Sanity on the Garret case from an Appalachain writer no less

Sanity on the Garret case from an Appalachain writer no less

• On the eve of the appeal.

Straight Cash Homey ,

Shows how useless Cleveland media really is , when a rival sports writer has to bring the fire and the truth .

https://triblive.com/sports/john-steigerwald-steelers-qb-rudolph-shouldnt-get-off-so-easily-in-garrett-fight/

>>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Discussion
  • Great take. Look at the still pictures, Garrett standing there semi-calm and Rudolph coming at him frothing at the mouth, red-faced and enraged. Good job though, he won't have to deal with Garrett harassing him in the pocket again this year, so it's a win for him.

• The only objective take I've read by a member of the media. Even our own are rushing to hang Garrett.

• Sorry Soul, don't agree. Garret's helmet swing is what peewee coaches deal with at times. By junior high that kind of stunt is not accepted and consideration for season-ending for the childish kid who does it. Never see that in high school or college.

My point is that Garret has the emotional maturity of a 7th grader, if even. He's got by on sheer physicality his whole life and never been pushed to grow up emotionally. I doubt his poetry and art classes at A&M much helped in that regard either.

Kitchen has his work cut out for him with his little MVP (Most Valuable Poet).

I say trade him for a top ranked Safety or a daft pick.

• Warner62 said... (original post) Sorry Soul, don't agree. Garret's helmet swing is what peewee coaches deal with at times. By junior high that kind of stunt is not accep...

That's a harsh assessment. I wouldn't trade Garrett, and I doubt very much the Browns will either. I don't think Garrett is especially immature, lots of good NFL players have been coddled, found life to come easily, and haven't grown through adversity. Well, Garrett's got a big dose of hard knocks right now. It seems to me Garrett's been fighting the perception that he's too nice, too soft. That opinion has been reported to have come from his coaches, and we know the fan base thought it too just by things written on this board. Dude was literally being coached to not take any sh"t on the field, to not allow himself to be pushed around.

What I do think is that Garret is intelligent, he's not a lunkhead who can't learn from experience. What I do think is that Garrett's got some serious rage percolating under that cool exterior. Something about Rudolph brought that rage to the surface. Maybe he simply wasn't going to be punked and disrespected by a pretty boy QB and his offensive line bodyguards. He should have just dropped the helmet and sacked Rudolph one more time. Under no circumstance do I give up on Garrett just because there's some snap judgement that's he's not yet a fully formed mature adult, and therefore will never become one.

This post was edited by Gameface64 2 months ago

• Warner62 said... (original post) Sorry Soul, don't agree. Garret's helmet swing is what peewee coaches deal with at times. By junior high that kind of stunt is not accep...

I like your takes Warner but even I don't think the Browns should trade him. He's too valuable.

I know the media is probably clamoring for the Browns to get rid of him so he can immediately go to a star team. I'm being cynical though.

"Kitchen has his work cut out for him with his little MVP (Most Valuable Poet).I say trade him for a top ranked Safety or a daft pick."

-- Come on. Let's give him a chance. I think it's still too early to even consider trading Freddie for a "top ranked Safety or a daft pick". (Can you define "daft", by the way? There have been several NFL players who were very effective even though they were possibly "daft".) Or did you mean Garrett? Hard to tell given the way you phrased it.

I'm thinking you may have a history here that is affecting your POV. That's fine, but it's a factor that anyone judging the situation objectively needs to remember. I believe that Myle's history has no indication of a violent player. While what he did was wrong- and certainly looked extra bad visually on TV to the NFL, no doubt- the entire context of that play needs to be included in any rational evaluation. If that happens, let's just say that Myle's self-defense in reaction to the crazed attack of Rudolph and Pouncey is seen in a slightly different light.

Trade him? Unless we come out the winner- which is hard to believe at the moment- just forget about it. The Browns have far more important things to deal with than Myles. This is a little bump in the road.

SD:

You been pissing and moaning around here about fire and intensity ,and the minute this Mook finally wakes up and shows a pulse you want to dump him.

Mfer Puhleeze .

Not on your Life .

Free Myles Garret .

>>>>

SoulDawg

• Gameface64 said... (original post) That's a harsh assessment. I wouldn't trade Garrett, and I doubt very much the Browns will either. I don't think Garrett is especially immature, ...

Game. " punked and disrespected by a pretty boy qb".? Yes! Now does this incident mark Mason as a target for defensive players throughout the league? I'm thinking no one likes a punk. He might get a little extra.
  • redright said... (original post) Game. " punked and disrespected by a pretty boy qb".? Yes! Now does this incident mark Mason as a target for defensive players throughou...

"I'm thinking no one likes a punk."

-- No matter how things go short-term, I think long-term Garrett will have a much more productive career than Rudolph. And definitely a much better rep around the league.

Side-note: Tomlin announced that his team learned nothing from the experience. I find that easy to believe. Being simple-minded leads to a simple life.

This post was edited by ergoipso 2 months ago

• You build a defense around fire like that. Imagine what a 27 year old Myles Garrett will be like.. He is the ONE guy on this team that is an ALL PRO talent and was on pace for 20 sacks... That's HOF type numbers. He is the best player we have drafted since Joe Thomas. You do not trade that talent away.PERIOD. You teach him to channel that rage.
    Honestly If i am an opposing QB I absolutely terrified of Myles Garrett. He ended that jets QB's career and now he has the crazy eye rep? This guy is turning into our very own LT... I love it.

• mythrand said... (original post) You build a defense around fire like that. Imagine what a 27 year old Myles Garrett will be like.. He is the ONE guy on this team that is an ALL P...

I just fear Haslam will do something beta like pressure Dorsey into trading or releasing him.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) On the eve of the appeal.Straight Cash Homey ,Shows how useless Cleveland media really is , when a rival sports writer has to bring the fire and ...

Garrett got screwed.

Bad day for Browns fans. They didn't even give him a definite #.

Should Garrett retire? I'd be like, "screw it I'm out."

• Soul, the helmet swing shows a childish response -- not fire. The fire I speak of is grit on the grid iron, giving full effort on EVERY play, and intensity that's infectious. MG ain't that and his play don't show that. I"m just flat out not an MG fan. Never will be.

Now that he lost his appeal, I'd seriously inquire of trade possibilities once he's reinstated. He's got good value because many bone-headed people in this league over-value athletic prowess over genuine true grit fire breathing defensive ballers.

I'd give 3 MGs for 1 true Blue-Chip Safety!!!! Game changer the likes the Browns have rarely seen.

Or, is there any more Bosa brothers coming up thru the ranks. Those Bosa's are the fire I speak of.

• Warner62 said... (original post) Soul, the helmet swing shows a childish response -- not fire. The fire I speak of is grit on the grid iron, giving full effort on EVERY play, and ...

SD:

Safety doesn't have comparable value to a DE of Garrets ability , so that position is weak.

Any immaturity issue in regard to Garret will soon be cleaned up after the NFL gets done raping him for over a million in salary with their indefinite horseshit over the top penalty .

There are good safeties in this draft , tOSU alone will send four players on defense into the first round Chase Young and Akudah are the best of the best , while their safety starts tomorrow on this roster .

BTW :

IIRC there is another Bosa somewhere, but right now Chase Young is playing better than a platoon of Bosa's .

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Say what you want about Myles, and many have, but where's the outrage over Pouncy kicking Myles in the head?
    Do you know how easy it is to break someone's neck that way?
    That action was clearly intentional and premeditated. But what does the league do? Reduce his suspension.
    Oh the hypocrisy of it all.

• Warner62 said... (original post) Soul, the helmet swing shows a childish response -- not fire. The fire I speak of is grit on the grid iron, giving full effort on EVERY play, and ...

I may get flamed for it, but I honestly think he'll retire if the suspension remains indefinite through the 2020-21 season. If Rog tells him in February it goes even further (2021-22) season, I could definitely see retirement.

I don't think the Browns will trade him.

Besides he's going to be very successful post-NFL as a paleontologist. I live in Columbus and people I know at OSU were saying he wanted to go there for the paleontology/physical sciences program. He may see football as a means to an end, rather than a passion.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) I may get flamed for it, but I honestly think he'll retire if the suspension remains indefinite through the 2020-21 season. If Rog te...

SD:

Garrett Should sue the NFLPA and the NFL both over this indefinite Horsehit ruling .

There is already a precedent and collectively bargained agreements about on field and off field discretion .

Roger the ****** Mongering Rooney water Boy , violated all tenants of these agreements , and the chicken sheet worthless azz players Union has their head up their Azz.

>>>>>

SoulDawg