Five years since the Nasher trade...

Five years since the Nasher trade...

• Its been five years since the monumental trade that changed the entire makeup of our team. Anyone remember...Nash, Steve Delisle and a third rounder for Dubi, Arty, Tim Erixon and a fist round pick (Kerby Rychel).

I am not sure Rangers fans would argue they made out so great on this deal. They got a guy who has for the most part under-performed at big money and probably played his least effective hockey in the playoffs when they could have used him the most. They talked about trying to move him this past off-season but suspect his age/injury issues and big money deal made it difficult.

I suspect most CBJ fans are satisfied with the haul the CBJ have gotten from the swap. Dubi helped completely reverse the losing attitude in the dressing room and has been a very good #2C who does a little bit of everything. Erixon was a bust but Arty yielded us Saad who yielded us Panarin.

So when the dust clears five years later the Rangers have had more on ice success over that time span but they were better situated before the deal so that's no surprise. In then end they have won no more Cups than us, are saddled with an aging vet who struggles with injuries and makes too much money while we have a slightly less aged vet and perhaps one of the best young scoring snipers in the league.

Considering Howson had his back against the wall, he did pretty well.

• Discussion
  • I was hoping Nash would come back. At a MUCH reduced salary at some point to help give our third or fourth line some punch. I liken the trade to the hershel walker trade.....he was our only ammunition so the fact we have dubi still and now panarin is a pretty good deal