Book Recommendation

Book Recommendation

• I didn't see it posted. Red Raising. Another trilogy the last book comes out on January.

Just finished the 2nd book, The Golden Son, it was even better than the first.

• JackTBurton wrote:
    I am fascinated by the event - never really read anything on it extensively.
    Put that on the list.
    Christ man they heard the explosion nearly 4,000 miles away. Unreal.

You like non fiction - check this out, reads like fiction.
    The Devil Drives: A Life of Sir Richard Burton by Fawn M. Brodie
    One of the single most intersting men who ever lived. Soldier, explorer, linguist, womanizer, adventurer - one of my favorite....

---------------------------------------------
    --- ArmondSmith2k wrote:

I don't have time to go back through the thread, I'm pretty certain it's been mentioned but anyone who still hasn't read Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester is really missing out.

I hardly put it down once I cracked the cover.

Brilliant, compelling. It's paced beautifully. The author ties it wonderfully to geopolitical realities that echo through modern times as well and also to the advent of tectonic theory in geology and also to biology related science.

It's just fantastic.

You will learn a lot.

And you'll understand why Krakatoa is my second most posted about subject of all time.

I read mostly nonfiction so I'm usually not all gushing about my fare, but this may be the best book I have ever read.

---------------------------------------------

They recorded the change in air pressure on barometers in England.  Wow.

• Recently finished The Corner. Written by the guy who produced The Wire.  Best book I've read in a long time.  It details the day to day existence of an inner city drug neighborhood.   It reads like fiction in that it details what's going on in each character's mind.  Yet, itclaims to have had direct access to the characters and claims to be non-fiction.  Regardless, it's a powerful  and personal story about life in some inner city neighborhoods.  It's still provoking reflection even after finishing it.  I highly recommend it.

• Glad I cehcked this underutilized thread today. Gotta get home and then take youngest to soccer for a couple hours. Gonna grab this recommendation on the Kindle and have something to read.
    JabbaTheMutt wrote:
    Recently finished The Corner.  Written by the guy who produced The Wire.  Best book I've read in a long time.  It details the day to day existence of an inner city drug neighborhood.   It reads like fiction in that it details what's going on in each character's mind.  Yet, it claims to have had direct access to the characters and claims to be non-fiction.  Regardless, it's a powerful  and personal story about life in some inner city neighborhoods.  It's still provoking reflection even after finishing it.  I highly recommend it.
  • BTW, speaking of youngest, she has to read "Where Am I Wearing"  by Kelsey Timmerman. So I got it to read as well. See what theses humps are pushing on my kid ;-)
    Author is Miami of Ohio grad, younger guy, woke up one morning and looked at his shirt,sandals and underwear and decided to take a 2nd mortgage and go to each place where they are actually manufactured to see the quality of life of the workers.

Great concept, and good read. He keeps it apolitical, but it's interesting.

He hasa second book as well, "Where Am I Eating" where he goes and traces his Starbucks, Red Lobster, and bananas. 

Again, worth the reads. Very well done. Especially 2nd book.

• Wow.  Blasts, capers and 20 on the hype.

Excellent book.

Depressing as hell. But an excellent book.  Thanks for the recommendation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/arts/television/for-deandre-mccullough-a-better-life-was-always-just-out-of-reach.html

JabbaTheMutt wrote:
    Recently finished The Corner.  Written by the guy who produced The Wire.  Best book I've read in a long time.  It details the day to day existence of an inner city drug neighborhood.   It reads like fiction in that it details what's going on in each character's mind.  Yet, it claims to have had direct access to the characters and claims to be non-fiction.  Regardless, it's a powerful  and personal story about life in some inner city neighborhoods.  It's still provoking reflection even after finishing it.  I highlyrecommend it.
  • Another trilogy I just finished. A strong recommendation, not as good as Game of Thrones book and etc, but I enjoyed them.

Raven's Shadow series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/81339-raven-s-shadow

• I just read Red Rising and The Golden Son - Best SciFy I've ever read. 3rd book comes out in February. I can't recommend this enough, I'm having a hard time starting another book from those books being so good

• forty4five5 wrote: I just read Red Rising and The Golden Son - Best SciFy I've ever read. 3rd book comes out in February. I can't recommend this enough, I'm having a hard time starting another book from those books being sogood

Third book is good as good as the first two. :)

• Reading "The Expanse" series by James S.A. Corey (really it's two guys who help George RR Martin with GOT).
    I am enjoying it immensely.

• 2/3rds of the way through Old Man's War by John Scalzi, but it is a definite recommendation already.

John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce?and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stakeour own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at thefront. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine?and what he will become is far stranger.

• Just finished book 1 of the Cinder Spires series by Jim Butcher. I'm a bit of a fan boy from his Dresden Files but I thought it was very good. 

• about 320 pages into The Lies of Locke Lamora - and its freakin great so far!

An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman Bastards, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying.

• I enjoyed it as well. Very good book!

• forty4five5 wrote: about 320 pages into The Lies of Locke Lamora - and its freakin great so far!

An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman Bastards, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying.

I read that as well. I enjoyed it very much. Been thinking about book two but the reviews aren't as great so I've been reading other things. Will probably get to it eventually. 

• bankone wrote: Reading "The Expanse" series by James S.A. Corey (really it's two guys who help George RR Martin with GOT).
    I am enjoying it immensely.

Martin has two helpers and it STILL takes him the better part of a decade to finish a freaking book!?!

• forty4five5 wrote: about 320 pages into The Lies of Locke Lamora - and its freakin great so far!

Keep going.  Book 2 (Red Seas under Red Skies) is as good if not better than the first.  Love the Lamora series.

• I really should have started paying more attention to this thread. I'm about 100 pages into Morning Star and so far this it has been just as good as Red Rising and Golden Son. I came here to recommend this series and was beaten to the punch by quite a bit, and by multiple people. I didn't know what I was missing. Anyone that likes Greek/Norse mythology, rising against oppression, and futuristic sci if should really check this series out. Great stuff.

Another series that follows a similar formula is Jay Kristoff's Lotus War trilogy. It starts with Stormdancer. Kinslayer and endsinger are the 2nd and 3rd books. I still have to start Endsinger after I finish Moring Star. Its another futuristic rising against the system series. It is more of a Steampunk/Bladerunner feel.

cccjwh wrote: I didn't see it posted. Red Raising. Another trilogy the last book comes out on January.

Just finished the 2nd book, The Golden Son, it was even better than the first.

• greekdawg1 said... (original post)

[strong]forty4five5 wrote:[/strong] about 320 pages into The Lies of Locke Lamora - and its freakin great so far!

Keep going.  Book 2 (Red Seas under Red Skies) is as good if not better than the first.  Love the Lamora series.

I've got about 150 pages left of Red Sea. I went into out thinking there was no way it'd be as good as the first book. I was sorely mistaken. Great series!

• Deadwood, by Pete Dexter. Guy can write, wild, wild stuff. Yes it's the basis for the HBO show. Sex and violence artfully portrayed. Funny.

• The Witcher stories. There are a ton of great characters. They first 2 though are a collection of short stories and it can sometimes be a little hard to follow. Then there is a 5 book series that I'm halfway through that's really good.

• If you like the Red Rising books, the author just release a follow up to the trilogy. Iron Gold. I'm about half way through, really liking it so far.

• Iron Gold

The 4th book in the Red Rising series was really good as well.

• forty4five5 said... (original post)

Iron Gold

The 4th book in the Red Rising series was really good as well.

The 5th book Dark Age coming out this month.

I can recommend Daemon and Freedom TM. Technology out of control thriller.

• This storm by James Elroy is a great book. I recommend any of his books.