Cavs moving forward

Cavs moving forward

• lots of talk in the cooler about the Cavs... I thought Id post my thoughts here. 

First, I'm assuming Lebron is 100% moving forward with Cleveland until he retires and/or dies.    (otherwise we have some changes to do!)

SO what needs done IMO.

1a. Find a true Center and unload Tristan Thompson if at all possible. Thompson is a defense-only Power Forward who has been stretched into the Center position. His contract is way too high for what he gives the team, but he is young so maybe someone would want him? I would try my very best to trade him and then find a true Center or two...   If it werent for his anchor of a contract Id like to keep him and play him in rotation.

1b. JR Smith is another player who is under-performing on both ends of the court and is on a hefty contract.  I dont know who would want him but I would try my best to find a suitor for him.  I am simply not a believer. 

2. The Cavs, if they want to keep up with GS, need to upgrade talent at a few positions.  First is at Guard/Forward -- the opposite spot where Lebron finds himself.   Either a top shooting guard (Butler?) who can also play defense or a top Forward (George?) who can score and also defend the likes of Durant.     The Cavs will need to be extremely savvy and hopefully they can package some under performing players, expiring contracts, and future draft picks(?) to get a couple deals done. 

3. The Cavs need to make major adjustments to their bench players. They need to get younger, quicker, and more athletic.  Say good bye to the old role players [F Channing Frye (34), G/F Dahntay Jones (36), G Kyle Korver (36), G Deron Williams (32), G/F James Jones (36)], and bring in younger players whocan develop and grow with the team and provide some energy on the floor.    Maybe [F Richard Jefferson (37)]'s contract will have some value as a trade and cut deal for another team? 

Basically that leaves the team as: 

(With James as Forward)

G Kyrie Irving (25), G Iman Shumpert (26), 

G ________________, G Kay Felder (22),  

F Lebron James (32),  _______________

F Kevin Love (28), F Derrick Williams (26)

C ________________, C Walter Tavares (25)

(with James as Guard) 

G Kyrie Irving (25), G Iman Shumpert (26)

G Lebron James (32),  G Kay Felder (22)

F  _______________,  F ________________

F Kevin Love (28), F Derrick Williams (26)

C __________________, C Walter Tavares (25)

Yes, a couple of holes that need filled, but if the Cavs can bring in a Butler/George type of player, bring in a 7'0+ footer for Center , and add some more youth as depth then the team should be rolling next year to another NBA Finals.  AND it gives the Cavs 'some' flexibility with $$ and keeps the ability the remain competitive in the future. 

ages listed above are for now...   ages listed in below post is for 2017-18season.

• Discussion
  • I agree that Derrick Williams needs to play ahead of the old men. I disagree on J.R. Smith. J.R. was the biggest spark on the team in game 5. Injuries slowed J.R. down, but he is still a big part of this team.

• D Williams will sign elsewhere for more money. When this team was injured, and he got a lot of playing time, he showed he could still play, and probably earned a decent contract

• Cavs cant let their younger players leave when they show promise, only to replace them old role players.

Instability within is having an effect of deterring players from wanting to come to the Cavs....

• They need to stop trading away their picks if they want to rebuild the club with younger more athletic players

• AlaskanSalmon wrote:

They need to stop trading away their picks if they want to rebuild the club with younger more athletic players

That would be extremely helpful...    its one thing to trade draft pick(s) for a 20 something player, but when you end up with almost half the roster over 32/33 then there is a serious problem. 

• Lets say I'm being too hard on JR and TT....   JR isnt a older glorified, backup Guard, and Tristan isnt a no-offense, undersized Center...    and those two can live up to their contracts over the next 3 years.  That still leaves theCavs with a hole at Forward or at the minimum a needed upgrade at Guard, AND the Cavs need plenty of help on the bench.  As you can see, removing Love for another Forward such as PG does little to improve the team - or as someone else stated, it doesnt move the needle.  The Cavs need to find a way to ADD more younger and athletic talent with no money and no draft picks and without trading any of the key players we currently have. 

(With James listed as Forward)

G Kyrie Irving (25), G Iman Shumpert (27), 

G JR Smith (32), G Kay Felder (22),  _________________

F Lebron James (33),  _______________

F Kevin Love (29), F Derrick Williams (26)

C Tristan Thompson (26), C Walter Tavares (25), C ________________

(with James listed as Guard which is where he plays half the time...) 

G Kyrie Irving (25), G Iman Shumpert (27)

G Lebron James (33),  G JR Smith (32), G Kay Felder (22)

F  _______________,  F ________________, 

F Kevin Love (29), F Derrick Williams (26)

C Tristan Thompson (26), C Walter Tavares (25), C _________________-

• As a neutral observer I think somebody in the east should be trading for Boogie and I don't see anybody in the NBA better equipped to handle that dude than LeBron. Cousins would be vastly more relevant if n the east and is one of very few centers that could really punish teams that try to put a wing on him.

• I have been "off line" over a week now since Ive been on vacation... trying to catch up now.

Cav's have signed SG Kyle Korver (36 yrs old), PG Jose Calderon (36 yrs old), F Jeff Green (31 yrs old). AND lets not forget about Richard Jefferson who at a spritely 37 years old has said he is coming back... What is CLE's (Lebron's?) attraction to OLD players who can only fill very limited roles? I just dont get it.  Cavs are set to be the OLDEST team in the league this upcoming season, and I see talk of possibly adding Wade (who will turn 36) and/or Bosch (33).  

i see reports the Cavs have been actively trying to trade Shumpert (27), and the Cavs are supposedly are offering Osman (22) in a package to try and get Carmelo (33). Cavs tried to sign 37 yr old Crawford, but thankfully that fell through. Instead the Cavs are possibilty bringing in F Cedi Osman, from Turkey, who is just 22!!  ALSO Read an interesting article about the Cavs SHOULD trade for Jahlil Okafor... I have to say that I agree this would be a good move for the Cavs. He is extremely young at only 21 right now. If the 76ers are truly looking at trading him the Cavs should be all over that. AND what about a couple of the guys playing for the Cavs in the summer league? TJ Williams? ... Paul, Prather, White, Jones, or Gill?

The way I see it...  The Cavs may very well "build" this roster with all these old players for one more run at the title...   only to lose in the Eastern half of the playoffs and not even make it to Golden State.  Then Lebron will look at the ancient, low talent roster around him and only have himself to blame...  no...  he wont blame himself...   hewill blame the owner, opt out of his contract, and walk...  leaving the Cavs in a terrible position. 

• Even though... i see reports the Cavs are activilely trying to trade Shumpert (27) and supposedly are offering Osman in a package to try and get Carmelo (33).

Cavs are set to be the OLDEST team in the league this upcoming season, and I see talk of possibly adding Wade (who will turn 36) and/or Bosch (33).    

• and lets not forget about Richard Jefferson who at a spritely 37 years old has said he is coming back...

• Read an interesting article about the Cavs SHOULD trade for Jahlil Okafor... I have to say that I agree this would be a good move for the Cavs. He is extremely young at only 21 right now. If the 76ers are truly looking at trading him the Cavs should be all over that.

• what about a couple of the guys playing in the summer league? TJ Williams? ... Paul, Prather, White, Jones, or Gill?

• Kyrie is pissed and asked for a trade... I get it. I do. Both sides. However, the Cavs can NOT trade him. He is one of the top young talents in the league and it would be suicide for the Cavs to trade him. Gilbert needs to help make things right and get everyone back on track....

Hopefully that started today...

Cavs sign Derrick Rose. IF, and I mean IF, Rose can return to the all star level performance of past then this is a GREAT signing.

Kyrie Irving
    Derrick Rose
    Lebron James
    Kevin Love

This group could make some serious noise this year and beyond. Remember Irving is 25, Rose 28, Love is 28, and Lebron is 32/33.

• since this side of the forum is dead I dont mind posting to myself I guess...

Lets add in the few changes already made, and now with Kyrie out lets see what the team looks like...
    - and Im going to go ahead and put Wade in here... all signs are there anyways.

PG IsaiahThomas (29), Derrick Rose (29), Kay Felder (22), Deron Williams (33), Jose Calderon (36)
    SG Dwayne Wade (36), JR Smith (32), Iman Shumpert (27), Kyle Korver (36), Dahntay Jones (37),
    SF Lebron James (33), Jae Crowder (27), Cedi Osman (22), Jeff Green (31), Richard Jefferson (37),
    PF Kevin Love (29), Derrick Williams (26), Ante Zezic (21), Channing Frye (34)
    C Tristan Thompson (26), Walter Tavares (25),

Kick the old guys off the roster and it doesnt look too bad I guess....

(ages are for this coming season)

This post was edited by DropkickPride 2 years ago

• Dahntay Jones, Deron Williams , and Richard Jefferson need to be released. I am guessing James Jones is officially retired. He would be a good assistant coach.
    There is depth at the guard and wing positions. I could see them trying to move one of the guys at those positions. The key is to play the best players. If there are some names on the floor that I don't know this season, but they are Ballers, then I am happy.

• NEOFunk said... (original post)

Dahntay Jones, Deron Williams , and Richard Jefferson need to be released. I am guessing James Jones is officially retired. He would be a good assistant coach.

There is depth at the guard and wing positions. I could see them trying to move one of the guys at those positions. The key is to play the best players. If there are some names on the floor that I don't know this season, but they are Ballers, then I am happy.

You realize James Jones has been working in the Suns Front Office since the beginning of July.

• ohiosundevils said... (original post)

You realize James Jones has been working in the Suns Front Office since the beginning of July.

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

• Man this place is a ghost town.
    Too bad
    Watched the game last night.
    Very encouraged.
    Gonna be a hell of a ride

• I'm actually more excited by this season than I was last year. Yes, I know Wade and Rose are old/injury-prone, but I think they can be very effective with their minutes limited. Sure, IT's injury tempers expectations for the first half of the season, but once he's back this will be a fun team to watch.
    For the first time, I feel like the Cavs have a roster that can win games without Lebron, so we won't be effectively forfeiting every time we give him rest. If IT has an advantage over Kyrie, it's that he's shown that he can carry a team when needed.
    Personally, I'm in the camp that says if you can turn the 1st-round pick from the Kyrie trade into Boogie Cousins, you do it, but Boogie is one of my favorite players. I totally understand the reasons for holding onto the pick though.

• Struggling right now. Injuries, which will be a concern all year with the old guys we have, haven’t helped. Chemistry and changing lineups don’t help either.

Get I Thomas and set second lineup

G Rose
    G Wade
    F
    F
    C
    Will be set

• Go Cavs!!!

• Go Cavs!!!

• Go Cavs!!!

• Go Cavs!!!

• Go Cavs!!!