Cavs @ Magic-10-23-19-OPENING NIGHT GAME THREAD

Cavs @ Magic-10-23-19-OPENING NIGHT GAME THREAD

• I think this is the message board where most people from our old message board will post. Ok, it's finally here, basketball season. I think this year, more so than any other year, at least lately will be wide open. No clear cut favorites to get to the finals. Kind of a bummer that Zion will miss about 6 weeks. I really wanted to see him play. Go Cavs

• Discussion
  • Yeah, if they can all find it. The old board was cut off without even a notification beyond "Welcome to the end of the internet!" lol

• Will be an interesting season watching these youngsters grow and seeing if the FO moves Love and/or TT.

• Garland will get the start today along side of Sexton

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Will be an interesting season watching these youngsters grow and seeing if the FO moves Love and/or TT.

I think both Love and TT get moved sometime this year.

• Cedi looking good early

• this one is starting to slip away

• if can these Cavs can learn to attack the rim as aggressively as they shoot the three ball they'll be a lot better than what they are looking like tonight. I can't stand it when they get in the paint and stop for fadeways and floaters

• Nance still can't shoot FTs. 3 point and shooting % was terrible (Orl 3 pt/ft wasn't much better). Too many empty possessions. Some due to poor shooting, some to turn overs. Overall about one could expect from a young team playing 3 rookies at times.

• Also Garland seems to have some range to his shot.

• A better start than I expected. I thought the defense might be worse than last year, but they held the Magic to 43% from the field and 30% from the line for 94 points. Holding the opponent to 94 gives to a chance to win a lot of games.

Unfortunately, the offense sucked (37.1% from the field and 26.5% from downtown). The Cavs missed a lot of wide open shots. As Kevin Love put it...

"Little lapses on both sides of the ball. We will clean that up and there will be ups and downs early on because we have to get everybody on the same page, together and adjusted to Coach’s system.”

Clarkson was off his game as he hit only 2-for-12 and Porter was 0-for-6. A little bit of offense from those guys and this one comes down to the final shot. Porter looked very quick and athletic and got some good looks, but just missed them.

The game was basically lost in the second quarter when the Cavs went just under six minutes without scoring and the Magic went on a 16-0 run. in what turned out to be a 9-point loss. The Cavs need to learn how to stop the bleeding before it gets out of hand.

The starters did pretty well. Cedi played surprisingly well on defense and finished with a team-high +6 when he was on the floor. Love couldn't get going offensively but chipped in with 18 boards, however, he was a team-worst -15. TT got off to a great start going 8-for-11 from the field with 11 boards. Nance made some nice defensive plays and pulled down 14 rebounds but committed five fouls and four turnovers.

What's wrong with Delly's outside shot? He's a career 38% shooter on 3's who has been over 40% twice. He was 0-for-4 last night with two airballs and none of his shots were contested. He was awful last week against Boston, too. But that floater is lethal and his defense looked good.

Looks like Knight is out of the rotation. So much for him working out all summer instead of rehabbing and coming back strong. Or it could be that Beilein really likes Garland and Delly.

Garland got off to a decent start. Beilein referred to him as an "elite passer" and said both Garland and Sexton are going to be "really good". I noticed Sexton was really working hard on defense and had some success. My impression is that both Sexton and Cedi are very aware of how bad their individual defense was last year and are making a determined effort to improve.

The coaching was not even noticeable, which was good. The subs and timeouts seemed to flow normally; nothing to suggest we had a rookie coach working his first game. But we'll see what happens the first time the game is tied in the final minutes and how he handles subs and timeouts.

Orlando finished last season by winning 11 of its last 13 games and won a game against NBA Champion Toronto before falling 4-1 in the first round. They're a pretty good team. The fact that the Cavs were still in it late in the 4th quarter on the road in Game 1 of 82 is pretty encouraging. Now they have two days to tweak some "little lapses" before the home opener against the Pacers, who lost 119-110 to Detroit in their opener.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) A better start than I expected. I thought the defense might be worse than last year, but they held the Magic to 43% from the field and 30% from ...

I would have to agree your assessment... The first quarter was pretty solid for the first game of the year. They missed a ton of 3's but they held were able to hold Orlando under 100 points so that's something. It was a watchable game for the most part unlike most of last year. I will say this. I'm not a fan of having Larry and TT on the floor at the same time. I know it has to happen right now but I still don't like it.

This post was edited by revjj 2 months ago

• revjj said... (original post) I would have to agree your assessment... The first quarter was pretty solid for the first game of the year. They missed a ton of 3's but they he...

TT was good in the paint. He had that baby hook dropping.

Nance was 1-for-5 on 3's. That's not going to cut it but it's only one game. He might shoot better at home. Yep, they just needed to hit three more 3's and it's an overtime game. That would have been 35%, which is not unreasonable.

• TT had a strong game, but I think most defenses will be pretty happy if our primary offense is him taking baby hooks and jumpers. Same with Nance taking 3's. Please shoot more? ... Hopefully our offense is eventually able to generate the shots we want, not the ones our opponents want us to take. That was even a downside of the LeBron days. Due to his reliance on read & react, defenses could steer him because he'd always react to how they defended him.

Beilein is fond of an offense that reads the defense and reacts appropriately, but in theory the offense should have multiple actions and shouldn't stop with a TT hook or Nance 3pter unless the clock is running out.

• Pluto pointed out today that the Magic finished the season 22-9 and was the No. 1 ranked defense in the league over those 31 games, which makes me feel a little better about scoring only 85.

He also mentioned that Delly is playing with a thumb injury which could explain why he airballed two of his four 3-point attempts and missed the other two badly. He was hit on the thumb shooting a layup in the final preseason game and left immediately holding his thumb, which supposedly was already injured before taking another shot. It's interesting that Beilein prefers Delly to Knight as the backup PG even with Delly limited.

I'm hoping to see at least 90 points against Indy and better 3-point shooting than 9-for-30. I'm looking for Clarkson to have a bounce back game.

• Ahh, good point. I forgot Delly jammed that thumb. JB was close to starting him too.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Nance was 1-for-5 on 3's. That's not going to cut it but it's only one game. He might shoot better at home. Yep, they just needed ...

Nance can't should free throws, if they plan for him to attempt 5 threes in a week let alone in a single game we'll have a lock on the worst record in the league. I'm not a big fan of Love at this point in his career, but somethings wrong when Nance attempts 5 threes and Love only 1.

• dms1964 said... (original post) Nance can't should free throws, if they plan for him to attempt 5 threes in a week let alone in a single game we'll have a lock on the wo...

What's wrong is they're leaving Nance alone in hopes he'll shoot a 3 while pressing Love at the 3-point line. Nance needs to make them pay. He hit 33% last year - he just needs to bring it up to about 38% and he will be effective.

• It's an investment to see if Larry can become legit, but there are alternatives to him taking that shot. He can hand or pass the ball to Garland or Sexton and then set a screen on their defender. He needs to learn that kind of stuff too.

• If Nance is going to put up a 3 I'd rather him do it from the center or wings so if he misses he can get back on defense. I don't like him shooting from the corner - if he misses it creates too many fast break opportunities.