Kevin Porter Jr

Kevin Porter Jr

• Is being considered (along with Bol) one of the major steals in this draft. KP went off for 41 points and 10 rebounds in a pro am game the other night.

• Discussion
  • blkmagic00 said... (original post)

Is being considered (along with Bol) one of the major steals in this draft. KP went off for 41 points and 10 rebounds in a pro am game the other night.

SD:

The Cavs accidentally getting good would make more since then anything they've done via plan.

Trading Kry-mee to a division opponent solidified the front office in stone that they are clueless.

>>>>

SoulDawg

• SoulDawg74 said... (original post)

SD:

The Cavs accidentally getting good would make more since then anything they've done via plan.

Trading Kry-mee to a division opponent solidified the front office in stone that they are clueless.

>>>>

SoulDawg

Clueless??? The Cavs got the best offer from the Celtics than they did from any other team. And the fact that Cryie hamstrung them by making public comments that he wouldn't sign long term with anybody makes what we got even better. If you look at the trade now we won it big time.....the Celtics gave a first round pick and players that the Cavs FO turned into Sexton, Nance, Clarkson and Ante (all for basically a one year rental of Cryie).

• But he took them to such new heights during his time there.

• salemdog said... (original post)

But he took them to such new heights during his time there.

LMFAOOOOOOO!!!!
    I can’t wait to see him flame out in Brooklyn

• Sad, the Cavs couldn't get Lebron and Kyrie to run it back one more year. Last year was the perfect spot for us to win another one. Damn.

• GatorNation4Lyfe said... (original post)

Sad, the Cavs couldn't get Lebron and Kyrie to run it back one more year. Last year was the perfect spot for us to win another one. Damn.

And karma is a bitch because neither one of those two even “sniffed” a trip to the Finals

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Is being considered (along with Bol) one of the major steals in this draft. KP went off for 41 points and 10 rebounds in a pro am game the other ...

He could be a major steal. Or not.

"Just a monster talent that we’ve been following pretty closely. I think he needs some structure and needs some mentors. We’re super excited to take on the challenge because of how talented he is. He is a genuine kid and he wants to be great. - GM Koby Altman on Kevin Porter, Jr

I think he’s a wild card. He could be in the G League this year or he could be starting. There’s such a range with him, but he gives us something different. He can go get his own shot. He’s a big two-guard who can play the 3. It’s a little unclear right now. It’s so early. He has so much talent and hopefully we can get the best out of him. But who knows? - anonymous Cavs source on Kevin Porter, Jr

The good thing is he should get a lot of playing time since this will be a development year and we don't want to win too many games or we lose our first round pick. Job One is to lose enough games to have a top 10 pick.

OTOH, I'm sure the Cavs would like to trade Henson, Knight, Delly and maybe TT and Clarkson in mid-season to acquire more assets. Those guys need to play in the first half to showcase their talent for whatever it is.

• If we fall out of the bottom 10 because guys like Porter Jr and Windler are balling, then I feel a lot better about the future of this team, because it means we can identify talent in the draft and develop it without a lottery pick. The picks we used to take Porter and Windler came from very repeatable deals where we took on salary from other teams and/or sent out a useful vet.

• This is going to be an interesting season....I think the young kids will ball but it'll be interesting to see what direction the FO go with TT and Love by the all star break in regards to trades and loading up with pocks and eyeballing another lottery pick to add to this young squad.

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) This is going to be an interesting season....I think the young kids will ball but it'll be interesting to see what direction the FO go with TT a...

The rub is finding a team with a likely lottery pick willing to give it up to add Tristan or Kevin. We can continue to collect late picks from playoff teams, but we can probably do that with lesser players.

So, assuming neither just ask to be traded, it may come down to the right deal coming along with us getting a young player from another team who happens to be injured, or seems redundant, or we're high on, etc; combined with some late picks.

And since a trade like that involves a lot of factors outside our control, it wouldn't surprise me if both players last the season. Again - unless they ask to be moved.

• Cavs found a way to give the game away tonight.

This post was edited by blkmagic00 3 months ago

• blkmagic00 said... (original post) Cavs found a way to give the game away tonight.

Expect to see a lot of that. One of the Celtic beat writers posted a blurb on the Cavs in which he said the team goal should be to get double digit wins. I'm not sure things are that bad, but they are bad. At home tonight the Celtics 2nd and 3rd stringers obliterated a Cavs team playing pretty much their regulars. I think the China situation lowering cap figures next year means we are pretty much stuck with Love unless he comes out of the gate looking like he's 25 again, so I'm pretty sure what we see now will be pretty much what we have. Which will be a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players trying to figure things out.
  • dms1964 said... (original post) Expect to see a lot of that. One of the Celtic beat writers posted a blurb on the Cavs in which he said the team goal should be to get double digit ...

Kevin gave their offense a chance to click last year, and it's the same this year. Without Kevin, they're unable to create shots except for guys who really shouldn't be shooting them. If they don't improve their execution on both ends of the floor, it will be pretty brutal.

We just need to remember the NBA cut down the pre-season to almost nothing, and while the season will be starting soon ... we're a long way from being ready for it.
  • dms1964 said... (original post) Expect to see a lot of that. One of the Celtic beat writers posted a blurb on the Cavs in which he said the team goal should be to get double digit ...

And I don’t have a problem with struggling and “possibly” securing a high ping pong ball if the Cavs commit to developing Garland, Porter, Winding, and Cedi in the process. I truly believe that by the trade deadline both Love and TT will be gone

• Keep an eye on Porter. With a little luck, he could end up being the steal of the draft.

• Yes......I said the same thing on draft day

• Kerrfor3 said... (original post) Keep an eye on Porter. With a little luck, he could end up being the steal of the draft.

But that might not be apparent for a couple of years. He plays with some swagger, though.

• Well, hopefully he gets his first bucket under his belt in game 2. Get over the jitters, and let's see what he can do.