Official "watching the standings" thread...

Official "watching the standings" thread...

• The good news is the Caps finally lost a game...the bad news is that it was to the Pens who are chasing us as well.  I guess the Pens beating the Caps was the better outcome...unfortunately it happened in OT.  Caps have gained 7 Pts on us in the standings in the last ten games...gonna be a battle!  Rangers lost last night...they are starting to fade.

Wed Jan 18: one game to watch is Pens at Habs.  Hopefully Habs can win this one at home...would like to put some more space between us and the Pens!

• Discussion
  • http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Its really early but I thought I would bring this site back from the past

• It looks like I'll go back to looking at the division standings, after watching the league standings for so long.

Maybe it's the same thing...

• I thought I'd move this back to the top. Our play has slightly improved lately although so has our competition.

How do you all see the playoffs turning out for specifically us?

• ejester wrote:

How do you all see the playoffs turning out for specifically us?

We get screwed by the incompetent NHL again.  The playoff format is a joke.  Two of the top 3 team in the conference will play each other in the first round!  Absolutely crazy, only in the Betman NHL.  

We will play PIT in the first round and lose (we can not beat them in a 7game series, even with home ice).   Even if we do win round 1, we will more than likely play WAS in round 2.  So that makes the top 3 team in the conference battling it out for who will play a sub-par team in the conference final.  

• It's like the NFL in the 70s. It really undermines the season when the 2nd and 3rd seeds play each other. But it also undermines the playoffs. It gives a huge competitive advantage to teams that simply weren't that good.

It makes no senseand is a huge black eye to modern professional sports. Nobody seeds like that anymore.

• I am not as worked up about the seeding...the three point OT games are what really get my blood boiling. A game is a game is a game...THEY ARE ALL EQUAL!!! Not this two points if a game is settled in regulation and three if its settled in overtime. That's bush league!

Someone on NHL Radio suggested they let the #1 Seed pick their opponent, then #2 Seed pick their opponent, etc on down the line. I really like that idea...that really rewards the higher seeds and makes the regular season thatmuch more intriguing.

• DoggyII wrote:

I am not as worked up about the seeding...the three point OT games are what really get my blood boiling. A game is a game is a game...THEY ARE ALL EQUAL!!! Not this two points if a game is settled in regulation and three if its settled in overtime. That's bush league!

Someone on NHL Radio suggested they let the #1 Seed pick their opponent, then #2 Seed pick their opponent, etc on down the line. I really like that idea...that really rewards the higher seeds and makes the regular season that much more intriguing.

Imagine how much fun that would be? They could televise the drawings, and then get feedback on why they picked that team as their opponent. Then, you get reaction from the other team and now you have some potential "bulletin board" talk going into the first round match ups. 

I'm all for 1 vs 8, 2, vs 7, etc. and then re-seeding after each round in the case of upsets. The ONLY exception is I would reward the division winners with home ice regardless of opponent, but if it is division champ vs division champ then go to overall points then head to head to determine home ice.

• That would be awesome.

• 2 vs 3 is just whacked.

The potential gate money alone is significant.

• Pens lose, CBJ win. 1 point back of the Caps with 14 to play. (edit: Pens now tied with Caps as they got 1 with the tie in regulation)

CBJ have the Caps twice, Pens once down the stretch. Caps have the Wild twice and the streaking Flames, thenend with the Rangers. The Pens probably have the easier schedule of the 3, with games against the Devils twice, Flyers twice, Canes, Sabres and Panthers.

• According to NHL.com, Caps and Pens are tied and we are one point back. All have played the same number of games.

Four losses in a row for Caps...welcome back to earth! If the CBJ had not blown that 3-0 lead vs Buffalo the other night we'd be in first place all by ourselves.

• IF CBJ win the division, they likely get the lower WC in the first round, (3/15) would be the Islanders. It could also be the Lightning or Leafs.

IF CBJ are in 2nd or 3rd, the likely matchup is either the Pens (2-0-1 in favor of CBJ), or Caps.

IF Pens win the division, CBJ likely plays the Caps (breakers of "The Streak.") They are 2-1 vs the Caps with the lone loss being a 5-0 pummeling that ended the winning streak. The Verizon Center is a tough place to play, so home ice for Washington might not bode well.

Murray is 2-1-1 all time vs CBJh
    Holtby is 9-3-2 all time vs CBJ

My order of preference would be 

#1 Lightning - likely means they win the division, and it's Torts old team

#2 Leafs - CBJ playoff gamesin Toronto and they are President's trophy winners? What's not to like?

#3 Islanders - likely the tougher of those 3 potential WC teams.

#4 Pens - handled them well this year and the rivalry keeps growing, but they are defending champs and will be a tough round 1 draw. I want more Dubi vs Crosby too.

#5 Caps - loaded team that scares me. I think they can play defense in a way that just limits the CBJ.

• Hang on...I think the playoff seeding doesn't work like that.  You have the top three finishers in each division and then two wild cards but the WCs are not division specific and one or both can cross over for the playoffs.  So hypothetical scenario...

• Metro finishes Caps (President's Trophy), Pens, CBJ
    • Atlantic finishes Habs, Sens, Bruins
    • WCs are Rangers and Leafs with Rangers scoring more points

Caps are the higher seeded division winner so they get the lower seeded WC.  Habs are the lower seeded division winner so they get the higher seeded WC.  

So matchups in round one would be: Caps vs Leafs, Pens vs CBJ, Habs vs Rangers and Sens vs Bruins.  Both WCs crossover to opposite division

The winner of the Metro is as good as locked in as the higher seeded division winner so they will most certainly get the lower seeded WC.  The second WC is most likely going to be either the Bruins, Leafs, Lightning or Islanders.  So if the CBJ win the Metro, they will get one of those four teams.  Not sure who I prefer.

• You are correct. Working on edits...I looked at playoff matchups and the link I looked at had Rangers playing Caps so I assumed but know better.

• Honestly, I hate how well the Pens travel to Columbus and don't really want them in round one. Don't kid yourself, they will get their hands on plenty of tix. Our crowd will be louder but they will show really well and obnoxiously in our barn.

Gimme a Prez Trophy and one of the three bottom WCs.

• DoggyII wrote:

Honestly, I hate how well the Pens travel to Columbus and don't really want them in round one. Don't kid yourself, they will get their hands on plenty of tix. Our crowd will be louder but they will show really well and obnoxiously in our barn.

Gimme a Prez Trophy and one of the three bottom WCs.

I was at game 4 a couple years ago, there were definitely Pens fans in the building, but not nearly the amount you'd see during a regular season game. Hopefully there will be less this time around, assuming the CBJ play them in round 1.
  • I feel dirty but cheering for Devils tonight...to beat Pittsburgh :)

• Big OT win today vs what should have been a desperate Islanders team playing at home. Last time we were in Barclays it wasn't pretty for us...I know because I saw it live :(

We are now in a virtual tie for the President's Trophy woot woot. Only thing worse than #2 for us this year would be #3. I want #1 and playing the WC.

• Hopefully the Canes can sneak their way into this thing. They have managed 6 points in the last 4 games (2 wins, 2 OT losses). They still have a ways to go but have went from 12 points out of the last spot to 8, they also have at least one game in hand on everyone in front of them so there is that. You guys keep on keepin on and maybe just maybe you will draw the Canes in round 1.

• First place in the NHL.

March 18, 2017

For a few hours anyway.

• We tentatively seem to be rolling now.....is it too early?

• ejester wrote:

We tentatively seem to be rolling now.....is it too early?

Its good to be winning but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  We haven't exactly run the gauntlet of late: Devils x 2,Sabres x 2, Florida, NY Islanders and now today we get the Devils again.  We should be 5-1 or better in those last six!  And should be 6-1 after this early afternoon tilt!

• buckoff10 wrote:

First place in the NHL.

March 18, 2017

For a few hours anyway.

Technically "not" true. The Caps own the tiebreaker, which is another weird NHL rule: because the series isn't even in games, the first home game for CBJ gets thrown out. That makes it tied. But the other CBJ win was in OT, while the Caps won in regulation. They get the nod.

• And we still have one home and one away game against them so its all academic right now.

• DoggyII wrote:
    ejester wrote:

We tentatively seem to be rolling now.....is it too early?

Its good to be winning but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  We haven't exactly run the gauntlet of late: Devils x 2, Sabres x 2, Florida, NY Islanders and now today we get the Devils again.  We should be 5-1 or better in those last six!  And should be 6-1 after this early afternoon tilt!

I get that, BUT we should be rolling on them.....up 3-1 in the third.  My point is in the past we have played to our competition.  This year it seems we are beating the teams we should beat, and playing tough against higher competition, which is what "good" teams are supposed todo.

While i am not over confident in our chances in the playoffs, we should clinch today, if the score stays the same.  No guarantee we go past the first round depending on our opponent, but a better showing in this year than last time would be a great morale boost.