On to Phase II

On to Phase II

• Looks like Henson and Windler might be ready to play as soon as tomorrow. They both participated in a full practice Sunday. It was the first time this season the entire roster was practicing.

"Add those two (Windler and Henson) and all of a sudden the size of our team increases dramatically. Will be tremendous to have those two extra guys out there.

Dylan looked pretty good. He’s going to be rusty for a bit, but he can really pass, he’s strong and he makes the next play over and over again. He’s a talker on the floor. All those things we need." - Beilein

So now we move from Phase I to Phase II. We're about one-quarter of the way through the season, Beilein has had a chance to see these guys against NBA opponents playing for keeps, and now he's getting two guys who he's been drooling over. He's talked more than once about how both of them bring elements that the team needs.

Garland seems to be getting in game shape and finding his confidence. He's made 10 of his last 16 three-pointers. Nance is starting to knock down his 3's as well. In his last six games he's hit 44.4% from downtown. He came one rebound short in the last game of having four straight double-doubles. Add in Sexton, Love, and Thompson along with Henson and Windler and the Cavs should have a competitive team most games.

Friday they pulled within three points of the Bucks in the 4th quarter. The Bucks are 17-3. The day after escaping with a 9-point win against the feisty Cavaliers they beat Charlotte by 41.

So with Garland getting in shape and starting to find his game, Nance improving his outside shot, and getting Henson and Winder, I see this as a shift from Phase I to Phase II. How many phases there will be this season I'm not sure. It will probably depend on trades.

It will be interesting to see how many minutes Windler and Henson get once they are ready for unlimited action. Also, who loses minutes to those two? Kevin Porter, Jr is the obvious choice.

One player I'm looking to see more improvement from is Porter. He had an 18-point explosion against the Knicks on Nov. 18 but since then has scored 31 points in six games and 129 minutes. Against Milwaukee on Friday he was scoreless and committed 2 fouls and 2 turnovers in 13 minutes. He's shooting 48% on 2-point attempts and 21% on 3's. He should be strongly discouraged from shooting any 3's.

Porter looks like a Ron Harper type player to me - a slasher who's great in the open floor and taking it to the rim but who's jumper is suspect and forget about 3's. Harper shot 29% from downtown for his career. His best year with Cleveland he shot 51% overall but only 25% on 3's. He also used his quickness to play some pretty good defense and I'm seeing the same potential in Porter. Harper also had seasons where he averaged 5-6 rebounds per game and that's easily within Porter's reach if he ends up starting.

• Discussion
  • PROSECUTOR said... (original post) One player I'm looking to see more improvement from is Porter. He had an 18-point explosion against the Knicks on Nov. 18 but since then ha...

Expect lots of ups & downs from 19 year olds. Harper entered the league at 23, while Porter Jr shot 41% on his 3's at USC. He's going to need to improve his shot. Maybe if they have plans to re-work it, they'd ask him to stop shooting 3's, but otherwise this isn't a win-now situation and he should go ahead and take open shots.

• If anything, the Cavs have been fun to watch this year. I know they won't win a ton of games, and that is ok, but I do enjoy watching them play. Yeah, they are going to be up and down all year just because they are so young. It looks like Garland is starting to find his shot.

• JonFromVA said... (original post) Expect lots of ups & downs from 19 year olds. Harper entered the league at 23, while Porter Jr shot 41% on his 3's at USC. He's goi...

Good point about the difference in ages. I was just comparing their style of play and strengths and weaknesses. They're both about the same height and body type, both are/were explosive slashers who can get to the rim and finish, and both are/were not reliable outsider shooters unless Porter improves a ton. They both have/had the height and hops to get 5-6 rebounds per game from the 2 and the quickness and athleticism to play good defense and get steals.

Porter is not a Harper clone but I see a lot of similarities. As a 23-year-old rookie with four years of college ball under his belt Harper shot 45.5% from the field, 21.3% on 3's and averaged 22.3 ppg. He also averaged 4.8 rebounds, 4.8 assists, and 2.5 steals. I can see Porter matching those numbers four years from now if he gets 37 minutes a game like Harper did at 23.

By the way, Porter played 464 minutes in his college career. Windler played 3,759 minutes. It will be interesting to see what he can do once he has 10 games or so under his belt.

This post was edited by PROSECUTOR 1 month ago

• PROSECUTOR said... (original post) Good point about the difference in ages. I was just comparing their style of play and strengths and weaknesses. They're both about the same ...

Did you know Windler only shot 23.9% from 3pt as a freshman? Just 66.7% on his freethrows?

These guys can improve. The big question is will they.

But Porter Jr like Garland and Sexton are all used to having the ball in their hands and it's a lot easier to build up a rhthym and find the range on your shot when you get the chance to touch the ball, put up shots in volume, find your spots on the floor, etc. Especially so for players that lack consistent form on their shots.