Now Landry?

Now Landry?

• Discussion
  • I'm not worried about Landry....he'll be out there busting his **** today.

OBJ, on the other hand, is a mistake that Dorsey needs to correct. His talent will never justify the distractions that he brings to the table.

He's the stereotypical Coach (and QB) killer.

This post was edited by TheDutchman 8 months ago

• TheDutchman said... (original post) I'm not worried about Landry....he'll be out there busting his **** today.OBJ, on the other hand, is a mistake that Dorsey needs to c...

I'm worry about any of our key players. OBJ may be a pain at times but he really has been that much of a problem yet. The problem is more on Freddie and Baker. If I were OBJ I'd be pissed too. I came to Cleveland to die (according to many). One with a QB who has an arm but can't get anything too me? Plays are not focusing on me? Plays are predictable. One that already has multiple targets other than me. I'm looking to get paid on my nex contract and I can't show what I'm still capable of doing??? Why not be pissed. Landry is more diciplined and more of a team player but he still (like any in the NFL) wants to get paid, still wants to shine and wants a be part of a real offense. This tells me he is starting to boil over.

Before the draft EVERYONE wanted another WR. We got a great one. Now people are pissed because the one we got wants the ball??? Expectations and investment warrents it. Now, Did we need it or should i say could we handle it? Maybe not or maybe Freddie is just to lame to use him correctly him. Maybe Dorsey actually thought Freddie was smart enough to use a top WR. So before I lay it all on OBJ or Dorsey it might fall mostly on play calling and design because thats where it starts.

• From Ian Rappaport at NFL.com:

"Beckham has been playing through a serious and often painful sports hernia injury, sources say, one that will necessitate surgery in the offseason. He hasn't missed a game yet, but he has been battling.

The ailment robs him of practice time and is one of the main culprits as to why Beckham and quarterback Baker Mayfield aren't always on the same page."

OBJ missed all the OTA's and did not play in a single exhibition game. He missed a lot of practice in TC and it sounds like that is continuing in-season. He says he's just trying to be ready on Sundays.

Combine all that missed practice with a new quarterback, a bad offensive line, and dysfunctional scheme design and play calling and this is what you get. It's amazing he should still have a 1,000 yard season, although that's only 62 yards per game. I respect him for answering the bell every Sunday despite having a sports hernia.

If he gets if fixed after the season and is 100% going into next year then he should be much more of a factor, especially if Dorsey can get the coaches on the same page and fix the pass protection.

"There’s a disconnect between offensive coordinator Todd Monken..and Kitchens, who calls the plays on game day with input from Monken, quarterbacks coach Ryan Lindley, and some say even inactive quarterback Drew Stanton." - MKC

Fix the disconnect, either by firing one of them or turning over the offense to Monken lock, stock and barrel. Fix the offensive line, where we have three starters who should not be starting. And get OBJ healthy. That should fix what's wrong with the offense.

• hamster said... (original post) I'm worry about any of our key players. OBJ may be a pain at times but he really has been that much of a problem yet. The problem is more on F...

"Dorsey actually thought Freddie was smart enough to use a top WR. So before I lay it all on OBJ or Dorsey it might fall mostly on play calling and design because thats where it starts."

-- But it all circles back to the GM who thought it was a brilliant idea to elevate Freddie to HC. You know, the guy all those other GMs never even made a OC...

We can leave OBJ out of all this. He's just a very talented guy who a good coach uses as effectively as possible and ignores any woe-be-gone drama coming from him. (Actually, he might do well with a coach like BB.)

• E
    But it all circles back to the GM who thought it was a brilliant idea to elevate Freddie to HC. You know, the guy all those other GMs never even made a OC...

H
    As we should have all learned from the past, is its not always 'that easy'. As usual we don't know how much Jimmy was involved. We don't know how much Baker chimed in. Also, just like drafting players, you don't have crystal balls given before hand. To think a coach who showed success, gelled with your new franchise QB, given credit for getting the most out of him. Then that coach demands to be the HC or else. Yeah, pleanty of Gms might bit. We as fans sure as hell did. Dorsey gives him a real OC but now can't or should I say WON"T get a premier Wr the ball. Didn't Dorsy try to help his potential deficency? The good ole boy routine from Freddie seemed to go right out the window once the job went to him. From what we are hearing Freddie is making Hue look humble. Yeah a measure of blame falls on Dorsey but gambles take place all the time in the NFL. Can you imagine what would have happen had we got a known HC who didn't gell with Baker and things went south? Oh, and that too happens all the time. It is what it is now and it mostly falls on Freddie.

This post was edited by hamster 8 months ago

• Sounds like everybody's favorite WR has spent most of the season trying to whine his way out of Cleveland....hopefully, Dorsey will accommodate him at his earliest convenience.

"According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, Beckham hasn't been trying to hide the fact that he wants out of Cleveland. Apparently, the Browns receiver has been going up to opposing coaches before games and telling them to "'come get me, come get me.'" According to Glazer, Beckham also also been saying the same thing to other players."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/odell-beckham-has-reportedly-told-players-and-coaches-on-other-teams-that-he-wants-wants-out-of-cleveland/

• TheDutchman said... (original post) Sounds like everybody's favorite WR has spent most of the season trying to whine his way out of Cleveland....hopefully, Dorsey will accomm...

SD:

If he really doesn't want to be here.

Really not a problem as this suspected disconnect gets a little light.

Browns can use him to get some LT help in trade and conversely draft a young taller fast receiving target for Baker who will give us at minimum $60 ,000.00 in in future cap relief at the same time for that position.

The salaries for Trent and OBJ more than offset each other , and puts more allocated funding at Oline instead of having it as now, presently out of sorts ,at $200 million in receiver outlays, when you factor Landry's salary.

>>>>

SoulDawg

• I was one of the few people who said this trade was stupid... I also said the Zeitler Trade was Stupid. I said the Corbertt pick was a horrible pick. So far Dorsey has left a lot to be desired. Greedy, Wilson and even Ward are looking pedestrian.

• TheDutchman said... (original post) Sounds like everybody's favorite WR has spent most of the season trying to whine his way out of Cleveland....hopefully, Dorsey will accomm...

I'm not that down on Beckham. It's obvious he's been hurt all year. I think I wrote somewhere that it was clear both his quick twitch and top gear weren't quite there this season. I wouldn't toss him just yet. Being an integral part of a winning team will smooth him out. Frnakly, had we figured out how to utilize him better this season, we might have had that winning team.

What bothers me is that we haven't been able to scheme any easy pitch and catch routes to get him the ball on the move in space. Or that he and Mayfiled may be having some personal issues. Mayfield shoudl be tight with all the guys who catch. All the offense in fact. The other thing that I don't like is that there seems to be a dumb collection of doghouses on this team. Higgins, Avery, Fells, Charles, WTF? We're not nearly good enough to discard talent on anybody's tender emotions or coaches' hubris. It feels like common sense has been replaced by weird office politics, and both coaches and players acting like children.

All the sunny feeling from the end of last year has dissipated into this gloomy overcast day. Even when they win it feels disappointing.

I can't even say if everything I just wrote makes sense. I'm a Browns fan for many years, and by the end of most years, I'm exhausted and tired of trying to make sense of the mess and form well reasoned, rational takes. I'm just a emotional puddle, a tween girl who just lost another boyfriend to a better looking divisional foe, this time the one with the purple shirts. LOL, f'''k my life.

This post was edited by Gameface64 8 months ago

• Gameface64 said... (original post) I'm not that down on Beckham. It's obvious he's been hurt all year. I think I wrote somewhere that it was clear both his quick tw...

"All the sunny feeling from the end of last year has dissipated into this gloomy overcast day. Even when they win it feels disappointing."

-- I think many of us feel that way to a degree. Which is a shame given the hope that was generally felt after going 7-8-1 and seeming to have found a FQB and blessed with a wonderful haul from the fruits that the Browns had inherited from a prior regime and we had the Hue-monkey off our back and we couldn't wait to see the next wonderful surprise that the infallible Dorsey was going to unveil as we marched triumphantly to the SB in a year or two.

And now it feels like maybe- just maybe- Dorsey hasn't done all that well after a fine start that had us all convinced he was a god. We're wondering if our GM is really even half-way doing a good job. Oh, we're okay. We're not complete crap. It's just a feeling that a golden opportunity to take the next big step forward was miscalculated.

We'll finish out the season. Another off-season will begin. It won't have the excitement level that last year had, but perhaps the powers that be will be older and wiser now. Perhaps.

• Yeah, well, I went outside, stood in the cold, took a deep breath, and swallowed another season's disappointment. All better now, heh.

I'm okay with Dorsey. As I wrote in response to Poppa, he's 10 levels above any GM we've had since the return. The bickering in Berea among the actual workers is disconcerting. Removing Dorsey won't fix that stupidity. Maybe a stronger, no nonsense coach can get everyone rowing the boat in unison. And maybe certain toxic people need to be kicked overboard. Maybe Dutch is right, Beckham might be one of them, I really can't say. Even Mayfield needs to wise up and shut up with some of his comments, they're not helping.

Three games really broke this season. Losing to Denver coming out of the bye was inexcusable, I put that game on Wilks for not pressuring Brandon Allen. The other two would be the nonsense around both Pittsburgh games. Win those two loses and we'd be 8-5 with a clear path to 10-6 and a satisfying season. Especially considering the murderer's row of a schedule in the first half. Two winnable games, and we simply couldn't focus well enough to take that low hanging fruit.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Yeah, well, I went outside, stood in the cold, took a deep breath, and swallowed another season's disappointment. All better now, heh. I&#x...

SD:

Don't forget the litany of errors vs Seattle where we outplayed them shot off both our toes while the zebras kicked us in the nuts.

Nevermind showing Baltimore the Blueprint to beat NE while operating as Santa gifting them enough turnovers to win that game.

If they weren't so but head cocky and arrogantly stupid Karma would have been much kinder ,and she's a ******.

I brought up trading Beckham before the deadline ,the disconnect between he and Baker earlier , didn't make any more sense then , than now .

The dynamic of Jarvis and OBJ took the helm from Baker and steered it thru the receiver room.

Perriman was the better deep threat target for our shorty ,whose lack of work this offseason killed this season chances as much as anything.

The inbred loss was the killa dilla .

Means the Browns have to win every game while the inbred must lose two, I was the ugliest cheerleader as a Cardinal fan yesterday.

Didn't help

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• The sad part is OBJ seems to be a pretty good guy off the field....lot of stories of how good he is with the kids away from the cameras. But, he just can't help himself on the field....unlike Gordon and Callaway, who couldn't stay off the peace pipe, OBJ's drug of choice is adulation....he's gotta be the show, or he's not gonna be a happy camper.

He really hasn't been happy since he got here....Cleveland just isn't his bag....he needs the bright lights. He stalked off the field again yesterday, shaking his head, when Baker missed him breaking open deep and took the underneath route instead. I think the last thing Baker needs is to spend another year worrying about appeasing OBJ.

Baker's got his own problems....he's just not the same guy we saw last year....hang it on Freddie if you want to...he's an easy target nowadays. But, he's not the guy missing open receivers and easy throws time and time again....plus, he just doesn't look calm in the pocket....a mite jittery as old Carl from Sling Blade used to say. Maybe, it's just the OL and his lack of confidence in them...but, something is amiss.

• Obviously...not practicing a physical skill requiring mutual cognition, mutual anticipation, mutual timing, mutual tempo and precise route running ...does not bode well for becoming the QB's primary target on Sundays.

What part of "not practicing" would make anyone think Mayfield and OBJ could develop much synergy at all...let alone the amount required to produce results remotely close to say...Brady and "'the wee one"?

Like Vinnie the man said..."only perfect practice makes perfect."

Gotta practice or you get what we see each Sunday...no matter WHO you are, unless of course you are an HOF LT in waiting...otherwise, you need the reps.

• Just to torture myself, I went back and looked at the guys who were available with the 17th pick in this year's draft....the one we sent to the Giants for OBJ....this might drive GF back to his dark place....Lol.

17th pick - Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson. 18th pick - Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State. 19th pick - Jeffery Simmons, DT, Miss State. 20th pick - Noah Fant, TE, Iowa. 21st pick - Darnell Savage, S, Maryland. 22nd pick - Andre Dillard, OT, Wash State.

Opportunity cost. Some pretty solid options there....at positions of need.

• Hey, I'm mister happy go lucky. Really. {sob}

• I dont see obj being traded. He’s always been made of glass, but i’ve never seen him look this terrible. I want to believe he gets healthy and next year he takes names, but what you see is what you get. He’s always injured, that wont change. He’s just played through it this year, and im not sure he’s going to overcome his injuries. Eventually you dont get better anymore.

• oasis05 said... (original post) I dont see obj being traded. He’s always been made of glass, but i’ve never seen him look this terrible. I want to believe he gets healthy and next ...

Yeah....hard to say. OBJ knows he can force his way out of town if he so chooses....he's seen other guys do it over the last couple years....and he's not dropping those bread crumbs about not being sure where he'll be next year for nothing.

You'll never recoup your initial investment if you do decide to trade him....but, sometimes you're better off cutting your losses and moving on.

Just have to wait and see how it plays out.