Freddie ain't ready...

Freddie ain't ready...

• We know any rookie QB is schemed to exposes his weakness. Well the same is for first time HC. Freddie sucks in play calling and scheme design. Chubb made plays in spite of piss poor play calling. We saw what OBJ can do. How many times did we go to him? That side line pass crap is just that. You take Chubb out when you need tuff yardage???????

Dorsey has a lot to explain and Baker may have hit his ceiling. We don't have options and we have to much invested in him to quit now but Freddie? We got NOTHING to lose. He isn't ready for prime time which is why nobody else interviewed him. The simple play calling was enough on a team nobody gave a crap about his first season. He has shown ANYTHING to point to as an asset but plenty to point as an **** period. Did I actually say 8 & 8 at worst this year??? We will be lucky to win two more games. This time when Freddie says in his presser it on him? Believe it!!!!

• Discussion
  • Some people work hard and do what they are told and can think in a narrow range. They make good followers or employees to run a project or a limited assignment. A CEO is a leader and has a vision that he gets everyone to buy into. Freddie just isn't smart enough or detailed enough to sit in the capt. seat. He just can't think strategically or nuanced.

• Freddie calls plays like a monkey crapping in his hand and randomly throwing it at people. The route trees are horrible, he doesn't understand the nuance of running a play to set something else up, and his lateness in getting the plays in is a huge liability. OBJ has officially started crying and Mayfield needs a better mentor. I say blow it up since there is nothing salvageable between this OC, DC, and HC.

• municipalmutt said... (original post) Freddie calls plays like a monkey crapping in his hand and randomly throwing it at people. The route trees are horrible, he doesn't unde...

Great post, blamed everybody but the guy losing games, Baker Mayfield

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Great post, blamed everybody but the guy losing games, Baker Mayfield

Beat your pinata all you want. Freddie sucks so get over it. Stop defending an agenda. You were WRONG and so were a lot of us about Freddie. Baker sucked? Not as bad as Freddie's mess. Sorry to make ya get all misty, sad an defensive but Baker isn't going anywhere for a while. Freddie doesn't get the same grace period. You want to put odds on who goes first?? Get that Freddie glamour out yer eyes and slow down when reading what I said. Didn't I say Baker MAY HAVE HIT HIS CEILING??? Didn't I say DORSEY has a lot to explain????

This post was edited by hamster 9 months ago

• What I noticed more than anything was a lack of pre-snap motion. We might as well have hired McCarthy for all the creativity on display. KC's offense works because they create misdirection by having guys threatening both edges and downfield. We lined up and didn't move. Static, unimaginative, easy to defend. We have speed in OBJ, Landry, Callawy and Chubb, but don't use it.

F'ing baffled, disgusted and depressed. We've got talent, we've managed to nueter it completely. What a waste.

• Let me add that I think the plays coming in late enough that we don't get to do the pre snap motions or cadences that get a LB to lean or any other tell for what the LB and safeties are going to do makes it hard on Baker to diagnose where he needs to go with the ball. Basically by Freddie calling his own plays he is costing a 2nd QB time to really get a good read on the play so he is basically throwing blind. I think its completely messed up. The other issue is they need to move OBJ around more and stop making him run decoy type routes all the time. AND Finally we are way too predictable on our run plays. We almost never motion a player when we run. Its an easy tell and I can't believe how successful Chubb has been despite this.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS FREDDIE KITCHENS CALLING PLAYS... IT cascades from there making everything else more difficult. Instead of having 15 seconds Baker has 7 to get people lined up and moved around and read a Defense.... Yeah Tom Brady can do it but its a little much to ask a 2nd year QB to do it. Pisses me off to no end

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Great post, blamed everybody but the guy losing games, Baker Mayfield

The title of this thread was "Freddy Ain't Ready" Can you stay on topic? Freddie sucking and Mayfield sucking aren't mutually exclusive things but this particular thread wasn't about Mayfield. Try to keep up.
  • municipalmutt said... (original post) The title of this thread was "Freddy Ain't Ready" Can you stay on topic? Freddie sucking and Mayfield sucking aren't mutu...

-- Actually poppa was pointing out that the thread was limited by not including Baker into any evaluation of Freddie. So he was "on topic"- if from a different angle.

An angle I don't agree with. But it should be noted. So far it does look like "Freddie ain't ready" to go from a career position coach straight to HC. (With a very brief- and forced- stop in coordinator-land). Ultimately the blame lands on Dorsey, of course. He had a good start with a 7-8-1 season. After which he has made a series of questionable decisions. Starting with passing on other options and anointing Freddie as HC.

If it's true "Freddie ain't ready", then the question is: Why didn't our GM understand that and act accordingly? Good GMs do that. All evaluation should start there. Dorsey may have some very serious limitations in management. Starting growth is one thing. But managing growth is another.

• E
    Actually poppa was pointing out that the thread was limited by not including Baker into any evaluation of Freddie. So he was "on topic"- if from a different angle.

H
    Actually you are wrong. Baker and Dorsey were cited as potential concerns. This 'is' about Freddie. Should have Dorsey known? Maybe. Who knows how much Baker insisted? Who know to what degree there were concerns. Hate you tell you, just like drafting, NOBODY gets it right all the time. No one has a crystal ball. Many times you don't know what you have until they show what they got. Freddie hasn't shown improvement in game plans, decisions making, game adjustments or plays that get the play makers the ball better. Its a ****** fest royal here now so anyone can ****** about anyone but please don't confine my take as ONLY Freddie sucks. He is the one in this thread to focus on. He gets the glory he also has to take the heat. HCing has a lot to do in putting people in the right situations. You think Winston just decided to get it this year? Maybe Arians who is a damn good HC had something to do with it. I'll take the play calling Denver did for a first timer over what we had. We were predictable as mentioned by GF as well as EVERY commentator all week on the NFL channel, ESPN and others. Those who are 'players' not fans citing example after example. What sucks is there isn't much to do now but ******. Just like Baker, Freddie has enough rope to last a while before hanging himself but Baker has more for the reasons cited.

• I see us winning 1 more game, a split with the Bengals. Fins will beat us. 3-13 now; 5-11 is optimistic. I really thought Freddie would get it, but fear the Haslams are stuck with him now to show continunity.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 9 months ago

• hamster said... (original post) EActually poppa was pointing out that the thread was limited by not including Baker into any evaluation of Freddie. So he was "on topic"- ...

-- So I was right that Poppa was "on topic" by wanting to emphasize Baker's influence on how Freddie is perceived. Which is what I was pointing out to MuniMutt. A pov of Poppa's that I don't agree with, btw. (Which you'll see if you carefully re-read my original post.) Baker is a baby in the QB world and is still learning. He needs the support and guidance of an experienced HC. The kind of thing he would have had if- just as an example- Dorsey had hired Arians as HC and made Freddie the OC and HC-in-waiting. I can't imagine why that would have bothered Baker. (A scenario that Arians had more or less openly stated would be okay with him.)

But Dorsey had other ideas. What it was motivated by is unknown. It's fairly safe to assume he wanted to mold the team as he saw best and didn't want to be bothered by the input of an experienced HC. At any rate, we are 2-6 now and the Rats and Squeelers are waving good-bye. You're correct that no GM always gets it right when he makes decisions. But at some point, if it keeps happening in major areas, the screw-ups get to a level that calls for action.

I'll say it again: Starting growth- and then competently managing that growth- are 2 different skill sets.

• mythrand said... (original post) Let me add that I think the plays coming in late enough that we don't get to do the pre snap motions or cadences that get a LB to lean or any othe...

I'm confused. Doesn't the qb headset turn off at 15 sec of play clock left? Unless they are sending the plays using players, Baker has the play at the 15 second mark.
  • Rpd27 said... (original post) I'm confused. Doesn't the qb headset turn off at 15 sec of play clock left? Unless they are sending the plays using players, Baker has the ...

Yes and he has to call the play in the huddle and then get lined up so if it comes in at 20 seconds at best he has to then call the play get everyone lined up your down to 10 sec left at best to move guys around etc... If it comes in at 15 sec then he is at the line with 7 or 6 seconds to read the D.

• Freddie should have gotten his first OC job this year, NOT his first HC job. Browns FO really screwed that hire up. I can't blame any player at this point, not even the O-line, because coaching is the reason for the season.

This post was edited by TheMadK1ng 9 months ago