The Browns must channel the rage

The Browns must channel the rage

• I think the team is now enraged that Rudolph was allowed to skate and Ogunjobi was suspended for a game. They have to channel that rage. I think they will channel that rage in the next Steelers game.

Freddie has to fan it and control it, not try to tamp it out.

• Discussion
  • Just wondering: have you seen anything from Freddy that gives you confidence that he'll be able to do that?

• Gary Reents said... (original post) I think the team is now enraged that Rudolph was allowed to skate and Ogunjobi was suspended for a game. They have to channel that rage. I thin...

Have you seen any reaction from the players that suggests they are "enraged"?

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Have you seen any reaction from the players that suggests they are "enraged"?

If I was a Brown, I'd be pissed about Ruolph's actions and smarmy post game comments. I'd be pissed in general to lose Garrett for the rest of the year because Rudolph gave him the business and Garrett flipped a sh'''t. This kind of situation can foster an us against the world mentality and make the team tighter and have a more focused edge.

As far as the rivalary, most of the guys on our team only go back a few years. They might have a few seasons of getting punked by Pittsburgh, but lately we got punked by everyfuckingbody. It's the fanbase that carries the baggage of the past, the historical pain, we're the ones geeked up for 20 years of non-stop revenge games.

Where does Freddy fit into all this? I have no opinion because there's not enough information to form one. I will say this, how long have we called our teams soft and wished that they would be more physical, more like the Steelers and Ravens. Be tougher and stand up to getting pushed around, owned in our own stadium, unable to stop the run or keep the bullies from imposing their will and bending us over?

Yeah, a long time.

Coach can't crawl inside a player's head and adjust his temper to the perfect level of aggression. Maybe it's a matter of finding players with the right mix of smart and mean. Garrett, on the surface, should have been that guy. All I know is that I'd rather have a team that err's on the side of too tough than too soft. For all the fall out, Thursday night's game was a revelaton that the Browns aren't Pittsburgh's bitches anymore, and their automatic two notches in the win column per year are no longer a given.

This post was edited by Gameface64 2 months ago

• EMDE8652 said... (original post) Just wondering: have you seen anything from Freddy that gives you confidence that he'll be able to do that?

I'll tell you what I see, I see a Freddie coached team that kicked the s*** out of both the rats and inbred.

• Gary Reents said... (original post) I think the team is now enraged that Rudolph was allowed to skate and Ogunjobi was suspended for a game. They have to channel that rage. I thin...

I think they just need to score 24. The Brown's had the proper perspective after the game. What Garrett did was well past the line, and the Browns seemed to understand, accept, and talk about that rather than giving platitudes or pointing fingers at the Steelers for starting it.

The Steelers on the other hand, are going to be furious. They were humiliated on national TV for 59:52, so they're going to latch on to the last 8 seconds as a rallying cry. That makes sense, but it also means approaching the game from an angry perspective. So they're the ones that will have to channel it, but they're at a disadvantage from two levels. First, their QB completely lost his composure at the end of the game himself prior to the incident - not absolving Garrett's actions at all - but it means he's probably not the one to truly lead the team forward through the game. Second, they're really not very good. The defense is, but that offense was very, well, Browns-like circa every year STR that wasn't last year or 2007. I don't expect 4 picks again, but there's nothing on that side of the field that makes me believe they'll put anymore than 14 points on the board, and that's assumes the defense will set them up well for a couple of drives. Since they're not that good, they're going to be hyped up and playing angry, which doesn't usually go well for a team that isn't good. More penalties, more overthrown balls, more dancing and showing up the defense when they do make a play rather than getting back to the huddle so they actually have time to think about the next play.

The Browns just need to stay calm and focused, and get 24. That beats the 14 Pitt's O can put up, and the potential defensive TD that the Steelers are capable of scoring on anyone. Stay cool, don't get drawn into all the fights and taunts and whatever else will be coming from the Steelers side, and find a way to finish 3 and half drives. Go home with the first season sweep since 1988.

• No question the best thing the team can do is come home with a win. Having said that, there's no way the striped shirts allow that to happen. Everyone knows you can call a penalty on every play, and they will if necessary to insure a stooler win.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) No question the best thing the team can do is come home with a win. Having said that, there's no way the striped shirts allow that to happen...

SD :

Make em throw the flag

If they are gonna screw us make the shots count .

Don’t lighten up tighten up

F ckm

• The Browns just need to stay calm and focused, and get 24. That beats the 14 Pitt's O can put up, and the potential defensive TD that the Steelers are capable of scoring on anyone.

The Browns need to avoid allowing a defensive TD if they want to win. I agree the Browns need to stay calm and focused, but the same is true for Pittsburgh. They need a win and can't afford to have a crucial drive stopped because of a dumb personal foul or a taunting penalty after a big gain. They can't afford to extend a Browns drive on a stupid roughing the passer penalty because they want to take a cheap shot at Baker.

I assume the refs will be quick to throw flags for taunting or late hits. They'll want to keep the game under control. The fans will be fired up but I think the players on both sides will be focused on winning the game. Nobody wants to be fined or suspended.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The Browns just need to stay calm and focused, and get 24. That beats the 14 Pitt's O can put up, and the potential defensive TD that the S...

SD

Rivalry is back Mr Prosecutor

Expect that filth to be at their cheapshotting best .

Refs will try and give it to them , we have to beat them both .

It will be us vs the world for the rest of the season and we can’t take prisoners .

Nobody is gonna slide down and make room at the table the Browns have to kick somebody out of their seat and claim that space.

Haynesworth got Five games Garret should get only four because his wasn’t Pre-meditated it was in the heat of the moment .

They already have a schedule of fines and suspensions for using the helmet as a weapon and it’s one game not some indefinite arbitrary FCk the Browns extra BS

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• A Browns win would have the look of karma that the league won't allow. If ever the league engaged in "fixing" games, this one is in the bag. Zero chance the team return with a win.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The Browns just need to stay calm and focused, and get 24. That beats the 14 Pitt's O can put up, and the potential defensive TD that the Steele...

Oh, clearly both teams need to be calm and cool. We agree there. My point is that the Browns are the team less likely to have a reason to come in hot and lose their cool. They seemed contrite and understood that the situation was over the line. They might be a little annoyed by Rudolph's, dare we say, bush league behavior during and after the game, but neither of those things were enough that the team will be stewing for two weeks just waiting to show them what's what. The Steelers, on the other hand, are in exactly that position. They have the revenge motive of protecting their QB as well as the humiliation on national TV of getting destroyed by the Browns, who even lost to Landry Jones, and looking bad doing it. My only point is that if any team is going to have the type of emotion that can spill over into overly aggressive penalties and other extracurriculars, it's the Steelers. The Browns need to focus on not being drawn into that - for which they don't have a great track record so far this year - but if they do, I don't really see a way that the Steelers beat the November edition of the Browns.
  • poppa9601 said... (original post) A Browns win would have the look of karma that the league won't allow. If ever the league engaged in "fixing" games, this one is i...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4J73XNlnI

Donovan thinks nothing big will come of tomorrow's appeal hearing.

So it may be indefinite, as Goodell wants.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4J73XNlnIDonovan thinks nothing big will come of tomorrow's appeal hearing.So it may be indefinite, as G...

There's word going around that the CBA doesn't allow for indefinite suspensions for on-field incidents. With there being time left on the clock and each team taking a snap, no one can argue this wasn't on-field. At least not credibly. I don't know the CBA well enough (or, you know, at all) to say how true that is, but if so, it poses some additional risk. It's not too hard to see a scenario where it would have been 6 games, and then reinstatement for the season, but being backed into a corner, they define the suspension as 8 or even 12 (16?) games. They send their message, and Garrett is out of appeals.

I guess we'll know soon enough.
  • DSkribes said... (original post) There's word going around that the CBA doesn't allow for indefinite suspensions for on-field incidents. With there being time left on th...

If they set it at 12-16 that's Goodell flexing his muscles at the weak union and proving he can do what he wants. There's no check/balance against him. I think he's pissed the Browns blew the door off the Steelers and this is an opportune way to stick it to us again.

6 with reinstatement for '20 is reasonable.

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) If they set it at 12-16 that's Goodell flexing his muscles at the weak union and proving he can do what he wants. There's no che...

SD:

Haynes worth got 4 for a premeditated attack.

Garret gets more than four he should sue the NFL and the Players Union both .

>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Times have changed, even since Haynesworth. NFL wants to be less no holds barred and more Disney nice.

• Gameface64 said... (original post) Times have changed, even since Haynesworth. NFL wants to be less no holds barred and more Disney nice.

SD:

Only so long as its the inbred ear holing us and not the other way around .

Time to break the shackles we've been wearing since 1999.

By Any means Necessary.

>>>>>

WAR : FREE MYLES GARRET

SoulDawg

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Haynes worth got 4 for a premeditated attack.Garret gets more than four he should sue the NFL and the Players Union both .>>>>>...

This is what I'm talking about^^^. This stink has many layers, one being it's excessive and against the CBA. The second is it has racial overtones, as only the black players were suspended and not the white instigator.

I don't know much but I do know this, the league doesn't want this in a court of law. If I'm Myles I've already let it be known that will be my recourse if my appeal fails.

I say it gets reduced to 4 games.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Only so long as its the inbred ear holing us and not the other way around .Time to break the shackles we've been wearing since 1999.By A...

FREE MYLES GARRETT??? That's some funny s*** right there Dawg. You hate Myles, but then after all he is a Brown.

Still, it's funny to hear that coming from you. Haha.

I completely agree however, FREE MYLES GARRETT.

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post) SD:Haynes worth got 4 for a premeditated attack.Garret gets more than four he should sue the NFL and the Players Union both .>>>>>...

Hope you are right Soul.

My fear is if they push the commissioner he'll screw us more. The CBA and union seem weak.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) This is what I'm talking about^^^. This stink has many layers, one being it's excessive and against the CBA. The second is it has racia...

Yes, if I'm Myles I want this to go to the courts--that would really help them big-time, cause then in discovery phase...

• kosartoslaughter said... (original post) Yes, if I'm Myles I want this to go to the courts--that would really help them big-time, cause then in discovery phase...

I'm not sure that's what Myles- or his agent- in fact want. The ideal and rational is if it's 4 games. But if not, I'm not sure Myles wants to prolong it and have it in the public eye more than it's already been. (Thanks TV and thanks Joe Buck for your hysterical sound-bite...)

However, if there's really an objective viewing of the tape, it can be argued that Myles was acting in self-defense when he swung the helmet as he was being assaulted by 2 large and angry attackers. And one of the attackers started the insanity by trying to rip off Myles' helmet and kicking him in the groin while lying on the ground. (Not unlike a little kid who has been naughty but doesn't want to have a time-out. 4 picks in a loss equals "naughty". So I see Rudolph's motivation...).

But I think it would be best in the long-term for the Browns if we just get this behind us as soon as possible.

• Ogi's 1 game was upheld but they reduced the fine. BS.

Still Rudolph has got nothing so far.

The nfl is crap. Why watch?

Because we love football?

• ergoipso said... (original post) I'm not sure that's what Myles- or his agent- in fact want. The ideal and rational is if it's 4 games. But if not, I'm not sur...

That's just it E, unless we change the narrative it's never going to be behind us. As it stands now, the narrative would have everyone believe Garrett drove Rudolph into the ground on a late hit, ripped off his helmet and commenced to beat him over the head with it. All without cause.

If I'm Myles Garrett, or Jimmy Haslam for that matter, I'm not satisfied with just a reduction in the suspension. Mason Rudolph will have to accept responsibility for his part in starting the melee.

This is a ugly stain is not only on Myles, but the Browns organization itself. It could cost Myles a spot in the HOF and reduce the entire value of the team. I as either Garrett or Haslam wouldn't stand for that.

And If JH3 isn't making this clear to Goodell and the league office, then he's a pu**y steeler bytch.

• poppa9601 said... (original post) That's just it E, unless we change the narrative it's never going to be behind us. As it stands now, the narrative would have everyone ...

I agree with everything you say. And I hope it was pointed out- calmly pointed out- at his hearing. It should have been stated- at the hearing behind closed doors- that Myles had provocation for how he over-reacted and that fact should be factored in to any suspension finally decided on. But all that should be done on the down-low. There should be nothing from Myles or the Browns PUBLICLY that serves to prolong this incident and gives the media the chance to paint the team as an unrepentant mob of hooligans. (An example of that is Deflategate. If the Pats had kept their mouths shut, the incident would have been over and done with fairly quietly. Instead it dragged on and they ended up with the same penalty they had in the first place. Which they deserved, btw.)

Already- and apparently on their own- there are a few media types who have pointed out the entire context of the situation and how Myles did not act alone. They are slow and uncertain, but at times the media actually gets things right eventually. But Myles needs to stay out of it. The more he claims provocation, the more he'll be painted as a crazed villain who attacked Rudolph for no reason. He opens his mouth, bad things will happen. He keeps quiet and lets others talk, good things may happen.