Detroit Pistons @ Cleveland Cavaliers-12-3-19-GAME THREAD

Detroit Pistons @ Cleveland Cavaliers-12-3-19-GAME THREAD

• The Cavs remain a home to take on the Pistons. Drummond will be a tough cover. The dude is a beast inside.

• Discussion
  • Kerrfor3 said... (original post) The Cavs remain a home to take on the Pistons. Drummond will be a tough cover. The dude is a beast inside.

He's averaging more rebounds per game than any player in 25 years. It's a shame the Cavs passed on him.

The Pistons won their first game of the season on the road against Indy. Since then they're 0-9 in road games. They're 7-13 overall, which makes them 6-4 at home. They're coming off a 132-98 thumping of a 7-14 San Antonio team at home on Sunday.

The Pistons are 13th in offensive efficiency and, despite having Drummond's rim protection, are 20th in defensive efficiency. They don't shoot a lot of 3's, ranking 20th in attempts per game, but they're 2nd in 3-point percentage at 39.3%. When they shoot 'em they make 'em. Overall they rank 3rd in effective FG percentage.

They're above average in both offensive and defensive rebounding but not among the top 8 in either category. They're above average in blocks, but nothing special. They only rank 26th in steal percentage, so the Cavs should not have a ton of turnovers.

One problem for the Pistons is they turn the ball over a lot, ranking 28th of 30 in that category. Maybe the Cavs can get some steals and transition buckets.

Detroit ranks 7th in assists per possession to they like to move the ball around. The Cavs are 27th and this is something Beilein is trying to improve. However, in the last three games the assist rate has been up about 25% so we'll see if they can keep it going. In fact, if their assist rate over the last three games was their rate for the season they would be tied for 6th so we're seeing a big uptick here, although in a small sample.

On defense the Pistons rank 23rd in opponent 3-point percentage so they're a good team to shoot 3's against. For some reason teams haven't been doing that as the Pistons have defended the second fewest 3-point shots.

The Cavs are second to worst in getting shots blocked so they need to be aware of Drummond in the lane.

I'm counting on three days of rest and practice to put the Cavs on top of their game against a team that has lost nine straight on the road.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I'm counting on three days of rest and practice to put the Cavs on top of their game against a team that has lost nine straight on the road...

Unless Beilein ran them ragged in those practices. lol

• John Henson is expected to play tonight. Hopefully he makes it through the game in one piece...

• JonFromVA said... (original post) John Henson is expected to play tonight. Hopefully he makes it through the game in one piece...

Maybe they shouldn't put him on the floor at the same time as Drummond. Henson will back up TT at center with Love and Nance at the 4. If Love averages about 28 minutes per game with 20 for Nance there's a better chance Love will make it through the season.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I'm counting on three days of rest and practice to put the Cavs on top of their game against a team that has lost nine straight on the road...

I almost wrecked my car this evening hearing one of the Cavs pregame hosts on TAM say something worse than this. He said the Pistons have only won one game on the road this year, so this is a game the Cavs "should win easily". This team shouldn't beat anyone easily. The Pistons were without Blake Griffin the first couple weeks and still have almost an even point differential for the year, while we are at -9 a game. If Griffin stays healthy that squad has a shot at one of the last playoff slots in the East, I doubt anyone sees that in this Cavs squad. Griffin is also a matchup nightmare for us, Love can't handle either him or Drummond.

Right now we are down 16 at the half. The Pistons still stink so I wouldn't be surprised if we came back and made a game of it, but to think this team can count on any games as wins before they are played is silly.

This post was edited by dms1964 8 months ago

• 127-94......build up those lottery balls, boys!!!! The second and third quarters once again killed us. Too many mental lapses on defense......terrible pick and roll defense. Porter continues to look good (12 points, 7 rebs, 1 TO)

• Pathetic. I was thinking with three days to fix problems in practice and get some rest the Cavs would come out fired up and hitting on all cylinders. Instead they came out flat, commiting five turnovers in the first few minutes of the game. To their credit they put together a 15-0 run to take the lead, but that was all she wrote. The Pistons dominated the rest of the way.

It was a case of men playing against boys. Ages of the Pistons rotation players: Bruce Brown 23, Drummond 26, Griffin 30, Rose 31, Snell 28, Wood 24, Galloway 27, Morris 30 and Mykhailiuk 22. They were playing against the Cavs teenagers. The Cavalier with the most years, Kevin Love, was made to look very old and very slow by Blake Griffin, who poured in 19 points in the first half and could have easily matched it in the second if the game was close. He ended up with 24 points in 24 minutes as he destroyed Love (8/4/2 in 22 minutes) and anybody else who tried to guard him.

But that's no excuse for the horrible defense. The entire first quarter was uncontested dunks, layups, and wide open, uncontested 3's. Every Cavs turnover resulted in a fast break and an uncontested dunk. The Cavs had no answer in the half court offense for the Drummond pick-and-roll. The Pistons took advantage of the Cavs' inability to contest the 3-point shot any time but especially in transition to hit 18 of 35 from long range. They also dished out 33 assists.

Clearly this is a mature, veteran team who knows how to play the game and take advantage of their strengths. Drummond had an incredible game on both ends, setting picks to create open shots while blocking and altering shots to create misses while controlling the defensive glass. He ended up with 17 points, 14 boards, 4 assists, 5 steals, and 4 blocks. He simply dominated Thompson or whoever was in front of him, affecting the game at both ends. The inability of Love and TT to even slow down Griffin and Drummond was the key to the game. They did whatever they wanted and made it easy on their teammates.

The Pistons bench was outstanding. Derrick Rose was a +23 in 22 minutes with 12 points and 9 assists. Talk about productive. Langston Galloway was a +27 in 22 minutes and chipped in 14 points. I seriously wonder if the Cavs' five starters would have the lead if they played the Pistons' second five for 12 minutes to start the game.

Austin Carr criticized the Cavs' effort and intensity, saying they needed to be competitive. After being spanked 30-18 in the second quarter and down by 16 at halftime, they came out and got slapped around some more in the 3rd quarter. Unlike the Milwaukee game on Friday when they fought their way back after being down 22, this game they folded meekly.

I saw a couple of bright spots. Thompson brought his hard hat, as usual, and fought for six offensive boards. He couldn't handle Drummond, but it wasn't due to lack of effort and he forced the big man into a couple of turnovers. Sexton had 22/4/3 with two steals - a nice effort. Garland has been working on his floater and we saw it tonight. In the first quarter he had a lane to the rim and went for it only to get his layup blocked. The next three times he pulled up for the floater and made all three, even getting fouled on one of them. That's progress. Now he just needs to learn you can't lob the ball over Drummond unless he standing on the free throw line. He's in the process of learning what passes he can get away with at this level.

Porter makes some amazing plays. If you could just show his five best plays every game you would think he's an All-Star. He had 12 and 7 tonignt in 22 minutes. However, the Cavs were outscored by 24 when he was on the floor. He just needs to gradually increase the number of great plays and decrease the mistakes. He just needs experience to be a great player, IMO.

Garland, OTOH, is pretty small. Anybody can take him off the dribble and just shoulder him out of the way for a layup. Even if he becomes a prolific scorer and assist guy I wonder if he'll ever be just OK defensively.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 8 months ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) The Cavalier with the most years, Kevin Love, was made to look very old and very slow by Blake Griffin, who poured in 19 points in the first hal...

The biggest problem is that the Blake Griffin doing that to him is not the 2012 or 2013 Blake Griffin, this is the version that's lost a few steps themself. These things will be noticed by scouts and I find it hard to believe anyone will give up anything of much value so they can pay Love 100+ million over the next 4 years. He made his living at the line earlier this year, regularly getting 8-10 or even more free throws a game. He's had 2 over the last 3 games along with no offensive boards. I'm sure his back is still bothering him, but at his age and history do we really expect long term improvement??

This post was edited by dms1964 8 months ago

• dms1964 said... (original post) The biggest problem is that the Blake Griffin doing that to him is not the 2012 or 2013 Blake Griffin, this is the version that's lost a few s...

I don't expect any improvement from Love. Maybe his back is still bothering him. He looked stiff, slow, and old last night, and Beilein only played him 22 minutes. But give credit to Griffin, who was deadly on his 3-point shots. Kevin actually forced him to miss a couple of times in the low post but had no answer from outside. What was really discouraging was on Griffin's last 3-pointer he had the ball on the 3-point line. Love backed up, giving him about six feet of space. I was wondering why he would invite Griffin to shoot an uncontested 3 when Blake had been hot all night. Griffin calmly knocked down the shot as Love stood on the free throw line and watched.

I thought the idea was that if a guy is hot from outside you try to drive him off the line, not invite him to keep shooting.

"They kicked our **** tonight,” Kevin Love said following the loss. “Detroit, tip your hat to them. They played inspired basketball. We came out and laid an egg. Really disappointing to feel like you made strides in the right direction and then play like we did tonight. I wish I had an answer for you.”

Well, it's hard to win when you're dominated up front, and the Cavs had no answer for Griffin and Drummond. Love is on the downside of his career and probably not 100% physically. Thompson is a fighter but is undersized for the position he's playing and it shows up more when he goes against a monster like Drummond. The Cavs need a bigger rim defender in the worst way.

I can't believe Detroit got beat twice by Charlotte in the last week. The Hornets are 8-14. They held the Pistons to 101 and 107 points. The Cavs held them to 129. Hey, the Pistons scored 132 on San Antonio their previous game. Maybe something clicked.

I mentioned that the Pistons are second in 3-point percentage, but near the bottom in 3-point shots attempted. I suggested they should shoot more 3's. Well, last night they jacked up 35 of them and made 18. Maybe they're figuring something out.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 8 months ago

• One step forward, two steps back. I'd forgotten about Zizic ... always a mystery why we don't bother to use him when he's apparently healthy and would improve our size up front.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) One step forward, two steps back. I'd forgotten about Zizic ... always a mystery why we don't bother to use him when he's apparent...

Now that Henson is back I don't expect to see Ante much, if at all most games.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Now that Henson is back I don't expect to see Ante much, if at all most games.

Henson is on a minutes restriction, though.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) Henson is on a minutes restriction, though.

Yeah, but Ante is averaging about two minutes a game so I don't think Henson's minutes restriction will be a factor.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Yeah, but Ante is averaging about two minutes a game so I don't think Henson's minutes restriction will be a factor.

Yeah, because for whatever reason they don't seem to trust him on the floor and don't care to invest in him improving. Admittedly sometimes even players deep in the dog house are randomly given a shot.
  • Missed the game....Where was TT at during this debacle?

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Missed the game....Where was TT at during this debacle?

Drummond was too much for him. He blocked of a couple of TT's jump hooks and in general dominated him in the paint. Don't forget TT is an undersized 5.