Better Call Saul

Better Call Saul

  • From the creators of breaking bad - Saul Goodman is back!
    With some old friends!
    February 2015
    bettercallsaul.com

  • Discussion
  • On a side note, Toys R Us announced today that it was pulling it's Breaking Bad action figures after complaints.  I guess the they come with meth-making gear as accessories.

    Now I can see something like this selling at Spencers, but it seems a tadirresponsible to put these things at a store for kids.



  • Did they pull grand theft auto and games such as those?

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    On a side note, Toys R Us announced today that it was pulling it's Breaking Bad action figures after complaints.  I guess the they come with meth-making gear as accessories.

    Now I can see something like this selling at Spencers, but it seems a tad irresponsible to put these things at a store for kids.

    ---------------------------------------------
  • I obviously haven't been in a Toys R Us in a long time.  I thought it was board games, Legos and empty spots where the best Atari cartridges should be.
    JackTBurton wrote:

    Did they pull grand theft auto and games such as those?

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    On a side note, Toys R Us announced today that it was pulling it's Breaking Bad action figures after complaints.  I guess the they come with meth-making gear as accessories.

    Now I can see something like this selling at Spencers, but it seems a tad irresponsible to put these things at a store for kids.

    ---------------------------------------------



  • Busting your chops.
    Yes - they had those. Someone got a bur up their ass and made a stink.
    Yet they still carry the Todd McFarlane line of toys, video games that are violent
    It's just noise. Too bad, lots of folks collect figurines like that.
    But hey, they got some bad pR and covered their ass.


    Maybe they should have called Saul? Lol!

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    I obviously haven't been in a Toys R Us in a long time.  Ithought it was board games, Legos and empty spots where the best Atari cartridges should be.
    JackTBurton wrote:

    Did they pull grand theft auto and games such as those?

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    On a side note, Toys R Us announced today that it was pulling it's Breaking Bad action figures after complaints.  I guess the they come with meth-making gear as accessories.

    Now I can see something like this selling at Spencers, but it seems a tad irresponsible to put these things at a store for kids.

    ---------------------------------------------


    ---------------------------------------------
  • Sorry to derail the thread, and I didn't take offense.  But you are right - the hypocrisy is crazy.  Change.org can do as much damage as it does good.  Jump online, read one person's slant on a topic, and click away from the safety of your laptop.  Most companies make a business decision and bow to the pressure du jour.

    I just wish people would research for themselves and make an informed decision.

    JackTBurton wrote:

    Busting your chops.
    Yes - they had those. Someone got a bur up their ass and made a stink.
    Yet they still carry the Todd McFarlane line of toys, video games that are violent
    It's just noise. Too bad, lots of folks collect figurines like that.
    But hey, they got some bad pR and covered their ass.


    Maybe they should have called Saul? Lol!

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    I obviously haven't been in a Toys R Us in a long time.  I thought it was board games, Legos and empty spots where the best Atari cartridges should be.
    JackTBurton wrote:

    Did they pull grand theft auto and games such as those?

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- 80sBoy wrote:

    On a side note, Toys R Us announced today that it was pulling it's Breaking Bad action figures after complaints.  I guess the they come with meth-making gear as accessories.

    Now I can see something like this selling at Spencers, but it seems a tad irresponsible to put these things at a store for kids.

    ---------------------------------------------

    ---------------------------------------------

  • I'll definitely be watching this. Not expecting the best show ever, but I trust Gilligan to put something good together

  • You had better call Saul:

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

  • Fück those nothing better to do housewives who are completely out of touch. 

    Yea lets take away the Breaking Bad action figures, but leave the Jason, Friday 13th, Freddy Kruger, and 1000 other overly violent video games and the merchandise that goes with them on the shelf. THAT makes sense. 

    Little Johnny (not THAT little Johnny) has no f'n clue what Breaking Bad is, nor does he care.  That stuff is there for adults, just like the McFarlane stuff, just like a ton of other items. Don't like it?  Don't buy it. Is you're kid going to suddenly start watching AMC re-runs and drive himself down to the toy store to get these items? 

    Seriously... WTF is wrong with people?  

     



  • Agree awfully reactionary.
    Still have a bounty of "violent" toys.
    Whatever.

    Have to say have you checked the better call Saul web page out?
    It's fricking hilarious....
    ---------------------------------------------
    --- Chopper9 wrote:

    Fück those nothing better to do housewives who are completely out of touch. 

    Yea lets take away the Breaking Bad action figures, but leave the Jason, Friday 13th, Freddy Kruger, and 1000 other overly violent video games and the merchandise that goes with them on the shelf. THAT makes sense. 

    Little Johnny (not THAT little Johnny) has no f'n clue what Breaking Bad is, nor does he care.  That stuff is there for adults, just like the McFarlane stuff, just like a ton of other items. Don't like it?  Don't buy it. Is you're kid going to suddenly start watching AMC re-runs and drive himself down to the toy store to get these items? 

    Seriously... WTF is wrong with people?  

     



    ---------------------------------------------

  • JackTBurton wrote:

    Agree awfully reactionary.


    I find it hilariously depressing that Aaron Paul takes to Twitter to decry this move prompted by a change.org petition when last year he succumbed to Twitter pressure from a change.org petition.

    I think Geico had it right when the caveman said, "Next time do a little research."  It's way too easy for virtual activists to sway public opinion.  Because these days people's attention spans run about 10 seconds.

    I miss this guy:

  • JackTBurton wrote:



    Seriously... WTF is wrong with people?  

     
    ---------------------------------------------
    IDK. Maybe the fact very few kids grow up to be holiday thematic serial killers and there is a heroin epidemic? noidea

    Makes people a bit sensitive?

    There is no decent reason to market a drug making/dealing action figure. It's stupid and to decry PC does nothing to mitigate that brand of stupid.

    Particularly when I couldn't get anyone to buy my idea of Crip and Blood toy soldiers to update toy army men for certain SES segments 30 years ago. You know, molded plastic in red and blue and '64's instead of tanks?

    I should be retired with millions dodging taxes on a Bahamian island with NRTPRZ but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It was considered "offensive" and "Racsist". So if I didn't get mine why should they get thier?

  • Nas - really? These aren't action figures kids play with. They are collectibles.
    I understand it takes a village to raise a child but there are other items in that store that are or could be deemed equally if not more in appropriate than those. Those aren't yanked are they?
    It's the aisle they make for us adults to look at while the mrs and kids are shopping for sophia the first and Mickey Mouse swag. Lol - you been out of the game for a while but you will understand soon enough - lol!

    It's like letting tv raise your kids and not being responsible for what they watch and instead of blaming the poor parenting they blame the tv. Which may actually be appropriate due to the fact they spend more time in front of the tv than they do with their folks

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- Nasdaq wrote:


    JackTBurton wrote:



    Seriously... WTF is wrong with people?  

     
    ---------------------------------------------
    IDK. Maybe the fact very few kids grow up to be holiday thematic serial killers and there is a heroin epidemic? noidea

    Makes people a bit sensitive?

    There is no decent reason to market a drug making/dealing action figure. It's stupid and to decry PC does nothing to mitigate that brand of stupid.

    Particularly when I couldn't get anyone to buy my idea of Crip and Blood toy soldiers to update toy army men for certain SES segments 30 years ago. You know, molded plastic in red and blue and '64's instead of tanks?

    I should be retired with millions dodging taxes on a Bahamian island with NRTPRZ but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It was considered "offensive" and "Racsist". So if I didn't get mine why should they get thier?

    ---------------------------------------------

  • JackTBurton wrote:
    Nas - really? These aren't action figures kids play with. They are collectibles.--
    Uhhhh nevermind.



  • ---------------------------------------------
    --- Nasdaq wrote:


    JackTBurton wrote:
    Nas - really? These aren't action figures kids play with. They are collectibles.--
    Uhhhh nevermind.

    ---------------------------------------------

    I mean I will buy the Walt action figure for my 5 year old.
    But absolutely not for my 2 year old.
    Have to draw a line somewhere right?
  • Premieres next Sunday and then they're doing another show the next day (Monday).  The trailers don't really do much for me but you can get a real short glimpse that Saul was someone else before Saul and my guess is he figures out a way how to wrangle a bunch of money out of the firm he is the partner in instead of getting forced out like they try to do.  Thats just my theory.  Can't tell if they're going to go more docu / serious style ala BB or more comedic drama ala Saul's character. 

  • From what i have read up on - the tone is more like bb - this isn't a comedy however his character will be saul - so there will be some comedic lines.
    I think it focuses on how jimmy McGill becomes saul goodman, crooked lawyer.
    Mike is in it. According to the creator the time frame flops around (or will) so it's not a traditional even time line, it will skip around and some of the BB time frame will be covered. I suspect there will be organized crime, drugs and some good bad guys along the way.
    I am going to give it a shot, I liked saul as a character and mike so it could be very good tv.


    ---------------------------------------------
    --- FaithInPhil wrote:

    Premieres next Sunday and then they're doing another show the next day (Monday).  The trailers don't really do much for me but you can get a real short glimpse that Saul was someone else before Saul and my guess is he figures out a way how to wrangle a bunch of money out of the firm he is the partner in instead of getting forced out like they try to do.  Thats just my theory.  Can't tell if they're going to go more docu / serious style ala BB or more comedic drama ala Saul's character. 



    ---------------------------------------------

  • Yeah I will definently give it a shot. BB was my favorite series of all time. However, I am not really one to comment since I don't really watch TV unless its live sports. I watch netflix documentaries once in awhile but other than GoT, there is literally not a single show on TV that I could comment on.


  • I hear ya. It's on sundays - so the mrs can Dvr whatever house wives of whatever is on now and watch this.
    I welcome it!
    Good news on the GOT - trailer hit. Looked awfully fricking good

    ---------------------------------------------
    --- FaithInPhil wrote:

    Yeah I will definently give it a shot. BB was my favorite series of all time. However, I am not really one to comment since I don't really watch TV unless its live sports. I watch netflix documentaries once in awhile but other than GoT, there is literally not a single show on TV that I could comment on.

    ---------------------------------------------
  • Got the makings of a good show.
    Started with him miserably and scared working at the Cinnabon in Omaha....
    Good tone and well done pilot...

  • It's setting a pretty solid tone. Nothing too outstanding too far but a nice foundation has been laid. Can't wait to see Mike become Mike.

    I do think this show has a somewhat modest ceiling, though, as it strives to basically be Breaking Bad. I also hope they give Odenkirk more comedic jurisdiction. That's what makes him great. He is a comedian by trade.



  • Yes - SNL writer. He's very talented.
    I like the show.
    ---------------------------------------------
    --- mooseahoy wrote:

    It's setting a pretty solid tone. Nothing too outstanding too far but a nice foundation has been laid. Can't wait to see Mike become Mike.

    I do think this show has a somewhat modest ceiling, though, as it strives to basically be Breaking Bad. I also hope they give Odenkirk more comedic jurisdiction. That's what makes him great. He is a comedian by trade.

    ---------------------------------------------
  • I'm very happy with how this show's starting out.  The last episode when it showed Jimmy hustling was entertaining as hell.  A couple thoughts on the first 4 episodes.

    - The opening sequence with Saul working at a mall in Omaha was exactly how this show should start.

    - I like how Jimmy and Mike's relationship slowly starts out and builds up.  Mike is the man.  Just a great character.

    - You can tell when the creator's of "Better call Saul" sat down and started theyweren't 100% sure which way to go with it.  The 1st couple of episode's were kind of all over the place.  It was still good, but I think we'll get a better feel for where its heading when season 1 wraps up.

    - The older brother character is confusing to me.  The guy obviously has some serious health/mental issue's, but he helped start a successful lawyer business.  Makes you wonder how he got this way.  I'm sure this will be answered in time.

    - The ceiling of this showis WAY lower then BrBa and we all know that.  The end product (Saul Goodman/Walter White) aren't even comparable.  Im confident Vince will create characters to make this show better then OK though.

    Overall it's as good of a show as I could ask for as a spin off from (IMO) the best drama ever made.

  • I think one thing has been set for this series, Mike Ehrmantraut will be the Jesse Pinkman of "better call saul".

    What an amazing job they did on this last episode.  All the questions we had about Mike's past were answered.  Good stuff.

  • Best episode yet, for my money. Even with limited amount of Saul.