Cleveland Cavaliers @ Boston Celtics-12-9-19-GAME THREAD

Cleveland Cavaliers @ Boston Celtics-12-9-19-GAME THREAD

• Seems like the Cavs are hitting a little rough patch lately.

• Discussion
  • Cavs have lost 12 of 13 while the Celtics are 9-0 at home. It doesn't take a genius to predict the outcome. The only question is whether the Cavs get beat by more or less than 40 points.

After the debacle in Philly they need to come out and play with focus and intensity. They need to be competitive for at least the first half.

The Cavs lost the first game between these teams in Cleveland 119-113 as Gordon Hayward destroyed them with 39 points. Hayward has missed the last 13 games with a hand injury and is questionable. His absence would help a lot, but the Cavs just lost to Philly by 47 with Joel Embiid out, so it probably won't matter. The Celtics still have Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart, and Jaylen Brown, who are all better than anybody the Cavs have.

The Celtics, even without Hayward, are coming off wins over Miami (17-6) and Denver (14-7) by 19 and 13 points. Neither team scored more than 95 points. I doubt the Cavs get 85. The Celtics are playing great basketball, they're at home, and they've had two days off. The Cavs are in a free fall. After they rolled over against Philly they need a solid effort if nothing else.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago

• #BLOW OUT IN BEAN TOWN

• Huge blowout? Yeah, seems likely; but we've seen weirder things than a Cavs team digging themselves a big hole fanning the dysfunction flames - then picking up a surprising win.

• I don't know if the plan was to be this bad. I really can't figure out how this roster is *worse* this year than last, but we are playing like a 12-60 team. I don't live local, so when they were 4-5 I spend $200 on NBA League Pass. So I think I cursed them.

That being said, the Garland-Sexton thing isn't working. I don't think it ever will. That back court simply can't stop anybody over a full game.

• ANGDawg said... (original post) I don't know if the plan was to be this bad. I really can't figure out how this roster is *worse* this year than last, but we are playing ...

Yeah I pointed that out in an earlier post. This off season one of them needs to be moved. They are NOWHERE near the scorers McCollum and Lillard are.....and if you can't stop people you better be able to make them work on defense. Right now......they aren't scaring anybody offense. Which makes the "Smurf Back Court" a huge liability.

• ANGDawg said... (original post) I don't know if the plan was to be this bad. I really can't figure out how this roster is *worse* this year than last, but we are playing ...

You don't win in this league giving multiple kids major minutes. Early in the year people were mocking my 19 win projection for this team as way low, now it looks generous. Half the minutes played are by rookies and second year players, add in an aging Kevin Love and a rookie NBA coach and you have a recipe for disaster. The good news is it looks like we will be keeping our top ten protected draft pick, even when others start deliberately tanking I think our lack of talent saves the day.

This post was edited by dms1964 1 month ago

• The Cavs came out flat after intermission and the 13-point halftime deficet quickly ballooned to 29. But give them credit, Beilein found a unit that clawed back to 12 points down before Stevens put in Walker, Tatum and Brown to slam the door.

The big difference was three-point shooting. The Celtics were 15-for-27; the Cavs 7-for-31. So the Cavs took four more attempts but made 8 less for a difference of 24 points from downtown. They lost by 22.

Too many times the Cavs let Walker or Tatum or Theis just walk up to the line and shoot uncontested. Those three were 11-for-17 from deep. Meanwhile the Cavs' starters were 3-for-16. You can't win in this league when your starters are under 20% on 3's while the opponents is over 50%.

The Cavs' starters were mauled. Kevin Love was awful again, shooting 3-for-12 and finishing with 7 points. The Cavs were outscored by 29 points in his 27 minutes of action. The Celtics were just slapping the ball out of his hands like he was a child.

TT worked his butt off even when the Cavs were down by 29 points. He finished with 8 offensive boards and second chance points kept the Cavs in the game for a while.

However, he and the other Cavs starters were destroyed by the Celtics starters. TT, Love, Sexton and Garland were all between -22 and -31 while the Celtics starters were between +24 and +32 for the most part. Kemba Walker was +32 in 29 minutes. The difference in starting units was striking.

However, the Cavs' bench played well. Delly was a +12, meaning the Cavs were outscored by 34 when he was on the bench. Best I've seen him play this year, I think. If only he could still make a wide open three. JC was +5, Nance +9, Henson +2, and Porter -9, although I thought Porter was very impressive, especially on defense and those explosive dunks in traffic. He has a chance to be great, but he needs to improve his outside shot. I think he could be a point guard with his ability to get to the rim and either pass off or finish.

I don't know if anyone will take Love's salary off our hands if he continues to play like this. He looks slow and stiff. I think his back is still affecting his play.

Garland needs to spend six months in the weight room. Opponents with the ball just shoulder him aside like a little kid and go in for the layup. It's almost like he's not there. He also needs to study film of Kemba Walker and practice by himself for several hundred hours until his footwork and other actions are exactly the same. He needs to perfect Walker's step-back 3-pointer and his ability to hit the brakes on knock down a 3 in transition. He also needs to develop an effective floater like Delly although that is coming along.

I can't see Sexton and Garland together long term. The Cavs need a big guard with skills like Gordon Hayward, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Clay Thompson, or somebody like that.

• Out of all of our young players I truly believe Porter has the MOST potential......Love, TT and Clarkson will be gone by the Feb deadline. Trust me we will find takers for them. During the off season we MUST move either Sexton or Garland.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I can't see Sexton and Garland together long term. The Cavs need a big guard with skills like Gordon Hayward, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Cl...

I posted last season that I wished the Cavs would explore a trade to land Hayward when there were reports that the C's were desperate to dump his contract. When he's healthy he solves a lot of issues on this team. It's the kind of risk we will have to take, no valued free agent will come here given the current situation.

There were reports out today that Love wants out, but his play makes that tough. If I'm Portland why do I want Love at 100 million when I have Carmelo at 2 million?? Toronto could use him but they want to keep their payroll open for Giannis next summer. Love was a defensive liability a couple years ago in the playoffs, now he's moved from a liability to a statue.

One trade that maybe possible that goes with my longshot gambles I think this team needs to consider is Love for John Wall. The Cavs probably would pass since Wall is owed 40 million more than Love, but I'd say at least Wall may approach his past play when healthy and fills multiple needs on the team. The Wiz don't play any defense anyways so Love won't hurt there, and they need his rebounding. They could be conned into thinking that Love gets them a shot at an 8th seed plus they are saving 10 million a year. It's not a deal I'd cheer for, but I see no hope for Love in another year or 2.

• Beilein said Love is healthy. So maybe the problem is too much wear and tear over the last 11 years. He never was that athletic but he doesn't look like the same player. The last two games he started out 1-for-6 from the field and put the Cavs behind early.

They should just run their normal offense to start the game instead of trying to force it through Love in the low post where he's becoming a turnover machine.

• I can't believe he's healthy right now. In the beginning of the year he was playing well, I remember you saying you thought he could keep posting a 16/16 stat line all year. I knew that was ridiculous and I've been begging to move him before it was too late, but if he's healthy right now it is too late. He's posted single digit points in 5 of the last 6, single digit boards in 5 of those 6 and has had one free throw (a tech) over the last 4. This is a guy who early this year was getting 8-9 free throws game. I knew Love was on the downside of his career, but this year has not been a downside, it's been a cliff on Mt Everest.

• dms1964 said... (original post) I can't believe he's healthy right now. In the beginning of the year he was playing well, I remember you saying you thought he could keep ...

Yeah, I don't know how much his back (or anything else is bother him) but Kevin seems to be of the opinion it's just the offensive execution is a wreck. Whenever any of our players are in the paint, they seem to be going up against a small horde of defenders - and while we do generate some outside looks - they are all seem to occur from random actions so there's little consistency/rhtyhm to the shots.

I mean, if we can generate an open look from 3pt from the same area, for many of our players - they're going to lock in after the first attempt.

The trick is you have to know how to systematically compromise the defense ... and that's hard to do when the defense is way ahead of your offense in knowing what to do/what to expect.

• Honestly Love and Clarkson are the only players on this team I want to see shooting 3s! They were saying on NBA TV that the Cavs are in the top five in three attempts! THAT IS RIDICULOUS

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Honestly Love and Clarkson are the only players on this team I want to see shooting 3s! They were saying on NBA TV that the Cavs are in the top ...

Not sure what stat they were trying to convey, but the Cavs are currently 18th in the league in 3pters attempted and our 3pt% is 27th.

Nance, Osman, Garland, and Clarkson are all above the team average.

Knight, McKinnie, Sexton, Porter Jr, and Delly are all below.

• Yeah I don’t know but that’s what they were saying.....I was shocked when they said it!

• JonFromVA said... (original post) Not sure what stat they were trying to convey, but the Cavs are currently 18th in the league in 3pters attempted and our 3pt% is 27th.Nance, Osma...

The Cavs are 19th in 3-point rate at 36.5%. They're 27th in 3-point percentage, so they either should not be shooting so many or different guys should be shooting them.