I really like this coach

I really like this coach

• From Fedor's column on the Cavs' film session on Thursday after the loss to Miami (italics mine):

"Typically, video work lasts anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes. Then there are individual side sessions between players and coaches. But Beilein felt Thursday called for a longer breakdown. No one was spared.

“People needed to hear today about accountability,” he said. “It all came out today. We gave everyone an opportunity to remark on it. We gave expectations for everybody of what their role is on the team and I thought it was very positive. It was very good how they took it. Was tremendous how they were helping each other understand what winning looks like in the NBA.”"

I love this approach. Tough love, tell it like it is, the film doesn't lie, everybody is accountable, no sacred cows. Show them what the Heat is doing, how they're moving the ball and playing unselfishly. At one point their big star Jimmy Butler was 1-for-7 and the Heat was up 27 points, partly because he had a lot of assists.

When players know they will be taken to task in front of their teammates, but in a positive way, I think they'll play harder. A lot of it is just effort.

“There’s been a lot of slippage,” veteran Tristan Thompson admitted. “I think it just comes with effort. Our effort hasn’t been there, whether it’s rest or guys not watching the film or whatever, we have to get back to that. If you just give an effort you can be in a lot of games.”

Kevin Love said before the season that this team will have to battle extremely hard to make up for lack of experience and talent. There can't be any "slippage" in the level of effort or the result will be ugly blowouts. Obviously playing five games in seven days makes it tough to maintain a consistently high level of intensity. But that's what they need to do and Beilein is making sure they know it.

“I think the defense is severely affected by our offense,” Beilein said. “If we miss a shot or don’t get a foul, turn it over, we turn around and do not have the same focus we need to have."

Which results in too many wide open 3-point shots by the opponent after a Cavs' missed shot or turnover when the Cavs don't get enough players back in time to match up with everybody. Kevin Love is often seen shuffling back in a slow jog (just my observation). Once the opponent grabs the rebound every player needs to be sprinting back on D or harassing the guy with the ball to buy time for his teammates to get back. Just eliminating the easy buckets in transition would help a lot. Beilein's right about the Cavs not having "the same focus we need to have" in the critical seconds after the opponent gets a defensive rebound or a turnover.

"We need more out of everybody," Thompson said. "I think it starts with effort and playing hard. Those are two things that should be non-negotiable...Whenever you put a Cavalier jersey on it’s a sense of pride and that’s how I treat it because I’ve been here for nine years now. It’s bigger than just a jersey. It’s culture, the city, people that live here. That’s my mindset when I talk to these kids. It’s, you know, you don’t know how long you are going to be wearing this jersey, but when you wear this jersey we need you to do it our way.”

Wow. I want them to resign this guy if at all possible.

"One common denominator [in the five-game losing streak): Slow starts. That’s what caused Beilein to challenge his players, even chew some out at halftime versus the Heat. It’s what led to him changing his lineup temporarily and having discussions since about making it permanent. Beilein played it coy when asked again if he had made a decision on that front.

“Not yet,” he said."

More from the column, which was outstanding:

"Thursday’s goal was about having all of the guys see the problems and then, as a group, offer up solutions."

So Beilein is letting the players make suggestions, showing respect for their opinions. He said, "What the coaches are seeing, they see it now too.”

"Beilein and his staff pulled together 30 clips that were titled, ‘non-negotiable going forward.’ It was all about effort. Some clips displayed slow closeouts on Miami’s shooters, including Duncan Robinson who set a Heat record for 3-pointers in a half with eight. Other clips were intended to point out when Cavs players were ball watching instead of sprinting back on defense.

Always trying to find little victories, Beilein also pulled around 20 positive clips that reinforced the team’s ability to play the right way at times -- the third quarter Wednesday, when the Cavs began cutting into Miami’s enormous lead."

Beautiful. Here's the wrong way and now here's the right way. See, we can have success when we do it right. I love the approach.

“It’s not like the guys were lazy [Beilein said]. We’re trying to get everyone to realize you all have another gear in you and when you communicate it makes up for anything else. We have very good guys, but they’re quiet. When you are quiet on defense, people tear you apart.

“We have to hold each other accountable. There was a little bit of that without any hating going on. It was, ‘You can do this.’"

And finally,

"So it’s all good. Felt very good after we were done. Don’t know if we will see it (versus Dallas), but we hope so.”

I'll be very interested to see if this looks like a different team the next two nights, especially in terms of communication, effort, getting back on defense instead of ball watching, and closing hard on 3-point shooters.

• Discussion
  • This guy sounds like the BEST coach for a young team with a sprinkling of vets and no “super stars”. I may be wrong but this coach with a LBJ, Irving or JR wouldn’t be as effective. This team seems to be very open to being coached AND being held accountable which is a good sign for the future with these youngsters! No bad habits are being allowed to set in. I want TT back as well IF it’s at a good cap friendly price OR unless we can get a high-mid first round pick for him.

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) This guy sounds like the BEST coach for a young team with a sprinkling of vets and no “super stars”. I may be wrong but this coach with a LBJ, I...

The problem is that any team willing to give up a first round pick for one-half of a season from TT is a team that thinks they can go all the way. Assuming that adding TT while not giving up any current players makes them better, there's no way their pick would be in the middle of the first round. Teams picking there are teams that are 6-8 seeds in the playoffs. I can't see any way we could get anything better than a late first round pick.

I'm thinking it would have to be a deal like when we traded Isaiah Thomas and a late first round pick (who turned out to be Moritz Wagner, who is coming off the Wizards' bench) to the Lakers for Nance and Clarkson. I'd like to get a couple of young players the same caliber as Nance and Clarkson for TT.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) I'm thinking it would have to be a deal like when we traded Isaiah Thomas and a late first round pick (who turned out to be Moritz Wagner, ...

The problem is that trade had nothing to do with the Lakers wanting Thomas, it was a pure salary dump on their part to allow them to sign LBJ that summer. They only wanted Frye and Thomas because they were on expiring deals. That may end up being TT's greatest value in that he's an expiring contract, but that value will be hurt by the very weak 2020 free agent group. Still I have to think that in any TT trade we'll be taking on more longer term dead wood like Knight in order to make the numbers work

I think they'd love to get a mid 1st round pick but would have to look at a late first rounder if they can't do any better. I'd maybe consider taking a flyer on a former high pick blocked somewhere else. I'm not really that interested in more Nance's and Clarkson's, players who had already pretty much established what they were. They are nice complementary pieces and were needed when we were in a title chase but we have little to complement right now. The NBA is a star driven league, and we have no stars. Until we get those difference makers, we will struggle

• dms1964 said... (original post) The problem is that trade had nothing to do with the Lakers wanting Thomas, it was a pure salary dump on their part to allow them to sign LBJ that ...

Maybe take on a bad contract in order to get a future first round pick? Better than nothing.

I think they should make a serious effort to extend Thompson. He's developed an offensive game and he has a tremendous attitude and work ethic.

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Maybe take on a bad contract in order to get a future first round pick? Better than nothing. I think they should make a serious effort to extend ...

The problem is he developed that "tremendous attitude" in a contract year. Last year who knows what his attitude was, he was playing reality TV with the Kardashians. He's missed 40% of the games the last 2 years. To this day you can google bad nba contracts and he pops up. There are better places to blow 100 million.

• dms1964 said... (original post) The problem is he developed that "tremendous attitude" in a contract year. Last year who knows what his attitude was, he was playing real...

Good point. He's playing for his next contract, but there's no question his offensive game has improved and he's playing hard on the defensive end. Whether that night-in and night-out intensity will diminish next year after he signs a long term deal is the question.