Tin Cup

Tin Cup

• Everyone has seen the movie 'Tin Cup' and his infamous 12, but I can't help thinking that we are watching our own version of Roy McAvoy coaching the Browns week in and out. If there was ever a Coach, who was going to 'Go for it' Freddie Kitchen's is your guy. I turn on the TV each week to see what kind of ***** storm he is going to brew and what in-game decisions he is going to make that will make a game that shouldn't be interesting... interesting. I keep thinking I like this guy's attitude, but I know deep down that its only a matter of time. How many of you were thinking, 'Oh God, he is going to go for it again' when it was 4th, and 1 and our RT made the play of the game by getting a penalty for a false start (raising my hand)? How many of you thought throwing the ball deep 2 times in a row when there is a 1min plus left in the half yesterday was going to come back and bite him in the **** (raising my hand). Freddie doesn't know how to dial it back and play it safe. It's not in his DNA. He is going to be aggressive no matter what, and if he is burnt on it, he is going to double down just to prove he can do it. I was hoping to see some humility and growth this season out of Freddie. I expected some bad decisions and some awkwardness in play calls but the aggressive nature of his style of football is just too self destructive for me. I hope this season will teach him some humility, but I think Freddie will always revert back to his nature, and I just can't see that being a good thing for this team no matter who is playing for him.

• Discussion
  • mythrand said... (original post) Everyone has seen the movie 'Tin Cup' and his infamous 12, but I can't help thinking that we are watching our own version of Roy Mc...

"I expected some bad decisions and some awkwardness in play calls but the aggressive nature of his style of football is just too self destructive for me. I hope this season will teach him some humility, but I think Freddie will always revert back to his nature, and I just can't see that being a good thing for this team no matter who is playing for him."

-- Though we don't like many of the things we see as games unfold, none of us here in the peanut gallery really have the inside knowledge to make a final call on that at this point. But here's a question: Shouldn't an experienced GM have seen this kind of thing as a red flag when evaluating Freddie as a rookie HC?

Strong attitude= good. Letting attitude take away your ability to adjust as needed= bad. Still unsure how things will end up with Freddie. But he's not the only one who needs to be evaluated this off-season.

• mythrand said... (original post) Everyone has seen the movie 'Tin Cup' and his infamous 12, but I can't help thinking that we are watching our own version of Roy Mc...

I'm not sure those two incomplete passes affected anything. Sure, they stopped the clock and the Steelers got the ball with 1:48 to go on their own 31. They went 69 yards in 48 seconds to score with a minute left. If the Browns just ran the ball three times and punted I think there would have been enough time for the Steelers to score, especially since they would have called time outs.

The problem was letting them complete a 28-yard pass followed by a 30-yard pass into the end zone.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I'm not sure those two incomplete passes affected anything. Sure, they stopped the clock and the Steelers got the ball with 1:48 to go on t...

SD:

Getting past the scenario where the runs probably pickup the first downs or at least advance field position .

Had the inbred had the balls to call timeouts with their third string QB while the Browns were only 30 yards away from FG range rather than wanting the clock to expire under their 3rd string QB knowing they had the opening frame in the 3rd .

Its a much more frantic situation for a rookie in his second or third game to mount a scoring drive end of the half with no timeouts .

What the Browns did when Freddy lost his mind and his cool and comportment and effectively the game by airing it out with those long incompletions , was set up the other team perfectly to steal the momentum , while reducing his own chances to score significantly with low percentage panicked bombs.

That defense was gassed and by moving the sticks and converting first downs they were primed to break , at minimum we play keep away the rest of the half and go into the locker with the lead on the road at a venue we hadn't won at, in the last 15 trips .

But instead he stupidly gacked up the ball, his lead and the game as they completed a run of 20 straight unanswered points before we woke back up from the canvas and tried to recover from being cold cocked.

At this point Freddy is just a big Fat Frat Boy doing it his way .

He's less mature than the players and its a small wonder they take their lead and feed from that stupidity .

F ckn fool thinks he's a rock star , pulling that dumb azz T shirt move .

That crap only flies when you're winning , Its a big bag of coffin nails while the undertaker measures you out when you lose.

Just Dumb .

Freddy's stupid good ole boy act , has worn its way out .

Losing games you should win because you can't adjust and find answers will do that .

>>>>>>

SoulDawg

• Simply put, Freddie doesn't know how to win!

• redright said... (original post) Simply put, Freddie doesn't know how to win!

Tomlin does.

I'd sell my first-born for a coach like Tomlin. He knows how to win UGLY and knows how to make adjustments.

We haven't had a coach like that since Marty.

I could see the Steelers, despite injuries and a bad O, getting to 10-6 and making the Dance.

This post was edited by kosartoslaughter 1 month ago

• They have the Cards and Jets, so 9-7 shouldn't be a problem. Can they beat the Bills? We did. That would get them 10. My question is how will Harbaugh play the last game if the Ravens have the top seed locked up? Does he let his starters take the week off or does he want to keep the ball rolling AND stick it to a team they hate?

That's funny. Couple games back I thought the Browns should have given Harrison a game ball for jumping offsides down in the redzone, because sure as hell Freddie was going to go for it on fourth down. They needed to come away with something to put the odds of the win definitively on their sides.

Freddie is aggressive to the point of being stupid at times.