Dallas Mavericks @ Cleveland Cavaliers-11-3-19-GAME THREAD

Dallas Mavericks @ Cleveland Cavaliers-11-3-19-GAME THREAD

• Let's see how our guards do against Luka Doncic. If you haven't seen this guy play, this is a good game to check him out. The dude is tough

• Discussion
  • Dallas is 3-2 with a 2-point loss to Portland and an overtime loss to the Lakers Friday. They beat Denver on the road, and Denver is one of the favorites to win the West.

In the OT loss to the Lakers it was LeBron and AD combining for 70 points, 20 rebounds, 18 assiss, and six steals. We don't have anybody like those guys.

Doncic had 31 points, 15 assists, and 13 rebounds. This guy is another Larry Bird. It's early but they look like a very good team, especially now that they have Porzingis. But the Cavs are 2-0 at home and they played competitively into the 4th quarter against the Bucks, so let's see if they can give the Mavs all they can handle tonight.

According to the NBA.com offensive and defensive ratings, the Mavs rank 7th and 20th, respectively with a differential ranking of 13th. In terms of player impact estimate (PIE), the Mavericks are also 13th. So it seems pretty clear that they are a slightly above average team.

The Cavs rank 20th and 22nd in net rating and PIE, which is much better than any of us expected going into this season. After five games the Cavs have the 21st best team, give or take a spot or two. You could argue that the Cavs should improve more than any team given the number of minutes their two rookies are playing plus the eventual addition of Windler and Henson, who has only played eight minutes so far. Could they progress enough to be an average team by the halfway point?

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 9 months ago

• Can JB coach football?

Toe to toe @ 7 mins left in 2nd. Great game.

• Garland is way out of shape. Not nearly the player I thought he’d be...yet. He’s flabby, slow and too out of breath to make a shot.

He was hurt...I get it but he has a lot of work to do.

• Cavs down 4 at the end of three quarters and I was all set for a great fourth quarter but the Mavs pushed the lead out to 15 points in the first three minutes and that was the game. They scored 41 points in the 4th quarter as the Cavs collapsed, much like they did against the Bucks when they trailed by five points three minutes into the 4th quarter.

I think these teams don't expect much resistence and when the Cavs are still in the game at the start of the fourth quarter they wake up and snuff the Cavs out.

It was too much Luka Doncic, aka Larry Bird, who went off for 29/15/14. Throw in two guys who are 7'3" and 7'4" who took away anything the Cavs wanted to do in the paint and that was the ballgame. The Cavs, with nobody over 6'9", had huge problems dealing with Porzingis and Marjanovic. Porzingis had 18 points, 9 boards, and blocked six shots. Marjanovic was an amazing +25 in 15 minutes, scoring 12 points and getting 8 rebounds. He destroyed Larry Nance Jr who was an equally amazing -33 in 27 minutes. Kevin Porter Jr had a nice 3-point play at the end of the third quarter but was a -19 in 20 minutes. Collin Sexton struggled to score on the very tall Maverick lineup, going 4-for-14.

The Mavericks shot an amazing 20-for-41 on 3's as the Cavs gave them open, uncontested looks time after time. It was too much rim protection, too much 3-point shooting, and too much Doncic, their 6'7", 20-year-old point guard. He actually reminds me more of Magic Johnson - a big point guard capable of getting 14 rebounds while dishing out 15 assists and scoring 29 points.

Love and Cedi played well, Thompson struggled against all that height and was not as big a factor as he was in previous games, and we had a Brandon Knight sighting. Is Delly hurt or did he just get replaced? Clarkson had 17 off the bench in 22 minutes. The Cavs were 18-for-48 in 3-pointers; not bad at 37.5%, but nothing like the 48.8% the Mavs shot from downtown. The Cavs really need to improve their perimeter defense. In today's NBA even guys 7'3" can knock them down.

The Western Conference is still better than the East. I'm not expecting a lot of wins against the West this season.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 9 months ago

• Delly has been benched.

I like the Mavs to win it all because they have everything. That’s a very good team with a proven coach.

Twin towers and they are called a 3 point shooting team. Jeesh. That’s my pick.

• buckoff10 said... (original post) Delly has been benched. I like the Mavs to win it all because they have everything. That’s a very good team with a proven coach. Twin towers and ...

Delly has been ruled out of the last 2 games because of an undisclosed personal matter

The Mavs are a solid team but they are not winning anything this year. Doncic will have to beat on the playoff doors a few times before he beats them in. I will say their game Friday night against the Lakers was one of the best NBA games I've seen in a long time.

One of the LA teams will win it. The Lakers if they can add a 3rd option or if Kouzma becomes one, or the Clips if they don't.

• Thanks....did not hear that. He should be benched IMO so I probably just assumed. I don’t see any value in him getting PT at this point.

I’m sticking with the Mavs. I watched that Laker game too and the Mavs only flaw this early is poor D. Carlisle will get that cleaned up by next spring. They’ll score with anybody and they’ll own the paint. Lots of room to grow whereas the Lakers won’t be much more than they are today.

Injuries...trades and the such happen of course.

Portland, Houston will be tough outs also.

• Yeah, Delly is one of Beilein's safety blankets at this point. Knight looks to be getting his shooting touch back also dished out 6 assists under 20 min. Garland's shooting slump continues (probably has to get the spring back in his legs) but he did dish out 5 assists with just 2 turns. He also hasn't committed a foul the past two games, but that's not enough to keep him on the floor. Beilein has pulled his young guards when he sees the offense stagnating and/or defense sucking.

This post was edited by JonFromVA 9 months ago

• "The length is just incredible, so it’s really tough to test them in the paint,” Love said. “They shut it down in there. They converged down there. We need to be able to spray out and hit some hockey assists and swing-swing passes. We just didn’t do that tonight."

The undersized Cavs put up a good fight through three quarters but then the Mavs went on a 14-2 run with Doncic on the bench to start the fourth and that was it. The Cavaliers needed to outscore the Mavs when Doncic was down to have any chance, but with Sexton and Garland on the floor together they got their doors blown off. When they were on the floor together the Cavs had a net rating of -29.4. The lack of size, experience, and Garland not being able to hit his shots is killing the team right now. But they just have to go through it to emerge on the other side. There are no short cuts in the NBA.

After six games Garland is shooting 31% from the field and 29.2% on 3's, barely higher than Nance at 28.6%. Obviously he's a much better shooter than that but he has to get used to the speed of the game and the length and quickness of the defenders. Gotta remember that 12 games ago he was playing in high school.

I don't know how to defend a 7'3" guy shooting 3's other than to make him hurry his shot. However, the problem last night was defense as the Cavs gave up 131, including 41 in the fourth quarter. It looked like the Mavs got tired of the Cavs hanging around and put the hammer down just like the Bucks did last week.

Henson may have been able to help last night with his defense against the bigs.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) "The length is just incredible, so it’s really tough to test them in the paint,” Love said. “They shut it down in there. They converged dow...

We're not exploiting bigs who stay back on the P&R (while we get destroyed). I mean, driving in to the lane for a floater or pull up J is offense is taking advantage of the slack in the defense, but we should have our guards either pulling up for a 3pter or passing out to a big (aka Kevin) to shoot a 3pter. If we did that effectively enough, we could force their size off the floor.

But anybody shooting a 3pter can be defended no matter their length if you can be bothered to guard them close enough to get a hand up in their face. Darius Garland for instance has a 8'1" standing reach and a player like Porzingis barely jumps on his 3's. Gotta be super quick on the rotations and close outs and a whole lot better defending the P&R, and that's not us.

And still, we're just talking being somewhat better.

Kevin Love is a lot shorter than Porzingis and he can create space any number of ways to get his shot off.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) We're not exploiting bigs who stay back on the P&R (while we get destroyed). I mean, driving in to the lane for a floater or pull up J i...

I agree. One thing that frustrated me was when the Mavs set a screen at the 3-point line for Doncic, who would take one dribble around the screen and be wide open for an uncontested three which he would easily knock down. The Cavalier guarding the screen setter wouldn't step up and challenge the shot but would slough off to defend the roll. The Mavericks exploited that again and again with various personnel.

They should step up and stop the wide open 3-pointer. Make the shooter dump it off to a big rolling to the hoop and try to make him turn it over off the dribble or draw a charge. Worst case is you give up 2 points instead of 3.

Cedi Osman is hitting nearly 49% of his 3's. He can't keep this up, right? But he's shooting with rhythm and confidence and seems to be playing better defense. He also had a nice floater in the lane last night. If he can add that shot to his repertoire along with a more consistent 3-ball he'll be much better on both sides of the ball. I'm very encouraged by what I've seen from Cedi.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I agree. One thing that frustrated me was when the Mavs set a screen at the 3-point line for Doncic, who would take one dribble around the scree...

We also suck at packing the paint. Sometimes we have 2 or 3 players in the paint as an opponent drives, and they all seem to be thinking they don't want to get called for a foul or dunked on, so they all get out of the way ... when if they acted in concert they'd set a picket fence above the semi circle like every other team does to us - and we'll either draw a foul or they'll have to shoot a pull up or floater.

Beilein just has a ton of fundamental work to do. Like that fast break with Sexton last night where Collin and another Cav had a 2v1 at the paint but they didn't spread out enough, Collin made a clumsy pass in tight space that might had been broken up, but fortunately we got a whistle. It's really kind of gross, but if they're dedicated to improvement ... it should be something to see once everyone is on the same page.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) We also suck at packing the paint. Sometimes we have 2 or 3 players in the paint as an opponent drives, and they all seem to be thinking they don...

if they're dedicated to improvement ... it should be something to see once everyone is on the same page.

I was thinking the same thing on that 2-on-1 break. Yeah, a lot of improvement is needed and like I said earlier, the schedule format that minimizes back-to-backs should really help since the Cavs will have an off-day after almost every game to practice and fix issues that cropped up the night before.