The OBR Draft Report: It Starts Now

The OBR Draft Report: It Starts Now

• Discussion
  • I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

ETA: Context. Bad year for year round draft coverage with possibly no college football.

This post was edited by Insipid 7 months ago

• Insipid said... (original post)I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.ETA: Context. Bad year for year round draft coverage with possibly no college football.

Come rain, come June, come global pandemics, nothing stops NFL draft talk.

• I am as guilty as charged.

Reading SOBO's initial narrative, some of the description fits my draft coverage. The NFL season is my primary focus during the late summer, fall and winter. I catch a few college games, especially the major match-ups and as many Ohio State games as I ca. My major attention to the college game starts during December and increases till the actual NFL draft.

The idea of getting a little bit extra each week in a professional summary sounds very interesting.

There are three type of members on the various OBR forums. There are readers which are sometimes limited to the time available to Browns coverage. The free and premium forums as well as articles provide excellent coverage for these members.

There are contributors. They read a little in the areas of their interest and take time to contribute their voice in the discussions.

There are the avid readers and contributors, who probably are the life blood of these forums.

When it comes to the draft content early in the year, I might be more classified as the reader. Stephen Thomas started my look at the 2021 draft class when he wrote his 1500 word article on the 2020 Supplemental Draft, discussing a good number of 2021 college players who might be considered in an expanded Supplemental Draft class of 2020, potentially causes by the Virus. It might not happen, but, the listing of the players was a nice bit of information.

SOBO is right about the cumulative effect of draft coverage. A short study of the college eligible players is pretty much a short study. If the Browns draft them or if they make the UDFA group the focus will remain on them. Players actually drafted in the first three rounds and maybe a few in the fourth might be part of my memory.

Depending upon how boring the next two months become and what coverage is available prior to training camp, an individual look at each teams draft class might be a good option to bring some draft preparation highlights back to the front of a members brain.

The changes in the NFC East and AFC South as well as other AFC teams, especially the other AFC North teams will be a good preview of the 2020 season.

It will be interesting how the virtual classroom or Zoom classrooms work out in the 2020 coaching experience.

• Insipid said... (original post)I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.ETA: Context. Bad year for year round draft coverage with possibly no college football.

I think the NFL and collegiate institutions are going to do whatever it takes to have a season in some form or fashion.

Even if they don't, we can still revisit last year's film to break down prospects and how they should be viewed.

• tOSU football players are starting “voluntary” workouts shortly. Seems like the world is making an attempt to get back on its axis?

• BarryMcBride said... (original post)Come rain, come June, come global pandemics, nothing stops NFL draft talk.

I'd amend your statement just a bit...Come rain, come June, come global pandemics, come Johnny Football, Come Hue...we always look forward to NFL draft talk.

• SOBO,

As things move closer and closer to most it even all of CFB not playing this Spring, what type of major affect and adjustments would that have on the large scouting staffs of NFL teams that usually travel a ton to practices and games for in person scouting. Do you know if the Browns have scouts out at any major schools that are currently practicing like Ohio State?

If the season is cancelled for all of CFB, this 2021 Draft Board will be based on previous live evals/notes of RS Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors + game film eval of the same. Will that smaller data set and lack of more in person evals make this draft class super hard to set up a draft board for?

• Stephen Thomas provides some very nice material on the watercooler. He might eventually go to the premium forums, but, he provides updated mock drafts for the 2021 for the Cleveland Browns.

He has a recent mock draft on the watercooler. I am not interested in placing the players selected, but, when members go to the watercooler, the majority of first and second day draft picks are defensive players and even into the beginning of the third day. What I find interesting and worth adding to this thread is the draft pick numbers used.

These are the first four rounds. I don't believe he considered compensatory picks in his mock draft since the 7th round pick is 208, What is interesting is four picks in the top 100 picks and another two that should be in the late teens and early 120's Six solid picks.

Point in reference, 32 compensatory picks, say 28 of the 32 were in the first six rounds. 208 plus 28 equals 236 will probably be a more realistic seven round pick, when the compensatory picks are added in. Even dropping the 176th to 200, the first five rounds or 8 or the 10 pick should be pretty nice selections.

We are getting an early look at the 2020 draft picks in this training camp and it appears they make pretty good picks their first year. It could be assumed they would improve with having a full year in preparation. The changes in the coaches, GM, front office and others.

Lets hope that the best schools play football

• ramllov said... (original post)Stephen Thomas provides some very nice material on the watercooler. He might eventually go to the premium forums, but, he provides updated mock draf...

Yes, the mock. draft simulator over at The Draft Network does not insert the comp picks until they're announced.

• But late February you should have all of those compensatory picks! So the draft order is finalized by early February, compensatory picks announced and Combine happens in late February...so I guess early February up until the draft must be crazy for mocks.

But fortunately since you do year round prep, it’s not quite information overload.

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 4 months ago

• ramllov said... (original post)Stephen Thomas provides some very nice material on the watercooler. He might eventually go to the premium forums, but, he provides updated mock draf...

May be bumping those picks up after that beaut of a game today. I’ll be keeping my eyes on QB’s and then just nothing but defense. Good we have a ton of picks.

• SCredhawk said... (original post)May be bumping those picks up after that beaut of a game today. I’ll be keeping my eyes on QB’s and then just nothing but defense. Good we have a ...

The defensive line needs replenished and cornerback as well. I think Greedy is fragile.

Hopefully Ronnie Harrison can get up to speed soon and replace Sendejo. Otherwise safety is also on the list.

• BarryMcBride said... (original post)Come rain, come June, come global pandemics, nothing stops NFL draft talk.

I thought you were going to end this sentence with "nothing stops me from sniffing glue."

This post was edited by JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo 4 months ago

• QB round one

• Endeavor to Trevor?

• Beau Callahan no matter what.

• ramllov said... (original post)I am as guilty as charged.Reading SOBO's initial narrative, some of the description fits my draft coverage. The NFL season is my primary focus ...

Hope they'll make a movie out of this ...

• Oof. After today's "effort", the non-unreasonableness of that statement caught me off guard. Kind of like starting to think about getting rid of a car you planned to keep for 10 years. Should have gotten the larger engine and the leather seats.
  • The Draft. It's ALL we got!....

• Okay as the roster is today wht is the numbere one need on this team?

Can't see it being an offensive position..

DE.... maybe..... but Gustin may be the answer
    DT..... Richardson Ogunjobi Elliot and Billings when he comes back next spring don't scream number 1 neeed
    LB I have no idea what we have with Wilson and Phillips...hoping they have some "heart" though :D. Could I see the Browns going LB 1st out the gate, yup. But Taki Taki, Wilson, and Phillips are all young so they could develope.
    CB Ward, Greedy, Mitch and Johnson seem like a good top 4, so adding a number 1 here doesn't make since to me.
    S Is a HUGE unknown as I have no Idea what the Browns have in Delphit Redwine & Harrison. Could a 1st rounder be used here? Yup as Sendejo and Joesph are 1 year rentals

So IMO mocks should start with BPA S vs LB with the 2nd rounder postion being the one that didn't get picked in the 1st. IE: 1st LB 2nd S or 1st S 2nd LB.

• With DE, we’re getting an extended look at Gustin and Joe Jackson and Weaver, Obinna and Trevon Young are in the building, although all recuperating from injuries. So I agree it’s not the biggest need. What Harrison and Redwine show us is TBD. What Greedy Williams will show us is TBD.

Right now I’d emphasize defensive BPA with a strong interest in LB (and as you say, S).

This post was edited by Ole1Sock 3 months ago

• DawgSoldierOBR said... (original post)Okay as the roster is today wht is the numbere one need on this team?Can't see it being an offensive position..DE.... maybe..... but Gus...

Actually said something about this recently, in the tweet below. Long way to go and iDL/Edge may end up being a target, especially if they take the early out in Sheldon Richardson's contract, but early returns suggest it may not be as obvious as previously believed, especially with Andrew Billings coming back in '21. Trade deadline may be interesting this year as well, if the Browns are contending.

This week's mid-week Mock Draft on the site may change it up on the Day 1 pick. As always though, it all comes down to value.

https://twitter.com/BrownsMockDraft/status/1307006136915173380?s=20

• I hope the Browns are drafting late in the 1st round. A very good sign that 2020 was a very good campaign.

Yes, best D player available. This of course after they address one LB spot in FA.

• I’m actually thinking CB could be a strong need in either draft or FA. Money Mitch and KJ are both FAs
    Still don’t truly know what we have in Greedy. I suppose if they really like what they see out of AJ Green and Robert Jackson they could not prioritize it.

As usual, FA/trades will also determine what they do in the high end of the draft. The signing of Conklin and Hooper took RT and TE off the board for the top3 rounds in 2020.

If they make a splashy signing at LB, CB, or S that could have the same affect on the 2021 draft board. Either way, with as stacked as the offense currently is, we should see a good amount of our FA and early round draft capital being spent in the defensive side of the ball

• MirORich said... (original post)I’m actually thinking CB could be a strong need in either draft or FA. Money Mitch and KJ are both FAs Still don’t truly know what we have in Greed...

2021 could be musical chairs with the possibility of less salary cap to the tune of $22M less per team. There will be deals to be had re-signing pending free agents veterans on this team late in the 2020 season.

Kareem Hunt was smart to take the cash now. Will Mitchell and Johnson be targets?

There is no guarantee that Billings will be back in 2021. That is the plan, but Billings can control that.

Agreed that Myles Garrett's contract should have been front loaded and eat up the salary cap this year.