Cleveland Cavaliers @ Washington Wizards-11-8-19-GAME THREAD

Cleveland Cavaliers @ Washington Wizards-11-8-19-GAME THREAD

• The Cavs hit the road to take on the Wizards.

• Discussion
  • Boxing in our weight class tonight. First road win would be stellar. Close game with the Bullets struggling against our bigs and their guards getting a couple million uncontesteds.

• They're awful defensively.

It will be interesting to see how Isaiah Thomas plays. He's starting for them at PG, which explains partly why they've allowed 120+ points in four of their five losses.

• The Wizards are 6th in scoring and 6th in 3-point shots attempted per game. They're 22nd in fast break points so they prefer to walk it up and launch from deep.

They're 25th in points allowed per game (118.1). If the Cavs do not let them get comfortable from the 3-point line they have a good shot at a win.

Bradley Beal is averaging 27 ppg and nobody else is over 14, so we know who to focus on defensively. However, they have six guys other than Beal averaging in double figures - all between 11.1 and 13.6 ppg. Very balanced scoring after Beal. They're averaging nearly 26 assists per game so they do a nice job moving the ball and getting 3-point shots. They're taking nearly 37 3's per game and hitting 35.5%.

• Nice win on the road against a bad team. The Cavs rolled to a 67-52 halftime lead and pushed it to 21 points before collapsing in the last half of the 3rd quarter as the Wizards pulled to within one point. It looked like a choke job but they turned it around and won by 13.

Hard to believe the Cavs scored 67 in the first half without a single basket by Kevin Love. Everybody was contributing and they ended up with seven players in double figures. Garland contributed 15 points after being shut out the previous game. Great to see him bounce back. He also had two rebounds, two steals, and six assists.

The defense stepped up and held the Wizards to 16 points in the 4th quarter after allowing 32 in the third, most on uncontested dunks, layups, and 3-pointers. Hachemura and Bryant, ages 21 and 22, combined to go 21-for-29 from the field for 44 points as the Cavs had no answer for the young bigs. The Cavs managed to contain Bradley Beal, however, as he was only 8-for-21 and seven points under his average.

The game was won at the free throw line where the Cavs went 25-for-29 while the Wizards were 3-for-6. No wonder Scott Brooks got a T. Still, the Cavs did a great job of powering it to the rim and drawing fouls while not fouling the Wizards. You don't see a 22-point difference in made free throws very often.

Thompson with another great performance with a line of 21/12/3 with 3 steals and 3 blocks, including NINE offensive boards which created a lot of second chance points. Clarkson had an off night going 4-for-14 including 1-for-7 on 3's. The Cavs as a team only shot 22.2% from long range, which happens on the road. I'm convinced traveling takes something out of your legs and when that happens it affects the 3-pointer more than anything. Fortunately, Kevin Porter Jr stepped up and chipped in 13 points off the bench, so Clarkson's bad offensive game didn't sink the ship.

It was great to see them score 113 on a night when they hit only six 3-pointers. With the 3's not falling they took it to the hole and drew a lot of fouls which was the difference.

Both rookies played very well and we needed them tonight.

Nice win but now it's on to Philly as we take on one of the top three teams in the East on their court.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 2 months ago

• Thanks for these, Prosecutor. I know this board isn't crazy busy, but I truly look forward to your posts. I was at the game tonight. These two teams mirror each other in a lot of ways. I didn't feel bad about Thomas Bryant looking so strong in the post, as I think he is a true young talent.

Lots of praise in a win, but I watched Kevin Porter get owned quite a bit on the defensive side. The Wizards went after him hard, and he wasn't ready for the switch ups they were throwing at him. But damn, he has a big body.

I think that we won tonight because we have a coach who isn't trying to tank. He truly wants to win games. Amazing what coaching at 66 will do for your attitude.

• Cavs play the Knicks Sunday. Philly Tuesday

This post was edited by buckoff10 2 months ago

• Mike Longabardi helped us out with his defensive coaching for a change.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) Mike Longabardi helped us out with his defensive coaching for a change.

Yeah, as the Cavs were putting 67 points on the board in the first half I couldn't help but notice Longabardi on the Wizards bench. I was wondering if the Cavs were that good or if it was Longabardi's defense. I figured it was mostly Mike.

Actually, Love was held to four free throws in the first half so maybe the plan was to concentrate on stopping him. It worked, but created scoring opportunities for the rest of the team and they were able to take advantage. Hopefully this was a breakout game for Garland. Beilein had a film session with him before the game and showed footage of some of the top point guards. Garland responded with 15 and 6, which we needed to get the W.

They held the Cavs to 46 in the second so maybe Longo made some good halftime adjustments.

The Cavs played great defense, holding the Wizards to 100 points. Their scoring average coming in was 115. The Cavs defense had some problems in the third quarter but otherwise was very good.

• buckoff10 said... (original post) Cavs play the Knicks Sunday. Philly Tuesday

Yes, thanks, I forgot the Knicks game. We have a chance to have our first winning streak of the season.

• ANGDawg said... (original post) Thanks for these, Prosecutor. I know this board isn't crazy busy, but I truly look forward to your posts. I was at the game tonight. These two ...

You're welcome. I'm hoping more Cavs fans from the old 247 board will find this one.

The Wizards could be very good next year if Wall comes back to team with Beal. They'll have Bryant and Hachimura in the front court. That's a great foursome and they'll get a top 10 pick this year. With Isaiah Thomas starting they're in trouble. C.J. Miles, at age 32, looks like he's running on fumes. He was 0-for-7 last night and his calling card is his offense. They need a better bench; they were outscored 34-22 by our bench last night.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Yeah, as the Cavs were putting 67 points on the board in the first half I couldn't help but notice Longabardi on the Wizards bench. I was wonder...

A good game vs a bad team and someone Darius towers over is still a legit step for a rook. He did pickup the pace somewhat.
  • PROSECUTOR said... (original post) You're welcome. I'm hoping more Cavs fans from the old 247 board will find this one. The Wizards could be very good next year if Wall ...

This team is growing together quicker than I thought! I think Darius and Porter are two huge building blocks for the future.

I was thinking the same thing about Miles.....he looked like he was on life support last night.