 and somehow making the playoffs would truly be a Christmas miracle.

Those who predicted 6-10 are in play... kudos to y’all and happy freakin holidays.

Thanks Freddie- ya fat f*ck.

Anybody have Schotty’s # in Seattle?

• Take Brian Schottenheimer's name out of your mouth....please. This is not an imaginative offensive mind, He ran the Jets' offense for Mangini and Rex Ryan.....I rest my case. The Hawks are winning because of Pete Carroll 's leadership and Russell Wilson's ability to spin gold out of plays that turned to sh'''t. They're fundamentally sound on all units, but creative offensive schemes are the last thing that's making them win.

• Feeling a little bit better about this team. Freddie should go, and I'm not sold on the "savagery" of Dorsey. I got roasted elsewhere for thinking Dorsey is gone but I really am not sure how long he'll be here (obviously in the short-term, but not long-term). The 2018 draft really netted us Chubb and maybe Mayfield.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) Feeling a little bit better about this team. Freddie should go, and I'm not sold on the "savagery" of Dorsey. I got roasted elsewhere for ...

RR... The always question.... Has Freddie and his staff game planned, used, and coached the roster to be it's best? It looks like Dorsey acquired talent Has it been used well?
  • redright said... (original post) RR... The always question.... Has Freddie and his staff game planned, used, and coached the roster to be it's best? It looks like Dorsey acqu...

That's a fair point, and my only main issue with Dorsey is the OL.

• redright said... (original post) RR... The always question.... Has Freddie and his staff game planned, used, and coached the roster to be it's best? It looks like Dorsey acqu...

No Red, the real question is, who's controlling the game day roster and making the lineup card?

Are you saying Freddie has the juice to bench Beckham for his poor route running? His many drops? We're not talking about Higgins who wasn't brought in by Dorsey. Was it Freddie who benched Robinson? Or Randall? Or did that come from JD?

We all know Dorsey will trade a starter if he wants to see someone else in the lineup, just ask Carlos Hyde. Do you or anyone else think Freddie would buck Dorsey if he told him who to play? I don't.

Yeah, Freddie needs to dress better to look more professional so that the officials will take him more seriously. Drop a few pounds, something. But he's NOT the architect of this s**t show, that's Dorsey. And regardless of who is coaching the team next year, that's not going to change.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) No Red, the real question is, who's controlling the game day roster and making the lineup card?Are you saying Freddie has the juice to bench ...

So we're stuck with Dorsey...great. I liked the post otherwise but not stoked that we are stuck with him. He's not horrible, but he's a super-scout and not a true GM.

• I agree with Game that he's the best GM we've had STR. But that doesn't mean he isn't the one who Fcuked up this season. Beckham wasn't a "good get" b/c he's not a good fit, and he obviously doesn't want to play here. In a single move Dorsey changed the entire dynamic of the team with the addition of Beckham. Unfortunately it was for the worse.
    As to Game assertion that Odell was great in NY, I can't help but notice they didn't win any SB's while he was there. Not many games either. So now either Odell is great and both Eli and Baker suck, or Odell is lacking somewhere. I say OBJ is a shi&&y route runner. But that's just me.