Sobo is it discipline or structure

Sobo is it discipline or structure

• That when the 10th pick rolls around you pick Wirfs over Simmons without pause?

• Discussion
  • Hell yes! Simmons is a one of a kind player...you can get a very good OL lower in the draft...and depending on the result of FA and/or trades...you may get one of the top zone style RG candidates in the draft in round 2.

• I'd gladly take Simmons since he's my No. 3 overall prospect.

This post was edited by SOBOdawg 11 months ago

• I created a thread on the Draft Brew Forum, discussing the top 10, 15 and 20 players in the draft. Both Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson and Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa are listed in most of them. Isaiah Simmons is either listed in the top five or soon after. I believe SOBO has mentioned Simmons is listed third on his player ranking. I will use one of SOBO's comments from the Tap Room, which should not cross the line of premium information. In a listing of key players early in the draft, not meaning the top five, but players he considered potential selections for the Cleveland Browns at 10 or maybe soon after, these rankings were temporary, until after the Indianapolis Combine.

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa, was listed as 13th of a ranking of 100 players. There are three offensive tackles that are ranked in different order by the various rankings and mock drafts. The positive point of Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa, is that he played college ball with an offensive line scheme that the Cleveland Browns will use. I guess the term, he is a plug and play player on day one, at a critical position for the Cleveland Browns.

The discussion of these two players, Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson, is a higher rated player who also fills a critical position. So, best player available, who also fills in an important position for the Cleveland Browns.

I highly doubt Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson will ever right the 10th spot on the first day of the draft.

There are also mock drafts that neither of these two players are available, when the 10 selection would be on the clock.

The discussion than moves to the idea of another OT or is the OT depth deep enough to postpone to the 2nd and 3rd round and select the best player available, who is not an OT, such as Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn, who would finish the Cleveland Browns starting front four. The offense needs OTs and the defense needs a DT to help with both the pass rush and stopping the run. If there are no injuries or suspensions on the defensive line, the pass rush is already good, but the Browns rush defense is the major defenses' weakness. Which is the higher priority. Most will say protect the QB, which is probably right. It also adds to the discussion, since it is just my opinion, where others might see a better talent or a higher need.

• Of course...it depends on what happens between now and the draft; Bill Callahan and the others may have insights on FA's or trades...there will be players available who can help through both avenues and strategically the franchise needs to step back, look at what they intend to do and then pursue players who can help now as well as into the future.

What pieces and parts can be acquired and at what price ...prior to the draft using current players, cash and future draft picks?

We know the defensive line has hole(s), there is an impending hole at safety and there needs to be size and speed added to the linebacker group; the middle of the defense was worse than the middle of the offense in 2019!

The defense needs impact players in the middle because, if you intend to run the ball, you've got to be able to stop the run and defend the middle in the passing game; right now...the assets to do that are not apparent.

The offense needs repair but, more importantly, it needs clear direction and focus. Addition of solid right guard and a serviceable offensive tackle plus a blocking TE goes a long way toward allowing the skilled position players to begin to flourish.

Think back to 2019...this team went right down the field and scored until it was forced to react to the adaptations of the defense it was facing; the offensive "braintrust" couldn't adjust.

The defense typically could be pushed all over the field by average to below average offenses...because the defense had no answers for mediocre running games.

It was a bend but then collapse situation on defense. The defense rarely, if ever, imposed their will on an offense. That has to change and, for that to happen the team needs speed, size and some mean hombres added to the middle of the defense.

Look what Nick Bosa did for the 49ers...added a devastating pass rusher to a decent defense and allowed a solid running game to get leads and then allowed the offense to eat clock.

Use some of the draft assets to go get that potential OL answer but don't delude yourself into believing that an OT is the answer; this defensive middle is a sieve and in 2020, the schedule requires a strong mid-field defense...:

"On top of its usual games against AFC North rivals Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Cleveland is set to host the Colts and Texans from the AFC South, the Eagles and Redskins from the NFC East and the Raiders from the AFC West. The Browns were paired up with the Raiders because both teams finished in third place in their respective division.

Cleveland will hit the road for games against the Jaguars and Titans from the AFC South, Cowboys and Giants from the NFC South and the third-place Jets from the AFC East. That means Cleveland will play twice at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey."

The defensive middle needs to be rebuilt or...this schedule will grind this team up... no matter who the offensive draft picks are!

This post was edited by mortdogsr 11 months ago

• derrick brown is my number one pick for the browns. Look what chris jones does for the chiefs. A big nasty dt with athleticism is a prize. He’ll never be there at ten.

• oasis05 said... (original post) derrick brown is my number one pick for the browns. Look what chris jones does for the chiefs. A big nasty dt with athleticism is a prize. He’ll ne...

Chris Jones was the 37th pick of his draft at 6’6” 310 lbs. Guess who is exactly the same size, already rated much higher, might be even better than Derrick Brown, and yet everybody is overlooking for us at #10?

This guy,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article239835808.html

This post was edited by marktroy 11 months ago

• marktroy said... (original post)Chris Jones was the 37th pick of his draft at 6’6” 310 lbs. Guess who is exactly the same size, already rated much higher, might be even better tha...

I made that same comp during Senior Bowl week. I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Kinlaw is the highest-graded interior pass-rusher in college football over the last two years. I think both him and Brown should very much be in play.

This post was edited by SOBOdawg 11 months ago

• I’ll take kinlaw, but i think brown is more of a big ugly but with more athleticism. He’ll be able to plug at 1 tech with richardson , kinlaw is more skinny and looks more like a 3 tech.

• oasis05 said... (original post)I’ll take kinlaw, but i think brown is more of a big ugly but with more athleticism. He’ll be able to plug at 1 tech with richardson , kinlaw is mor...

Brown plays with more leverage currently. Hes built that way so its natural.

But you mentioned Jones and thats who Kinlaw is more reminiscent. Their skillset is virtually identical as prospects. Jones had to be coached up on leverage technique, and hes been ultra successful.

But he had motor questions in college that Kinlaw doesnt. And I expect Kinlaw will test better than both. And, as opposed to a guy like say Winfield, Id expect him to be an analytics favorite.

This post was edited by marktroy 11 months ago

• Richardson prob would not like kinlaw. I dont see kinlaw holding up to double teams and i think richardson came here to be a three tech and was pissed off about the gerald mccoy rumors potentially bumping him back to 1 tech. With garrett you want a one tech with athleticism to hit that A gap hard and force the guard to double freeing up garrett for one on ones on the outside. Can kinlaw eat those double teams and hold up at the los? Whoever plays 1 tech for us is doing the dirty work and has to be up to the task.

• oasis05 said... (original post)Richardson prob would not like kinlaw. I dont see kinlaw holding up to double teams and i think richardson came here to be a three tech and was piss...

Who has the best DL in the NFL? SF, the team we’re obviously copying in almost every way.

Their biggest DL is Buckner at 6’ 7” 300. Their next 3 DTs dont even sniff 3 bills. They get after the passer and they cover.

Hey ur preaching to the choir here. Ive wanted a big tough DT for years. We need that in this division. But thats what Jones is, and thats exactly what Kinlaw is. Big, physical and disruptive.

We can always do what KC did and find a run stuffer later if we like. But Richardson is only gonna be here one more year so I wouldnt let that stop me from drafting Kinlaw.

• SOBOdawg said... (original post)I made that same comp during Senior Bowl week. I just couldn't get it out of my head. Kinlaw is the highest-graded interior pass-rusher in col...

We need FA to help plug some obvious holes first, then one of these guys would be a great pick.

• JerrySherk said... (original post)We need FA to help plug some obvious holes first, then one of these guys would be a great pick.

This team needs to add some serious nastiness along both sides of the LOS; if you can get one of these guys, you have to look at pulling the trigger because the gene pool doesn't allow for many of them! Adding one of them strengthens this team from the middle out and that is always a good thing...attacking the middle of the pocket makes opposing QB's feet think about fleeing!