Cleveland Cavaliers @ NY Knicks-11-18-19-Game Thread

Cleveland Cavaliers @ NY Knicks-11-18-19-Game Thread

• The Knicks have problems of their own.

• Discussion
  • It sounds silly calling any game a must win for what is most likely a lottery team, but this seems like a must win. The next couple will be very difficult so if they don't win this they will be looking at a long losing streak. The Knicks maybe out for blood after how the national and their local media blasted them after our last game, but this seems like one of the few teams we can match up with or have an advantage on on the court.

This post was edited by dms1964 2 months ago

• The Knicks are 3-10 and lost to the Cavs by 21 at home. Sexton had 31 points and four of the Cavs five starters were between +25 and +33.

The Knicks shot only 31% from the field and scored 87 points in the first meeting. They had a day off while the Cavs are playing their first back-to-back. I expect the Knicks to play much better tonight.

• This has now been 3 straight games they've been run off the court by half time. The knicks took a 25 point lead in the 2nd, a Cavs rally cut it a bit by the half but that was all the Cavs had in them. The bench held their own but the starters got manhandled. Love sat out with a sore back, though I'm not sure it would have made a great deal of difference. The Cavs shot close to 50% on 3s, but the Knicks D abused them every time they went inside. NY ended up with 8 steals and 10 blocks while the Cavs had just 2 and 1, which was pretty much why this game was a wipeout. The free throw shooting, which has been stellar all year mainly because of Love, was pathetic, missing 14 of 30. Porter, who had been 14-14 at the line this year, went 3-8. The next couple figure to be even worse, it will be interesting to see if they can hold it together.

This post was edited by dms1964 2 months ago

• Back to back without Kevin or Larry? This is just a bad stretch ... but good for the lottery balls!

• A 39-point swing between the two games with the difference being that Love and Nance were out. With Henson also out we had NO power forwards and predictably, Morris and Randle feasted. When your starting forwards are Cedi and Porter you're probably not going to beat anybody. They should have been playing the 2 and 3 but instead they had to play the 3 and 4.

The Cavs were outscored by 28 points in the category of points off turnovers and they lost by 23. When it rains it pours. Even the foul shooting was atrocious. Nothing to do but forget it and move on.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) A 39-point swing between the two games with the difference being that Love and Nance were out. With Henson also out we had NO power forwards and ...

This is why i went with the 19 wins. This team has no margin for error, take Love out of the lineup and they get swamped by the worst team in the league. Love and/or TT will be dealt for more picks, and when that happens we will see more results like this one.

• dms1964 said... (original post) This is why i went with the 19 wins. This team has no margin for error, take Love out of the lineup and they get swamped by the worst team in the l...

No margin for error is correct.

According to the game column Cavs executives laugh at the idea of trading Love, and a game like this is why they reportedly won't consider it.

• Love is 31 and has already begun his decline, he is a shell of the player he was early in his career. The last 3 years he has missed 22, 23 and 60 games, do you expect his health to miraculously improve as he ages?? By the time this team is ready to compete again Love will be either be a role player or more likely retired, isn't it better to move on ASAP?

• We'll never know what Altman and gang really think because even if they wanted to trade Kevin they have little reason to just give him away, so they don't want to act desperate to make a deal.

Anyway, our final record won't be determined by our losses but what we learn from them and how we bounce back from them and there's still a lot to play out there.

Losing to the Knicks on the second night of a back to back with two PFs out and after having embarrassed them the week before is not a surprising outcome. Neither is losing to Miami or Philly.

Kevin has back problems and that's never good, but it's nothing new. He's been managing it for years. 60+ games is a possibility for him - if we're not tanking.

This post was edited by JonFromVA 2 months ago

• dms1964 said... (original post) Love is 31 and has already begun his decline, he is a shell of the player he was early in his career. The last 3 years he has missed 22, 23 and 60 ...

I wouldn't say he's a "shell" of the player he was. He's averaging 18.2 points against a career average of 18.3. His rebounds, steals, assists, and free throw percentage are higher than his career averages. His field goal percentage is slightly higher. He's pretty much the same player he's always been. The only thing that's dropped off substantially is his offensive rebounding.

Whether he'll be able to play 65-70 games this year is the big question. The fact that he only played in 12 games last year when he normally plays about 85, including the playoffs, may have given him a chance to heal up.

Reportedly management thinks keeping him is worth the money because of his positive impact on the younger players and his ability to turn losses into wins and keep the franchise from becoming a total joke.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I wouldn't say he's a "shell" of the player he was. He's averaging 18.2 points against a career average of 18.3. His re...

He's a shell of what he once was. His last 2 full seasons in Minnesota he averaged 26 a game, even in this era of higher scoring Love will never sniff that average again. I believe it was you who posted he doesn't go inside anymore, which is very true as he only averages 6 two point attempts a game. He makes his living on 3 pointers and at the line, and he's just not that effective on 3's anymore. His main value is on the defensive boards, and that's just not worth 30 million. They have to move him while he's healthy, because you just can't expect that to last.

• They are who we thought they were.

I switched when Cedi tried to dribble the ball between his legs with no pressure and failed miserably causing an over and back.

You can’t have a journeyman starting at the 3.

This team hasn’t been right since Love missed the game winner in Philly.

• dms1964 said... (original post) He's a shell of what he once was. His last 2 full seasons in Minnesota he averaged 26 a game, even in this era of higher scoring Love will nev...

The first of those seasons he took 19.3 shots per game; this year he's taking 12.2. His FG% is higher than when he averaged 26.0 points at age 23. And that wasn't exactly a full season - he played in 55 games.

His last season with the T-Wolves he shot 45.7% compared to 45.6% this year. He averaged 26.1 ppg because he took 18.5 shots per game, 50% higher than what he's taking now.

Love is taking 5.9 attempts per game on 2-point shots this year compared to 14.1 per game at age 23. Part of that may be due to the increased emphasis on shooting 3's.

Love's scoring average is down but that's only because he's shooting less, not because he's shooting worse. Also, I don't think Beilein wants him taking 18-19 shots per game like he did in Minny. JB wants to develop the younger guys. I assume the Wolves just gave Love the ball and let him operate. That's not what JB is going for.