My Bad

My Bad

• My bad for thinking that a lot of the Browns' issues were simply due to a brutal schedule and a lack of time to gel.

My bad for thinking the Baltimore game was who we really were, and tightening up a few loose bolts and screws would bring it all back.

My bad for thinking we'd roll the Donks, and snowball our way through the second half.

My bad for masochistically listening to the post game press conferences where the catch phrases remain unchanged and the problems remain unsolved week after week.

My bad for not drinking way more beer yesterday when the truth was revealed that this team is lost, doesn't have a clue how to get better, and is a loose collection of random ideas/players that can't seem to translate into a viable plan/team.

My really bad for not drinking enough beer to achieve a state of unconsciousness and forget the whole thing.

• Discussion
  • It’s ok. Apology accepted. Also if they rattle off 8 straight wins, they will end the season 10-6, a big improvement from last year’s 7-9-1. If they can do that and then add another 3 wins next year, suddenly hosting a playoff game at 13-3 seems pretty realistic.

• SeattleBrowns said... (original post) It’s ok. Apology accepted. Also if they rattle off 8 straight wins, they will end the season 10-6, a big improvement from last year’s 7-9-1. ...

If that actually happens, it'll my bad for being overly pessimistic. But right now, the win over the Ravens was the anamoly, not the losses to Tennesee, SF and Denver. Even the win over the Jets wasn't nearly the shellacking it should have been, and conisering the Dolphins just managed the same, it's not much to hang one's hat on. I'll concede the losses to LA, NE, and Seattle. We looked kind of competitive in those. 3 out of 8.

Here's hoping you're right, but reversing the current trend and managing not to throw in a single clunker down the line would be some kind of miracle finish. Last time I checked, the Browns have been short on miracles this year.

One more: My bad for believing Steve Wilks when he said Jermaine Whitehead was extremely smart and a team leader:

“Extremely smart. Very intelligent. Takes control when he is out there. Knows how to really communicate and articulate the defense and get everybody on the same page...He is a guy that is very smart and that can play multiple positions. You put yourself in a situation when guys get hurt; it is really just plug and play with him. It is still too early to determine. I like what he is doing and most importantly, his leadership.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Jermaine-Whitehead-leader-Cleveland-Browns-defense-132250148/

• SeattleBrowns said... (original post) It’s ok. Apology accepted. Also if they rattle off 8 straight wins, they will end the season 10-6, a big improvement from last year’s 7-9-1. ...

This bad led GF to his bad.. I'm done the what ifs. I'm now sticking with what 'is'. We IS a disfunctional team with no reason to think otherwise until a major shake up takes place.

• Its funny but I was just as optimistic on the Browns up to yesterday's game as GF was.

But then the game started, and while my son was rooting hard, I just sat there feeling passionless right from the beginning of the game. I guess it was right then that it hit me, nothing has changed with this team.

I'll watch the games like I always do each week, but my main rooting will be for Baker to find his confidence and get into a groove.

We'll get another HC and hopefully JD will make a good selection (hoping for Josh McDaniels), but we know how hard it is to get a FQB.

• yogi8 said... (original post) Its funny but I was just as optimistic on the Browns up to yesterday's game as GF was.But then the game started, and while my son was rooting ha...

Good for you Yogi for waking up to what I've been saying all along, the Browns are a collection of individuals and not a team.

Now I'll tell you we're not getting a new HC. There's no way on this earth that Haslam goes down that road again and fires a HC after only 1 season. The public humiliation and scorn he faced after firing Chud will not be revisited. To fire Freddie after just 1 season would make fools out of both JH3 and Dorsey. Not happening.

As for finding a FQB? I'll argue that we haven't, not yet. Jury is definitely still out on that one.

• Poppa,

Very possible outcome, and sensible in its own way. But if the Browns don't start looking more together, I could see Dorsey publicly taking responsibility and keeping Haslam out of the muck. Besides, the national media is portraying Kitchens as not very bright. On one podcast with Bill Simmons a few weeks ago, they were joking that Fred was the team janitor or groundskeeper and they made him HC by accident. His rep is so bad that it may actually be more face saving for Haslam to cut him loose.

• yogi8 said... (original post) Its funny but I was just as optimistic on the Browns up to yesterday's game as GF was.But then the game started, and while my son was rooting ha...

If I was Kitchens, I would burn the Denver tape. No use replaying all the same mistakes over and over and over. What I'd do is rerun the Baltimore game and remind the team what they can be, not what they have been. Put that sh''t on a loop and remember what's not only possible, but was actually achieved.

Then go bowling together or something for team building...........joking.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) Good for you Yogi for waking up to what I've been saying all along, the Browns are a collection of individuals and not a team.Now I'll ...

As far as HC, I hear what you're saying and Im not opposed and understand rookie HC's making mistakes, but he's making the same ones, like Baby Huey.

I just cant get behind him for another year unless he turns it around in whatever games he has left.

We dont know what Baker is yet, we thought we knew based on last year, and regressed is a soft word to describe how hard Baker's game has fallen.

But I blame a lot of that on Freddy. I can see that Baker is 500% better QB when in rhythm, why cant Freddy see it?

Why are we not throwing any alley=oops to the end zone corners like we did last year? I know they were mostly to Njoku but Baker threw some to our other receivers too.

Baker was really good at throwing that last year and with out struggles in the red zone, along with sooo many empty backfields and lack of PA passes.\

Ive got to question Freddy's intelligence.

I'd love to see Baker in Josh McDaniels hands and learn his offense.

• yogi8 said... (original post) As far as HC, I hear what you're saying and Im not opposed and understand rookie HC's making mistakes, but he's making the same ones, ...

You act like Mayfield did that all on his own last year. Baker's coming out was b/c of Freddie, not in spite of him. So somehow in your mind baker can't be worse but Freddie can. Typical hero worship.

It's Mayfield throwing the picks, missing reads, throwing high, wide and behind his receivers, not Freddie. Baker himself said "whenever he changes the snap count, someone has a false start". But I guess in your world that's on Freddie.

It's amazing how blind some fans can be. What's different from last year to this on offense? MONKEN that's what. Does it look like the offense we ran last year? NO, b/c it isn't. It's Monken's offense. Now pay attention, trick question, who hired Monken? Hint, it wasn't Freddie.

Freddie didn't even know Monken, never worked with him, and run a completely different offense. Why would he hire him? Because that was one of the conditions he excepted to get the job, allow Dorsey's "input" on the coaching staff. How can it be more obvious? Dorsey wants what he had in KC, a aerial circus. The offense Freddie ran, to Dorsey that s*** was outdated.

Look who he's picked. Mayfield was Mahomes main competition in college and beat A&M in their head to head matchup. Callaway is our Tyrek Hill. When KC released Hunt, JD jumped right on him, PR be damned. Dorsey doesn't want AFCN football, he wants AFCW football.

And Freddie? He's just the fall guy, and in the end he'll take the fall. But it won't be this year. Who else can Dorsey get to be his patsy?

From top to bottom, east to west, this is Dorsey's team. He hired all the coaches, picked all the players, made all the trades. It's Dorsey's team. It's all on him.

• I know you have disdain for premium content, but it's been stated over and over by site insiders that this is Fred's offense, and much like Arian's, built around deep passing.

The other difference is that last year was not Fred's offense, it was Haley's. Remember that?

I'm not saying you're wrong, deciphering offensive concepts is above my pay grade. But it seems, on the surface, that Monken's ideas should have dovetailed with a downfield passing preference. Adding OBJ should have fit as well. I think you've stated Mayfield is the piece that doesn't fit, and he's struggling to execute whatever the hell Kitchens is calling.

I do get your POV about AFCW football. But AFCW football is built on speed and misdirection. I don't see any of the pre-snap motion that Andy Reid utilizes to create hesitation by the D, open space for his offense and to assist his QB in identifying pressures and coverages. I'm not sure what offensive style we're running, but it's static, slow and predictable by comparison.

• Spot on Game. Here is something that mentions it.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/09/remembering-how-freddie-kitchens-play-calls-made-the-browns-offense-a-hit-in-2018.html

(Note this statement) -------“It takes time to develop offensively,” Kitchens said. “We kind of hit the ground running last year because we had been through eight games already (before he took over as offensive coordinator) so we knew what we were doing.”

• poppa9601 said... (original post) You act like Mayfield did that all on his own last year. Baker's coming out was b/c of Freddie, not in spite of him. So somehow in your mind ...

I agree with the basic tenet that how the Browns are currently shaped was designed by Dorsey and he's the guy to look at if you want to make fundamental changes. That painfully includes the anointing of good old Freddie as the HC, the guy who had been a position coach his whole career. Based only on the limited success the team had when he became the emergency OC after Haley was canned. The HC position seems to be one that he wasn't quite ready for.

So- while ultimate responsibility firmly rests on the head of Dorsey- let's not gloss over the fact that Freddie clearly seems out of his league. I'm afraid that if you try to, people may start to see you as the blind Freddie worshipper. Just like another guy appeared to be back in the Hue Jackson era.

But before anything else- including a firing of Freddie- there needs to be a determination regarding Dorsey's ability to function as the long-term GM. Which sadly seems to fall into the lap of Jim Bob. Somehow, he'll need to be able to independently decide if a basic change needs to occur to the power structure in some form. The fact that he's the HMFIC fills me with dread and sorrow. I was hopeful the team under Dorsey would do well enough to keep him quiet down in Knoxville. It doesn't seem to be headed that way unfortunately.

This is a tipping point season. Right now the balance doesn't seem to be tipping the right way.

• Look at the bright side optimist live longer

I want what he is smoking

• mythrand said... (original post) I want what he is smoking

I fear the Haslams are afraid of canning coaches so often they wind up sticking with bad hires now.

Should have kept Chud or Mangini and rode it out. They were having success at various points and then ownership interfered.

Now, when there's a legit bad coach like Hue and Kitchens they stick with them.

• Only hindsight sorts that out. And really, you can't say that Chud or Mangini would have worked out. Mangini is out of the league, and Chud isn't even getting HC interviews to my knowledge. Has Mangini even been discussed as a candidate to run a college program?

• You beat me to it. Nobody saw value in either. That speaks to itself. Mangini or Chud would not be an answer.

• hamster said... (original post) You beat me to it. Nobody saw value in either. That speaks to itself. Mangini or Chud would not be an answer.

I know their are differing opinions, but I hear that Todd Monken has a pretty good rep in some quarters. You know, the guy that Dorsey brought in without consulting Freddie. Sort of like he did bringing in Haley without consulting Hue back in the day?

Speculation: Did the good old Haslams have some influence in "convincing" Dorsey that Freddie was the fellow Southerner he should make HC? Dorsey complied, but grabbed onto Monken as a fall-back plan? He was forced by the Haslams to keep Hue, brought in Haley. Maybe he was "forced" to anoint Freddie, but brought in Monken. Just speculation, as I said...

This post was edited by ergoipso 2 months ago

• Ergolpso - Most said when Monken was hired it would be a one year deal. It was said he would be looked at as a potential HC. So who knows if thats something Dorsey thought of, but I doubt it. Haslam and Dorsey both were aware that it had to work or AGAIN they would look like fools and inept. Kitchens was too much of a stretch to bring in ridicule if busted. I think it was number one for Bakers sake (and Baker advocating for him) they also thought his likability from the players would help bring out the best in them and create cohesion. They thought wrong.....

• hamster said... (original post) Ergolpso - Most said when Monken was hired it would be a one year deal. It was said he would be looked at as a potential HC. So who knows if thats ...

It's very likely was as you describe. Dorsey was the deciding force and independently thought Freddie was the right guy to be HC at that crucial moment. Which leaves him all alone to be judged. We shall see.

But counter-thought: Haslam yet again butted in with "advice" and strongly advocated for Freddie. Even though- on paper- Dorsey was theoretically "independent". A false independence, if you will.

As far as Jim Bob, the "fool and inept" train left the station several years back. So that wasn't a problem regarding him. He might have thought it a master-stroke of genius to keep Baker happy while promoting the good old boy who had done right good for part of one season as the emergency OC.

Dorsey was coming from a different reality, of course. He was being hailed as the savior of the franchise, had some NFL football experience and we couldn't wait to see what he would do next. Dorsey didn't want to ride on the "fool and inept" train with Jim Bob, but he also thought it best to keep the owner-beast happy and feed him raw meat for the moment. So he went along with the Freddie hire- as long as he could also get Monken in the fold just in case. If Freddie flamed out, he'd have to accept "fool and inept" for a bit. But the consolation might then have been to become truly independent from the Haslam "wisdom".

And here we are. The scariest part of this speculation is that Haslam is still getting in the way rather than being a passive owner down in Knoxville like he should be. Just when you thought the coast was clear...

Again, that's all speculation. Until further notice, the cross-hairs are still on Dorsey.

• ergoipso said... (original post) I know their are differing opinions, but I hear that Todd Monken has a pretty good rep in some quarters. You know, the guy that Dorsey brought in ...

SD:

This was my biggest, Yeah Butt for those who insist that Freddie was a Dorsey driven pick.

It was the same backstabbin move he played on Hue , err a Just in case of fire Break Glass.

Whats unfathomable was not seeking big athletic receiving targets for a short QB ,whose current melt has people comparing him to a sawed off Ryan Leaf.

Taking on the contract of the me first tumor out of NY ranks up there with his Corbett draft pick disaster , worse because it's torn the fabric off the seams around this team.

He should have been dealt before the deadline and will certainly have to go this offseason probably dragging Landry along in his wake.

Dorsey's offseason mirrors Freddies play calling and schemes , dumb sumbytch outsmarted himself and got rolled and played by Gettleman losing our safety top lineman and a first round pick for two high priced underperforming cancers ruining team chemistry on both sides of the ball.

>>>>

SoulDawg