Remember when everybody hated....

Remember when everybody hated....

• .......Dorsey for drafting Chad Thomas? Saw this tweet and went "whaaaaaaat?"

https://twitter.com/MacRobinson95/status/1199009879656140800

• Discussion
  • Yea, I gotta say he was a non-entity for a long while, looked like he was consistently overpowered, and his first start was pretty awful. But he has come around to show he's a worthwhile backup.

At least he's playing up to his status as a third round pick. But like Taki, he needs to bulk up.

• I'm not bragging cause Ive surely liked a few guys over the years that didnt pan out, but I remember seeing a few Hurricanes games and like what I saw of Chad. I thought at the time it was a good pick.
    Very glad to see his progress. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned from this....

• Vaark said... (original post) Yea, I gotta say he was a non-entity for a long while, looked like he was consistently overpowered, and his first start was pretty awful. But he has ...

Are you saying his ceiling is as a worthwhile backup?

• yogi8 said... (original post) I'm not bragging cause Ive surely liked a few guys over the years that didnt pan out, but I remember seeing a few Hurricanes games and like what ...

SD:

I liked what I saw in his play at Miami and saw value in his choice as a 3rd ,Suspect Gregg Ogbah and team dynamics retarded some of his growth , not surprised he needed weight room work .

Florida teams are notoriously weak in that regard relying more on speed .

Erving came off a NationalChampionship team and was a physical disgrace compared to Big Ten players .

Had a nephew came off that team as Cam's backup ,he transferred to Toledo with the last of his eligibility as Hunt's teammate and at that level the weight program was miles beyond anything they did at Florida State.

Beefed up and strengthened up he signed in late run with the Hamilton Calgary Stampeders When they made a run and later got kicked around on the practice squads of Miami Dallas and gag cough spit ,the inbred ,and actually played in three games for Miami.

Good Kid, But at 6'5" and 305 lbs he still looked like a DE ,instead of a moving van.

Cox at 25 making noise now is a case in point ,almost how offensive lineman develop late in this league after kicking around at several teams .

With the Browns finally having depth it allowed for Thomas to sit and mature, he seems to be coming around whereas Corbett didn't .

With Garret out it couldn't come at a better time .

>>>>

SoulDawg

This post was edited by SoulDawg74 1 month ago

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Are you saying his ceiling is as a worthwhile backup?

Yes, unless he can seriously bulk up and improve on his leverage.

• Vaark said... (original post) Yes, unless he can seriously bulk up and improve on his leverage.

You're so Missouri. With the Browns history, it's the chalk bet, but sometimes you're a little slow to see the potential of no-name players. Like the Browns themselves.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) You're so Missouri. With the Browns history, it's the chalk bet, but sometimes you're a little slow to see the potential of no-na...

So I wrote "But he has come around to show he's a worthwhile backup," but now I'm admonished for not believing he can replace the salary that is Vernon and be an impact starter?

Better Missouri than Itchycoo Park.

At least he's playing up to his status as a third round pick.

• Itchycoo Park, made me laugh. I don't admonish, just teasing you for being reluctant to get excited about second level players. If you're watching the 49ers at all, you'll see K'wuan Williams is their slot corner. It'd be nice if the Browns did a little better job identifying / being patient with low end of the roster talent. (Williams, Pierre Desire, Jordan Poyer, Bademosi, Taylor Garbriel, Willie Snead, etc)

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Itchycoo Park, made me laugh. I don't admonish, just teasing you for being reluctant to get excited about second level players. If you'...

I stopped getting excited about castoffs who found new life elsewhere when the Browns were taking other teams castoffs and getting production out of them. It happens.

Take Carl Nassib. Didn't want to see him go, but I think the brain trust didn't see him as that great a fit. He's doing better elsewhere, but it didn't necessarily mean that he would have provided the same production here.

And earlier this season, some Oakland fans could have been moaning over Pharoah Sanders Brown while Jets fans asked why Burris got away to Cleveland.

We'll go through the Devaroe Lawrence cycle before the end of the season.

Some team will pick him up.

He'll get two sacks in a game.

Hem, haw, sturm drang, rending of garments.

Then he'll get released in January because he's bad news.

• Some teams are better are filling out their rosters than others. Maybe they're better at scouting, maybe they're better at coaching, but when the inevitable next man up situation arises, some teams weather the loss better than others. Considering the lack of talent on the Browns the last two decades. being smarter in this area might have saved a lot of heartache, so I don't find it such a inconsequential exercise, and I don't necessarily think he all evens out in the wash.