Whole Offseason Game

Whole Offseason Game

• Browns Free Agents:
    Do not resign: Drew Stanton, Damarious Randall, Rashard Higgins, Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard, Dontrell Hilliard, , Ricky Seals-Jones, Eric Murray, Brian Cox Jr, Justin McCray, Khadarel Hodge, Pharoah Brown
    Re-sign: Joe Schobert, Juston Burris
    1st Round Tender: Kareem Hunt

Free Agent Signings:
    Case Keenum QB WAS, Tre Boston FS CAR, Sheldon Day DT SF, Emmanuel Ogbah DE KC, Rashod Hill OT MIN, BJ Finney G PIT

Draft (Using TDN):

10: Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa

41: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT Auburn

74: Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

90: Benito Jones, IDL Ole Miss

105: Kyle Dugger, S Lenoir-Rhyne

167: Denzel Mims, WR Baylor

221: Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming

2020 Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB: Baker, Keenum, Gilbert

RB: Chubb, Hunt, Johnson

WR: OBJ, Landry, Ratley, Mims, Montgomery, Taylor/UDFA

TE: Njoku, Kmet, Harris, Carlson

LT: Wirfs, Lamm

LG: Bitonio, Forbes

C: Tretter, Finney

RG: Finney, Teller

RT: Hill/Wanogho

Defense:

LDE: Garrett, Thomas

LDT: Day, Ogunjobi

RDT: Richardson, Jones

RDE: Vernon, Ogbah, Gustin

SLB: Kirksey, Thomas

MLB: Schobert, Takitaki

WLB: Wilson, Wilson

LCB: Ward, Carrie, Lewis Jr

RCB: Williams, Mitchell

Nickel: Mitchell, Burris

SS: Burnett, Dugger

FS: Boston, Redwine

K: Siebert

P: Scottish Hammer

KR/PR: Johnson

• Discussion
  • That's a much better line up than we had this past season.

• elchuppicabra said... (original post)Browns Free Agents:Do not resign: Drew Stanton, Damarious Randall, Rashard Higgins, Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard, Dontrell Hilliard, , Ricky S...

Are we running 2 or 3 LB Sets more? Might need another Safety?

Long snapper in there?

This post was edited by JerrySherk 8 months ago

• I like it. Might sub Arik Armstead for Day at DT.

And as crazy as it sounds I’d trade OBJ.

OBJ and 10 to the chargers for 6, a 5th rd pick this year and a 2 next year. Guarantees you get the tackle you want

• I give OBJ a year in a functional offense with a real coach before writing him off. His stock will never be as low as it is right now. Also, F-Dorsey.

• Harris can got too. Same for Kush. Vernon has to take a pay cut he is not worth 15 Million a year. He is worth maybe 6 Million plus incentives. A lot of churn at the backup positions. Most have not been on the team long anyway. More like practice players. Hunt may not be worth anything if he is suspended again. He may be gone.

• Oh and your not going to get a lot for OBJ. Probably stuck with him for now. F'in Dorsey. Wish we could undo that trade. Same for the Ogbah trade he would have been a good depth player.

• Great. Still need a FB though, no? Not sure about TE group too.

• Used Fanspeak. Rosters don't seem to be up to date. but here goes!
    Cut:
    Drew Stanton QB, Bryan Witzmann G , Carl Davis DL, Ray-Ray Armstrong LB, Phillip Gaines CB , Eric Murray S, T.J. Carrie CB, Chris Hubbard OT, Chris Smith EDGE Morgan Burnett S, Eric Kush G, Austin Corbett OT, Taywan Taylor WR, Antonio Callaway WR, Joe Kerridge FB

Resign:
    Higgins, Robinson (no way in hell I go into draft without a starting tackle), Schobert, Murray (CB/S), and Randall (CB/S) and Carrie (CB/S, cheaper contract)

FA:

Von Bell SS (young and good), McCoy DT or Jordan Phillips DT and A'Shawn Robinson DT; Austin Hooper TE OR Darren Fells TE; Vinny Curry DE and Carl Nassib DE. (that is a lot of money spent. But we are trying to win NOW)

Draft:
    MY PICKS
    15: R1P15 OT MEKHI BECTON LOUISVILLE
    41: R2P9 OT ISAIAH WILSON GEORGIA
    46: R2P14 S ASHTYN DAVIS CALIFORNIA
    74: R3P10 G BEN BREDESON MICHIGAN
    90: R3P26 EDGE JASON STROWBRIDGE NORTH CAROLINA
    117: R4P14 TE BRYCEN HOPKINS PURDUE
    158: R5P12 WR ANTONIO GANDY-GOLDEN LIBERTY
    187: R6P8 CB LAVERT HILL MICHIGAN
    236: R7P22 EDGE BRYCE HUFF MEMPHIS

This is best scenario IMO. I've rebuilt the offensive line with some of the top talent at LT, RT and RG leaving what we have currently (besides Bitonio) for depth. I've found a replacement for Randall, added 2 TE's ideal for the offense (i think, lol), added a big body receiver to my stable of "small" receivers, and added some young pass rush talent (we have quite the "nascar" package" now. )

• And here I thought I'd come in here and get this thread going. So glad you guys got this year's version up and running. So, let's play!

I want to throw a link in here first, though. The following are the guardrails previously set forth when Paul DePodesta joined the team:

https://twitter.com/FredasBoss/status/1212114082066784263

Hopefully, those help to better understand the Browns' approach in FA and the draft.

Onto the nuts and bolts of my offseason plan:

Re-sign

Joe Schobert

Rashard Higgins

Eric Murray

Justin Burris

Ricky Seals-Jones

Brian Cox Jr.

Hodge, Hilliard and P.Brown are ERFA

Hunt, Randall, Stanton, Robinson and McCary are allowed to walk.

Release

Chris Hubbard, Travis Carrie, Christian Kirksey and Morgan Burnett

Free agency

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Normally, we only do three free-agents signings. I'm going to add a forth since he's a backup QB.

1. D.J. Humphries - The FA OT class isn't great. But Humphries is only 26 and a tremendous athlete. I think he could excel in Stefanski's scheme. He's also coming off his best season under the direction of Kliff Kingsbury.

2. Rashod Hill - This one just makes too much sense due to his familiarity with Stefanski. He can come in and compete to start at RT or RG.

3. Jimmie Ward - After a rough start to his career, Ward finally put it all together this season under the supervision of Joe Woods. Free safety is a vital position in this scheme, and Woods can bring his along to implement his system.

4. Case Keenum - Ideal backup quarterback.

Draft (using TDN's mock-draft simulator)

10. Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa - Obviously, this is the most logical and early favorite for the selection. Wirfs is a powerhouse, athletic freak, Day 1 starter at RT and his familiarity with the blocking scheme shouldn't be overlooked.

41. Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame - Fortunate to have the class' top TE prospect (definitely top two or three) fall in my lap. Kmet has the size and inline ability much needed to pair with David Njoku, who is entering a vital season.

74. Kyle Dugger, S Lenoir-Rhyne - Might have jumped the gun on this one a hair, but he's an ideal SS for Woods' scheme. Plan to see a LOT of single-high safety looks with the strong safety up near the line of scrimmage. Think Kam Chancellor's role. He's 6'1', 217 pounds and played really well at the Senior Bowl in all phases.

90. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB Appalachian St. - Look at this defensive flexibility we're putting together. Davis-Gaither is just a tick bigger than Dugger (219 pounds) but he's a linebacker who can start at Will and be comfortable working in space.

105. DaVon Hamilton, DT Ohio State - Hamilton is an absolutely load along the interior. He might not be the type of guy who collapses the pocket consistently, but he can definitey hold the point of attack. Basically, everything the Browns currently lack at 1-tech.

167. Lamar Jackson, CB Nebraska - Yes, I'm sure there will be plenty of jokes at the Browns' expense when they take the OTHER Lamar Jackson. But his inclusion makes sense for a team about to go into heavier Cover 3 looks. Jackson is a big (6'2", 206) and physical corner to play a role on the outside.

221. Joshua Kelley, RB UCLA - Obviously, the loss of Hunt will hurt, because Chubb needs a quality backup, especially with a run-heavy approach. Kelley has been overlooked to a degree despite the former walk-on's impressive production. His Senior Bowl performance might drive up his value, though.

UDFA

Parker Houston, TE/FB San Diego State

Jay Jay Wilson, FB Auburn

James Proche, WR SMU

Binjimen Victor, Ohio State

James Robinson, RB Illinois State

Colton McKivitz, OT West Virginia

Victor Johnson, OT Appalachian State

Bryce Huff, EDGE Memphis

Garrett Marino, DT UAB

Mychal Walker, LB Fresno State

Dane Jackson, CB Pittsburgh

Marc-Antoine Dequay, S Montreal

Sam Sloman, K Miami-OH

Josh Growden, P WVU

90-man roster (close enough)

QB - Mayfield, Keenum, Gilbert

RB - Chubb, Hilliard, Kelley, D.Johnson, J.Robinson

FB - Stanton/Houston/Wilson

X - OBJ, Hodge, Moore, Victor

slot - Landry, Taylor, Proche

Y - Higgins, Ratley, Montgomery

TE - Njoku, Kmet, Seals-Jones, Harris, Carlson, P. Brown

LT - Humphries, V.Johnson

LG - Bitonio, Teller, Pridgeon

C - Tretter, Kush, Falemaka, Wright

RG - Hill, Forbes, Gossett

RT - Wirfs, Lamm, McKivitz

RDE - Garrett, Cox, McCray, Young, Huff

1-tech - Ogunjobi, Hamilton, Ankou, Bryant

3-tech - Richardson, Ekuale, Zimmer, Marino

LDE - Vernon, C.Thomas, Gustin,

Sam - Takitaki, T.Davis, Meander

Mike - Schobert, Taylor, Walker

Will - M.Wilson/Davis-Gaither, Harvey, Grace

CB - D.Ward, Mitchell, R.Jackson,

nickel - Murray, Lewis, D.Jackson

CB - Greedy, L.Jackson, T.Thomas,

SS - Burris/Dugger, Hassell

FS - J.Ward, Redwine, Dequay

K - Seibert, Sloman

P - Hammer, Growden

LS - Hughlett

This post was edited by SOBOdawg 7 months ago

• Used Fanspeak Manage Cap for resigning/releasing/restructuring/free agents.

Do not resign/release:

Drew Stanton, Damarious Randall, Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard, Dontrell Hilliard, Ricky Seals-Jones, Eric Murray, Pharoah Brown, Joe Schobert, Eric Kush, Adarius Taylor, Demetrius Harris, Morgan Burnett

Resign:
    Juston Burris, Rashad Higgins, Justin McCray, KhaDarel Hodge, Bryan Cox

Restructure:
    Olivier Vernon, TJ Carrie, Christian Kirksey

2nd Round Tender:
    Kareem Hunt

Free Agents:
    QB Brian Hoyer, FB Derek Watt, WR Philip Dorsett, TE Darren Fells, RT Rashod Hill, RG Joe Haeg, DT Sheldon Day, DE/OLB Noah Spence, LB Nick Kwiatkoski, CB Daryl Worley, S Anthony Harris

TDN Draft:
    1st - LT - Tristan Wirfs - Iowa
    2nd - DT - Raekwon Davis - Alabama
    3rd - S - Antoine Winfield - Minnesota
    3rd - TE - Harrison Bryant - FAU
    4th - S - Kyle Dugger - Lenoir Rhyne
    6th - OT - Alex Taylor - SC St
    7th - RB/WR - Antonio Gibson - Memphis

Leftover Cap Space (restructure Garrett, Chubb, Mayfield, Ward, etc):

$35,000,000

This post was edited by ndl54 7 months ago

• Reflection: Not sure I made the team better. Ha. The biggest decision I made was to get rid of OBJ and invest that money back into some guys who underperformed this year. That’s a risk, but I'm not convinced the Browns need to be investing all their capital in WR. I'd rather distribute that across positions that Baker relies more heavily on.

Re-sign

Joe Schobert

Damarius Randall

Eric Murray

Justin Burris

Ricky Seals-Jones

Greg Robinson

Release

Chris Hubbard

Christian Kirksey

Morgan Burnett

TJ Carrie

Trade for Future Picks:

David Njoku – Njoku hasn’t developed, and we aren’t going to re-sign him. He’s a very poor inline blocker with inconsistent hands. If he wasn’t drafted first round, would he really make this team? As it stands, you can probably get a 3rd or a 4th for him, and that’s a fine haul.

Odell Beckham, Jr – Don’t need to say much here other than it hasn’t worked out, and I don’t see it working out. The worst thing we can do is sit on an asset too long and let it depreciate. This is a team that needs to grow together, and I don’t see OBJ as a long-term guy here. Moving him for a 1st rounder provides us with the ability to allocate money to the right positions.

Free Agency:

Jimmie Ward, S – Make too much sense with Woods coming over from SF. You use FA to fill huge holes that you probably can’t get done in the draft, and we are very much in need of a safety.

Austin Hooper, future asset securing his franchise tag from ATL, -- Yea, it’s probably a pipe dream, but I’m fully convinced that we’d be better off spending our money on a guy like Hooper than a guy like OBJ. He’s one of the best in the league. He’s consistent. He blocks pretty well. The only way we are getting him is through trade, so I launched a future pick to go get him, which I feel okay about given that we are accumulating resources from moving Njoku and OBJ.

Breshad Perriman, WR – our wide receivers are slow as hell. I thought about trading Landry, but I think that might be too much movement this offseason, and I’ll just mark that down as what I am going to be doing next offseason. Perriman has familiarity with Baker and provides a deep threat. Is he the best WR on the team? No. Does he add to our offense? Yes.

Randall Cobb, WR – okay, one more. I wanted this to be Robby Anderson, but that’s probably too much. Cobb isn’t going to be too expensive, he’s a veteran, and he’s pretty dang consistent. I want to surround Baker with some real veterans who will run the right routes and catch the ball when it’s in their vicinity.

Draft:

10. Andrew Thomas, T, Georgia – Wirfs was off the board, which disappointed me, but I’m not waiting around for a tackle. Andrew Thomas is a guy that I see playing here for a long time. Very athletic and powerful in the run game.

41. Ross Blalock, DT, -- We need an interior lineman, and Blacklock would be drafted higher if it wasn’t for injury concerns. As it is, I think he’s worth a risk here because his natural upside is high.

74. Cole Kmet, TE, ND – I feel fortunate he dropped to me here. I know this sounds unreasonable given our investment in Hooper, but I am significantly more interested in adding tough TE to our offense than I am in spending insane amounts on the WR position.

90. Ben Bartch, OT/OG, St. John’s - Greg Robinson is NOT the long-term answer for this team, and so I’m investing again at the tackle position. I feel pretty good about Bartch competing for the guard position this year, and maybe being able to compete for the tackle position next year. Also, I noticed this comment from Mark Schofield: “Ben Bartch loves him some inside zone. It's his favorite concept to run.”

105: Eno Bejamin, RB, Arizona State – I had to let Kareem Hunt walk, and I wanted to add a pro consistent RB to this team. I think that can be Eno Benjamin. He’s not elite, but we are drafting after 105 here, so yea, he’s not elite. I still think he can be extremely productive and consistent in my offense.

168: Michael Divinity, Jr, Edge, LSU – Huge shrug here. I don’t know enough about football to make good decisions this late. ? The scouting report on him said he’s athletic and generally does his job. Cool.

221. Austin Mack, WR, OSU – For the hometown. Actually, Mack is a dude who could do something in the league in my opinion. His hands are STRONG. He’s made some crazy **** catches but struggled with injuries.

--

Depth Chart

QB: Mayfield, FA, Gilbert

RB: Chubb, Benjamin, Hilliard

FB: Stanton

X: Perriman, Hodge, Moore

Slot: Landry, Taylor

Y: Cobb

TE: Hooper, Kmet, Seals-Jones

LT: Robinson,

LG: Bitonio, Teller

C: Tretter, Kush

RG – Forbes/Bartch

RT -- Thomas

--

DE: Garrett, McCray, Vernon, Divinity

DT: Ogunjobi, Richardson, Blalock

Sam: Takitaki, Davis

Mike; Schobert, Taylor

Will: Wilson

CB: Ward, Mitchell Jackson
    Nickel: Murray, Lewis

Safeties: Ward, Randall, Redwine, Hassell

• SOBOdawg said... (original post)And here I thought I'd come in here and get this thread going. So glad you guys got this year's version up and running. So, let's pl...

Are you tendering Hunt to get a pick back?

Are you outright releasing him if the NFL doesn’t act and he’s cleared for all 16 games?

• JerrySherk said... (original post)Are you tendering Hunt to get a pick back? Are you outright releasing him if the NFL doesn’t act and he’s cleared for all 16 games?

If you're asking me personally--which these scenarios are based on what we would do--I wouldn't have signed Hunt in the first place, so letting him walk is no skin off my back.

• Bobcat0013 said... (original post)I like it. Might sub Arik Armstead for Day at DT.And as crazy as it sounds I’d trade OBJ. OBJ and 10 to the chargers for 6, a 5th rd pick this ye...

The first 5 tackles are all closely rated. If I move up I only move up for Simmons.

• Good job, I enjoyed these posts a lot. I am not really up on the available FAs yet. But the positions that the Browns are bare are OTs and Safeties. WE basically can get away with keeping Schobert , But the rest of the positions we can make due. Priority must be the Offensive Tackles and the Safety positions, The cupboard is bare at those positions, if you release Randal, Robinson and Hubbard. Bennett may not be back in time for the 2020 season. 2 OTs and SS and FS need to be drafted, plus FA additions. That is the priority anything else only matters after those positions are addressed.

• SOBOdawg said... (original post)If you're asking me personally--which these scenarios are based on what we would do--I wouldn't have signed Hunt in the first place, so l...

Ok, but why wouldn’t you give him a low tender, like original round, and try to get a pick back? Wouldn’t that be a 3rd?

• Modifying my original version and trying to be more reasonable. My only “big” free agent signings are Austin Blythe, Jordan Phillips, and Karl Joseph. The rest are depth pieces.

Used Fanspeak Manage Cap for resigning/releasing/restructuring/free agents.

Do not resign/release:

Drew Stanton, Damarious Randall, Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard, Dontrell Hilliard, Pharoah Brown, Eric Kush, Adarius Taylor, Demetrius Harris, Rashad Higgins, TJ Carrie, Christian Kirksey, Morgan Burnett, Justin McCray

Resign:
    Ricky Seals Jones - $1,000,000
    Khadarel Hodge - $750,000
    Bryan Cox - $750,000
    Joe Schobert - $15,000,000
    Eric Murray - $2,000,000
    Juston Burris - $1,000,000

2nd Round Tender:
    Kareem Hunt

Free Agents:
    QB Chase Daniel - $1,500,000
    TE Levine Toilolo - $2,000,000
    RG Austin Blythe - $7,500,000
    G/T Rashod Hill - $3,000,000
    DT Jordan Phillips - $7,500,000
    LB Ray Ray Armstrong - $1,000,000
    SS Karl Joseph - $7,500,000

TDN Draft:
    2nd - S - Antoine Winfield - Minnesota
    3rd - RT - Lucas Niang - TCU
    3rd - DT Davon Hamilton - OSU
    4th - LB - Akeem Davis Gaither - App St
    6th - IOL - Jake Hanson - Oregon
    7th - WR - Binjimen Victor - OSU

Browns Roster
    QB: Mayfield, Daniel, Gilbert
    WR: Beckham, Landry, Hodge, Ratley, Seals Jones, Taylor, Victor
    TE: Njoku, Toilolo, Carlson
    LT: Wirfs, Lamm
    C: Tretter, Hanson
    RG: Blythe, Teller
    RT: Hill or Niang or Forbes

DT: Richardson, Hamilton, Ankou
    DT: Phillips, Ogunjobi
    DE: Garrett, Thomas
    DE: Vernon, Cox, Gustin
    LB: Schobert, Takitaki
    LB: Wilson, Harvey
    LB: Davis Gaither, Armstrong
    CB: Ward, Mitchell, Thomas
    CB: Williams, Murray
    FS: Winfield, Redwine
    SS: Joseph, Burris

K: Seibert
    P: Gillan
    LS: Hughlett

Cap Space Left: $26,885,890

Wishful thinking portion:

Scenario #1

My hope is Schobert is let go and we do not pay $15,000,000 for him. If he is let go I spend that money on a few players...

DE: Emmanuel Ogbah - $7,500,000
    LB: Nick Kwiatkoski - $5,000,000
    S: Jayvon Kearse - $2,500,000

Scenario #2

Olivier Vernon restructures his contract to $10,000,000 ($5,500,000 savings). I use that 5,500,000 plus another $5,000,000 remaining in cap space for a better short term RT...

RT: Bryan Bulaga - $10,500,000

Scenario #3

Browns are on the clock at pick 10, Benton/Wirfs/Thomas/Jones are still on the board. I trade down no lower than 16 and still get one of the four OL above but add a 2nd round pick to take a CB...

Modified TDN Draft:
    2nd - S - Antoine Winfield - Minnesota
    *2nd - CB - Damon Arnette OSU
    3rd - RT - Lucas Niang - TCU
    3rd - DT Davon Hamilton - OSU
    4th - LB - Akeem Davis Gaither - App St
    6th - IOL - Jake Hanson - Oregon
    7th - WR - Binjimen Victor - OSU

Modified Browns Roster:

Browns Roster
    QB: Mayfield, Daniel, Gilbert
    WR: Beckham, Landry, Hodge, Ratley, Seals Jones, Taylor, Victor
    TE: Njoku, Toilolo, Carlson
    LT: Wirfs, Hill, Lamm
    C: Tretter, Hanson
    RG: Blythe, Teller
    RT: Bulaga, Niang

DT: Richardson, Hamilton, Ankou
    DT: Phillips, Ogunjobi
    DE: Garrett, Thomas
    DE: Vernon, Ogbah, Cox
    LB: Kwiatkoski, Takitaki
    LB: Wilson, Harvey
    LB: Davis Gaither, Armstrong
    CB: Ward, Mitchell, Thomas
    CB: Williams, Arnette, Murray
    FS: Winfield, Kearse, Redwine
    SS: Joseph, Burris

K: Seibert
    P: Gillan
    LS: Hughlett

This post was edited by ndl54 6 months ago

• Wow, nicely done. I like all of those.

• Ok I'll play

Browns release:

Stanton, Brown, Randall, Robinson, Hubbard, Kush, Burnett, Taylor, Hilliard & Schobert

Resign:

Murray, Burris, Cox Jr, Seals-Jones & Higgins

Restructure- Vernon - I don't think he was as bad as many claim he was. I would restructure his deal and see if his performance improves. After giving it some thought I'd also restructure Sheldon Richardson's contract. It's one of our worst cap wise.

2nd rd tender - Hunt - I'm keeping him

Free Agents

Case Keenum QB - Best FA QB fit for our offense.

Jimmy Ward S - Huge need at safety. Knows the system and can thrive immediately. Pairing him with Winfield would be awesome.

Cedric Ogbuehi OT- Starting L tackle for the Jags. Can be moved to R tackle once Wirfs is ready

Jordan Phillips DT- Large DT that can get after the QB. Fills a pretty big need

Draft using TDN

10. Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa- Every time I've done a draft on this site Wirfs has been available at 10. I hope that is the case come April.

41. Antoine Winfield S Minnesota - I really love his athleticism. I'm only mildly concerned about his height. He can straight up ball.

74. Willie Gay Jr LB Mississippi St- Has nice speed for a LB and closes quickly.

90. Saahdiq Charles OT LSU- Has potential starter talent but will be solid depth which we lack big time on the o-line.

105. Bradlee Anae DE Utah- Nice developmental pass rusher. Athletic but raw

167. Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Liberty- One of my most favorite players in the draft and all my mocks include him. Has great size and ball skills. He is gonna be a star!

221. Jaron Bryant CB Fresno St- Deveopmental CB that has skills. He once returned 2 blocked punts 70 yards for touchdowns IN THE SAME QUARTER.

This post was edited by dapound 6 months ago