Winter is Coming.

Winter is Coming.

• I thought I would start a thread seeing how the true detective one was being littered with game of thrones
    So here it is - discuss both the books and the show.

Anyone reading the books? Want to talk? Got questions?
    The tv show? Discuss the actors? Story lines?
    Will Martin finish the books before the tv series does?

All these and more -
    Start with a simple one - anyone read the books? If so which is your favorite? Least?
    At least Brett and I will keep this one going - lol!

• Discussion
  • Worst-  A Feast for Crows- Boring by comparison and centers around 2 characters I dislike most in Cersei and Sansa.

Best- A Storm of Swords-  Action-packed and so many memorable moments I.e. Red Wedding, Battle of the Wall and transforming Jaime Lannister into a cult favorite.

Also, looking forward to Joseph Gatt's portrayal of Styr. He played a pretty good psychopath on Banshee in season 1.

• Make a good styr....their casting has been excellent. Struan Rodgers - google him. He's playing a guy that tells me they are speeding stuff up.

Feast for me too...briene is awful to read. Not bad in the show however. It's wierd I hated reading/thecharacter of Jorah in the books but Ian Glen has killed it, one of my favorite in the show, and least favorite in the books.

Storm of Swords may be one of the finest books ever writen in that specific genre.....

---------------------------------------------
    --- ViolentByDesign wrote:

Worst-  A Feast for Crows- Boring by comparison and centers around 2 characters I dislike most in Cersei and Sansa.

Best- A Storm of Swords-  Action-packed and so many memorable moments I.e. Red Wedding, Battle of the Wall and transforming Jaime Lannister into a cult favorite.

Also, looking forward to Joseph Gatt's portrayal of Styr. He played a pretty good psychopath on Banshee in season 1.

• Good idea to start a separate thread.

Yes, I have read the books and watched the show.  I am currently re-reading A Dance with Dragons.

A Storm of Swords is by far the best book of the series.  I also agree that it might be one of the best fantasy books ever.

A Feast for Crows is by far the worst.  Rambling story lines, too many minor character chapters.  Little action, particularly relative to the first three books.

Dragons seems to be a better read the second time through.

• Had to reread dance. A lot of IMO important things that at first read were minor or throw away.
    Loved the tone - it's getting bad only to get much, much worse for both the good guys and bad guys of westros.
    Here is a question brett and to any thathave read dance and DANGER I will be vague as possible but could be deemed spoilers for strictly the tv fans. However none of it will come into play for a bit tv wise....
    1. The letter? Red herring? Or legit? I really don't know because the time sequence of events is muddy. Things are happening at the same time, so chapter wise events are going on at the same time? I think it maybe the guy being discussed as "captured" writing the letter in order to get the tended recipent to remove him from his current obligations. Or it is what it says exactly. That's one line I can't wait to see the demise of - him and his father best have a gruesome and eventful demise.....
    2. Tree guy a good guy or bad? Creepy is the best way to describe it...I am thinking badnews for our favorite little guy...
    3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is. Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feeling she is someone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times from the very begining.....
    4. Got a feeling the blond Viking princess may have a role - particularly with our lord commander and our firey witch....
    5. The grave digger from feast? You get the notion he is how shall we say, our defender of the faith and will meet his frankenstien sibling? It's funny how they have tied the particular character with both the stark girls aye?

--- brett wrote:

Good idea to start a separate thread.

Yes, I have read the books and watched the show.  I am currently re-reading A Dance with Dragons.

A Storm of Swords is by far the best book of the series.  I also agree that it might be one of the best fantasy books ever.

A Feast for Crows is by far the worst.  Rambling story lines, too many minor character chapters.  Little action, particularly relative to the first three books.

• JackTBurton wrote: Had to reread dance. A lot of IMO important things that at first read were minor or throw away.
    Loved the tone - it's getting bad only to get much, much worse for both the good guys and bad guys of westros.
    Here is a question brett and to any that have read dance and DANGER I will be vague as possible but could be deemed spoilers for strictly the tv fans. However none of it will come into play for a bit tv wise....
    1. The letter? Red herring? Or legit? I really don't know because the time sequence of events is muddy. Things are happening at the same time, so chapter wise events are going on at the same time? I think it maybe the guy being discussed as "captured" writing the letter in order to get the tended recipent to remove him from his current obligations. Or it is what it says exactly. That's one line I can't wait to see the demise of - him and his father best have a gruesome and eventful demise.....
    2. Tree guy a good guy orbad? Creepy is the best way to describe it...I am thinking bad news for our favorite little guy...
    3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is. Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feeling she is someone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times from the very begining.....
    4. Got a feeling the blond Viking princess may have a role - particularly with our lord commander and our firey witch....
    5. The grave digger from feast? You get the notion he ishow shall we say, our defender of the faith and will meet his frankenstien sibling? It's funny how they have tied the particular character with both the stark girls aye?

--- brett wrote:

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy so I'm going to have to dust off my copy of Dragons. Fantastic series btw if you get the chance. I think the one question we are all looking forward to..... Jon Snow. Also, Tyrion and Dany?
  • I have heard its a fun read (Abercrombie)
    What about our three dragons - Jon, Danny and my second favorite Lannister?
    Looks like two out of three are on a collision course, that little intro scene may in fact be one i am looking forward to the most- lol!
    And i dont think Jon is - well, how they left him or I will be a kinda mad. Martin needed a plot device to get him out of his current situation, admittedly it wasn't one I saw coming. But no way he is.
    How he uhm, returns is a question and it sort of lets him free of his current obligations to be part of the bigger picture.
    Speaking of snow - you buy into his parentage? A song of fire and ice IMO directly implies him? Agree?
    Or perhaps the basic theme or climatic end possibly. Or both?

JackTBurton wrote: Had to reread dance. A lot of IMO important things that at first read were minor or throw away.
    Here is a question brett and to any that have read dance and DANGER I will be vague as possible but could be deemed spoilers for strictly the tv fans. However none of it will come into play for a bit tv wise....
    1. The letter? Red herring? Or legit? I really don't know because the time sequence of events is muddy. Things are happening at the same time, so chapter wise events are going on at the same time? I think it maybe the guy being discussed as "captured" writing the letter in order to get the tended recipent to remove him from his current obligations. Or it is what it says exactly. That's one line I can't wait to see the demise of - him andhis father best have a gruesome and eventful demise.....
    2. Tree guy a good guy or bad? Creepy is the best way to describe it...I am thinking bad news for our favorite little guy...
    3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is.Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feeling she is someone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times from the very begining.....
    5. The grave digger from feast? You get the notion he is how shall we say, our defender of the faith and will meet his frankenstien sibling? It's funny how they have tied the particular character with both the stark girls aye?

--- brett wrote:

---------------------------------------------I just finished Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy so I'm going to have to dust off my copy of Dragons. Fantastic series btw if you get the chance. I think the one question we are all looking forward to..... Jon Snow. Also, Tyrion and Dany?

• I've only read into about a third of Dragons so far, and I may be forgetting some things or haven't remembered them since I haven't progressed all that far.  Responses below:
    JackTBurton wrote: Had to reread dance. A lot of IMO important things that at first read were minor or throw away.
    1. The letter? Red herring? Or legit? I really don't know because the time sequence of events is muddy. Things are happening at the same time, so chapter wise events are going on at the same time? I think it maybe the guy being discussed as "captured" writing the letter in order to get the tended recipent to remove him from his current obligations. Orit is what it says exactly. That's one line I can't wait to see the demise of - him and his father best have a gruesome and eventful demise.....

BCB:  I believe I know who you are talking about and I agree.  I want them torn up by some giant or something.  I think the letter is probably something else, perhaps along the lines of what you say.

2. Tree guy a good guy or bad? Creepy is the best way to describe it...I am thinking bad news for our favorite little guy...

BCB:  I think thisis a good thing and will factor into the end game significantly, as the little guy is going to be a big player, imo.

3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is. Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feelingshe is someone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times from the very begining.....

BCB:  I may be confused here, but hasn't that already been explained in Dragons?  Or are you talking about someone else?  PM me if you want to talk specifics without spoilers.  I just read through part of that.  I'll have to go back and look at it again.

BCB:  Yep.  She is going to kick some major ass.  It's obvious that she is set up for it.

Again, I'm not exactly sure who you are talking about here.  I'll look it up.

--- brett wrote:

• This isn't really spoilerish but the blackfyres were the bastard targaryens (bloodraven was the hand) and they were exiled due to being deposed in the uprising over the succession and he founded the mercenary troop the golden company. Same one conningtonis lined up with. He may look like a targaryen (the boy) but I beleive he isn't rhaegars son and the girl is likely Ashara Dayne.

The grave digger (large man with a limp and the tempermemental horse) in the salt flats with briene and her boring companions is likely the hound - maybe. Which would be ironic of the religious affiliation.

Tree guy is kinda like a creepy yoda. But the CHildren are really, really creepy....
    The element of fantasy is slowly morphing into the story, or some sortof mythology.
    Cold hands is another one - seems to be really, really, really old. Night King?

--- brett wrote:

I've only read into about a third of Dragons so far, and I may be forgetting some things or haven't remembered them since I haven't progressed all that far.  Responses below:

BCB:  I believe I know who you are talking about and I agree.  I want them torn up by some giant or something.  I think the letter is probably something else, perhaps along the lines of what you say.

BCB:  I think this is a good thing and will factor into the end game significantly, as the little guy is going to be a big player, imo.

3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is. Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feeling she is someone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times fromthe very begining.....

BCB:  I may be confused here, but hasn't that already been explained in Dragons?  Or are you talking about someone else?  PM me if you want to talk specifics without spoilers.  I just read through part of that.  I'll have togo back and look at it again.

BCB:  Yep.  She is going to kick some major ass.  It's obvious that she is set up for it.

--- brett wrote:

• JackTBurton wrote: This isn't really spoilerish but the blackfyres were the bastard targaryens (bloodraven was the hand) and they were exiled due to being deposed in the uprising over the succession and he founded the mercenary troop the golden company. Same one connington is lined up with. He may look like a targaryen (the boy) but I beleive he isn't rhaegars son and the girl is likely Ashara Dayne.

The grave digger (large man with a limp and the tempermemental horse) in the salt flats with briene and her boring companions is likely the hound - maybe. Which would be ironic of the religious affiliation.

Tree guy is kinda like a creepy yoda. But the CHildren are really, really creepy....
    The element of fantasy is slowly morphing into the story, or some sort of mythology.
    Cold hands is another one - seems to be really, really, really old. Night King?

--- brett wrote:

I've only read into about a third of Dragons so far, and I may be forgetting some things or haven't remembered them since I haven't progressed all that far.  Responses below:

BCB:  I think this is a good thing and will factor into the end game significantly, as the little guy is going to be a big player, imo.

3. Who is the kid with connington? No way is he who he says he is. Blackfyre? And is traveling with Ned's old flame? Got a feeling she issomeone who has been discussed and mentioned a few times from the very begining.....

BCB:  I may be confused here, but hasn't that already been explained in Dragons?  Or are you talking about someone else?  PM me if you want to talk specifics without spoilers.  I just read through part of that.  I'll have to go back and look at it again.

--- brett wrote:

A Feast for Crows isby far the worst.  Rambling story lines, too many minor character chapters.  Little action, particularly relative to the first three books.

Yes, I understand the Blackfyres piece.  And you are talking about the same characters I thought you were.  You don't believe the kid is Rhaegor's after all?  Interesting.

On the grave digger, I had to look that one up. He'll be back in the story for sure.

I thought Cold Hands might be Benjen Stark who was lost at the very beginning of the first book.  Either way, I think he comes back somehow.

As for the fantasy part, I'm really not sure how that is going to play out.  At least, I expect the mythology and history (of the Others as well perhaps) to be explained through them.  They are all scary characters to be sure, but again, I believe they will have a positive impact on the story.
  • Yes, I understand the Blackfyres piece.  And you are talking about the same characters I thought you were.  You don't believe the kid is Rhaegor's after all?  Interesting.

On the grave digger, I had to look that one up. He'll be back in the story for sure.

I thought Cold Hands might be Benjen Stark who was lost at the very beginning of the first book.  Either way, I think he comes back somehow.

As for the fantasy part, I'm really not sure how that is going to play out.  At least, I expect the mythology and history (of the Others as well perhaps) to be explained through them.  They are all scary characters to be sure, but again, I believe they will have a positive impact on the story.

No - I don't think he who connington is saying he is. Distant cousin perhaps - but not A -
    I do beleive rhaegar's son is already part of this epic tale from the very beginning ; )
    I do think Benjen will play a part - he has to be the POV we see up north with what these walking icy zombies are and what they want. Or he was the one that left the cache and possibly the horn that may or may not be a red herring.
    But i don't think he's the tour guide of the north. I think he maybe the brother in the ghost story that Reed children were telling at the night fort, the one that went bad and head over heals for the zombie icicle queen.
    Maybe.

And Howland Reed - we ever going to meet this guy? I know Martin has to hold off as dead Ned's buddy may be the Calvary when the stuff really hits the fan plus he may or may not be sitting on the biggest reveal (maybe) in the entire series. But he sounds like a rather interesting chap huh?

• Yep, I understand what you're getting at with Rhaegor's son.  Makes sense.

Benjen could be the ghost story brother as well.  Lots of possibilities.

I suspect you're right that Howland is also part of the end game and knows everything about Ned.

• ---------------------------------------------
    --- brett wrote:

Yep, I understand what you're getting at with Rhaegor's son.  Makes sense.

Benjen could be the ghost story brother as well.  Lots of possibilities.

I suspect you're right that Howland is also part of the end game and knows everything about Ned.

Howland knows where the bodies are buried so to speak. He was there so if what I think happened there and their was a baby he would be the guy that fills in the blanks
    And I think Reed knows how to beat the bad guys lol!
  • youtu.be/J5iS3tULXMQ

For those that missed the hbo special foreshadowing season 4.
    Good stuff as it hints at my personal favorite characters complexity - kingslayer.

Also mentions who has the most bad ass line in the series? So many to choose from.
    My favorite should be this season - "gold on the east bank or steel on the west"......

• JackTBurton wrote: youtu.be/J5iS3tULXMQ

Good stuff as it hints at my personal favorite characters complexity - kingslayer.

Also mentions who has the most bad ass line in the series? So many to choose from.
    My favorite should be this season - "gold on the east bank or steel on the west"......
    I have to admit it would be hard to believe that Jamie Lannister would become such a beloved character after his dubious start.

My personal fave quote in the series-

"Where do I begin, my lords and ladies? I'm a vile man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting. I have lied and cheated. Gambled and whored. I'm not particularly good at violence, but I'm good at convincing others to do violence for me. You want specifics, I suppose. When I was seven, I saw a servant girl bathing in the river. Istole her robe. She was forced to return to the castle naked and in tears. If I close my eyes, I can still see her tits bouncing. When I was ten, I stuffed my uncle's boots with goat ****. When confronted with my crime, I blamed a squire. Poor boy was flogged and I escaped justice. When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake. I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry! [makes masturbation gestures] Into the turtle stew, which I do believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did. Once I brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..." - Tyrion
  • From the preview from last night, I get the idea that Maise Williams is the practical joker in the crew.  Amazing that she still looks much the same as she did when she started the series.  Bran certainly looks older.

Anyway, they really didn't give much away as I expected.  Season 4 is going to be intense, ladies and gentlemen.

• Love the Tyrion confession. I waffle on which brother is my favorite but jamie is far and away the most complicated character of the tale, and likely the coolest. Agree he was painted to be the villan and hated but Martin does a wonderful job of peering around the curtain. He is probably the most "honorable" character in the entire series and most flawed but his coming to grips with it is quite masterful.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled byso many for my finest act."
    - kingslayer

JackTBurton wrote: youtu.be/J5iS3tULXMQ

I have to admit it would be hard to believe that Jamie Lannister would become such a beloved character after his dubious start.

"Where do I begin, my lords and ladies? I'm a vile man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting. I have lied and cheated. Gambled and whored. I'm not particularly good at violence, but I'm good at convincing others to do violence for me. You want specifics, I suppose. When I was seven, I saw a servant girl bathing in the river. I stole her robe. She was forced to return to the castle naked and in tears. If I close my eyes, I can still see her tits bouncing. When I was ten, I stuffed my uncle's boots with goat ****. When confronted with my crime, I blamed a squire. Poor boy was flogged and I escaped justice. When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake. I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry! [makes masturbation gestures] Into the turtle stew, which I do believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did. Once I brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..." - Tyrion

• Not much. I gather they are doing some condensing if what I saw was being depicted.
    It's going to be a barnburner. My favorite part of SOS. I do hope they don't omit the gold over there or steel over here line.
    The guy playing indigo Montoya errrprince oberyn seems like he nails it as well

--- brett wrote:

From the preview from last night, I get the idea that Maise Williams is the practical joker in the crew.  Amazing that she still looks much the same as she did when she started the series.  Bran certainly looks older.

Anyway, they really didn't give much away as I expected.  Season 4 is going to be intense, ladies and gentlemen.

• JackTBurton wrote: Not much. I gather they are doing some condensing if what I saw was being depicted.
    It's going to be a barnburner. My favorite part of SOS. I do hope they don't omit the gold over there or steel over here line.
    The guy playing indigo Montoya errr prince oberyn seems like he nails it as well

--- brett wrote:

From the preview from last night, I get the idea that Maise Williams is the practical joker in the crew.  Amazing that she still looks much the same as she did when she started the series.  Bran certainly looks older.

I expect some condensing, but so far they've been pretty true to the books.

The Oberyn actor looks good.  I agree.  That whole thing should be awesome.

• JackTBurton wrote:
    Love the Tyrion confession. I waffle on which brother is my favorite but jamie is far and away the most complicated character of the tale, and likely the coolest. Agree he was painted to be the villan and hated but Martin does a wonderful job of peering around the curtain. He is probably the most "honorable" character in the entire series and most flawed but his coming to grips with it is quite masterful.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."
    - kingslayer

JackTBurton wrote:youtu.be/J5iS3tULXMQ

Also mentionswho has the most bad ass line in the series? So many to choose from.

"Where do I begin, my lords and ladies? I'm a vile man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting. I have lied and cheated. Gambled and whored. I'm not particularly good at violence, but I'm good at convincing others to do violence for me. You want specifics, I suppose. When I was seven, I saw a servant girl bathing in the river. I stole her robe. She was forced to return to the castle naked and in tears. If I close my eyes, I can still see her tits bouncing. When I was ten, I stuffed my uncle's boots with goat ****. When confronted with my crime, I blamed a squire. Poor boy was flogged and I escaped justice. When I was twelve, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake. I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry! [makes masturbation gestures] Into the turtle stew, which I do believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did. Once I brought a jackass and a honeycombinto a brothel..." - Tyrion

Generally agree.  I have to say Martin has done a great job with the Tyrion character, though.  Extremely intelligent and a smart ass, one of my favorite combinations.
  • I have to ask before I read this thread... are there any spoilers?

Love the series... didn't read the books.

Don't want to read anything I shouldn’t see.

--- Chopper9 wrote:

I have to ask before I read this thread... are there any spoilers?

Love the series... didn't read the books.

Don't want to read anything I shouldn’t see.

There are some. I am trying to be cautious - lot of folks havnt read the books.
    So if there are spoilers we have been rather vague and you would only know if read the books.
    Make sense?
    Feel free to fire away brother
  • Bumping the thread....
    Winter is coming this Sunday....and the red viper is enroute....

• JackTBurton wrote: Bumping the thread....
    ..with Lady Stoneheart not far behind...

--- DrMemory wrote:

JackTBurton wrote: Bumping the thread....
    ..with Lady Stoneheart not far behind...

Admittedly my least favorite. God I really don't like that bit as I hope it's going somewhere quickly in the next installment
  • I hate this waiting ****. They need to go Netflix style and release them all at once.  I watched House of Cards season 2 over a weekend lol