Combine stuff

Combine stuff

• Discussion
  • Tua is shorter than Baker at 6’.

Claypool is huge at 6’ 4 1/4 238 with 9 7/8” hands.

Burrow with 9” hands.

KJ Hill has alligator arms.

Kmet and Trautman are prototypes. 40s and drills could be the difference who goes first.

Ruggs has large hands to go along with mebbe 4.2 speed

This post was edited by marktroy 10 months ago

• Some big tackles in this draft. Andrew Thomas stands out with the longest arms and wingspan among the top guys, even over Becton and his freakish measurables.

Mekhi Becton

Height: 6-7 3/8 Weight: 364 Hand: 10 6/8 Arm: 35 5/8 Wingspan: 83 2/8

Austin Jackson

Height: 6-4 7/8 Weight: 322 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 34 1/8 Wingspan: 82

Joshua Jones

Height: 6-5 Weight: 319 Hand: 10 1/8 Arm: 33 7/8 Wingspan: 79

Andrew Thomas

Height: 6-5 1/8 Weight: 315 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 36 1/8 Wingspan: 83 4/8

Jedrick Wills

Height: 6-4 2/8 Weight: 312 Hand: 10 Arm: 34 2/8 Wingspan: 83

Tristan Wirfs

Height: 6-4 7/8 Weight: 320 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 34 Wingspan: 80 2/8

• ItsOID said... (original post)Some big tackles in this draft. Andrew Thomas stands out with the longest arms and wingspan among the top guys, even over Becton and his freakish mea...

Wills has nice wingspan...to go with his "junk yard dog" mentality.

Wirfs, Jackson and Wills...make the possibility of trading back...from ten OR, going up from ten ...then back up into the late first early second to first,... acquire a high profile defender and then a developmental OL asset...a possibility.

Both lines need more quality players in the ground game and the passing game.

Quality, athletically dominant, interior big men with quickness on defense can impact games from day one ...because they are breathing their foul breath right in the QB's face!

OL take longer to develop and have less direct impact on outcomes but, once they are integrated into an OL, the sum of the parts is greater than the the individual because...a dominant, synchronized OL, aided and abetted by their peripheral helpers at TE, FB, Hybrid TE's and WR positions can take over portions of football games...thereby neutralizing great defenders.

Three often denigrated, Cleveburg OL rejects...working as part of the Chiefs OL helped KC win the 2019 Super Bowl against a dominating 49ers defense.

In 2019, the Nick Bosa led 49er D was dominating but, Mahomes and the KC OL was ultimately victorious.

This post was edited by mortdogsr 10 months ago

• PFF has OT Ezra Cleveland as one of the Combine's "biggest risers". Here is their comment:

"Cleveland has had three straight seasons of 80.0-plus pass-blocking grades at Boise State, but the level of competition and how he fared against better pass-rushers was a concern. With his elite movement skills testing though, he proved he has all the mirror ability you could want in the NFL. Cleveland led all offensive linemen in the short shuttle (4.46) and three-cone (7.26) over the weekend. The history of tackles that test at that level in those drills is very encouraging."

I could see the Browns trading down from #10 and taking Cleveland in the middle of the first round and picking up an extra pick or two.

Tristen Wirfs made their "checked the box" category, probably because he was already ranked very high.

"The first box ticked was Wirfs’ 34-inch arms. The second was him setting the combine records with a 36.5” vertical and 10-1 broad jump. The finale was a strong 7.65 three-cone and 4.68 shuttle that firmly planted him as one of the top tackles in the class."

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 10 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post)PFF has OT Ezra Cleveland as one of the Combine's "biggest risers". Here is their comment:"Cleveland has had three straight s...

My concern about Ezra is I think he is a bit soft when it comes to the run game.

• PFF's draft guide has Ezra Cleveland as the #103 ranked player and a 4th round pick. I don't know why they publish it before the combine, I guess it is their view of the player purely from their college tape.

• ItsOID said... (original post)PFF's draft guide has Ezra Cleveland as the #103 ranked player and a 4th round pick. I don't know why they publish it before the combine, I ...

Have you seen their post-combine mocks and commentary on Youtube? Cleveland is now solidly in their 1st round selections. The commentary is that his performance in the change of direction drills correlates very well with performance at the NFL level. Add to that point the fact that he is a great fit for the scheme the Browns are installing.

Next to Wirfs, Cleveland is probably THE best OT fit for the Browns in this draft.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post)PFF has OT Ezra Cleveland as one of the Combine's "biggest risers". Here is their comment:"Cleveland has had three straight s...

He is very clearly...capable of being a guy who can lead, follow and NOT get out of the way; running that wide zone blocking was part of a Joe Thomas discussion yesterday. Joe said that in his perception:

Running those plays requires each OL to take a drop step, square his shoulders and then run (somewhat diagonally) up a railroad track...not allowing anyone to knock him off the track to the sideline; all of the pulling, blockers need to move in a synchronized manner and doing so, then allows the running back to pick his spot to head up the field and not make a cut too early because, the later the RB can make his first cut, the wider the lane he creates to run in and the more yardage he can cover before the pursuit angles intersect with him.

Joe also discussed the fact that the Mike Shanahan (Kubiak) lines often featured smaller, more athletic linemen...say 275 to 290 pounds....because that staff felt those guys were less inclined to be injured as often due to constantly having to perform cut blocks and spending a lot of reps hitting the ground.

I see Ezra Cleveland as a serious acquisition prospect for the S10 staff...and I did read that they are quite aware of him. Since they were in Minnesota...they would be more aware of those players from Idaho, and other schools in that region.