Chicago Bulls @ Cleveland Cavaliers-10-30-19-GAME THREAD

Chicago Bulls @ Cleveland Cavaliers-10-30-19-GAME THREAD

• Happy Halloween eve. The Bulls make a trip to Cleveland to take on the Cavs. I know it's very early, but the Cavs haven't looked horrible so far. They are hustling and pretty much have been hanging in there. It's going to be interesting to see who they decide to keep and who they decide to move.

• Discussion
  • I don't know how many times i'll say it this year but expect the Cavs to win this game.

• revjj said... (original post) I don't know how many times i'll say it this year but expect the Cavs to win this game.

You were right. I watched the World Series last night and the Cavs game this morning. Awesome win! They hung tough after being behind until halfway through the third quarter and dominated the fourth.

So many things to like. The effort, the emotion, the teamwork. Thompson and Love are leading the way and the young guys are following. Where are the posters who were predicting fewer than 19 wins this year?

The Cavs shot 52.6% from the field and 41.7% on 3's. They dished out 25 assists and crushed the Bulls on the glass 47-32. TT was a stud with 23 points, 10 boards, 5 blocks and great defense. He's serious about getting named to the All-Defensive first team. His offense is on a whole 'nuther level this year.

Love with 17 points, 20 boards, and 6 assists with a team-high +12. What was great to see was the excitement and joy on his face when Porter blocked a shot, grabbed the rebound, and finished with a monster dunk on the other end. You can tell Love enjoys playing on this team.

Speaking of Porter, he had easily his best game yet with a line of 9/4/2 and +7 in 20 minutes. Beilein left him on the floor at crunch time in the 4th quarter when the Cavs were pushing out to a lead and the rookie did not shrink from the moment. He needs work on not letting his man beat him off the dribble, but his quickness and agility is tremendous. He also hit his first NBA three-pointer. He gets to the rim, draws contact, and makes his foul shots. Big upside for this teenager, but he needs to develop a reliable outside shot.

The Bulls only committed 6 turnovers to 17 for the Cavs and normally that adds up to a loss. The Bulls put up 90 shots to only 78 for the Cavs but the Cavs' defense, rebounding, and high shooting percentage carried the day.

Sexton and Clarkson did their jobs on the offensive end. Sexton was in foul trouble most of the way but still put up 18 in 28 minutes, including some spectacular layups in traffic. He's starting to spin his layups off the glass like Kyrie. That dunk over their big man in the final minute brought down the house. He needs to reduce the fouls and turnovers, though.

Cedi had a quiet game but was extremely efficient, hitting 4-of-5 three pointers. Those 12 points were huge. That's all we need out of him.

The Bulls are now 1-4 so they're not a good team and the Cavs were at home. But it was still a great win. This team is going to get better week by week. I'm not sure how Beilein is going to work Henson, Windler, and Zizic into the lineup once they are ready. The starting five is solid and we have a nice bench of Nance, Clarkson, Porter and Delly. It's going to be a very interesting season.

This was a close game all the way and extremely entertaining. I'm sure anybody who was there will be buying tickets again.

• What's super huge so far is that our defense has not been All-Time worst let alone worst in the league. We're 16th in the league right now and leaps and bounds better than last year - already.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) You were right. I watched the World Series last night and the Cavs game this morning. Awesome win! They hung tough after being behind until half...

No one here predicted fewer than 19 wins. A couple of us predicted 19, and that's still a good number. Just remember the first time LBJ left in 2010, the team started 4-3. They ended up with 19 wins. If the defense stays like it's been they may get to 25 or so, but it will take a few more games for me to believe. Hopefully TT continues to shine and it encourages some team that he's their missing piece.

As for court time for Henson, Zizic and Windler, who cares. You have 99.9% of the Henson mentions on this board, in reality he is little more than an expiring contract who can't stay healthy. Zizic has no place in the team's plans, he barely saw the court in meaningful moments last year and they declined to pick up his small 3 million dollar option for next year, meaning he's gone. Windler looked totally lost on D in preseason, he won't get much of a look this year anyways.

• The reason I mention Henson is because Beilein said the team needs him "very badly".

"Henson’s very different from the other bigs. When we watched him playing in pickup, he changes a lot of things for us. We need that very badly."

In 8 minutes in the win over Indiana he had 3 pts, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. And that was going 1-for-6 from the line.

I haven't found any Beilein quotes on Zizic, and yeah, they declined his option, but the column stated they hope to retain him at a lower salary. He's been hurt so they haven't been able to assess how well he fits in Beilein's offense.

Zizic could come into play if they get offers for Thompson and Henson that they can't refuse. In that case they'd be down to Nance, Love, and Zizic as their only big men, although they would probably get a big man back in one of those deals, like a Marquese Chriss type.

Last year Zizic had the highest defensive rating of any player in the rotation except Delly. He's 22 years old. If the Cavs don't think they can re-sign Thompson and they get a great trade offer, Zizic becomes a rotation player. With the way Thompson is playing I'll be surprised if the Cavs don't end up with a bidding war for his services.

Beilein is a big Windler fan. Here's what he said yesterday:

"It’s going to be a good day when he gets back in there because we really can stretch the floor. He’s a low-maintenance player. He just moves the ball. That will be natural. What you saw the other day (versus Indiana), he will do that all the time. But, boy, does he give guys space.”

And...

"Windler really just feels and sees the game at a pace you don’t see a lot of people do it. He’s got a great pace to his game; he really sees it well. I think he’s gonna have good numbers with us over time in both passing and assists, deflections, steals....I don’t know exactly whether we’re going to play (Windler) at a guard or a forward, but he’s going to be a player."

It doesn't sound like Windler "won't get much of a look this year".

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• The way Beilein is using Kevin and Larry, Tristan is our only healthy center. So we do need Henson, and we do need rim protection in general. Will Tristan ever block 5 shots again?!?!!? ... I also believe there's a lot to be enthused about regarding Windler as he can add some aspects to our offense and maybe even our defense we currently lack.

But hey, we've all got to see what they can do.

• revjj said... (original post) I don't know how many times i'll say it this year but expect the Cavs to win this game.

Nice call. Now, please e-mail me the winning lottery numbers. Seriously though, the Cavs so far, yes, it is very early in the season have looked ready to play every game.

• Beilein has these kids playing good basketball. Like I said earlier I love the ball/player movement.

• Never would have guessed that TT is having a career year...keep it up and stay healthy...you too, Kevin

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Beilein has these kids playing good basketball. Like I said earlier I love the ball/player movement.

It makes me wonder if last year Larry Drew was so mad at the Cavs for originally only wanting to make him an interim Coach, that he sabotaged the Team. He was terrible and didn't seem to care. I was a Larry Drew fan when he was with Milwaukee. But last year he didn't even try and it was obvious.

This post was edited by revjj 2 months ago

• revjj said... (original post) It makes me wonder if last year Larry Drew was so mad at the Cavs for originally only wanting to make him an interim Coach, That he sabotaged the Tea...

Dude was just collecting his paycheck. Ty Lue situation was weirder. Beilein was supposedly a dream candidate for this FO, so hopefully they'll be reluctant to undermine him.