Max Kellerman calling for Rudolph to be suspended

Max Kellerman calling for Rudolph to be suspended

• Started the fight , escalated it , and continued it after Garret was shielded away TE-engaging the incident

My new favorite sport guy

• Discussion
  • There is no incident without Rudolph's reaction to being legally taken down. He then goes after Garrett once they were both on their feet. He should definitely be suspended.

• The league is always about money. For once I'm 100% with Max K. What blows me aways is all the 'What ifs'. Rudolph is the coward and chump. No excuse for Garret and yes he should have been fined and suspended but to ignore Rudolph is a joke.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) There is no incident without Rudolph's reaction to being legally taken down. He then goes after Garrett once they were both on their feet. H...

I agree, but this may not be the worst thing from a football standpoint. Rudolph isn't that good and I feel Hodges is better, so if you want the Stools to stay mediocre--not bad enough to get a real QB pick in the first round, yet not good enough to get to the dance--stick with Rudolph.

I was initially upset he didn't get suspended, but if you're a Browns fan and look at it without emotion it might not be bad long-term.

• Kts is right but for the wrong reason.

It will be the Browns seeking revenge in two weeks, not the Steelers.

• If the Browns organization doesn't change the narrative and shift some of the blame for the incident on to Rudolph, the league will orchestrate a beatdown of the Browns in 2 weeks.

I mean you did see that TD drive led by the striped shirts the other night right? That was no accident, that was the league's attempt to get their beloved inbred back into the game.

If the roles were reversed, the narrative today would be the Steeler player was defending himself in a attack by 2 Browns players led by Baker Mayfield. Myles Garrett was being held by DeCastro while being attacked by Rudolph, I don't blame him one bit for defending himself.

The team should be backing Garrett up, not hanging him out to dry.

This post was edited by poppa9601 2 months ago

• I read a Sports Illustrated article that puts an emphasis on the racial lines of the suspensions. Ogunjobi pushes someone to the ground and is suspended for a game? Two other Black players involved in the incident are also suspended... But the white guy who literally caused everything gets out unscathed?

I'm not totally sold it's a racial issue, but it's a very bad look for the NFL regardless. Especially after the Kaepernick debacle this weekend.

• I don't care if Rudolph gets suspended. He threw four interceptions, then tried to rip Garrett's helmet off in frustration and failed, so Myles ripped his off. When Rudolph tried to get it back Myles whacked him over the head with it. I think Rudolph has to be embarassed. Little punk messed with the wrong dude.

That being said, this never would have happened had Garrett not selfishly gone for a sack with 17 seconds to play, up by two scores, and with the Steelers 85 yards from a TD. The game was over. Just stand up and go through the motions. At this point the only consideration is for nobody to get injured on the last meaningless play or two. But no, Myles wants to lead the league in sacks so he decided to try and get a meaningless sack to pad his stats. So he went all out and went for the stat, beating his man and getting to Rudolph a split second too late. He might have made a comment to Rudolph after taking him to the ground. At any rate, Rudolph went for his helmet and it was game on.

If Garrett just lays back and lets the clock run out instead of pursuing his personal goals we're good. If he drops the damn helmet we're good. But one glancing blow that did zero damage and he's out over a million dollars and the Browns lose their best defensive player for the rest of the year. Ironically, he won't be the DPOY or win the sack title now, and he had a decent shot at the sack title and maybe even the DPOY if he didn't try to pad his stats in garbage time.

With four weak teams still on the schedule who knows how many sacks Garrett would have accumulated? No honors for Garrett this year, he loses over a million bucks, and he may have cost the Browns a playoff spot.

This is like in the NBA when a team gets the ball ahead by 10 points with 20 seconds to go. They just dribble out the clock - nobody tries to score a basket to improve their stats. What Garrett did was like an NBA player in that situation deciding to try a spectacular dunk just to get on the post-game highlights and blowing out his knee. Selfish, stupid, and very detrimental to his team that is fighting for a playoff spot and gaining momentum.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I don't care if Rudolph gets suspended. He threw four interceptions, then tried to rip Garrett's helmet off in frustration and failed, ...

I don't disagree with ya that Myles could have/should have just phoned it in on the last play rather than going for the sack.....and he probably could have/should have avoided taking Sissy Boy Rudolph to the ground....altho that was probably the gentlest takedown I've ever seen of a QB.

My real issue is with the dumbass Squeelers......still throwing the ball with 15 seconds left, and down by two scores, after Rudolph had just been sacked on the previous two plays.....insanity. Run the f---ing ball and get off the field.

A lot of dumb things had to happen for us to end up where we are today....unfortunately, they all did.

What Myles did is inexcusable....but Rudolph walking away essentially scott free is a bad look for the league....he provoked Myles not just once, but twice. I look for his role in the melee to be scrutinized a little more thoroughly this week as all the sports radio talk show geniuses start to dig a little deeper into the whole mess.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I don't care if Rudolph gets suspended. He threw four interceptions, then tried to rip Garrett's helmet off in frustration and failed, ...

How old are you Pros? 40? 50? Seriously how old? Because that take is one of a mature person, and of course I agree with you. But then I'm not a 25 y o elite athlete whose pay is determined by my stat total. Myles is.

It's like a fight you may have gotten into as a kid. Nobody asked you how you won, only if you won. The same with Garrett. Nobody will ever ask him " how many sacks did you get in garbage time"? Only, how many sacks did you get? How many times have you heard anyone ask "gap tooth" that question? It's all just Micheal Strahan set the sack record, without any mention of the laydown sack he got against Favre that secured the record.

To blame the entire situation on Myles being selfish is beneath you, and completely off the mark. This was start to finish on Mason Rudolph. But as per usual, the Browns are the ones getting hosed.

This post was edited by poppa9601 2 months ago

• poppa9601 said... (original post) How old are you Pros? 40? 50? Seriously how old? Because that take is one of a mature person, and of course I agree with you. But then I'm n...

I'm not blaming the entire incident on Garrett. I'm just pointing out that if he didn't selfishly and needlessly try to get an empty stat in garbage time to push his personal agenda, this would not have happened, he would not be out over a million dollars in lost salary, and he'd actually have a good chance to win the sack title with four bad teams still on the schedule. And his team would have a better chance to make the playoffs. I don't think this opinion is "beneath" me and completely "off the mark". It's absolutely true. The Browns did not need a sack on that play and a sack would not have affected the outcome of the game in the slightest.

I agree with the poster who asked why the Steelers were throwing the ball with 17 seconds left and the outcome decided. Yeah, just hand it off up the middle and walk off the field. The Steelers' main concern should have been to avoid injury, and Rudolph ended up taking a hit he didn't need to take, which could have resulted in injury.

A lot of stupidity on both sides. Now the Steelers don't have their starting center for the next three games and their offense is already in bad shape.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I'm not blaming the entire incident on Garrett. I'm just pointing out that if he didn't selfishly and needlessly try to get an em...

I dont agree with you on this Pros. Sacks happen to be one of those stats that selfish sacks are directly beneficial to the team.

Myles going 100% and not taking plays off should be commended, besides going 100% is a big factor to avoiding injury.

If the game is in the bag, Myles should have been pulled, but he did want that sack and they left him in. The sacks motivate him and the whole team.

I hope next year they do watch Myles CLOSELY every game, every snap, we will lead the league in holding calls.

• I'm thinking that if I were a DE and a quarterback dropped back to pass with no time on the clock, I'd want to meet his insult with a good hard sack. He asked for it!

• No two ways about it Red. Sacks are money and status and if you are a QB going for it EVEN in garbage time you are inviting stats from a defensive player. Rudolph did just that and then was outraged?? Garrett pulled him down, he didn't slam him like some self righteous commentators are saying. The more I watch it the more I can see Rudolph the red assed QB contributing. He was counting on not having the helmet and two of his players there and thought he could just strike out without consequences. Yeah yeah Garrett was wrong, but i really hope as Gary stated this is fuel for the Browns defense next time they meet. No body should go into that game embarrassed over what happened.

• The Steelers shouldn't have been passing and Garrett shouldn't have been in the game