Hunt

Hunt

• Really, really interested in how Kitchens and Monken scheme Hunt into the offense. This is a golden opportunity to save their jobs and to demonstrate and reeastblish their creative reputations. Hunt is like a queen in chess, a multi-purpose player that, working in tandem with Chubb, should open up the entire board. Hunt can run, catch screens and passes in the flat, wheel routes and run deep routes. Put him in the backfield with Chubb and get everybody moving in different directions pre-snap. Beautiful thing is Chubb can catch the ball too. You can run that sneakly little WR hand off behind the tackle off the RB motions. Imagine being able to fake.a screen to Chubb on one side and go to Hunt on the other, or vice versa.

If Fred can't use Hunt to at least partially unlock the offense, he's f"""ked. And Bob Wylie will look like a very honest man.

• Discussion
  • Gameface64 said... (original post) Really, really interested in how Kitchens and Monken scheme Hunt into the offense. This is a golden opportunity to save their jobs and to demons...

SD:

Bobs comments were discounted as sour grapes, but he’s been prescient on all his observations in regard to Freddie .

Nobody wanted to hear it at the time but he couldn’t have nailed this Sh!i show closer with a laser pointer .

Forget all that hope of intelligent play calling that fits your personnel , you know damn well Meatball has to show his smarts by having Hunt take 7 step drops and pass the ball when he isn’t lead blocking for Baker on designed QB runs around end .

Err on second thought I’m not sure I was joking .

>>>>>

SoulDawg

This post was edited by SoulDawg74 9 months ago

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD: Bobs comments were discounted as sour grapes, but he’s been prescient on all his observations in regard to Freddie .Nobody wanted to hear it ...

Bob Wylie as HC/GM. No doubt it's being kicked around down in Knoxville.

• Can't really get many moving in any direction beore-snap if the coach does not get the play in on time. To date this year, he has really sucked at that, especially in the redzone. I would not be surprised to hear that a few times the helmet radio was shut off before he got it in. 15 seconds I think is when it shuts off. Then they have to huddle call the play and get to the line with a few seconds left, and no time for pre-snap movement or to read the D

This post was edited by glousterbrown 9 months ago

• Even if Hunt does nothing more than replace Hilliard on 3rd downs it will help. There was a huge 3rd-and-3 Sunday where Hilliard had a gaping hole right in from of him and chose to cut left and run into his own blocker before bouncing off and getting 2 yards on a play where he should have got 5.

By the way, the Bills rank 19th in run defense at 4.4 yards per carry. I expect Hunt and Chubb will have the ball in their hands a lot.

The Bills have a good pass defense, ranking 5th in opponent's completion percentage and 3rd in yards per pass attempt and opponent's passer rating. Baker is going to have a tough time throwing the ball but if we can get the running game going it may open up some shots off play action on first or second down.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Even if Hunt does nothing more than replace Hilliard on 3rd downs it will help. There was a huge 3rd-and-3 Sunday where Hilliard had a gaping ho...

SD:

Damn sure another recipe for disaster if Freddie out smarts himself, forcing the ball to Beckham instead of running on the Bill's Sunday .

For some reason which escapes me he's been playing the smartest guy in the room with his playcalling , only problem ,

The only person he's fooled is himself .

A kid bouncing on the bed jumping up and down with a sheet over his head pronouncing loudly Daddy can't see me , is more self aware.

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Damn sure another recipe for disaster if Freddie out smarts himself, forcing the ball to Beckham instead of running on the Bill's Sunday ...

Well you're right about one thing, it escapes you. Completely

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Well you're right about one thing, it escapes you. Completely

SD:

I'm not the one whose been taken prisoner of the moment .

But I won't tell anybody I had to figure that out for ya .

Its not about what you want or what I want , this is about an issue out of both of our hands .

You think you can stop whats coming for Freddie , by pleading his case .

I've just kindly warned you to step back on the curb , because you aren't about to stop that bus .

Freddie has but one chance.

Start winning games and keep winning games , peeps have been kindly trying to save him stressing the merits over the cons , but blowing that Denver game used up all his second chances.

These players really let him down and he let them down by not demanding they give their best .

>>>>>

SoulDawg

This post was edited by SoulDawg74 9 months ago

• I really want Monken to take over the play calling but Freddie figures if he's going to get fired he wants to go down doing it his way, and I expect both to happen.

• Biggest weakness is the tight ends and the depth at wr. Ignore the oline for this post. Dropping a wr and adding hunt removed a turd from the field and added a bell cow.

Instantly made the team better. Freddie should be playing chubb and hunt together the whole game against the steelers. You cant win with wr and tight ends that dont block and dont impact the passing game. With baker being a little off you need guys getting wide **** open and delivering blows in the blocking department giving baker the confidence he needs to look downfield focus on passing and get out of his funk.

• Hunt and Chubb are deadly players. Should be on the field constantly.

• I don't understand why they got rid of Duke if they knew Hunt was going to be gone for 8 games... Seems like Hunt, Chubb, Duke would be just the thing right now

• That's a lot of wheels for one bike.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:I'm not the one whose been taken prisoner of the moment .But I won't tell anybody I had to figure that out for ya .Its not about wh...

.....and around and around we go.

You can't just assume that a change, any change, will make an improvement. Unless of course you think the Giants are better with Shumur than they were with McAdo?

The real problem is knowing what cause the dysfunction? Is it just Freddie being over his head? Is it Dorsey for hiring Monken? Is it b/c Beckham changed the dynamic and chemistry of the offense? And how many of the loses were b/c our defensive scheme doesn't fit our personnel? The Steve Wilks led defense has been anything but great.

Jumping from the pan into the fire never cooked a great steak. Your out of wack expectations for this team is clouding your judgement.

Do I believe the team would have played better without all the changes? Yes I do. But it's hard to tell which was worse, the addition of Monken or Beckham. All we really see is Beckham. His talent demands attention, both from the defense and our QB. I don't mind forcing the ball to him, but he HAS to catch it when it comes his way or he needs to STFU about it.

So whose offense are we really running? Because it doesn't look like the offense that got Freddie the top job. I've been saying all along that it's Monken's offense, at the demand of Dorsey, and it sure looks like it on game day. The frustration Freddie exhibits while calling plays seems to indicate he's not familiar with the function of the players during the play. Especially in short yardage.

So now is firing Freddie going to make it better or worse? I don't think the offense we are currently trying to run fits Mayfield, at all. So going with Monken seems like a mistake. If we want to go back to the offense we were running last year, isn't Freddie the best one to do that?

Personally I don't think there is any going back. Beckham's presence on the team won't allow that to happen. As long as OBJ is on the team he's going to want the ball, Dorsey is going to want him to get the ball, and so will the media and fans. You and everyone else has heard it straight from Mayfield's own mouth, they need to force the ball to OBJ early in games. Is that a good thing? Or does it just put pressure on the coaching staff and QB?

What makes you think that's going to change with another HC? Answer, it won't.

• oasis05 said... (original post) Biggest weakness is the tight ends and the depth at wr. Ignore the oline for this post. Dropping a wr and adding hunt removed a turd from the field ...

One problem that has been overlooked is the tight end situation. Yesterday ProFootballFocus gave Harris a grade of 68, which is not bad. Pharoah Brown and Carlson, who has been on the practice squad all year, were 51-55 in their 16-18 snaps. With Njoku and Seals-Jones injured we're down to using our 4th and 5th tight ends. Neither Brown or Carlson should even be active in a normal situation.

Now that Hunt is back we will no longer have to utilize practice squad and undrafted free agent rookie TE's that much, if at all. Hunt is almost like a TE in that you can put him in the slot and he'll get open and catch the ball. He had seven catches yesterday. He can also block on running plays like a fullback. PFF gave him the highest run blocking grade on the team. What's more, he likes to block.

Freddie admitted they didn't have any goal line plays involving Hunt. That will surely change by Thursday night. If the Browns could have scored on those two first-and-goal possessions inside the 2-yard line they would have scored 30 points against an above average defense.

The Browns will have a full complement of healthy receivers for the first time against the Steelers, plus Hunt, who can be used as a tight end or running back or even wide receiver. There are no more excuses. Freddie and Monken have to come up with some plays to minimize the weaknesses of the offensive tackles and utilize the enormous talent at the skill positions.

The defense needs to step up. James Conner will be back and this Rudolph kid is playing really well. The Steelers offensive line is outstanding. It's going to be a challenge for a defense that has underperformed all year.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) One problem that has been overlooked is the tight end situation. Yesterday ProFootballFocus gave Harris a grade of 68, which is not bad. Pharoah ...

I disagree Pros, this game falls squarely on the offense.

The inbred have been living off their defense. Rudolph is just another inexperienced QB who's prone to mistakes. Conner is injured and not 100%.

But regardless of how much success we do or don't have running the ball, at some point we'll try to force the ball to Beckham, bc that's what we do now. It's been mandated. And it'll be the turning point in the game. Question is, which way?

• The real problem is knowing what cause the dysfunction? Is it just Freddie being over his head? Is it Dorsey for hiring Monken? Is it b/c Beckham changed the dynamic and chemistry of the offense? And how many of the loses were b/c our defensive scheme doesn't fit our personnel? The Steve Wilks led defense has been anything but great.

We can go on forever about Freddie, Dorsey, Monken, and Wilks, but I want to point out a few problems that have nothing to do with the coaching.

1. The right guard position has been a black hole. Kush was one of the worst in the league, ranking 69 out of 78 by PFF and now Teller, who the Bills didn't want, isn't much better. He'd rank 67th if he had enough snaps.

2. Greg Robinson ranks 31st by PFF, which makes him a marginal starter since there are 32 starters. Hubbard ranks 72 out of 75. The right side of our offensive line has been nothing short of awful.

3. The tight end situation is a mess as I pointed out in the previous post. We're down to playing undrafted rookie free agents along with Harris, who's a career journeyman.

4. At WR, Callaway has been suspended for 5 of 9 games. Higgins has been injured and Freddie says he's just getting back to being 100%. Mayfield commented on how we need a third receiver, but with Higgins, Callaway, and Njoku out, Hunt suspended, and Duke Johnson traded we just haven't had one until the last two games.

5. The defense has been a big problem. At corner, Greedy and Ward haven't played bad, ranking 38 and 41 among corners, but they are the best corners on the team and they've both missed multiple games with injuries. Michell and Murrey have been OK, but Carrie ranks 91st out of 114. Now that Ward and Greedy are back I expect better coverage the rest of the season.

6. Damarious Randall is the best safety on the team, but he ranks 30th, so he's an average starter, but he's only played about half the snaps due to injury. If it's any consolation Jabrill Peppers ranks 44th, slightly ahead of Morgan Burnett.

7. The injury to Kirksey forced the Browsn to play a rookie 5th round pick at linebacker. Mack Wilson ranks 75 out of 85 among linebackers. Schobert is 51, so I guess that makes him an average starter.

8. At DT Larry Ogunjobi ranks 106 out of 120. I doubt he starts for any other team. His failure to develop is really disappointing. I had high hopes for this 3rd round pick, especially after he displayed so much courage in playing with a torn bicep for much of last season.

9. Baker Mayfield ranks 20th out of 36 ranked QB's. I don't know if he's "regressed" or if the problems on the OL and at TE and WR have impacted his game. Last year he was at his best when he was spreading it around and hitting 7-8 different receivers. This year, without a reliable third wide receiver, with Njoku going down early and Seals-Jones shortly after, and with Duke gone, he hasn't had a lot of targets. On top of that the substitution of Kush/Teller for Zeitler at RG and the poor performance of Hubbart at RT also had an effect. I don't know how to evaluate Baker in light of the problems on the offensive line and the lack of receiving targets beyond OBJ and Landry.

Last year he had it all going for him; excellent pass protection, lots of targets including the top receiving back in the league besides Kamara, and weak opponents. This year the Browns have played the toughest schedule in the NFL to this point. The pass protection is much worse and there's been no Duke, Perriman, Callaway, Njoku, or Higgins. OBJ is great but he basically missed training camp with the hip injury.

None of the above can be laid at the feet of Freddie or the coaches unless you want to blame them for some of the poor individual performances. I'm not saying they've done a great job. Clearly the team wasn't ready to compete against the Titans. There have been questionable decisions and a lack of focus and discipline. That seems to be improving. Let's see where it goes from here.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 8 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The real problem is knowing what cause the dysfunction? Is it just Freddie being over his head? Is it Dorsey for hiring Monken? Is it b/c Beckha...

Good point about the personnel. We now have the addition of Hunt and- perhaps- more Higgins in our offense. Let's see if Freddie Todd can use that to improve things. That'll be a good tell on the ability of our coaching staff to take advantage of opportunity.

• Browns still have a lot of holes to fill. But they now have a truly dominant unit with 2 of the top 5 players in the game in their back field. Chubb and hunt are ******** weapons. It gives the rest of the team hope that if they can tread water chubb and hunt will come in and bail them out open everything up and beat the other teams down. Watching chubb carry the browns and half of the bills player down to the 35 yard line there was no doubt in the browns mind they could do what they want when they want.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The real problem is knowing what cause the dysfunction? Is it just Freddie being over his head? Is it Dorsey for hiring Monken? Is it b/c Beckha...

It's disheartening to see what Fitzpatrick has meant to the Steelers, and Earl Thomas and Marcus Peters (and Tony Jefferson too) have done for the Ravens. The best AFCN defenses have always had the superstar safety, from Ed Reed to Troy Polamalu. We don't have that, and haven't had that in a long time. Randall talks a better game than he plays. They tried to fix it by drafting Peppers, but then Psycho Gregg parked in a different zip code anyway. Our D just doesn't create many takeaways, and without those, it's hard to swing momentum in games.

Although I want to give a shout out to Sheldon Richardson for punching the ball out of Chad Allen's hands, even if we didn't secure the fumble.

• oasis05 said... (original post) Browns still have a lot of holes to fill. But they now have a truly dominant unit with 2 of the top 5 players in the game in their back field. Chub...

Keeps his ego in check and just keeps on producing. Watching him and Hunt work together last game was beautiful. A rare commodity this year. On a team with several big mouths and big egos, how can you not love him?

Most of the defensive grades that have dropped are because of the following:

1. Ogunjobi is being ask to play a style of DT that he is not suited to play. This scheme is NOT ideal for him and the score reflects that

2. Ward and Greedy both are Press Man Corners playing zone for the first time in their careers.. Notice how this week Ward went man and his score shot up...

3. The LB score you don't mention because in Wilkes system they make all the plays.

4. Richardson and Vernon are the only defensive signings that fit what Wilkes is trying to do and its no coincidence that they are excelling

Honestly I think they made a HUGE mistake hiring Wilkes because it throws away all the talent we already acquired. Wilkes plays his scheme and isnt adjusting his scheme to fit the talent and I hate coaches that do that crap.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Really, really interested in how Kitchens and Monken scheme Hunt into the offense. This is a golden opportunity to save their jobs and to demons...

Plus they can block and release, helping the tackles in pass pro that way. Just enough time to protect #6.

They need to have #6 in I-pro more and NO MORE SHOTGUN!

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) One problem that has been overlooked is the tight end situation. Yesterday ProFootballFocus gave Harris a grade of 68, which is not bad. Pharoah ...

Steelers have less talent in a few key spots (Rudolph isn't Ben but he's solid, plus they have a great D) but a ton of key advantages:

1) Tomlin knows how to get his team to play hard IN SPITE OF injuries.

2) A veteran team that's been there and done that.

3) Lockdown defense after getting Fitzpatrick, plus they got Bush in the draft.

4) Rudolph is playing within himself.

5) A team that knows how to close games.

Next year...there's always next year. We have talent but we aren't playing as a team. I don't see the Steelers ever being worse than 8-8 in the next 10 years. Hope Tomlin gets pried away for the Skins and the Steelers' next coach is a downgrade.

• Stools got nothing on O anymore. Stuff the run and man up on Smith-Schuster, McDonald, and Washington/Johnson.

Run the ball on O. Limit penalties/turnovers and their corners are beatable. Play action and open up the middle of the field.

Brownies should roll these guys on Thurs night- don’t eff it up, Freddie. I want to come back here on Friday morning and beach slap some of these posters in here.

#nocrowformethanks

• dawgmusic said... (original post) Stools got nothing on O anymore. Stuff the run and man up on Smith-Schuster, McDonald, and Washington/Johnson. Run the ball on O. Limit penalties...

The Steelers rank 19th in points per game, slightly below average. They don't run the ball well, ranking 28th at 3.5 ypc. Even James Conner is only averaging 3.9.

They are just below average in completion percentage at 64.2% but 25th in yards per pass attempt. So far they have Rudolph focusing more on a high completion percentage than on getting big yards.

The Steelers rank 2nd in sack percentage. Their pass protection is elite. Rudolph will have a lot of time to throw, especially with Vernon out. This will be a huge problem for the Browns' defense. Wilks may have to send some 6-man blitzes and count on his corners to cover man-to-man. Smith-Shuster is their leading receiver and he's averaging four catches per game for 55 yards.

Defensively the Steelers rank 10th in points per game and 7th in rushing yards per attempt. You can complete passes against them as they rank 19th at 64.7%. Mayfield will have to keep the chains moving with quick passes to nullify their rush. The Steelers are 9th in yards per attempt, so they don't get beat deep much. They rank 6th in opposing passer rating and 3rd over the last three games. Mayfield is going to be very challenged to throw on these guys, but I don't think they've yet faced a team with four receivers like OBJ, Landry, Callaway and Higgins, not to mention Hunt out of the backfield.

Their sack percentage ranks 4th. Their rush will be a huge problem for our athletically challenged offensive line. FootballOutsiders ranks the Browns' o-line ranks 21st in pass protection, so it's strength against weakness when the Browns throw the ball. Freddie better keep somebody in to pick up Watt when he blows by Hubbard or Robinson, which I'm sure he will do many times.