PFF All-Analytics 1st Round Draft

PFF All-Analytics 1st Round Draft

• This is based on position value and their projections of future performance from info known to date - including combine.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-the-pff-analytics-mock-draft-1-0

Wirfs is selected at #6. The Browns draft the 3rd OT - Jones. A total of 6 OTs get drafted in the 1st round, but NOT Wills or Becton.

• Discussion
  • No Derrick Brown or Kinlaw either

• I don't see the Giants passing on an OT for basically the same reason they have them taking Ruggs. You protect your QB with that pick.

• They are concluding that Ruggs adds more value to the Giants than any of the OTs.

Also they probably rate Ruggs’ value as higher than any of the OTs.

• Just watched the YouTube video that explained their picks.

The selection of Ruggs did come down to Jones. However, the focus was to accelerate the decision process for whether or not Jones should be the long term QB for the Giants.

They believe that the quickest way to make a decision on a QB is by maximizing the number of opportunities with open receivers he gets. Ruggs is not necessarily even their top WR. However, he is clearly the best in this WR class at creating separation on his defender.

• No Wills and Becton either very interesting

• Chidawg said... (original post)They are concluding that Ruggs adds more value to the Giants than any of the OTs.Also they probably rate Ruggs’ value as higher than any of the OTs.

So Jones is going to throw to Ruggs while he is flat on his back ?

Sorry, but I mock this mock.

Eric Eager and George Chahrouri ?

ok

• Version 2.0 out 3/30.

Browns still end up with Jones at #10. This time Wirfs and Thomas go #8 and #9.

Cleveland (18), Driscoll (26), Peart (29) and Wills (30) also go in the 1st round. Becton is available on the 2nd day.

• Chidawg said... (original post)Version 2.0 out 3/30.Browns still end up with Jones at #10. This time Wirfs and Thomas go #8 and #9.Cleveland (18), Driscoll (26), Peart (29) and Wi...

Steve Palazolo's mock on 3/31 (what WE would do if we were making the picks) has Thomas 5, Wirfs 8, Josh Jones 10 to Cleveland, Wills 11, and Becton out of the first round.

Their mock based on what they predict will happen has Becton to the Giants at 4, Wirfs 8, Thomas 10, Wills 11. and Jones 18. So they think the Giants are incredibly stupid and predict they will take a second round talent at #4 overall. (Must have been the Daniel Jones pick last year). Otherwise not too much difference except they are somewhat higher on Andrew Thomas and Josh Jones than they think the league is.

I can't see the Browns preferring Becton for a wide zone scheme based on movement since he weighs 370. Wills has never played left tackle in college so it seems Thomas and Wirfs would be their main targets with Jones the dark horse. Ezra Cleveland probably comes into play if they unexpectedly get the chance to take Simmons at #10, although I would think their phone would be ringing off the hook and there would be a bidding war if that happened. It would be great if they could get a huge haul for that pick and still end up with Josh Jones.

Joe Thomas thinks any of the top four tackles would be a great choice at #10.

I’ll go back to one thing that Kyle Shanahan said when he was installing his offense (as Browns offensive coordinator in 2014). He said ‘There’s a reason this is a great offense, it’s because I’m going to ask you to do a very, very (small) number of things and we’re going to do them over and over and over again. The scheme isn’t so much about great skill as it is about repetition, desire and effort. - Joe Thomas

Which makes me think it isn't a big deal whether a guy played a lot of left tackle in college as long as he has the physical tools. A guy like Becton, who had enormous upside, might work out great if he's willing to work hard and keep his weight under control.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 9 months ago